PDA

View Full Version : Landry is the best QB in the Draft

Collier11
4/19/2013, 09:37 PM
The guy who helped build the great Colts teams (Bill Polian) of Peyton Manning stated today that Landry is the best QB in this draft...whether any of you agree or not, that is quite the compliment

olevetonahill
4/19/2013, 10:16 PM
I thinl LJ has the chance of being a great one. IF the right Team gets him.

Collier11
4/19/2013, 11:11 PM
There were some, including Gruden who said that the reason LJ peaked as a sophomore is because the coaches mis-used him. I know many of us disagree with that, but that opinion can only help him

olevetonahill
4/19/2013, 11:26 PM
There were some, including Gruden who said that the reason LJ peaked as a sophomore is because the coaches mis-used him. I know many of us disagree with that, but that opinion can only help him

I still believe that bringing in Bell on those 3rd downs ,his junior year DID undermine his confidence,

RUSH LIMBAUGH is my clone!
4/20/2013, 12:19 AM
As far as pure passing ability, he's as good as there is in this yr's draft. What remains to be seen is whether he can be taught to manage the game and what he's able to do under pressure in the pros.

aurorasooner
4/20/2013, 01:17 AM
Never thought he'd make some of the SFBs decisions that he did after Broyles went down. There's no question that he's got a quality arm, but there are plenty of college QBs that have had quality arms and are now selling insurance instead of playing in the NFL .
In all fairness to him, a quality OL, quality running game with some decent running plays that don't continually telegraph to the D where they're going so he won't always have to throw the ball on 3rd and 1 or 3rd and 2 ,and a team that actually uses a TE, would possibly help him. I just don't think he'll be successful in the league, but I do hope that he can make it as an NFL QB.

SoonerInFortSmith
4/20/2013, 01:35 AM
There's no way he won't have a long NFL career. Think of some of the QBs in the league. Landry has too good of an arm to not stick somewhere.

SanJoaquinSooner
4/20/2013, 02:55 AM
No doubt he has an NFL arm and that's as important anything else. But it alone is not sufficient. See Jeff George.

Hopefully, his out-of-pocket passing will improve with NFL coaching, or maybe his need to throw out-of-pocket will be minimal.

yermom
4/20/2013, 07:09 AM
I'll never forget him bailing us out at Morgantown or against the aggies in OT last year

he was clutch at the end of the season

3-1 in bowl games wasn't so bad either

VA Sooner
4/20/2013, 07:16 AM
He needs a good QB coach who can teach him how to work under pressure, especially NFL-caliber defenses rushing the QB

Soonerjeepman
4/20/2013, 08:42 AM
all I can say is look who the Chiefs have had over the last 20 years....and I'm not talking just starting qb's...Vlassic (better known as "the pickle" here..) was a back-up for 6 yrs...don't think he played a down.(corrected threw for 700 yrds 4 TD 5 pick - played for Chargers and Chiefs)..made prob at least 250K a yr for carrying a clipboard. Landry will be in the league for at least that long..maybe not a starter but def in the league.

wow did a search for salaries...incredible how much they've gone up in 25 yrs..lol

cleller
4/20/2013, 08:43 AM
I've always thought Landry looked much more like a pro QB than a college QB. In college, the QB also inherits the job of play-maker, drill sgt, cheerleader, and emotional speaker. Landry's not cut out for that.

The pro QB generally has been more of a guy to learn plays, hand off, and make strong throws. Landry can do that.

rock on sooner
4/20/2013, 09:01 AM
I still believe that bringing in Bell on those 3rd downs ,his junior year DID undermine his confidence,

^^^^^^This^^^^^^. Showed LJ was definitely a team player, though.

rock on sooner
4/20/2013, 09:05 AM
I said in another thread that if LJ can go to a team that has a
stud starter and a good QB coach he would do well. The Broncos
come to mind...mostly 'cause I'm a big fan (lived in CO for 12 years)
and there is a HOF QB there for at least a couple more years, that
plus team management has another HOF QB in Elway.

Mjcpr
4/20/2013, 09:16 AM
I'll never forget him bailing us out at Morgantown or against the aggies in OT last year

he was clutch at the end of the season

3-1 in bowl games wasn't so bad either

Or aggy in 2010....I think.

