PDA

View Full Version : What's your main reason for owning firearms?

TAFBSooner
4/17/2013, 09:29 PM
I realize more than one reason applies, but pick the one that's most significant to you.

olevetonahill
4/17/2013, 09:31 PM
I love to fire em.

KABOOKIE
4/17/2013, 09:31 PM
I like them

MR2-Sooner86
4/17/2013, 10:58 PM
Because I can.

RUSH LIMBAUGH is my clone!
4/18/2013, 01:24 AM
#3,4 &5 are really all just "self defense".

KantoSooner
4/18/2013, 09:27 AM
Force of habit.
Some of them have been in the family for over 100 years.
No real reason to get rid of them.

Bourbon St Sooner
4/18/2013, 09:44 AM
I don't know what a Second Amendment remedy is, but it sounded good.

ouwasp
4/18/2013, 12:40 PM
I own a pistol that I haven't fired in many yrs. I did buy a Glock a couple weeks ago. I have handguns for the same reasoning I have a cellar in the backyard. Just in case...

Soonerjeepman
4/18/2013, 12:43 PM
self protection from: criminals, gov, and liberals.

4/18/2013, 12:49 PM
self protection from: criminals, gov, and liberals.3, 5 and 4 combined(c, e and d)

TAFBSooner
4/18/2013, 01:08 PM
self protection from: criminals, gov, and liberals.

Are you coming for us at the polling stations, or do you envision liberals accosting you on the street or breaking into your home?

:nightmare:

Soonerjeepman
4/18/2013, 01:19 PM
Are you coming for us at the polling stations, or do you envision liberals accosting you on the street or breaking into your home?

:nightmare:

both :disillusionment:

I kid...I can't stand the lib bs but would never "get ya"...

StoopTroup
4/18/2013, 02:49 PM
[Jody Arias]It excites my sexual partner. [/JA] :wink:

StoopTroup
4/18/2013, 02:50 PM
Because I can.

Really the best answer. Good Jorb

KantoSooner
4/18/2013, 03:51 PM
Snake shooting.

Not really hunting. Not really self defense. Kind of a topic all its own.

And any male who denies that shooting snakes is fun is lying. Especially rattle snakes. With a .12 with bird shot. From about 15 feet.

rock on sooner
4/18/2013, 03:58 PM
Snake shooting.

Not really hunting. Not really self defense. Kind of a topic all its own.

And any male who denies that shooting snakes is fun is lying. Especially rattle snakes. With a .12 with bird shot. From about 15 feet.

As a boy, I hunted water moccasins with a single shot .22, dint
have a shotgun til older, then it was .16 with a long barrel,
almost as tall as me and kicked three times harder...at least
you could aim that sucker with a compass and take care of
business!

Never deny shooting snakes...only good ones are dead ones!

KantoSooner
4/18/2013, 04:56 PM
And, with even less justification: armadillos. Little bastidges tear up my yard. Not too difficult to shoot. Best done by moonlight, with a single shot .20.
You forget, firing shotguns during daytime just the GODAWFUL AMOUNT OF FLAME that comes out the business end. Jeepers! And it somehow sounds a lot louder at night, too.

So, yeah, the armadillo is kind of an excuse for that thing that animates the male soul more than anything else (other than sex): **** what blows up.

Chuck Bao
4/19/2013, 01:12 AM
Again, I agree with Kanto. But I voted the "hunting" option. I inherited a shotgun, a rifle and a pistol from my dad. So far, I've shoot at or considered shooting at woodpeckers, armadillos, snakes and just recently wild pigs. I'm very confident that nobody is going to try to take those guns away from me, so that aspect of it seems just silly.

C&CDean
4/19/2013, 08:25 AM
In my blood. I can't ever remember not having guns around. Lots of guns. Hunting, fishing, self-defense, plinking, blasting, having fun.

We all learned at a very young age how to safely handle them. I've taught all my sons to safely handle them and they all were shooting by age 3 or so. My grandkids started shooting at about 3 as well.

We didn't really go on vacations, we went on hunting trips. We didn't throw the ball around with pop, we went shooting with pop. I don't buy the grandkids crap. I buy them firearms and hunting/shooting Wii games. We even practice safe handling of firearms with the Wii guns. All guns are guns.

KantoSooner
4/19/2013, 08:38 AM
I'm curious Dean, you have guns you use for fishing!? Tell me more. I want, nay, I NEED to go fishing with a gun. Like trout mebbe? walk along a little stream, spot the bastidge and then BAM! let him have it with a .45 perhaps? That refraction would be a bitch, but at least a little challenge.

4/19/2013, 02:03 PM
I'm curious Dean, you have guns you use for fishing!? Tell me more. I want, nay, I NEED to go fishing with a gun. Like trout mebbe? walk along a little stream, spot the bastidge and then BAM! let him have it with a .45 perhaps? That refraction would be a bitch, but at least a little challenge."Fishing" might be code talk for cat hunting?

C&CDean
4/19/2013, 02:11 PM
I'm curious Dean, you have guns you use for fishing!? Tell me more. I want, nay, I NEED to go fishing with a gun. Like trout mebbe? walk along a little stream, spot the bastidge and then BAM! let him have it with a .45 perhaps? That refraction would be a bitch, but at least a little challenge.

Turtles. We call it fishing cause we shoot them in/off the ponds. Very enjoyable pastime on a sunny spring afternoon. Little fuggers are pretty smart though. You've gotta be patient and still and they'll come back up and even crawl up on the dead wood and stuff above the water line. Pretty easy target. Head shots when that's all that's showing are much more challenging. I use a .22 mag rifle with a little 4x scope.

jkjsooner
4/19/2013, 02:42 PM
I'm shocked that not a single person has put "protection from the government."

I'm actually relieved by that. It's not that I don't think that there is never justification for overthrowing an oppressive regime but more because I've never really had anyone explain exactly how you know when that threshold has been crossed where normal channels of grievance resolution will not work.

I guess it comes down to the old history lesson that the winner is always right. If you fight back and you don't have enough people on your side to win then history will view you as a cop killer or whatever. If you win you're a patriot.

Anyway, we've all seen too many loons whose threshold of real or perceived rights violations that would justify an armed response is simply too low.

Anyway, just random ramblings...

TAFBSooner
4/19/2013, 03:03 PM
I'm shocked that not a single person has put "protection from the government."

I'm actually relieved by that. It's not that I don't think that there is never justification for overthrowing an oppressive regime but more because I've never really had anyone explain exactly how you know when that threshold has been crossed where normal channels of grievance resolution will not work.

I guess it comes down to the old history lesson that the winner is always right. If you fight back and you don't have enough people on your side to win then history will view you as a cop killer or terrorist or whatever. If you win you're a patriot.

Anyway, we've all seen too many loons whose threshold of real or perceived rights violations that would justify an armed response is simply too low.

Anyway, just random ramblings...

My thought last night was, "protection from government" would cover SWAT teams coming after you, and the sixth item was about what you just described.

IMO, the only way to accomplish number 5 is to stay off their radar, the which I've just blown. See Fan's comments on another thread about the presence in Boston today, but also "everyday" SWAT raids (which should be an oxymoron). Apparently a lot of people agree about staying off the radar.

Number 6 was supposed to be the offense side of that equation, and I'm glad that number is low as well. Although it's possible the "armadillo rollers" and "turtle plinkers" are really "leg-pullers." :ambivalence: