PDA

View Full Version : unbelievable...Blake NOT one of the top 75 players

Soonerjeepman
4/23/2013, 01:31 PM
espin has a 75 top NCAA Tournament players...not special criteria. Did NOT have to win it. He isn't in the top 75...BS!

Curly Bill
4/23/2013, 01:35 PM
Did Blake do something outstanding in the NCAA tournament that I don't remember, or lead us on a deep run in the tournament? If not, and again I don't rememebr it, then this is totally understandable.

badger
4/23/2013, 01:39 PM
Did Blake do something outstanding in the NCAA tournament that I don't remember

Don't tell me that you don't remember this!
http://i41.tinypic.com/2lkwtpw.gif

It was the Elite Eight, which I think should be considered a "deep run in the tournament"

Soonerjeepman
4/23/2013, 01:40 PM
Basically he was the only guy on the Elite 8 team, outplayed hansborough that game and he made the list. Also there are a ton of guys on the list that did as well as Blake did. Since it's all looking back I can't imagine that Blake didn't deserve at least #75.

*I will add that we did have some other players, crock was one..just saying Blake was the talk of the tourney.

Soonerjeepman
4/23/2013, 01:41 PM
Blake's layup that his head hit the backboard

Soonerjeepman
4/23/2013, 01:44 PM
Griffin scored 30 points and had 14 rebounds...against 'cuse

badger
4/23/2013, 01:46 PM
Not necessarily a highlight, but Blake also took a TON of abuse during the tournament, most notoriously the "judo throw"
nNwcw21NAdU

He got up every time and walked away coolly every time, never looking to fight. Big brother Taylor on the other hand... I think he might have had to be restrained a few times :D

<sigh> i miss watching brothers griffin play for OU. think we can convince their parents to have a few more?

Soonerjeepman
4/23/2013, 01:46 PM
http://www.utsandiego.com/photos/2009/mar/27/27553/

Soonerjeepman
4/23/2013, 01:49 PM
I went to that game...we couldn't believe that dude did that. Yeah the fans went crazy....their coach actually tried arguing it.

Curly Bill
4/23/2013, 01:59 PM
Blake did more in the tournament than I remembered! LOL But I still don't know about top 75??? And I am a huge Blake Griffin fan.

Soonerjeepman
4/23/2013, 02:06 PM
I understand...I just was comparing to some of the other names on the list. I really thought he had just a good of tourny..but it's all subjective.

Curly Bill
4/23/2013, 02:11 PM
The thing with the tourny is there are great players who never had great NCAA tourny runs, and there are a lot of average players who had great runs. Blake is an absolute beast of course, and I'd forgot the degree of success he had in the tourny, but he still doesn't leap out at me as an all-time NCAA tourny type.

Eielson
4/23/2013, 02:52 PM
The only reason Blake's performance in the Elite 8 isn't widely considered historic is because the Sooners lost. He absolutely manhandled Hansbrough...the guy who had Tebow status in the media at that time (he's not going to be an NBA superstar, but are we watching the greatest college career ever???!!!). Blake went against a front court of Hansbrough, Deon Thompson, and Ed Davis and still put up 23 points (9-12 shooting) and grabbed 16 boards. He was doubled all game, and sometimes even tripled, but OU couldn't take advantage of all the attention he was getting. If they'd have just gone 6-19 from three (many of which were wide open), it would've gone to OT. Instead they went 2-19.

Hansbrough, the all-time leading ACC scorer, had 8 points and 6 rebounds. That was one of only three times in his junior and senior seasons that he was held to less than 10 points. The potential Hansbrough/Griffin matchup was one of the biggest headlines going into the tournament. After the game, the media made some excuses for him, but nobody really had to ask who the better player was.

King Crimson
5/6/2013, 08:48 PM
we played that Tar Heels team closer than anyone i think. Crocker is the hero against Cuse and, yes, Blake outplayed Psycho T like there was no tomorrow.

oh well. our outside shooting was atrocious against UNC. great season....early featuring the enigmatic Juan Patillo.

King Crimson
5/6/2013, 08:50 PM
Blake beats Hansborough off the dribble on the baseline on one of our first possessions. it's hilarious how TH has no shot to defend B's first step.