PDA

View Full Version : Boston Marathon finish line explosions

badger
4/15/2013, 02:13 PM
Developing/breaking/etc.

Thoughts and prayers to Massachusetts :(

Finish line live camera here (http://boston.cbslocal.com/2013-boston-marathon-finish-line/)

Boomer.....
4/15/2013, 02:32 PM
Wow! People are so sick!

StoopTroup
4/15/2013, 02:37 PM
Lots of injuries and now they seem to be leaning towards there being some deaths.

Boomer.....
4/15/2013, 02:49 PM
Heard reports of at least 3 dead.

Possible secondary bombs found.

Boomer.....
4/15/2013, 02:59 PM
Now up to 12 dead.

:(

Curly Bill
4/15/2013, 03:00 PM
This is gonna sound crass...but if only we had bomb control, we could have prevented this.

...but for realz, it sucks that there are people out there that just wanna hurt other people.

Ton Loc
4/15/2013, 03:09 PM
How do you not have the finish line secure? You'd think that and the start line would have been their #1 priorities.

reflector
4/15/2013, 03:17 PM
This sounds really scary.

RUSH LIMBAUGH is my clone!
4/15/2013, 03:57 PM
This is gonna sound crass...but if only we had bomb control, we could have prevented this...
You are CORRECT! If there's a law against something, it can't be done. That is, no one can do it.

Boomer.....
4/15/2013, 03:58 PM
Third bombing at the JFK library.

rock on sooner
4/15/2013, 04:05 PM
Correct about three explosions, ABC just said up to 65 injuries and
two confirmed dead...all this as of 4:00 P.M. CST...

Petro-Sooner
4/15/2013, 04:09 PM
I wonder if the person that pulled this off has bomb insurance.

C&CDean
4/15/2013, 04:15 PM
People don't kill people, bombs do.

I wonder if it was an assault-style bomb?

Boomer.....
4/15/2013, 04:22 PM
This sounds like it's a much bigger deal than first thought.

colleyvillesooner
4/15/2013, 04:25 PM
Heard they have video of someone leaving backpacks around. Terrible news.

Apparently the Newton school shooting families were in a VIP area nearby but no injuries.

live updating blog

http://www.boston.com/

XingTheRubicon
4/15/2013, 05:11 PM
Glad I'm not fast/young enough to qualify for Boston...

I'll stick to Dallas' whiterock marathon, with no explosions

C&CDean
4/15/2013, 05:15 PM
This is exactly why I quit running marathons...

jkjsooner
4/15/2013, 05:46 PM
Deleted my response because I don't want to go there in this thread. I'll let others make arses out of themselves.

StoopTroup
4/15/2013, 10:51 PM
8 year old boy and a middle age Woman are supposedly the two dead but as of 10pm or so they are saying there is 3 dead. Considering a few Iraq War Vets that were in the area have said the carnage reminded them of the aftermath of roadside bombs, it seems pretty lucky that there was only 3 dead. Of course there are around 8 still in critical condition so we should probably pray for them as they fight through their injuries.

okiewaker
4/15/2013, 11:12 PM
Dude said,,,screw your 30 round clip ban,,,I got me a backpack filled with explosives. I hope they find the sumbee.

Turd_Ferguson
4/15/2013, 11:20 PM
Whitehouse made sure to go straight to "terrorism" instead of some video...

T's & P's for those involved.

jkjsooner
4/16/2013, 09:40 AM
Glad I'm not fast/young enough to qualify for Boston...

I'll stick to Dallas' whiterock marathon, with no explosions

Yep. It's hard to qualify for Boston. If you wonder why there was a bunch of old people around the finish line, it was about 4 hours (minus whatever it took to cross the starting line) and assuming that they matched the qualifying performance the men would have had to be 65 or older.

