PDA

View Full Version : Trent Dilfer on Landry's draft-- takes a dump on our offence

RoaminSooner
4/27/2013, 02:26 PM
What an asshat...

http://www.sbnation.com/nfl-mock-draft/2013/4/27/4275094/trent-dilfer-oklahoma-offense-landry-jones

EatLeadCommie
4/27/2013, 02:33 PM
didn't Dilfer have some strong opinions on Sam being in a gimmick offense as well?

FaninAma
4/27/2013, 02:36 PM
He was actually defending Landry. He had some valid points like not using a TE. He didn't need to engage in the hyperbole.

jkm, the stolen pifwafwi
4/27/2013, 02:44 PM
didn't Dilfer have some strong opinions on Sam being in a gimmick offense as well?

I believe he was the one that said Casey Clausen would be much better.

Salt City Sooner
4/27/2013, 04:04 PM
I believe he was the one that said Casey Clausen would be much better.
He did, but to his credit, he manned up & admitted he was wrong on that one. Kiper, on the other hand, has yet to do so, at least to my knowledge.

Lott's Bandana
4/27/2013, 05:05 PM
I actually come much closer to agreeing with him this time.

Soonerjeepman
4/27/2013, 05:10 PM
he played 13 yrs, was 58/55 as a starter, 113 TD - 129 INT, 1 pro-bowl...not a "stellar" career in my mind~

everyone has an opinion...not saying Landry is going to be a stud, but who knows.

toast
4/27/2013, 05:49 PM
He was actually defending Landry. He had some valid points like not using a TE. He didn't need to engage in the hyperbole.

In Josh's defense, it's hard to use a TE when: 1) you don't have a decent one on the roster due to poor recruiting (the past two seasons), and 2) your qb has never shown the consistent ability to process his reads to get to the TE.

jkm, the stolen pifwafwi
4/27/2013, 06:29 PM
In Josh's defense, it's hard to use a TE when: 1) you don't have a decent one on the roster due to poor recruiting (the past two seasons), and 2) your qb has never shown the consistent ability to process his reads to get to the TE.

You forgot 3) which is probably the most relevant reason. Why put a TE on the field when you have a FB (Milard) that is just as effective? What most people seem to forget is that guys can only get so far in the 4 seconds the QB has to throw. Having 3 of your 5 eligible receivers be slower guys in a pass-heavy offense really helps the defense.

cvsooner
4/27/2013, 06:40 PM
Trent Dilfer may be the absolute worst starting QB to ever have a Super Bowl ring. He was a jerk at Fresno State, a jerk at the Ravens and a loud-mouthed jerk on TV.

jduggle
4/27/2013, 06:58 PM
Yet...while he could have made his point in a much more amicable way, he was exactly right.

King Crimson
4/27/2013, 07:01 PM
i don't like our offense much either against a real front 7, but we did put 60 on Texas with it.

kidding a bit. we haven't been able to run the ball with "authority" for a long time.

toast
4/27/2013, 07:02 PM
You forgot 3) which is probably the most relevant reason. Why put a TE on the field when you have a FB (Milard) that is just as effective? What most people seem to forget is that guys can only get so far in the 4 seconds the QB has to throw. Having 3 of your 5 eligible receivers be slower guys in a pass-heavy offense really helps the defense.

true, and I would want to argue that Trey was under-used as well.

8timechamps
4/27/2013, 07:07 PM
I actually don't mind Dilfer, and I think he's not too far off the mark about OUs offense last year. However, the person that made the comment at the end of that video "their offense is all about getting big statistics, but not scoring points" is an idiot. It didn't sound like Dilfer's voice, but I guess it could have been him.

Therealsouthsider
4/27/2013, 07:34 PM
.....Notre Dame and A&M took a dump on our offense as well, what's the beef?

ss

Mazeppa
4/27/2013, 08:27 PM
One man's opinion that's all it is.

bluedogok
4/27/2013, 09:16 PM
Yet...while he could have made his point in a much more amicable way, he was exactly right.
...but then he wouldn't have made his hype-master bosses at ESPN happy. ESPN has become like political talk radio, the loudest and most obnoxious get the most attention.

badger
4/28/2013, 10:15 AM
Is this the place where we can bash Trent Dilfer? OK, here goes:

Trent Dilfer's Super Bowl Raven offense was so respected that the next NFL Draft, everyone drafted defense high.

