PDA

View Full Version : Is OU expansion possible yet ?

huskerland
4/25/2013, 07:33 PM
Just hoped by to get your blood pressure up. It seems to relaxed on this board! * Smile*. Yeah, I still follow OU football! Anyway, let me start a little conversation with food for thought. I think the Big isn't done yet! They got this thought stuck in their head
OU to the Big??? Is it possible?

http://collegesportsblog.dallasnews.com/2013/04/report-big-10-looked-into-acquiring-oklahoma-kansas-from-big-12.html/

goingoneight
4/25/2013, 07:45 PM
I really hope Boren and the powers that be take their blinders off about this "BIG 12 is still strong" lie. At best, we can only hope they add a couple more directional schools since Texas wants to be the only big dog here.

Petro-Sooner
4/26/2013, 07:28 AM
I don't see the big 12 around in 10-15 years. Just my opinion.

KantoSooner
4/26/2013, 08:42 AM
Well, the Big10 has a natural consituency in the Rust Belt, which will continue to have a large popullation base even as it slowly dies. The Pac10 has the left coast and some desert filler. The SEC has the old confederacy.

The Rest, well, the Big12 is close because we've got Texas. The state, not the school. Population, excellent source of players. And that's our base. Not as broad or as big as the others, so we have to figure out how to keep up with another three superconferences who cover more population and have more broadly flung footprints.

And, no, I'm not ingoriing the other conferences, it's simply that they don't matter. There'll be a Boise or FSU from time to time, but seriously, once you talk SEC, Big12, Pac10 and Big10, you're essentially finished talking about Div1 college football.

badger
4/26/2013, 09:11 AM
Just hoped by to get your blood pressure up.

Congratulations! I have decided that of Missouri to the SEC, Colorado to the Pac 12 and Nebraska to the B1G that you are THIRD of THREE in a ranking of conference reallignment buyer's remorse!

I don't think Colorado can do anything else to make the Pac 12 regret taking them any more than they already have. They will be No. 1 regardless of the competition. They add nothing in football, they add nothing academically compared to the Cali powerhouses and their basketball is okay not great. About all they add is legalized marijuana, and it's not like the west coast has a shortage of weed lovers.

Missouri really sucks at football, which sucks for the SEC. After years of not winning the Big 12 in football the SEC should have figured out what they were getting when they got yet another "Tiger," but nobody has ever accused the SEC of being smart.

Now, you guys in your B1G. I know you were all desperate to stop being owned by Texas, but being owned by Texas is not always bad. Having annual games in that state means you can recruit in that state. Having regional rivals that aren't way the **** over on the East Coast is not a bad thing, either. Being in a conference where you can suck at basketball and it doesn't really matter that much is also not a bad thing if you are Nebrasky.

Seriously, just come home to the Big 12, Nebraska. If Texas tries to bully you we'll give you a hug afterward. It is clear that the B1G is looking eastward and not westward at this point, so there's no point in sticking around. Plus, you are now longer an AAU member, so it's not like you have much in common with your huffy elitist Great Lakes snobbery, anyway.

MyT Oklahoma
4/27/2013, 01:46 PM
"Badges? We don't need no stinking badges."

P.S. That has nothing to do with this thread of course but I just felt like saying it because it's Saturday. I've been waiting all week to say it.

8timechamps
4/27/2013, 07:09 PM
Congratulations! I have decided that of Missouri to the SEC, Colorado to the Pac 12 and Nebraska to the B1G that you are THIRD of THREE in a ranking of conference reallignment buyer's remorse!

I don't think Colorado can do anything else to make the Pac 12 regret taking them any more than they already have. They will be No. 1 regardless of the competition. They add nothing in football, they add nothing academically compared to the Cali powerhouses and their basketball is okay not great. About all they add is legalized marijuana, and it's not like the west coast has a shortage of weed lovers.

Missouri really sucks at football, which sucks for the SEC. After years of not winning the Big 12 in football the SEC should have figured out what they were getting when they got yet another "Tiger," but nobody has ever accused the SEC of being smart.

Now, you guys in your B1G. I know you were all desperate to stop being owned by Texas, but being owned by Texas is not always bad. Having annual games in that state means you can recruit in that state. Having regional rivals that aren't way the **** over on the East Coast is not a bad thing, either. Being in a conference where you can suck at basketball and it doesn't really matter that much is also not a bad thing if you are Nebrasky.

