PDA

View Full Version : Whitney got drafted tonight.....

Salt City Sooner
4/15/2013, 09:58 PM
32nd pick to San Antonio

Boomer.....
4/16/2013, 07:19 AM
Good for her! Not sure how it's going to work out with Landry getting drafted to another sports city.

Midtowner
4/16/2013, 07:47 AM
There's a good chance one of 'em will in a few short years fail to make a roster. At that time, I hope they've banked whatever money they've made and they'll have a decent start on pursuing some sort of ministry.

Curly Bill
4/16/2013, 07:49 AM
She got drafted higher than her husband is gonna! LOL

Who'd have thought that, oh say...one or two years ago??

Ruf/Nek7
4/16/2013, 08:25 AM
I seriously would not be shocked to see Houston or Dallas pull the trigger on Landry in the middle rounds.

Curly Bill
4/16/2013, 09:02 AM
They were talking on ESPN Dallas how Landry might be a good grab for the Cowboys if he was available in the 4th round.

badger
4/16/2013, 09:27 AM
For the sake of comparison and clarity and all that jazz...

1- The WNBA is 36 picks, three rounds.

Being drafted 32nd overall in the WNBA is NOT comparable to being drafted 32nd in the NFL draft.

2- The WNBA has only 12 teams and limited rosters.

I *think* teams can have no more than 12 active players on each roster. Draftees, even first rounders, are often the casualties of roster cuts in favor of experienced veterans. By comparison, the NFL almost-never (i recall a few) cuts draft picks from the first three rounds, has larger rosters AND more teams than the WNBA.

3- The WNBA has a summer season, the NFL has a fall/winter season.

If Whitney Hand makes the San Antonio team, she can still be with Landry during his NFL football season in Landry's NFL football team town. The WNBA regular season ends in mid-September, with playoffs finishing a bit after that. Perfect timing!

So, congrats to Whitney, but it's a longshot for her to make a WNBA roster... and when she does, fingers crossed, it will not interfere with Landry's NFL stuff.

rock on sooner
4/16/2013, 01:00 PM
Congrats to Whitney! I'm guessing that whether or not she pursues the WNBA
will depend on where LJ goes (and when). I wouldn't be surprised at all if LJ goes
in 2nd or third round. Looking at the QB's in the draft, a good QB guru in the league
might take LJ as a project...maybe Denver for when Manning hangs up his cleats.

badger
4/16/2013, 02:21 PM
One other thing to consider that our friends at ouhoops.com brought up: Whitney is not medically cleared to compete again till July, but San Antonio would retain her rights for next season if she chose to return.

Thus, I think it's quite foreseeable for Whitney to sit out this WNBA season regardless, then perhaps give it a shot next season, considering her husband's NFL career prospects and her injury rehab.

sooner_born_1960
4/16/2013, 02:33 PM
College is the end of the line for women's basketball anyway. She probably should just move on, and settle in wherever her husband finds work.

Salt City Sooner
4/16/2013, 02:43 PM
College is the end of the line for women's basketball anyway. She probably should just move on, and settle in wherever her husband finds work.
I hope my sarcasm meter is broken on that one. The WNBA isn't all that great of a paying league comparatively speaking, but if they're willing to travel, there's some good money to be made overseas for women's hoopsters.

sooner_born_1960
4/16/2013, 02:46 PM
OK. Or, move overseas.

badger
4/16/2013, 02:50 PM
My sarcasm meter's not broken and I generally agree. Veterans tend to hog the few roster spots in the WNBA, there's little job security here or overseas (I imagine that the same horror stories that plague male bball players overseas are the same for female ones) at the pro level and the crowds are not as forgiving (or full) as they are at OU.

If you can do it, awesome, but unlike the guys, professional basketball player isn't something that is a realistic goal for women. Hell, the first 4-time All American player (Courtney Paris of course) is still having trouble finding a WNBA roster spot after her team folded.

Chuck Bao
4/18/2013, 03:08 AM
I also want to add my congratulations to Whitney for being drafted by the Silver Stars.

The Silver Stars very well know Whitney since a member of their organization has been involved with announcing OU games.

I imagine that there is much more involved in this draft choice than the short-term potential of filling out a limited roster. As Badger pointed out, Whitney won't have medical clearance to play again until mid-way through this upcoming WNBA season. Besides, to make next year's roster, she'd need to go to Europe and play in one of their leagues to gain more experience playing at the next level.

There is no need to mention here that Whitney is articulate and a very popular spokesperson for the sport. I thought that she did a tremendous job during the recent ESPN roundtable discussion on the development of women's sports under Title IX.

In my opinion, Whitney has a very bright future in women's basketball, either on the court or courtside. How she and her husband work out their careers is probably best left to them to decide.

Statalyzer
6/13/2013, 07:25 PM
If you can do it, awesome, but unlike the guys, professional basketball player isn't something that is a realistic goal for women

If they are good enough, sure it is - unless you meant it doesn't pay enough to be a "I could be set for a life if I manage this well" deal like the NBA is.