PDA

View Full Version : Tavon Austin

Eielson
4/26/2013, 10:02 PM
As many of you know, Sam will now be throwing to Tavon Austin and Stedman Bailey next year...the two guys that torched us last year. I rewatched some of that game, and it reminded me how we couldn't even touch the guy. That led me to a question. Has anybody ever done that to us before? I know we've gotten beat down pretty good before, but I can't recall somebody being so untouchable. Some of you guys have better memories than me, so I figured I'd ask.

boomersooner28
4/26/2013, 10:06 PM
The dude from Cincinnati a few years back still gives me nightmares. I erased his name from memory on purpose.

Fraggle145
4/26/2013, 10:21 PM
The dude from Cincinnati a few years back still gives me nightmares. I erased his name from memory on purpose.

True. It had a Z in it thats all I can remember.

Eielson
4/26/2013, 10:24 PM

If you're talking about Pead, then that's funny, because he's another one of Sam's weapons next year. I don't think he was on Tavon's level, though.

sooneron
4/26/2013, 10:30 PM
There was a guy named Sproles...

SanJoaquinSooner
4/26/2013, 10:34 PM
We got torched by Darren Sproles in the 2003 Big 12 Championship game with the #1 ranked 12-0 Sooners getting whipped 35-7.

235 yards rushing.

hawaii 5-0
4/26/2013, 10:36 PM

Marty Gilyard.

If memory serves, he was drafted by the Rams but cut.

5-0

hawaii 5-0
4/26/2013, 10:37 PM
I thought that RB from Baylor had a good game against us last season.

5-0

SoonerinLondon
4/26/2013, 11:16 PM
As many of you know, Sam will now be throwing to Tavon Austin and Stedman Bailey next year...the two guys that torched us last year. I rewatched some of that game, and it reminded me how we couldn't even touch the guy. That led me to a question. Has anybody ever done that to us before? I know we've gotten beat down pretty good before, but I can't recall somebody being so untouchable. Some of you guys have better memories than me, so I figured I'd ask.

Barry Sanders, Nolan Cromwell

Salt City Sooner
4/26/2013, 11:54 PM
Dezmon Briscoe.

jkm, the stolen pifwafwi
4/27/2013, 12:14 AM
We got torched by Darren Sproles in the 2003 Big 12 Championship game with the #1 ranked 12-0 Sooners getting whipped 35-7.

235 yards rushing.

Every time we've been torched, the opponent has used a similar recipe. Isolate an elusive player one on one in space with a safety that goes for the big hit.

RUSH LIMBAUGH is my clone!
4/27/2013, 12:40 AM
The dude from Cincinnati a few years back still gives me nightmares. I erased his name from memory on purpose.Some guy from UTEP last yr ate us for lunch, as well as Tavon Austin, Lache Seastrunk and johnny Hymen. We major el estunko on defense last year.

Eielson
4/27/2013, 12:53 AM
You guys have brought up some pretty nightmarish memories, but could any of these possibly dethrone Tavon's performance? 25 touches for 426 yards (17.04 yards per touch) is unreal. Even Barry's 39 carries for 215 yards (5.51 yards per touch) looks weak in comparison. I had to hold my breath every time he touched the ball. I literally thought we'd screwed ourselves by leaving 24 seconds on the clock when we scored.

Eielson
4/27/2013, 12:57 AM
Seastrunk is great, and I think he's a legitimate Heisman contender next year, but he had 15 carries for 91 yards against us. Of his last five games, that was clearly his worst. I'm not sure why his name is getting thrown around.

4/27/2013, 01:26 AM
Seastrunk is great, and I think he's a legitimate Heisman contender next year, but he had 15 carries for 91 yards against us. Of his last five games, that was clearly his worst. I'm not sure why his name is getting thrown around.Well, that's still over 6 yds per carry, and Seastrunk really came on against us in the 2nd half. As good as he is, I only rate him 3rd of the weapons used against us last yr. Tavon is first, johnny hymen second, and Seastrunk 3rd.

In all my years watching OU football, Johnny Hymen is the only QB I remember that the OU defense was AFRAID to rush, since it seemed they were scared he could elude all rushers, and break into the open for a long gain...and, he could and did.

Fraggle145
4/27/2013, 02:23 AM

**** that guy.

EatLeadCommie
4/27/2013, 03:14 AM
Nobody has killed us like tavon austin and nobody ever will. Studman will be the better pick though. He will be a possession guy. Givens the speed guy. Tavon is a huge risk. I think his big thing will be the return game

Breadburner
4/27/2013, 05:56 AM
Gale Sayers....

swardboy
4/27/2013, 06:30 AM
Tony Dorsett.....er, no.

Sam is happier than a kid at Christmas I'd say.

boomersooner28
4/27/2013, 07:42 AM
Gilyard had 365 All-purpose yards that day against us. Nowhere close to what Tavon Austin did to us last season.

VA Sooner
4/27/2013, 08:36 AM
Damn... all my PTSD came back in just one thread.

Can't believe Sam will be throwing to two guys that torched us last year... especially that speedster, Tavon. He's good... 4.34/40 good.

rock on sooner
4/27/2013, 09:35 AM
Damn... all my PTSD came back in just one thread.

Can't believe Sam will be throwing to two guys that torched us last year... especially that speedster, Tavon. He's good... 4.34/40 good.

Kinda small, IF a big LB or S gets a clean shot on him, or someone like
"The Hammer" on a return, then his career will be painfully short, imo...

