PDA

View Full Version : Ipod?

C&CDean
4/17/2013, 03:07 PM
Been out on the road alot. No laptop like back in the day when stamps were paying my way. Need some advice.

I've been thinking about an ipod, and really don't know enough about them to warrant plunking down $50-$700 bucks on one until I know what I'm getting. First question: Do they connect to the innerweb through your phone? Is there any advantage to purchasing one of the higher-end (version 4 or something like that) ipods? WTF is "retina screen?" Also, I hate typing on my phone (or any touchscreen). Do they have separate keyboard models?

C&CDean
4/17/2013, 03:12 PM
Did I mean ipad? ****, I don't know. The one that looks like a laptop.

badger
4/17/2013, 03:14 PM
Here's a place to start (http://ipad.about.com/od/iPad_Guide/a/How-To-Use-The-iPad-Best-Uses.htm)

We use NP's iPad for insta-browsing. Also fun to look up stuff while watching TV (or being on a message board at the same time. Yes, there are keyboard accessories if you don't like screen typing

XingTheRubicon
4/17/2013, 03:15 PM
http://img23.imageshack.us/img23/1382/turnf.jpg (http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/23/turnf.jpg/)

KantoSooner
4/17/2013, 03:26 PM
I'm fissin to switch my company over to a cloud-based info system and among other things will be using an ipad, with keyboard, for mobile data/email, etc. Should work, though I'll need to get some apps loaded to make things a bit easier. Should happen in the next month or so, so you can watch my experience as I soar or crash and burn and govern your decision accordingly if you want.

C&CDean
4/17/2013, 03:32 PM
So you can load apps like the iphone?

badger
4/17/2013, 03:37 PM
So you can load apps like the iphone?

Yes, and games and such too. However, the most common use seems to be Internet access on a more portable device. It's like taking a computer with you when you travel (even if you just travel to your couch).

C&CDean
4/17/2013, 04:05 PM
What about connecting via a phone/wireless/etc.?

Breadburner
4/17/2013, 04:18 PM
I think Ford makes one...But check for a recall.....

KantoSooner
4/17/2013, 04:56 PM
What about connecting via a phone/wireless/etc.?

The ipad connects by itself. It is, among other things, a phone. You'll need a service plan on it, as well as on your phone. and pay attention to the capabilities. Some are WiFi and some aren't and are just 3G, I believe.

C&CDean
4/17/2013, 04:57 PM
The ipad connects by itself. It is, among other things, a phone. You'll need a service plan on it, as well as on your phone. and pay attention to the capabilities. Some are WiFi and some aren't and are just 3G, I believe.

You can't tether it to your existing iphone?

yermom
4/17/2013, 05:09 PM
you can if you have paid AT&T for the privilege

an iPad is basically just a bigger iPhone, uses almost the same apps

you could get a laptop for about the same price though, if that is what you are used to... i still carry a Nexus 7 tablet and a netbook/laptop around, both of which i tether to my phone, but YMMV depending on your plan

StoopTroup
4/18/2013, 01:41 AM
I think I see why USPS was in trouble all these years. God forbid an employee buy any tools of the trade on his own dime. :D :wink:

sooneron
4/19/2013, 12:23 PM
I got my wife an ipad 2 last year when the 3 was released. Zagg makes a keyboard/ case that connects via bluetooth. It works really well. You rarely have to charge it and it feels like a macbook pro keyboard. It's a hundred bucks or so...

http://www.zagg.com/accessories/zaggkeys-ipad-profolio-plus-keyboard-case.php#7062
There's also a backlit version.

C&CDean
4/19/2013, 12:40 PM
For a common joe like me, is there any advantage to buying a 4 or the "retina screen" deal?

badger
4/19/2013, 12:47 PM
For a common joe like me, is there any advantage to buying a 4 or the "retina screen" deal?

More info on iPad4 here (http://www.techradar.com/us/reviews/pc-mac/tablets/ipad-4-1106634/review)

We have an original iPad and it still works just fine. If you're not a sucker for technology you probably just want something functional rather than something that you could...um... do this? "took an iPad, printed out a really hi-res image of an iOS system and stuck it on the front, we'd struggle to tell the difference - it's superb, and even squinting up close you'll be hard pushed to notice any pixelation."