Age Men Women
18-34 3:05 3:35
35-39 3:10 3:40
40-44 3:15 3:45
45-49 3:25 3:55
50-54 3:30 4:00
55-59 3:40 4:10
60-64 3:55 4:25
65-69 4:10 4:40
70-74 4:25 4:55
75-79 4:40 5:10
80+ 4:55 5:25

jkjsooner
4/16/2013, 10:05 AM
Did anyone notice the guy asking the questions at the press conference (the one with Boston PD, etc.) yesterday? His first question was asking if this was a plant to further erode our civil rights or something like that. He kept yelling this out every chance he got.

I guess anyone can get into a press conference. I'm sure the fact that he asked these questions will be used as proof to all the conspiracy nuts that there was a conspiracy.

Edit: Just looked it up. It was this guy.

Dan Bidondi, a "reporter/analyist" (sic) for Alex Jones' Infowars, managed to ask Massachusetts Gov. Deval Patrick the very first question in a nationally televised press conference.

Why were the loudspeakers telling people in the audience to be calm moments before the bombs went off? Is this another false flag staged attack to take our civil liberties and promote homeland security while sticking their hands down our pants on the streets?

Soonerjeepman
4/16/2013, 10:36 AM
sad day, but unfortunately I've got so little faith in the gov right now that I could def see it being a plant...I pray and hope not. I would think it'd be more of another assault weapon attack to promote the gun ban but then you'd have to have a shooter. This could be another showing of needing more homeland control as well.

Midtowner
4/16/2013, 11:01 AM
That's kind of crazy talk. A plant? Is a conspiracy theory now the go-to?

It's kind of the worst "plant" I could imagine. How much gov't would be required to keep individuals from assembling and detonating improvised explosives?

pphilfran
4/16/2013, 11:08 AM

It's kind of the worst "plant" I could imagine. How much gov't would be required to keep individuals from assembling and detonating improvised explosives?

They actually built the things in the Oval Office...

olevetonahill
4/16/2013, 11:10 AM
Ya cant Pass laws to prevent Crazy mother ****ers from doing Crazy mother ****in shat cause the Crazy mother ****ers are too dayum mother ****in Crazy to understand.

pphilfran
4/16/2013, 11:11 AM
Ya cant Pass laws to prevent Crazy mother ****ers from doing Crazy mother ****in shat cause the Crazy mother ****ers are too dayum mother ****in Crazy to understand.

That is just crazy talk...

olevetonahill
4/16/2013, 11:12 AM
They actually built the things in the Oval Office...

I heard it was Malia and Sasha's Home work from science class , Obammy helped em design it.

Soonerjeepman
4/16/2013, 11:22 AM

yes it is....just like Bush and 9/11..

nope just throwin it out there....as far as your last statement, didn't say the gov would take that route, this situation could be used to start other controlling aspects of our freedoms in this country. Again, not sayin it's that at all, but I'm sure there is a group of gov folks that would love to control everything just like there is a group that would love to let everything loose, neither is good.

pphilfran
4/16/2013, 11:44 AM
I heard it was Malia and Sasha's Home work from science class , Obammy helped em design it.

They are now saying there were only two bombs...

So that eliminates the WH conspiracy since 100% of the bombs actually worked....

KantoSooner
4/16/2013, 12:28 PM
In related news, I am not sure I exist. I could be a self-aware character of this way cool alien in another dimension, thousands of years away from here....if 'here' has any meaning at all.

I used to share this sort of thinking.

Then I stopped dropping acid

badger
4/16/2013, 12:42 PM

So that eliminates the WH conspiracy since 100% of the bombs actually worked....

They are also saying that the bombs were designed to look like garbage. From the Tulsa World (http://www.tulsaworld.com/article.aspx/Boston_bombs_said_to_be_made_from_pressure_cookers/20130416_13_0_BOSTON649193):

were fashioned out of pressure cookers and packed with shards of metal, nails and ball bearings

I think I saw a similar idea on a TV show once.