OUster
4/20/2013, 10:50 AM
Anyone have any idea where the "experts" are projecting LJ?

Collier11
4/20/2013, 03:58 PM
3rd to 4th is what I have heard, but it only takes a 1 team to fall in love with a qb

rock on sooner
4/20/2013, 05:03 PM
I've heard 3rd or 4th as well. I think he'll go higher, though...don't know
why, just do...

Tulsa_Fireman
4/20/2013, 05:19 PM
As much as I love what Landry Jones has done at our University of Oklahoma, I'm afraid there's another side to this statement that simply says that this QB class, simply put, sucks compared to others.

Again, not to undermine Landry Jones, but when Matt Barkley and Geno Smith are in the top tier of the position? That should tell you all you need to know.

8timechamps
4/20/2013, 06:02 PM
I said in another thread that if LJ can go to a team that has a
stud starter and a good QB coach he would do well. The Broncos
come to mind...mostly 'cause I'm a big fan (lived in CO for 12 years)
and there is a HOF QB there for at least a couple more years, that
plus team management has another HOF QB in Elway.

Would love to see him here, but the Broncos already have their "QB of the future" in Brock Osweiler (sp?). They'[ll be going for CBs/MLBs/WRs in this draft.

swardboy
4/20/2013, 06:04 PM
^this^

But hey, some of the greatest nfl qb's were pretty low draft choices.

oudivesherpa
4/20/2013, 09:00 PM
The QB position is changing, Mobile QB's are in. Slow accurate QB's are out.

rock on sooner
4/20/2013, 09:08 PM
Would love to see him here, but the Broncos already have their "QB of the future" in Brock Osweiler (sp?). They'[ll be going for CBs/MLBs/WRs in this draft.

Well, it IS a business and, since Elway sold his car dealerships for
$80+ million and then into the Broncos' front office, I'm thinking that
just maybe they'll rethink Osweiler (sp?) vs a Sooners all timer...least
wise I can hope!!

8timechamps
4/20/2013, 09:24 PM
Well, it IS a business and, since Elway sold his car dealerships for
$80+ million and then into the Broncos' front office, I'm thinking that
just maybe they'll rethink Osweiler (sp?) vs a Sooners all timer...least
wise I can hope!!

As a longtime Bronco season ticket holder, I'm right there with you. I'd put my call into the front office, but something tells me they won't care too much.

rock on sooner
4/20/2013, 09:36 PM
As a longtime Bronco season ticket holder, I'm right there with you. I'd put my call into the front office, but something tells me they won't care too much.

Welp, stranger things have happened, remember when everybody
was stunned when they took Steve Sewell?

Mazeppa
4/20/2013, 11:19 PM
The title of this thread made me laugh.

MyT Oklahoma
4/20/2013, 11:27 PM
I wish LJ only the best with whatever he choses to do in life.

Spray
4/21/2013, 10:06 AM
No doubt he has an NFL arm and that's as important anything else. But it alone is not sufficient. See Jeff George.

Hopefully, his out-of-pocket passing will improve with NFL coaching, or maybe his need to throw out-of-pocket will be minimal.

Just a note- Jeff George had a 13 year NFL career.

okiewaker
4/21/2013, 10:30 AM
I believe he will make a roster and do OK for himself. Shut the doubters up I hope.

Scott D
4/21/2013, 08:12 PM

Jeff George ended up having a pretty long NFL career.

Breadburner
4/21/2013, 08:57 PM
Jeff George was an *******....

bluedogok
4/21/2013, 09:41 PM
Well, it IS a business and, since Elway sold his car dealerships for $80+ million and then into the Broncos' front office, I'm thinking that just maybe they'll rethink Osweiler (sp?) vs a Sooners all timer...least wise I can hope!!
Elway has car dealerships again, a Chevy dealership on South Broadway in Littleton. He got back in the business after his non-compete clause over the sale of his previous dealerships expired.

Curly Bill
4/22/2013, 07:33 AM
That Ryan Leaf guy had a heck of an arm! ....takes a little more than an NFL caliber arm to really make it in the NFL. And yeah, I know LJ doesn't seem to have the issues Leaf did, but to suppose someone will make it in the NFL just because they have the arm for it is a reach.

Curly Bill
4/22/2013, 07:34 AM
I thinl LJ has the chance of being a great one. IF the right Team gets him.