Eielson
4/27/2013, 10:12 AM
Kinda small, IF a big LB or S gets a clean shot on him, or someone like
"The Hammer" on a return, then his career will be painfully short, imo...

He never missed a game in high school or college. He never even missed a practice. I think we all saw what happens when you go for the big hit on this guy.

rock on sooner
4/27/2013, 10:20 AM
He never missed a game in high school or college. He never even missed a practice. I think we all saw what happens when you go for the big hit on this guy.

Excellent point...'cept the NFL has the best of every team at every
position, so it isn't high school or the Sooner defense. I could be
wrong...I don't wish injury on anyone...

JLEW1818
4/27/2013, 12:04 PM

**** that guy.

Ditto

starclassic tama
4/27/2013, 12:28 PM

not to mention you aren't allowed to tackle in the NFL anymore... i think they hit a home run. the kid is a big play waiting to happen

Aries
4/27/2013, 12:41 PM
Marty Gilyard.

If memory serves, he was drafted by the Rams but cut.

5-0

That is correct

Eielson
4/27/2013, 01:23 PM
Remembering Pat White makes me not want to play WVU anymore.

MyT Oklahoma
4/27/2013, 01:41 PM

Sanders.. Cromwell and Darren Sproles all from the state of Kansas.

We don't have a wealth of Division 1 talent up here but thank God most of it heads south to Norman with these few exceptions.

P.S. Sanders wanted to be a Sooner but The King wouldn't offer him. Sanders never beat us but that was a gross oversight in judgment. Happens.

4/27/2013, 02:01 PM
...that speedster, Tavon. He's good... 4.34/40 good.AND, his moves are as good as his speed. IF he stays healthy, he will be a Superstar.

SoonerinLA
4/27/2013, 02:21 PM
Not in Tavon's league but another OU killer for one game was Arkansas RB Roland Sales. John Elway torched us one day too.

I still think Tavon had the best day ever against us I was there and still can't believe what l saw.

4/27/2013, 02:37 PM
Remembering Pat White makes me not want to play WVU anymore.We took WVU FAR too lightly. They had just lost to Pittsburg, i believe, to knock them out of the NC picture, and for some inexplicable reason, it looked like OU didn't come ready to play them in that Fiesta Bowl after the '07 season. I went to that abomination in Glendale AZ, I'm sorry to say.

landrun
4/27/2013, 02:41 PM
Well, I'm only 43 so I can't speak for every OU game.
But in my lifetime, though I've seen some sad performances by the OU defenses, I've never seen anyone do what Tavon did.

Like Mike Stoops said, I was glad they threw on their last drive rather than handing the ball to Tavon. WVU coach = idot. Or we would have lost.

He made Jefferson and every other db we had look like little girls. It was sickening to watch.

Lott's Bandana
4/27/2013, 05:13 PM
Deuce McAllister kick-started the glory to follow.

After that game I was in shock, given that dude's first half on us.

toast
4/27/2013, 06:11 PM
nm...someone already mentioned it

Okie35
4/27/2013, 06:30 PM
Dezmon Briscoe.

and he did that to us at home. I think that's more prevalent than anyone else mentioned.

cvsooner
4/27/2013, 06:38 PM
We took WVU FAR too lightly. They had just lost to Pittsburg, i believe, to knock them out of the NC picture, and for some inexplicable reason, it looked like OU didn't come ready to play them in that Fiesta Bowl after the '07 season. I went to that abomination in Glendale AZ, I'm sorry to say.

Yeah, I was there too. WVU was playing for Bill Stewart since RichRod had just dumped them for Michigan, and except for Bradford and Allen Patrick, nobody else seemed like they wanted to play for the Crimson and Cream. Just awful.

thecrimsoncrusader
5/1/2013, 07:42 AM
We took WVU FAR too lightly. They had just lost to Pittsburg, i believe, to knock them out of the NC picture, and for some inexplicable reason, it looked like OU didn't come ready to play them in that Fiesta Bowl after the '07 season. I went to that abomination in Glendale AZ, I'm sorry to say.

5 starters out including your best running back and best receiver spells big time trouble. With that said, I think OU would have still lost that game, but it certainly wouldn't have been a decisive victory by WVU.

Petro-Sooner
5/1/2013, 07:54 AM
Who is this guy supposed to be? Another thug?

C&CDean
5/1/2013, 08:22 AM
It doesn't matter who Sam has to throw to. You can't complete passes when you're laying on your back or running for your life.

SoonerAtKU
5/1/2013, 08:58 AM
It's a good thing they signed one of the best LTs in the league this offseason, then. Let's hope that makes a difference.

70sooner
5/1/2013, 12:00 PM

ya, but we got Cromwell back the next year in Lawrence. Broken leg and out for the rest of his Sr season...

5/1/2013, 01:03 PM
5 starters out including your best running back and best receiver spells big time trouble. With that said, I think OU would have still lost that game, but it certainly wouldn't have been a decisive victory by WVU.WVU was VERY good that year, and shouldn't have lost to Pittsburg for their conference title game. OU was depleted, AND we took WVU lightly. All things considered, we fans prolly shouldn't have been so surprised at the outcome of that Fiesta Bowl game.

thecrimsoncrusader
5/1/2013, 04:01 PM
WVU was VERY good that year, and shouldn't have lost to Pittsburg for their conference title game. OU was depleted, AND we took WVU lightly. All things considered, we fans prolly shouldn't have been so surprised at the outcome of that Fiesta Bowl game.

I certainly wasn't surprised about the outcome outside of the score differential and 300+ rushing yards. That kind of stung. Of course, I only thought that amount of rushing yards was bad until last season's game. heh