I have not tried the newer iPad models so I really have no basis for that argument, other than "our original iPad is fine."

sooneron
4/19/2013, 02:52 PM

THere is a difference between the 2 & 3. I haven't seen enough of the latest to discern if it's that much better than the 3. I really like the 2. The main reason why I got it was because I had gotten the wife the first version and I was using it a lot on shoots as a teleprompter. So, we got another. Now the old one is mine and the kids... typical... scraps.

OklaPony
4/20/2013, 10:09 AM
I resisted the iPad revolution for as long as I could but finally took the plunge right after Christmas. What finally won me over is the ability to connect it via wi-fi to a small rackmount digital audio mixer and operate it remotely from wherever I choose. Among other things it eliminates my having to drag around a 80-ish pound audio snake and effects rack. Being just past the half-century mark I find myself looking for these types of back saving solutions more and more frequently, lol. Other than that it's become pretty handy for normal computer-related tasks. I found a refurb Gen 3 16 gig on Apple's website that was about $360.00 shipped at the time.

C&CDean
4/20/2013, 07:25 PM
I resisted the iPad revolution for as long as I could but finally took the plunge right after Christmas. What finally won me over is the ability to connect it via wi-fi to a small rackmount digital audio mixer and operate it remotely from wherever I choose. Among other things it eliminates my having to drag around a 80-ish pound audio snake and effects rack. Being just past the half-century mark I find myself looking for these types of back saving solutions more and more frequently, lol. Other than that it's become pretty handy for normal computer-related tasks. I found a refurb Gen 3 16 gig on Apple's website that was about $360.00 shipped at the time.

I prefer that people respond to my posts in the mother****ing King's English. Thank you very much. Sheez.

olevetonahill
4/20/2013, 07:42 PM
Why in hell does a Grown Man need that shat?
I have a Laptop. If I want to get on the innerwebs. I have a Phone to make and receive CALLS.
The rest of that shat is just showin off IMHO

SanJoaquinSooner
4/20/2013, 08:06 PM
This thread has potential.

OklaPony
4/20/2013, 09:00 PM
I prefer that people respond to my posts in the mother****ing King's English. Thank you very much. Sheez.
That'll cost extra.

C&CDean
5/5/2013, 08:02 PM
FYI, posting on my brandy-new Gen 4 Retina Ipad from my hotel in Nashville. Got a logitech keyboard cause I ain't ****ing typing on the screen. It's pretty cool.

C&CDean
5/5/2013, 08:03 PM
My only real beef is that there's no mouse. Still trying to get used to it.

Soonerfan88
5/5/2013, 08:57 PM
I got my mother the Samsung Chromebook for Christmas. She likes it much better than the tablets she tried and it's still small and light enough for her to carry around.

Glad you are enjoying your new toy.

jkm, the stolen pifwafwi
5/6/2013, 09:42 AM
More info on iPad4 here (http://www.techradar.com/us/reviews/pc-mac/tablets/ipad-4-1106634/review)

We have an original iPad and it still works just fine. If you're not a sucker for technology you probably just want something functional rather than something that you could...um... do this? "took an iPad, printed out a really hi-res image of an iOS system and stuck it on the front, we'd struggle to tell the difference - it's superb, and even squinting up close you'll be hard pushed to notice any pixelation."

I have not tried the newer iPad models so I really have no basis for that argument, other than "our original iPad is fine."

The biggest issue with the original ipad model is that it doesn't airplay video (only audio). That feature is really the only thing that makes the apple tv worth it.

Dean, the best part of the ipad is having 250 books along at any point since you can run any book reader on it.

SoonerAtKU
5/8/2013, 12:05 PM
I got my mother the Samsung Chromebook for Christmas. She likes it much better than the tablets she tried and it's still small and light enough for her to carry around.

Glad you are enjoying your new toy.

I told my Mother in Law to get one when she complained about not having some functionality on her iPad. Gave her the link and everything. $250, no fuss, no muss. What does she come home with? An $800 monster of a laptop with some idiotic 3 year service agreement and 9 kinds of AV software that all conflict with each other. Nothing works and instead of using her PAID FOR service agreement, she wants me or my wife to troubleshoot her brick of a bad decision.

Eff. That.

Take it to the blueshirts you just HAD to pay in advance.

yermom
5/8/2013, 04:30 PM
heh.

had enough time on the phone doing that, huh? :D

SoonerAtKU
5/9/2013, 04:25 PM
You and me both, buddy.

soonerboomer93
5/11/2013, 12:49 PM

All are wifi, you can get 3g in some models. I was just given a 1st gen with wifi and 3g, haven't used the 3g. It's not bad, except it won't do iOS6