You must have been hanging out in Denver on the 20th. :tongue:

olevetonahill
4/22/2013, 10:02 AM

:very_drunk:

rock on sooner
4/22/2013, 11:44 AM
Elway has car dealerships again, a Chevy dealership on South Broadway in Littleton. He got back in the business after his non-compete clause over the sale of his previous dealerships expired.

Be interesting to see how many more dealerships wind up with his
name on them.

badger
4/22/2013, 12:12 PM

With the 20th pick, the Denver Broncos select... TIM TEBOW!

(actually was 25th, but everyone knows you had to be high to be that high on Timmy Tee Hee)

Jacie
4/23/2013, 09:27 PM
The QB position is changing, Mobile QB's are in. Slow accurate QB's are out.

This trend will not mean that 100% of all NFL QB's will be the RG III-type. Given how the NFL burns through QB's despite the league's attempts to protect them, there will be a job for Landry sometime, somewhere.

CowboyMRW
4/23/2013, 09:54 PM
With the 20th pick, the Denver Broncos select... TIM TEBOW!

(actually was 25th, but everyone knows you had to be high to be that high on Timmy Tee Hee)

Tim Tebow is the talk of that draft, but the 2010 draft was actually a very, very good draft for Denver.

4/24/2013, 01:42 AM
This trend will not mean that 100% of all NFL QB's will be the RG III-type. Given how the NFL burns through QB's despite the league's attempts to protect them, there will be a job for Landry sometime, somewhere.He won't lose out.

swardboy
4/24/2013, 05:05 PM
5 players who could slip into the first round

http://l3.yimg.com/bt/api/res/1.2/DSFvKKpb6pegY7SDomnnIg--/YXBwaWQ9eW5ld3M7Zmk9Zml0O2g9Mjc-/http://l.yimg.com/os/388/2011/11/08/nfpost-logo_023517.gif (http://www.nationalfootballpost.com/)By Russ Lande | National Football Post – 3 hours ago