The Ravens respected Trent leading them to a Super Bowl so much that they only kept him around for that season.

Nothing says "franchise quarterback" like spending only a few years with most of your NFL teams, right Trent?

In conclusion, CREAMSICLE.

texaspokieokie
4/28/2013, 10:41 AM
his career has nothing to do with whether or not he was right.

badger
4/28/2013, 10:42 AM
his career has nothing to do with whether or not he was right.

Sure it does. It takes one to know one!

texaspokieokie
4/28/2013, 10:46 AM
if you say so it's gotta be true.

sooner94
4/28/2013, 11:23 AM
Very similar to the comments Gruden made, just a lot more over the top. Dilfer is an idiot talking head. But Gruden is a credible source in my opinion.

VMG
4/28/2013, 12:41 PM
Some of you guys need to get a life away from OU football...

olevetonahill
4/28/2013, 12:49 PM
Some of you guys need to get a life away from OU football...

You/Him and the Horses Yall rode in on.

rock on sooner
4/28/2013, 03:41 PM
You/Him and the Horses Yall rode in on.

Why you so hard on the horses?:biggrin:

olevetonahill
4/28/2013, 05:52 PM
Why you so hard on the horses?:biggrin:

Heh

sooneron
4/28/2013, 10:15 PM
Sure it does. It takes one to know one!

With this logic, you have zero valid opinions on football, right?

hawaii 5-0
4/29/2013, 12:38 AM
Trent Dilfer is this year's Craig James.

5-0

TXBOOMER
4/29/2013, 06:26 AM
Not a fan of Dilfer, but I do not like our offense either. I believe this offense has a lot to do with weakening our defense. The quick tempo keeps our defense on the field for too many plays. Need to control the clock which is something g Bob has placed at the bottom of his priority list.

badger
4/29/2013, 08:23 AM
With this logic, you have zero valid opinions on football, right?

Pretty much!

Trent Dilfer is this year's Craig James.

How soon can be conned into an unsuccessful Senate run?

Not a fan of Dilfer, but I do not like our offense either.

If you hated the meerkat, that fortunately did not rear its ugly head at the Red/White game, so we can somewhat safely assume that the no-huddle, line-up-then-look-to-the-sidelines-instead-of-snap style might be gone now.

The hurry-up might be here to stay, but the meerkat-ness might be gone. It's not a total improvement, but it's something.

Bourbon St Sooner
4/29/2013, 08:30 AM
Landry will probably find the NFL easier than college because he'll find out he doesn't have to do it all at a place like Pittsburgh. We made no commitment to the running game and as jkm stated we underutilized our best offensive weopon. Basically, if Landry didn't do it, it didn't get done.

You can hate on Dilfer all you want, but I've never had a problem with calling a spade a spade.

cleller
4/29/2013, 08:49 AM
His name is Dilfer, after all. Close your eyes and say "Dilfer" a few times.

badger
4/29/2013, 08:56 AM
His name is Dilfer, after all. Close your eyes and say "Dilfer" a few times.

:mad: I don't want him to appear

goingoneight
4/29/2013, 09:47 AM
Heupel is running a poor man's version of Wilson's offense. Hard to disagree with that opinion. Landry would have won a Heisman with the surrounding cast Sam or say... AJ McCarron had.

MsProudSooner
4/29/2013, 10:09 AM
Hoover: Dilfer gets credit for speaking his mind, but he was way off on grading Sooners, Landry Jones

By JOHN E. HOOVER Sports Columnist on Apr 27, 2013, at 9:33 PM Updated on 4/27 at 9:33 PM

Not sure exactly which mountaintop from which Trent Dilfer has been watching Oklahoma football, but his lens seems a bit blurry.

Dilfer, a former NFL quarterback who admirably speaks his mind as an NFL analyst on ESPN, completely trashed OU’s receiver corps and co-offensive coordinator Josh Heupel on Saturday while analyzing Pittsburgh’s pick of Sooner QB Landry Jones in the fourth round.

Let’s address Dilfer’s scattershot commentary one sentence at a time.

