PDA

View Full Version : scouts allow gay members but not gay adult leaders...

Soonerjeepman
4/20/2013, 05:36 PM
ok, WTH? why would you let your son join a troop that allowed gay scouts? The logic is the kid is attracted to boys/same sex members, so if he finds a fellow scout attractive, fun, his type...what would keep him from askin the fellow scout to ....well...whatever..be bf/bf, whatever teenage heterosexual kids do. The kicker is 90% chance the other kid isn't gay nor wants to participate, unlike m/f relationships. Puts the other troop members into some unusual situation. There are not individual shower stalls at camp for the kids..that I know of..all of our guys take showers in swim trunks.

Guess I liken it to putting a heterosexual boy on a vball team...which my son would love to be the volunteer for that! LOL

Maybe all gay troops?

C&CDean
4/20/2013, 06:34 PM
Hell. In a handbasket. TIA.

SoonerorLater
4/20/2013, 06:47 PM
Homosexuality in the Boy Scouts in any way, shape or form isn't OK. How did we ever get to this point in our country where this is even a discussion?

olevetonahill
4/20/2013, 06:49 PM
Hell. In a handbasket. TIA.

Heh, You said it,
http://weldbham.com/rerantragedy/files/2012/06/Two-dudes-kissing-in-a-handbasket-copy-300x300.jpg

diverdog
4/20/2013, 10:58 PM
ok, WTH? why would you let your son join a troop that allowed gay scouts? The logic is the kid is attracted to boys/same sex members, so if he finds a fellow scout attractive, fun, his type...what would keep him from askin the fellow scout to ....well...whatever..be bf/bf, whatever teenage heterosexual kids do. The kicker is 90% chance the other kid isn't gay nor wants to participate, unlike m/f relationships. Puts the other troop members into some unusual situation. There are not individual shower stalls at camp for the kids..that I know of..all of our guys take showers in swim trunks.

Guess I liken it to putting a heterosexual boy on a vball team...which my son would love to be the volunteer for that! LOL

Maybe all gay troops?

i saw the proposed change yesterday. If you want to read it pm me your email and I will send it to you. They have not voted on it.

The problem is the BSA got bullied. They never got ahead of the curve.

At the end of the day I do not think this is a huge issue. There are a lot of gay scouts in the BSA and we just do not know about them. The real issue maybe having two gay scouts in the same tent.

StoopTroup
4/21/2013, 02:38 AM
The real issue is whether the no sex rule at a campout was broken.

A SCOUT IS TRUSTWORTHY

I realize that thinking that nothing will ever happen is probably a very misguided and possibly negligent way to look at this considering that many social changes are happening in the recent past. That said Adults who are in charge of campouts and outings will find it increasingly difficult but that's where the teachings of Scouting become important IMHO.

Here's a link that gives a pretty good view IMO whether it is an Adult abuse or two Scouts abusing what is considered a Honorable Scout.

http://www.scouting.org/sitecore/content/BSAYouthProtection/BSA_Communications/ScoutHelp.aspx

okie52
4/21/2013, 05:15 AM
i saw the proposed change yesterday. If you want to read it pm me your email and I will send it to you. They have not voted on it.

The problem is the BSA got bullied. They never got ahead of the curve.

At the end of the day I do not think this is a huge issue. There are a lot of gay scouts in the BSA and we just do not know about them. The real issue maybe having two gay scouts in the same tent.

Probably ought to ban anal lube from camp outs...

C&CDean
4/21/2013, 07:50 AM
Merit badges for blowjobs.

diverdog
4/21/2013, 07:54 AM
Probably ought to ban anal lube from camp outs...

Most of our kids are in the 11-15 range. So I do not think it is a huge issue. The other thing is that most of our outings are pretty intense and the kids are usually asleep by nine.

badger
4/22/2013, 12:17 PM
I've heard that existing rules and the new rule will continue to disallow gay Scout leaders who are female, even if their sons are (or want to be in) Scouts.

I can understand to some degree wanting to prevent gay male leaders in Scouts, out of concerns for male/male attraction, but what is the risk in female gay Scout leaders, other than worrying that the boys will catch "the gay" from them or something stupid?

After being in (girl) scouts for years, I can't think of one instance where homo (nor hetero) sexuality came up. I also attended a few Boy Scout meetings because mom didn't want to leave me home alone and never heard anything rated but rated G stuff.

The closest we came was discussing the women's rights movement and other women in leadership positions in the U.S. today, but even then, it wasn't explicitly said "these women are gaaaaaaaaaayyyyy"

I really don't know how to feel on this issue, but the one about disallowing any gay scout leaders puzzles me a bit, if they are allowing gay scouts.

jkjsooner
4/22/2013, 01:14 PM
ok, WTH? why would you let your son join a troop that allowed gay scouts?

I wouldn't forbid my son from being in the scouts just because there's a possibility that there could be a gay kid. If I did that I'd have to stop him from playing on sports teams or be involved with any activity that might have an overnight stay somewhere.

As for scout leaders, I don't think it's appropriate to have a male around girl scouts (without plenty of women around as well) so I don't think it's appropriate to have gay men around boy scouts. I'm not saying that gay men are any less pigs than straight men nor that 99% of the men would be a problem but you need to just avoid potential problems.

jkjsooner
4/22/2013, 01:18 PM
I can understand to some degree wanting to prevent gay male leaders in Scouts, out of concerns for male/male attraction, but what is the risk in female gay Scout leaders, other than worrying that the boys will catch "the gay" from them or something stupid?

I may not be fully understanding what you're saying but I think society doesn't view women in the presence of young boys to be threatening. There are exceptions of course...

If you're talking about gay women around boys then I don't think it's threatening but I think you open up a can of worms if you allow that and not gay men.

badger
4/22/2013, 01:21 PM
If you're talking about gay women around boys then I don't think it's threatening but I think you open up a can of worms if you allow that and not gay men.

That's true I guess. They're probably already fretting over the public reaction to changing the existing policy.