PDA

View Full Version : Tony Jefferson

jkm, the stolen pifwafwi
4/27/2013, 05:14 PM
So there are still like 30 picks, but if he isn't drafted and hasn't signed with an agent do you try to get reinstated for his senior year?

edit - using the Randolph Morris rule

MojoRisen
4/27/2013, 05:18 PM
I bet he already signed with an agent - I was thinking the same thing though...

toast
4/27/2013, 06:08 PM
I'm guessing it would be a pretty tough mental and emotional hurdle to come back.

cvsooner
4/27/2013, 06:41 PM
The other problem you have about coming back is scholarships. Only so many to go around.

I do wonder how much impact that story back in January where OU coaches were supposedly trashing his work ethic in the weight room and practice. Coaches denied it and called TJ to tell him they never said any such thing, but that rumor had to be coming from somewhere.

Twenty one safeties drafted and he wasn't one of 'em. Ouch.

jkm, the stolen pifwafwi
4/27/2013, 06:49 PM
The other problem you have about coming back is scholarships. Only so many to go around.

I do wonder how much impact that story back in January where OU coaches were supposedly trashing his work ethic in the weight room and practice. Coaches denied it and called TJ to tell him they never said any such thing, but that rumor had to be coming from somewhere.

Twenty one safeties drafted and he wasn't one of 'em. Ouch.

Work ethic hardly ever comes into play if you have talent (1/2 those LSU guys on that list were taken in rounds 1-3). Not getting drafted points towards doubts about talent and whether you can be productive in the league. Looking over his bio, there were serious concerns about his size and tackling ability in space. I think that is why he didn't get drafted. The sad part is that with some serious work this summer, he can get the tackling worked out at the college level.

badger
4/27/2013, 08:15 PM
Anyone else see the sad tweet? Here it is if not :(

Tony Jefferson ‏@tonyjefferson1 2h

Man.welp there's nothing I can do now.I can't even attempt to express how I feel right now. Y'all really don't know how hurt/confused I am!

To his credit, he followed up with these:

But foreal tho, I appreciate everyone who stood by me through this. Much love. Straight up!

Ima do it for the non believers in Arizona.. Signed with the cardinals

Y'all don't even understand the fire inside of me man. It's a rap..

Congrats on becoming a Cardinal, Tony. Work hard and believe in yourself and your potential to make the final roster! :)

SoonerinLondon
4/27/2013, 08:26 PM
Anyone else see the sad tweet? Here it is if not :(

To his credit, he followed up with these:

Congrats on becoming a Cardinal, Tony. Work hard and believe in yourself and your potential to make the final roster! :)

Welcome to the Shark reunion.

8timechamps
4/27/2013, 09:22 PM
If TJ goes to work in Arizona, he stands a really decent shot at making their 53 man roster. Their situation at safety isn't exactly exciting.

aj44mc
4/28/2013, 01:05 PM
I hated that the card picked up Honeybadger but this imo will make up for it.

Scott D
4/29/2013, 03:33 PM
I hated that the card picked up Honeybadger but this imo will make up for it.

arizona is really the only place he could have gone with any possible chance of redemption. basically Patrick Peterson will have to babysit him during the season and Peterson's dad during the offseason.

badger
4/29/2013, 03:38 PM
Patrick Peterson will have to babysit him during the season and Peterson's dad during the offseason.

Yeah, but it sounds like something they're willing to take on, so good for them.

Good for the Cards? Well, they'll likely pay Ty on the cheap as a non-1st round rookie and if he doesn't pan out, no major loss.

Scott D
4/29/2013, 03:44 PM
more importantly they can lessen Peterson's return scope by giving some of those returns to Mathieu, and Mathieu will never be more than a nickle corner.

cvsooner
4/29/2013, 05:54 PM
If Jefferson makes the Cardinals and winds up being safety, he'll get to face Tavon Austin on the field at least twice every year.

I'm sure he's looking forward to that.

I Am Right
4/29/2013, 08:36 PM
Stoops was right, listening to the media and agents isnt the answer

REDREX
4/30/2013, 05:00 PM
You never know about players----He may have had family reasons or was just tired of school----He could have played another year but that was not going to make him bigger or faster

jkm, the stolen pifwafwi
4/30/2013, 06:31 PM
You never know about players----He may have had family reasons or was just tired of school----He could have played another year but that was not going to make him bigger or faster

HIs size wasn't a game changer per se, the problem was his tackling ability combined with his size. And straight line speed without pads is a funny thing. You can train to get it faster (within reason). I'm not saying he could break 4.4 but getting to 4.65ish wouldn't be that big of a stretch. Seriously, Lane Johnson ran faster than he did.

Breadburner
4/30/2013, 06:39 PM
They all should stay off social media.....

thecrimsoncrusader
5/1/2013, 06:57 AM
If Jefferson makes the Cardinals and winds up being safety, he'll get to face Tavon Austin on the field at least twice every year.

I'm sure he's looking forward to that.

It probably won't be so bad since there will at least be two linebackers on the field and Gabe Lynn won't be anywhere in sight.

anglachel
5/3/2013, 12:27 PM
I had as high of hopes as anyone for Tony, but in truth he never panned out more than a slightly above average player. He has good instincts, but not the physical measurables for the NFL. Staying a year may have helped the Sooners, but I doubt it would've helped Tony. That being said I hope he proves me wrong and has a great career.

badger
5/3/2013, 12:49 PM

Pretty much. Also, some players (Javon Snead comes to mind) have likely decided before their junior year that it is going to be their last year. So, they try to avoid injury, probably avoid studying and classes, etc. So, they pretty much paint themselves into a corner --- will they even be eligible if they want to return for another year?

Family and friend pressures are really an annoyance of the college athlete game, aren't they? The kid is not your meal ticket! He's not your breadwinner! He's a ****ing kid that should not have the entire clan's hopes and dreams placed on his shoulders!

Interested in money, leeches? Here's a number for you: $5,700 (http://www.sfgate.com/sports/kroichick/article/Low-key-life-of-a-practice-squad-player-4110169.php). That's what practice squad players make each week during the regular NFL season, and they can be cut at any time (as ENA found out with the Packers, who cut him midseason).

But, bed made, lie in it, etc. Good luck, but the odds are against undraftees