“I do not hold him accountable for what happened last year,” Dilfer said.

Apparently, Dilfer is overlooking the fact that Jones played the best football of his career in a nine-game stretch following his awful performance in a home loss to Kansas State. (Dilfer also may have overlookedf that Heupel’s offense, despite its many flaws, ranked fifth nationally in passing offense, 12th in total yards and 15th in scoring offense.)

“The offense was a joke,” Dilfer said.

A joke? Come on. The offense had its problems, to be sure, but to label it a joke would reveal Dilfer as a TV talking head that’s simply trying to get his own brand out there by saying something outlandish. Sorry, Trent. Not buying that you really believe that.

“There’s no tight end. It’s spitball,” Dilfer said.

Here, he’s right on the money. Sort of. OU’s offense last season was spitball BECAUSE there was no tight end. The Sooners recruited three tight ends last year, but not one was good enough to play the role that Bob Stoops so cherishes. Tight ends make Stoops happy. Good tight ends give him little goosebumps. OU coaches actually should be applauded for adjusting on the fly and finding a way for Jones to succeed even though it was down year at an important position.

(For the record, I asked Heupel at the end of spring practice to describe how badly he wanted a tight end to develop in 2013 because the offense was forced to change a little bit last season.

“Not a little bit,” Heupel said. “We changed it a lot. Literally, we played in a different offensive scheme than we had. Basically we changed it halfway through two-a-days. How many times in the Coach Stoops era had you played without tight ends? Last year we played without them 90 percent of the time. We were a lot different than we had been in the past. We want to play with a tight end. We will play with a tight end as long as we’re going to play at a level that gives us a chance to play.”)

Dilfer was just getting warmed up.

“The receivers are brutal,” Dilfer continued.

OK, sorry, but this has now devolved into just making stupid comments. Two of those receivers, Kenny Stills and Justin Brown, were so brutal, they were drafted on Saturday. A third was a transfer who was declared eligible in the middle of the season and might be the best of the bunch. Another was a true freshman. Two returning receivers from 2011 were suspended for 2012 (Jaz Reynolds sat and Kameel Jackson was kicked off the team). Dilfer’s comment was brutal.

“The play-calling’s brutal,” Dilfer said.

OU fans have their own opinions about this. Chuck Long was predictable. Kevin Wilson was predictable. Heupel is predictable. If OU’s offensive coordinators are always so predictable, then why do so many defenses have trouble stopping them? Heupel is still growing as a coordinator, of course. He’ll get better.

“They take (Jones) out in the red zone. They never let him get to a flow,” Dilfer said.

He’s 100 percent right about this one. But why, exactly, was Jones so frequently shelved in favor of the Belldozer? Simple: because Jones was so frequently awful himself in the red zone.

Yes, OU’s running game was often as tough as wet cardboard. For awhile before Blake Bell emerged, short-yardage football at OU was a 50-50 proposition, and that’s bad. But Jones was too sketchy in tight situations. He threw six incompletions in a row in an unexpectedly close game at Kansas in 2011. He threw three straight in the disastrous loss to Texas Tech. And, as the Sooners trailed by two touchdowns in what became a loss at Baylor, Jones threw a fourth-down pass into the stands, instead of jamming a no-risk throw into traffic.

And all those things — which created the desperation that eventually gave birth to the Belldozer — happened in 2011. Guess what Dilfer said next?

“So my final grade on Landry Jones is go back to 2011,” he said.

Right. That’s some quality film study there, Trent.

“He’s a high-ceiling guy. I like a lot about him,” Dilfer continued.

I agree that Jones is a high-ceiling guy. Bill Polian, who knows a thing or two about quarterbacks (he drafted Peyton Manning in 1998) said he likes Jones’ big arm and big body. Jones clearly has the physical tools.

Alas, Dilfer wasn’t finished.

“I hate what they did in 2012,” Dilfer said. “That’s the problem, the whole offense is built around getting a lot of flashy numbers and not scoring points.”

Again, conclusively wrong. The need to score points (and pick up short-yardage first downs) was the whole impetus for the Belldozer, the only reason Jones came off the field. Jones wasn’t getting it done. Heupel and Stoops certainly didn’t unearth Bell for the fun of it.