Over the last month, we have been inundated with many mock drafts and one constant is the approximate 25 players who are almost always listed as likely first round picks. With the 2013 NFL Draft tomorrow, we take a look at five prospects that could be surprise first round draft picks.
1. Sanders Commings, CB, Georgia, Senior (6001, 216 and 4.42): (http://www.nationalfootballpost.com/college_player_scouting_report.html&player=36508) While Dee Milliner and Xavier Rhodes have long been expected to be first round picks, in the last month Desmond Trufant and DJ Hayden have gained traction to likely join them. However, one player that has not received much publicity, but could sneak into the bottom of the first round is Georgia cornerback Sanders Commings (http://sports.yahoo.com/ncaaf/players/169366). Although his play at Georgia was inconsistent at times, there are few cornerbacks, if any in this year’s draft, with the combination of size and athleticism that Commings possesses. With very good height and a muscular build, he has the look of a safety, but he has the exceptional football quickness, hips and rare speed that are usually reserved for 5’9 cornerbacks. When he is focused, he is excellent in all types of coverage and has the ball skills to make plays on the ball with shocking ease. Overall, Commings’ on field play warrants more of a second / third round selection, but his rare physical gifts could lead to him being picked in the final 10 picks of the first round because of his upside and potential.
US PRESSWIREOhio State defensive tackle Johnathan Hankins (http://sports.yahoo.com/ncaaf/players/192555)works along the LOS to try and catch Denard Robinson.
2. Johnathan Hankins, DT, Ohio State, Junior (6027, 320 and 5.30): (http://www.nationalfootballpost.com/college_player_scouting_report.html&player=49107) In a year with so many elite defensive tackle prospects, Hankins has generally slid under the radar, but there is no doubt that he has the physical talent to warrant being a first round pick. A big defensive tackle, Hankins almost looks thin for his height, but still has the strength to dominate blocks at the point of attack. Even when he does not make the play, Hankins has consistently shown the ability to tie up offensive lineman and anchor at the point of attack. Even more impressive than his strength, is his ability to defeat blocks when he plays with leverage and aggressiveness along with his speed chasing down and finishing plays. The issue I have with Hankins is that he does not play with the intensity or aggressiveness on every snap necessary to be the dominant player he has the talent to be. While I believe his on field play warrant second round draft consideration, defensive tackles with his talent and versatility to excel at any defensive line position in a 34 defense and as a power defensive tackle in a 43 scheme give him excellent value and make him a potential late first round pick.
3. Landry Jones, QB, Oklahoma, Senior (6042, 225 and 5.12): (http://www.nationalfootballpost.com/college_player_scouting_report.html&player=36589) Definitely the quarterback I had the hardest time assigning an appropriate grade, there has been some “buzz” surrounding Jones the last few weeks. Based just on the notes I took when evaluating Jones I would assign him a third round grade due to his streaky play. However, while evaluating his play I charted out every pass he threw in the 2012 games I evaluated and when I plugged the results into the computer he ended up as the number two ranked quarterback with a first round grade. Jones has a big time arm to easily make every NFL with zip and when he is on he can be an extremely accurate passer. Standing strong in the pocket, Jones was able to make strong, accurate throws as the pressure closed in on him. Having played in Oklahoma’s offense which does not require the complex adjustments of an NFL offense, Jones will need time to adjust to making all the protection calls/adjustments that an NFL offense requires. With questions surrounding many of the quarterbacks this year, more than one NFL source has told me that Jones is one of the top three quarterbacks in their team’s draft boards. While I still would bet on Jones being a second round pick, there is little question he could end up being one of the final ten picks in the first round as quarterbacks with high end physical talent usually go higher than their on field production.
4. Jesse Williams, DT, Alabama, Senior (6033, 323 and 5.20 E): (http://www.nationalfootballpost.com/college_player_scouting_report.html&player=52720) For whatever reason, Williams has not received the publicity of an elite player, but it was clear from early in the first game evaluating him that he is a legit high end player with excellent NFL potential. Possessing rare playing strength, Williams makes it look simple anchoring vs run blocks, double team run blocks and can jolt and drive pass blocker backwards as if he is on skates. Still learning the nuances of playing American Football, Williams often does not make as many plays as he is physically capable of and is more of a disrupter than play-maker. I believe this is due to his lack of experience playing American football and raw technique. As the premier defensive tackles come off the board fast in this draft, I expect some team will reach out and pluck him in the first round; especially a team that plays a 34 defense because I am confident he can be a dominant nose tackle or defensive end in that scheme.
US PRESSWIREUSC receiver Robert Woods (http://sports.yahoo.com/ncaaf/players/193502) turns up the field running with the ball.
5. Robert Woods, WR, USC, Junior (6003, 201 and 4.51): (http://www.nationalfootballpost.com/college_player_scouting_report.html&player=48379) With all the receiver talk centering around the rare physical talents of Cordarrelle Patterson and Tavon Austin and the disappointing Pro Day workout of Keenan Allen, Woods has continued to be dramatically under-rated. At 6’0, with a solid build and running excellent routes, Woods has the deceptive quickness and burst to easily get separation from the best cornerbacks. Not only a sharp route runner, but also a smart receiver who is easily able to identify holes in zone/off coverage, sits down in them and works back to the QB when needed, Woods consistently makes tough catches in key situations. Although 40 times seem to carry an inordinate amount of influence when receivers are broken down, Woods is a much more polished receiver than Patterson and Austin. It is clear that Woods will at worst be selected in the second round; I believe he should be selected by one of the bottom five or eight teams looking for a “plug and play” receiver.
Email Russ at [email protected] and Follow Russ on Twitter @RUSSLANDE (https://twitter.com/)
Follow @footballpost (http://www.twitter.com/footballpost) on Twitter for the latest news
This story originally appeared on Nationalfootballpost.com (http://www.nationalfootballpost.com/5-players-who-could-slip-into-the-first-round-8562.html)

Collier11
4/25/2013, 07:26 PM
Landry has had some upward movement the last few weeks for sure, not sure about 1st rd but I could see him getting into the late 2nd or early 3rd. Jaws came out yesterday and hyped him up, Gruden has, as well as a few others. Many have blamed his regression on his coaches

nighttrain12
4/26/2013, 12:46 AM
Only 1 QB was taken in the first round and it wasn't Landry. Round 2 starts on Friday.

4/26/2013, 01:26 AM
Only 1 QB was taken in the first round and it wasn't Landry. Round 2 starts on Friday.Turns out E.J. Manuel is the best QB taken in the draft, huh?Surprised me, too. But, hey, he might work out.

