PDA

View Full Version : 11 public universities with the worst graduation rate...2 from Okla

Soonerjeepman
4/23/2013, 09:14 AM
Rogers and Cameron...

The one big name was Coppin State, #11 at 16% graduation...WOW. There was Ohio (the Miami, Ohio one) but I think it was one of it's outreach campuses, along with Kent State.

Not bashin on the Okla schools, was surprised to see them. The number one had 4% with 75% Pell Grant recipients...Southern University at New Orleans.

SicEmBaylor
4/23/2013, 09:32 AM
Cameron doesn't surprise me but Rogers does somewhat. Although I'm more surprised that two schools as insignificant as they are even warranted being on the list regardless of their graduation rate. I would have thought there'd be plenty of better known public schools with graduation rates as bad or worse.

KantoSooner
4/23/2013, 09:54 AM
Look at their criteria. I am somewhat familiar with Rogers, as it has a branch campus here in Bartlesville. There are people who go there four years with the goal of a degree. There are others who go there for two years to get required courses out of the way and to save money before moving on to another school from which to graduate. Then there are a lot of the students who go there to take specific course work to gain some qualification for work or to satisfy an interest. My 75 year old mother took a photography course there two years ago.
If people like her are being counted as 'non-graduates' then the data are less then compelling.
Not sure what was being measured, but it bears watching.

badger
4/23/2013, 10:41 AM
A majority of students are women and Oklahoma does have a high teen pregnancy rate. Would not surprise me if that impacted it a bit.

I think it would be utter BS if they counted students that took random classes for fun as non-graduates. I remember a retiree in my OU intro spanish class back in the mid-aughts. He's not intending to graduate, he just wants to learn Spanish!

SicEmBaylor
4/23/2013, 10:49 AM
I can't figure out how someone could go to college and not graduate.

badger
4/23/2013, 11:15 AM
Since the costs are skyrocketing, I'd say that's a factor in not finishing. Sure you can take loans out, but that doesn't make people always want to go further into debt.

Time is another. If teenagers with no employment, living off their parents in a dorm on a meal plan find excuses to skip class, then working adults with families and jobs surely would also have difficulty attending classes.

College is also highest level of education many will attain or attempt. Endless research papers, intimidating midterms and final and expectations for class attendance and participation will weed some out inevitably.

Then, there are also the RG3s that can lead the Redskins to the playoffs rather than returning to college for another Heisman

Soonerjeepman
4/23/2013, 12:11 PM
yeah, the biggest was Coppin State, so they focused on little schools.....

jkjsooner
4/23/2013, 01:25 PM
Rogers and Cameron...

The one big name was Coppin State, #11 at 16% graduation...WOW. There was Ohio (the Miami, Ohio one) but I think it was one of it's outreach campuses, along with Kent State.

Not bashin on the Okla schools, was surprised to see them. The number one had 4% with 75% Pell Grant recipients...Southern University at New Orleans.

The Navy Seals also have a low graduation rate. ;-)

Curly Bill
4/23/2013, 01:34 PM
Too many folks head off to college out of high school because they think that's what they're supposed to do. A high percentage of em have no business setting foot on a college campus, and many of em will realize that and go find something else to do before getting a degree.

Tulsa_Fireman
4/23/2013, 01:48 PM
It's because it's in Claremore.

And Claremore is gay.

Soonerfan88
4/23/2013, 08:51 PM
I can't figure out how someone could go to college and not graduate.

Come on folks, how has this been left so long without a response?

yermom
4/23/2013, 09:01 PM

:D

FirstandGoal
4/23/2013, 09:09 PM

Yup, figured it had to be a trap

FirstandGoal
4/23/2013, 09:11 PM
...besides... I had a bad health scare day so I am definitely off of my game.

SicEmBaylor
4/23/2013, 09:12 PM
...besides... I had a bad health scare day so I am definitely off of my game.
You alright? I hope so! You amuse me.

FirstandGoal
4/23/2013, 09:15 PM
You alright? I hope so! You amuse me.

Looks like I will be around to amuse for at least a bit longer. No worries!

SicEmBaylor
4/23/2013, 09:16 PM

Looks like I will be around to amuse for at least a bit longer. No worries!
Good to hear!