PDA

View Full Version : Regal Cinema reacts to AHA...

swardboy
4/16/2013, 01:39 PM
I've stayed away from this forum since its inception because I literally don't need to elevate my blood pressure. But this infuriates me. Yeah, it's from Breitbart, and it's true:

Monday, Regal Entertainment Group, the largest movie theatre chain in the country, announced that thousands of employees will have their work hours cut (http://www.foxnews.com/us/2013/04/15/nation-biggest-movie-theater-chain-cuts-workweek-blaming-obamacare/?test=latestnews#ixzz2QcVadLFv)-- as a direct result of the added cost of the new ObamaCare mandates that become effective later this year.In a memo to employees, management was blunt: “To comply with the Affordable Care Act, Regal had to increase our health care budget to cover those newly deemed eligible based on the law's definition of a full-time employee.”
Fox News reports that, as a result of cutting employees' work hours (which is, of course, the same as a pay cut), full-time Regal managers have resigned in "a wave" after their hours and pay checks were slashed by as much as twenty-five percent.
The manager told FoxNews.com ObamaCare has had the unintended consequence of taking food off his table.
“Mandating businesses to offer health care under threat of debilitating fines does not fix a problem, it creates one," he said. "It fosters a new business culture where 30 hours is now considered the maximum in order to avoid paying the high costs associated with this law.
“In a time where 40 hours is just getting us by, putting these kind of financial pressures on employers is a big step in a direction far beyond the reach of feasibility for not only the businesses, but for the employees who rely on their success," he said.
In order to avoid the added cost of providing health insurance for employees working 30 hours a week (as ObamaCare mandates), it only makes sense for companies to schedule employees for 29 hours. So anyone who was working full-time is now being hit with a 25% pay cut.
Moreover, in a jobless "recovery" like the one we've been suffering under for four long years now, employers hold all the cards. And even if someone is able to find another job, what are the chances that employer won't be making the same decision to avoid the expense of ObamaCare?
The most under-covered story in the media this year is and will continue to be the effect ObamaCare is having on America's working class -- those who are losing their health insurance and the crucial work hours that can make all the difference when you live on the margins.

sappstuf
4/16/2013, 01:45 PM
When the government creates a huge incentive to keep as many workers as possible under 30 hours, it shouldn't come as a surprise when companies do it.

But to many on the left, it is a complete surprise.

FaninAma
4/16/2013, 01:55 PM
Those who vote for politicians who favor bigger government get what they deserve. Too bad a lot of other people who didn't get to suffer the same consequences. Again, if we had a country envisioned by the framers of the Constitution this massive overreaching by the federal government wouldn't be happening. You can thank Abraham Lincoln, Woodrow Wilson, FDR, LBJ, Nixon and now Obama. Also, throw in several thousand do-gooder senators and congressmen into the work.

We now have a morass of beauocratic over regulation that stifles growth and rewards ineffecient deep-pocketed corporations that have a relationship with the regulators and money printers inside the federal government. Throw in a permenent and growing dependent underclass and you have the cesspool that is the United States today.

olevetonahill
4/16/2013, 01:57 PM
When the government creates a huge incentive to keep as many workers as possible under 30 hours, it shouldn't come as a surprise when companies do it.

But its exactly what Obammy wants. Cut every one down to part time.
If every one just works 30 hours or less then Employers will hire MORE part timers therefore increasing the ranks of the employed and the Libs take credit for "Creating" jobs.

Soonerjeepman
4/16/2013, 01:59 PM
I've stayed away from this forum since its inception because I literally don't need to elevate my blood pressure. But this infuriates me. Yeah, it's from Breitbart, and it's true:

Monday, Regal Entertainment Group, the largest movie theatre chain in the country, announced that thousands of employees will have their work hours cut (http://www.foxnews.com/us/2013/04/15/nation-biggest-movie-theater-chain-cuts-workweek-blaming-obamacare/?test=latestnews#ixzz2QcVadLFv)-- as a direct result of the added cost of the new ObamaCare mandates that become effective later this year.In a memo to employees, management was blunt: “To comply with the Affordable Care Act, Regal had to increase our health care budget to cover those newly deemed eligible based on the law's definition of a full-time employee.”
Fox News reports that, as a result of cutting employees' work hours (which is, of course, the same as a pay cut), full-time Regal managers have resigned in "a wave" after their hours and pay checks were slashed by as much as twenty-five percent.
The manager told FoxNews.com ObamaCare has had the unintended consequence of taking food off his table.
“Mandating businesses to offer health care under threat of debilitating fines does not fix a problem, it creates one," he said. "It fosters a new business culture where 30 hours is now considered the maximum in order to avoid paying the high costs associated with this law.
“In a time where 40 hours is just getting us by, putting these kind of financial pressures on employers is a big step in a direction far beyond the reach of feasibility for not only the businesses, but for the employees who rely on their success," he said.
In order to avoid the added cost of providing health insurance for employees working 30 hours a week (as ObamaCare mandates), it only makes sense for companies to schedule employees for 29 hours. So anyone who was working full-time is now being hit with a 25% pay cut.
Moreover, in a jobless "recovery" like the one we've been suffering under for four long years now, employers hold all the cards. And even if someone is able to find another job, what are the chances that employer won't be making the same decision to avoid the expense of ObamaCare?
The most under-covered story in the media this year is and will continue to be the effect ObamaCare is having on America's working class -- those who are losing their health insurance and the crucial work hours that can make all the difference when you live on the margins.

just curious...what does? the fact ama was passed and applauded by folks who didn't even READ the whole thing or have ANY clue how it would affect businesses or that companies are trying to save themselves in a major economic tussle?

Midtowner
4/16/2013, 04:13 PM
Let's see if they're able to actually staff their facilities at an acceptable level. You are talking movie theaters with teenagers working minimum wage jobs though.

cleller
4/16/2013, 05:44 PM

Now there's a logical cause-effect situation. Maybe now the feds will change "full time" status to 30 hours?

Or, more likely, AHA will be modified to cover part-timers, too. Shoot, movies were already too expensive (not to mention lousy) to go out to see one.

RUSH LIMBAUGH is my clone!
4/16/2013, 07:21 PM

But to many on the left, it is a complete surprise.When the govt. comes a -throttlin', we are expected to Take it in the Shorts. The Lib mind is almost always surprised when people try to dodge a bullet.

SanJoaquinSooner
4/16/2013, 08:16 PM
They charge 5 bucks for a coke and $8 for popcorn.

How can they not afford health insurance for their employees?

yermom
4/16/2013, 09:05 PM
bittorrent, DVDs, and NetFlix?

FaninAma
4/16/2013, 09:39 PM
Let's see if they're able to actually staff their facilities at an acceptable level. You are talking movie theaters with teenagers working minimum wage jobs though.
Yeah, lets hope they close down or raise ticket prices to $15. What are they thinking trying to run a business in a competitive market.

FaninAma
4/16/2013, 09:40 PM
They charge 5 bucks for a coke and $8 for popcorn.

How can they not afford health insurance for their employees?

I couldn't have summed up the liberal mindset any better than your idiotic question did.

Midtowner
4/16/2013, 09:50 PM
Yeah, lets hope they close down or raise ticket prices to $15. What are they thinking trying to run a business in a competitive market.

You misunderstand. I don't think this is much of a change from what they already do, but if they're going to hire all part timers at minimum wage, at least this'll be a place a kid can still get a job.

SanJoaquinSooner
4/16/2013, 10:31 PM
I couldn't have summed up the liberal mindset any better than your idiotic question did.

Are you able to articulate what is idiotic about it?

swardboy
4/17/2013, 09:42 AM
Real estate, equipment purchases, insurance (property/liability/health...who knows what else), film rights, food inventory, utilities, maintenance, grounds upkeep, equipment leases for concessions, repairs, employee wages....I'm missing a lot here probably. And they are not in it for charitable purposes. They seek to make a profit. Just because a lot of money is moving through a business doesn't mean a lot is making it to the bottom line.

And now a monster of regulation is unleashed in the form of AHA on 1/6th of the American economy. If I were to go about killing business in America, this would be the recipe

badger
4/17/2013, 11:07 AM
I think a lot of businesses are using Obamacare to cut staff hours in a weak economy.