BigJerm7
4/26/2013, 09:25 AM
JP Losman was a great first round pick too.

goingoneight
4/26/2013, 09:43 AM
Manuel may be better suited for what they want to do... But he's not exactly RG3, Kaepernick or Newton. That's the kind of hype he's been getting. I can't help but wonder if some of these people even watched his film in college. He's athletic, yes... but closer to Paul Thompson than these scramble and scatter kinda guys. FSU used him very well much like Wilson and Heupel did with Thompson.

cvsooner
4/26/2013, 11:15 AM
Landry is also 2-0 against Manuel.

Salt City Sooner
4/26/2013, 12:53 PM
Landry is also 2-0 against Manuel.
Ponder was FSU's QB in the Norman blowout.

cvsooner
4/26/2013, 01:28 PM
Ah. You're right. Okay, he's 1-0 against the starting QB now for the Vikings, and 1-0 against the 16th pick in the draft.

EatLeadCommie
4/26/2013, 07:16 PM
EJ Manuel makes the same bonehead mistakes that Landry does (actually, he makes more), but he's mobile. Still, that was a stupid pick. He is not a first round talent.

VA Sooner
4/26/2013, 08:29 PM
Agree... not first round talent.

Maui Sooner
4/26/2013, 10:13 PM
Looks more and more like Landry will be an undrafted free agent like I always thought. "Please don't hit me" Jones is not an NFL player. He is the worst QB OU has had in the Stoops era IMHO. Just my opinion.

Fraggle145
4/26/2013, 10:16 PM
He is the worst QB OU has had in the Stoops era IMHO.

Dumb. http://www.soonerfans.com/images/reputation/reputation_neg.png

Maui Sooner
4/26/2013, 10:31 PM
Who was worse?

nighttrain12
4/26/2013, 10:31 PM
Round 1, one QB taken.
Round 2, one QB taken.
Round 3, one QB taken.

But still no Landry Jones taken.

The final draft rounds, 4 to 7, will start Saturday at Noon (Eastern, I believe)

These NFL GM's do NOT like the QB choices in this draft.

nighttrain12
4/26/2013, 10:33 PM
Who was worse?

Off the top of my head, Bomar (even ignoring his car dealership scandal). The most prolific passer in OU history is Stoops worst QB? Please, go to SoonerSports.com and review the specific QB's that have started more than a few games for Stoops.

hawaii 5-0
4/26/2013, 10:43 PM
NFL teams draft players to suit their specific needs and programs.

Doesn't mean a higher drafted QB is better than another QB. If a team doesn't need a QB, why even draft one?

Are there some pre-teens posting on this Bored?

5-0

Maui Sooner
4/26/2013, 11:01 PM
Bored? Are there idiots posting on this board? Landry could not have started if any of the QB's since 99 had been on the roster. That is why one of the young guys will start next year instead of Bell. You young guys are stupid. I have been a sooner fan since '55. Landry was NOT a good QB according to OU standards. We need a great QB. Landry is not. Sorry. He is not. He can't move, he can't make good decisions, he can't even throw the ball away when he should. He is afraid to get hit. Face it. I still predict undrafted.

picasso
4/26/2013, 11:15 PM
Bored? Are there idiots posting on this board? Landry could not have started if any of the QB's since 99 had been on the roster. That is why one of the young guys will start next year instead of Bell. You young guys are stupid. I have been a sooner fan since '55. Landry was NOT a good QB according to OU standards. We need a great QB. Landry is not. Sorry. He is not. He can't move, he can't make good decisions, he can't even throw the ball away when he should. He is afraid to get hit. Face it. I still predict undrafted.
I've been a Sooner fan since Gomer Jones used to fart in the south end zone!
Paul Thompson! There ya go smart guy.

goingoneight
4/27/2013, 12:13 AM
So, I guess they made retarded fans back in Wilkinson's days, too.

4/27/2013, 12:35 AM
Landry CAN throw, but decisions...meh. Running...he simply WON'T. Pocket presence...very inconsistent. Best of luck to Blake, Kendall and Trevor.

Fraggle145
4/27/2013, 02:22 AM
Who was worse?

Bomar, Thompson, potentially Hybl... So basically he wasnt better than the 2 guys that won a Heisman or the guy that won a MNC. Holy **** on a cracker.