Seriously, just come home to the Big 12, Nebraska. If Texas tries to bully you we'll give you a hug afterward. It is clear that the B1G is looking eastward and not westward at this point, so there's no point in sticking around. Plus, you are now longer an AAU member, so it's not like you have much in common with your huffy elitist Great Lakes snobbery, anyway.

Colorado is far from remorseful of going to the PAC. In fact, they would have made the move 20 years prior, if they could have. The other two I agree with though.

C&CDean
4/27/2013, 07:33 PM
If OU went to either the B-10 or PAC whoever we'd win even more conference rings than we do now. We'd pwen both conferences like Ike pwned Tina.

SoonerKnight
4/29/2013, 11:39 AM
Sounds good to me but I was hoping we could got to SEC!!

badger
4/29/2013, 11:40 AM
Colorado is far from remorseful of going to the PAC. In fact, they would have made the move 20 years prior, if they could have. The other two I agree with though.

Buyer's remorse, not seller's remorse. I meant that the conferences regret taking these underachievers, not the schools.

huskerland
5/7/2013, 08:37 AM

Texas in the rear view mirror is not a bad thing! Do you make this stuff up as you go along? Colorado is down now but will bounce back soon ( A few years). They have had many problems over the last few years. As for Nebraska the fans, they couldn't be happier! Playing the new teams is refreshing.. Watching the Big grow and ( it's about time!) Coverage for the Big is growing! I know this is a Sooner site but, to imply that husker fan are all sad or remorseful , is silly!

http://www.stltoday.com/sports/college/illini/big-ten-payouts-to-hit-million/article_4eef1c1a-5a79-5b79-899b-3dbf2a99c871.html

tycat947
5/7/2013, 09:06 AM

Priceless!!!

EatLeadCommie
5/7/2013, 09:11 AM
Regrettably, we are hitched to Texas. We can't go to the Big 10 without them or we lose our recruiting in Texas.

huskerland
5/7/2013, 06:58 PM
Regrettably, we are hitched to Texas. We can't go to the Big 10 without them or we lose our recruiting in Texas. That's what everyone told us but, I'd have to check but, isn't the Huskers latest QB recruit from Texas?> (Tommy Armstrong)!! When I wake up ; I'll find I'm only dreaming.. OU and NU same division Big Ten West. That sounds good to me

OU_Sooners75
5/7/2013, 07:56 PM
Unless there is some type of loophole to get out of the TV Rights agreement, then OU wont be making a move for at least 13 years.

Boren really screwed the pooch on this one!

RUSH LIMBAUGH is my clone!
5/8/2013, 01:37 AM
Unless there is some type of loophole to get out of the TV Rights agreement, then OU wont be making a move for at least 13 years.

Boren really screwed the pooch on this one!I know we can do worse than Boren(Holloman, for example), but Boren has coddled and protected OSU for way too long, and to the detriment of OU.

MI Sooner
5/8/2013, 08:28 AM
I really, really, hope somehow the big 10 expands again to like 20, adding UNC, UVA, GT or something in the east and OU, TX, and KU in the west, then splits into east/west divisions that look something like:

UT
OU
KU
Nebraska
Iowa
Minnesota
Wisconsin
Illinois
Northwestern
Indiana

I'd love a 9 game round robin + rivalry game with OkSt every year. Obviously you can wish in one hand...

OkSt, Texas, and Nebraska (Kansas for basketball) are the only schools that really move the needle at all from my perspective. Anyone else is only desirable based on how good they happen to be that year. Baylor or Northwestern, Iowa or Iowa St., same thing. I do think we likely need to be tied to Texas for recruiting (preserve the RRS, at minimum, even if not conference-mates), and I doubt state legislatures would allow KU/KSU and OU/OSU to split (wonder about TTU/Texas).

In my opinion, the SEC is the only best of the semi-realistic options, but I'd much prefer a plains division of a bigger conference. I'd prefer the current setup to Pac X, or expansion with realistic targets (UConn/USF).

PLaw
5/9/2013, 06:55 PM
Regrettably, we are hitched to Texas. We can't go to the Big 10 without them or we lose our recruiting in Texas.

Ha! OU recruited well in Texas long before we ever joined the Big XII.

I recall Switz taking 12 of their top 15 in one class.

Boomer