In the movie business, there is increasing competition from Netflix (and Netflix-like services), people having their own home entertainment mammoths with surround sound, large TVs, you name it, and other entertainment options.

In addition, how many must-see can't-miss blockbusters have there been in the last year? Someone already mentioned how expensive concession stand stuff is, but ticket prices are pretty high now too.

So what we have here is the perfect storm, in the middle of a bad economy. Regal Cinema could say "Our business sucks right now," OR, they could say "Obamacare caused us to cut hours!"

Hmmm...

SoonerAtKU
4/17/2013, 01:32 PM
Well, they could do what AMC are doing, and a few others, which is switching to more full-service high-end experiences with awesome chairs, food, chairside service, etc. If you want to compete with my couch, you have to offer something my couch doesn't.

For me personally, I love going to the movies, and the popcorn and the experience is enough. I doubt seriously that I'll ever stop going, but for those that don't have that mindset, it's easy to see why they'd rather stay home.

Bourbon St Sooner
4/17/2013, 03:58 PM
Wal-Mart is doing the same thing in response to the AHA. I suspect a lot more retailers and service industry companies will do this as well.

cleller
4/17/2013, 07:55 PM
Well, this was in the new today. Democrat Max Baucus, who helped write the ObamaCare sees a "train wreck" coming due to bumbling implementation:

http://news.yahoo.com/top-dem-sees-train-wreck-165302491.html

Boy, that will make you feel good. One of the guys that was responsible for the whole schlemiel is dogging it.

yermom
4/17/2013, 08:59 PM
with all the concessions, i'm not sure what it really does anyway

RUSH LIMBAUGH is my clone!
4/18/2013, 01:32 AM
Real estate, equipment purchases, insurance (property/liability/health...who knows what else), film rights, food inventory, utilities, maintenance, grounds upkeep, equipment leases for concessions, repairs, employee wages....I'm missing a lot here probably. And they are not in it for charitable purposes. They seek to make a profit. Just because a lot of money is moving through a business doesn't mean a lot is making it to the bottom line.

And now a monster of regulation is unleashed in the form of AHA on 1/6th of the American economy. If I were to go about killing business in America, this would be the recipeLots of people, including too many on this forum, continue to believe the democrats have honorable intentions, and that their nonsense might "work"...yeah, I know.

badger
4/18/2013, 11:45 AM
I really wish that AHA focused on kids and retirees first before the rest of us young, healthy, seeking employment age adults. A trial run would have been able to work out the bugs, loopholes and problems with the system. I know there's working age adults that need healthcare help too, but the status quo is what they've dealt with for years and they'd probably be able to hold out longer.

But, like I said earlier, I strongly suspect AHA is simply an excuse to cut hours in a weak economy.

Bourbon St Sooner
4/18/2013, 12:39 PM
We should be trying to get rid of employer provided health care, not expanding it. The first thing I would do is ban group health insurance. A system where healthy people subsidize those that make poor lifestyle choices is a bad system.

BigTip
4/18/2013, 01:02 PM
Well, this was in the new today. Democrat Max Baucus, who helped write the ObamaCare sees a "train wreck" coming due to bumbling implementation:

http://news.yahoo.com/top-dem-sees-train-wreck-165302491.html

Boy, that will make you feel good. One of the guys that was responsible for the whole schlemiel is dogging it.

Wow. I would say unbelievable, but ...wow. Does, "I tried to tell ya" make any sense?

It is good to see though. Maybe a repeal of this cluster f**k is possible.

sappstuf
4/18/2013, 02:21 PM
I really wish that AHA focused on kids and retirees first before the rest of us young, healthy, seeking employment age adults. A trial run would have been able to work out the bugs, loopholes and problems with the system. I know there's working age adults that need healthcare help too, but the status quo is what they've dealt with for years and they'd probably be able to hold out longer.

But, like I said earlier, I strongly suspect AHA is simply an excuse to cut hours in a weak economy.

The only way Obamacare comes close to working is by forcing the transfer of wealth from the young(poor) to the old(wealthy). It is a central tenant of the entire legislation.

It is too bad the young don't realize that they were royally f&*^ over by "The One".

StoopTroup
4/18/2013, 02:54 PM
Are you able to articulate what is idiotic about it?

Evidently no. LMAO