And you could easily make the case that he was more physically talented than Josh.

Like I've said before I didnt particularly care for Landry. But that doesnt mean the dude wasnt really good.

SoonerorLater
4/27/2013, 07:57 AM
Landry has fallen down this list on most charts. I think he will be drafted. Maybe the 7th to 10th QB taken. I wouldn't be surprised to see a team with pressing need for a QB to take hime as a 2nd QB in this draft similar to what the Redskins did last year.

TXBOOMER
4/27/2013, 08:25 AM
LJ was a really good QB. It is impossible to say how every other past QB at OU would have done if they had the number of starts he had in this dink and dunk fast paced offense. He had a ton of great games and laid several eggs. I don't think Landry likes contact and the NFL is brutal on QB's. I don't see him having much success there because of that. But he is a Sooner so I wish him all the best.

OUmillenium
4/27/2013, 08:46 AM
^ ding

FirstandGoal
4/27/2013, 09:33 AM
Deer.
Lowered.

Please make it stop.

bluedogok
4/27/2013, 11:52 AM
If you look at most of the backup QB's in the league Landry can be as good if not better than many of them, that is why I think he can make a roster somewhere. I don't think he is a long term starter but as a backup he can stick with someone and make good money. Look at the team rosters and tell me everyone is better than what Landry could be, there are a whole bunch of "just a guy" QB's on NFL rosters ....I mean Chase Daniel has stuck with the Saints for some years.

Ruf/Nek7
4/27/2013, 12:00 PM
And now he is a Steeler. Congrats to LJ! BOOMER

FirstandGoal
4/27/2013, 12:12 PM
And now he is a Steeler. Congrats to LJ! BOOMER

+1

rock on sooner
4/27/2013, 01:01 PM
Polian was interviewed again and repeated what he said (covered in
the first post of this thread) about LJ. I had hoped he'd get in to
back up a stud QB (Manning) but Big Ben ain't too shabby...just
as long as LJ stays out of the same bars!

VA Sooner
4/27/2013, 01:05 PM
Playing behind Big Ben will be a plus for him if he wants to have a career in the NFL. Needs some time with good coaching, work on technique and then get a few games of mop-up duty to give him a reasonable chance to survive the NFL.

Fraggle145
4/27/2013, 03:13 PM
I still predict undrafted.

Where ya at now asshat?

swardboy
4/27/2013, 04:00 PM
Just visited a Steeler message board. They are very happy with the pick for the most part. Polian's words have them jacked up, and I sense a little big Ben fatigue. Best to Landry.

Okie35
4/27/2013, 06:37 PM
LJ will be a solid back up for years and have numerous starts.

olevetonahill
4/27/2013, 09:08 PM
Well guess that show what you know about it.

nighttrain12
4/27/2013, 09:11 PM
One pothole on the road, a strip club bathroom door that doesn't lock ..... the chances are great that Landry Jones could be a starting QB in the NFL very soon!

bluedogok
4/27/2013, 09:11 PM
Roethlisberger has been known to get injured during the season, in an interview Tomlin said they used three QB's last season because of injuries. There is a good chance he could get some playing time.

Scott D
4/29/2013, 03:45 PM
in a bout of irony, Kiper and McShay said that Landry was the best fit for the situation in where he was drafted out of all the QB's that were drafted.

Taxman71
4/29/2013, 06:37 PM
Per Traber, the Steelers traded up for the first time in 40 years to get Landry. May be very telling given its one of the best run teams in the league history.

4/29/2013, 07:24 PM
Per Traber, the Steelers traded up for the first time in 40 years to get Landry. May be very telling given its one of the best run teams in the league history.If they can teach that preach how to tippie-toe round the pocket, and not run back-asswards when the monsters come at him, he could be a dang good one.

I Am Right
4/29/2013, 08:35 PM
Wow I hope he is right.

rock on sooner
4/30/2013, 02:38 PM
If they can teach that preach how to tippie-toe round the pocket, and not run back-asswards when the monsters come at him, he could be a dang good one.

He spent just 7 or 8 days with the QB guru in Cali and this past season
he showed more mobility and a willingness to throw it away versus
taking a sack....much more than in previous seasons. I agree with
you that if he gets a good, patient coach to work with him then the
Steelers will look like geniuses.