In many ways, it was the OU coaching staff’s ability to redesign the whole scheme around Jones’ strengths and his weaknesses, their ability to improvise, adapt and overcome in the middle of the season — twice — that put the Sooner offense in a position to succeed.

In many ways, it was the OU coaching staff that put Jones in a position to be drafted in the first place.

http://www.tulsaworld.com/blogs/post.aspx/Dilfer_gets_credit_for_speaking_his_mind_but_he_wa s/54-20064

rock on sooner
4/29/2013, 10:21 AM
It's too bad there wasn't someone like Hoover on the ESPN
set to counter Dilfer's garbage rant!

jkm, the stolen pifwafwi
4/29/2013, 10:29 AM
gah, I had blanked that 4th down throw into the stands out of my memory

thecrimsoncrusader
4/29/2013, 10:43 AM
If I could have at least one simple and feasible change in regards to the Sooner offense under Coach Heupel it would be that he quits changing the tempo of the offense right in the middle of a series. Pick a tempo and stick with it for crying out loud! There's many other changes I would like as well, but this one would please me greatly. Tired of seeing the Sooners punt right after they slow the tempo back down. It's like they are trying to outsmart the opposition with the changing of the tempo, but more times and not, it just messes up the offensive flow.

And as big of a "glad Landry Jones is gone" fan that I am, while there was a reason for pulling Landry in the goal-line/red-zone scenarios in the 2011 season in favor of Blake Bell, they should have kept Landry in there in the 2012 season. He was making better decisions overall and OU's rush per average was much better than previous years. They really messed up the offensive rhythm bringing in Bell last season.

EatLeadCommie
4/29/2013, 11:46 AM
gah, I had blanked that 4th down throw into the stands out of my memory

me too

goingoneight
4/29/2013, 12:05 PM
I guess until the end of time, people will just be blissfully ignorant about why Bell came in for Jones. Bell didn't come in on 1st and 10, people. He came in because Oklahoma... not LJ... couldn't line up and run the ball effectively.

misplaced_sooner
4/29/2013, 12:26 PM
Alot of truth there, the sooners offense is exactly as he described...no rythm, unable to do anything other than bubble screens and quick routes.

thecrimsoncrusader
4/29/2013, 12:34 PM
I guess until the end of time, people will just be blissfully ignorant about why Bell came in for Jones. Bell didn't come in on 1st and 10, people. He came in because Oklahoma... not LJ... couldn't line up and run the ball effectively.

LJ also couldn't execute effectively in the red-zone (especially 10 yards and in) with his passing in the 2010 and 2011 seasons. It was mostly because of the inability not to run the ball effectively, but it wasn't the only reason.

jkm, the stolen pifwafwi
4/29/2013, 03:56 PM

We couldn't run in short yardage in 99 or 2000 either. The difference was that Josh could PASS in that situation. We went to Bell because we couldn't run OR throw in short yardage or goal line situations.

picasso
4/29/2013, 04:08 PM
he played 13 yrs, was 58/55 as a starter, 113 TD - 129 INT, 1 pro-bowl...not a "stellar" career in my mind~

everyone has an opinion...not saying Landry is going to be a stud, but who knows.
He also led an offense that went an entire month without a TD. He was a system guy in the NFL and that system was don't rely on your quarterback to win games. **** him.

Jacie
4/29/2013, 05:45 PM
This a critique of the Dilfer comments, an article on SoonerScoop and the link is also posted on The Newswire but it seems most of the posters on this thread missed it.

http://oklahoma.rivals.com/content.asp?CID=1500859&PT=4&PR=2

Some highlights:

Jones set career highs for completion percentage last season completing 66.1 percent of his passes.

What happened last year, is that Landry Jones and the Sooners had a career best in third-down conversions, something that had been a major issue in Jones' tenure.

The OU offense converted on 52 percent of their third-downs in 2012. That bested 2011, the year Dilfer said was so good, by 11 percent (41% third-down conversions in 2011).

In 2012, the Sooners scored 38.2 points per game. It wasn't as good as the 39.5 points per game scored in 2011. But 2012's totals were the second best totals in Landry's career as a starting QB at OU.

He didn't start fast, but he got going stronger than he ever did. We can even say we saw the best of Landry Jones during his career last season.