Soonerjeepman
4/16/2013, 01:10 PM

lol...yes, not for what happened but the ineptness of the WH~

Soonerjeepman
4/16/2013, 01:14 PM
Ya got to think that SOMEONE saw something at some point. Especially if it's just a crazy local...I would think this part of the race area has been full of people for several days preparing. I can't imagine that someone didn't see someone put something in the trash cans...course at the time it was probably just a bag, so people thinking it's trash.

KantoSooner
4/16/2013, 02:30 PM
They are also saying that the bombs were designed to look like garbage. From the Tulsa World (http://www.tulsaworld.com/article.aspx/Boston_bombs_said_to_be_made_from_pressure_cookers/20130416_13_0_BOSTON649193):

I think I saw a similar idea on a TV show once.

Badger, Putting the explosive into a pressure cooker would have the effect of making a more effective bomb by containing the blast for a microsecond and compressing the shock wave. It wouldn't have made a huge difference, but is evidence that whoever put the devices together either knew what they were doing themselves, or were coached by people who did (or perhaps were just diligent readers of the Anarchist Cookbook or some such). If they just wanted camoflage, the best going is to cover the thing in a dirty diaper. Noooooobody will disturb it.

badger
4/16/2013, 03:14 PM
the best going is to cover the thing in a dirty diaper. Noooooobody will disturb it.

My dogs love dirty diapers when baby baj is still wearing them. Seriously, it's like a little baby bomb detector goes off in their heads and suddenly they're sniffing (nobody eating lunch I hope...) and licking the area.

Proof once again that dogs are the most useful and awesome creatures on the planet. Why did I wait till I was married before having one (actually two)

Soonerjeepman
4/16/2013, 03:49 PM
My dogs love dirty diapers when baby baj is still wearing them. Seriously, it's like a little baby bomb detector goes off in their heads and suddenly they're sniffing (nobody eating lunch I hope...) and licking the area.

Proof once again that dogs are the most useful and awesome creatures on the planet. Why did I wait till I was married before having one (actually two)

and hence my argument with the son (17) that dog's mouths are clean...so letting them lick your mouth is good~ NOT!

StoopTroup
4/16/2013, 10:16 PM
If there is something to point fingers at I would think that it would be that you will never have enough security to keep people safe in an open/free society. That said....I think it shows that Volunteers and regular folks come to the aid of the fallen quicker than a bunch of doughnut eaters who are standing around pulling their guns during an explosion.

Is Homeland Security as effective as the War on Drugs?

jkjsooner
4/17/2013, 09:17 AM
Is Homeland Security as effective as the War on Drugs?

They catch a lot more than they let through. Considering how incredibly hard the job must be, I think their track record is pretty darn good.

What I find funny is that so many conspiracy folks are questioning why the finish line wasn't secured and implying that that means it's a government operation. The same people say that this is a false flag attack to further erode our freedoms. So on the one hand they're questioning why everyone wasn't searched but on the other hand complaining that this will lead to everyone being searched.

KantoSooner
4/17/2013, 10:43 AM
conspiracy theorists tend toward the shallow end of the gene puddle intelligence-wise.

C&CDean
4/17/2013, 11:08 AM

This pretty much sums it up. IMO, we need to drop all the stupid security bull**** like searching/wanding at sporting events, etc. It doesn't save lives, and you simply cannot legislate crazy. If crazy wants to kill, crazy gonna kill. You just have to a) be prepared for crazy, b) deal with crazy harshly, and c) know that sometimes you're just in the wrong place at the wrong time.

MsProudSooner
4/17/2013, 12:10 PM
This pretty much sums it up. IMO, we need to drop all the stupid security bull**** like searching/wanding at sporting events, etc. It doesn't save lives, and you simply cannot legislate crazy. If crazy wants to kill, crazy gonna kill. You just have to a) be prepared for crazy, b) deal with crazy harshly, and c) know that sometimes you're just in the wrong place at the wrong time.

On a related note, a Tulsa station (94.1) posted this on their Facebook page today:

TECHNOLOGY COULD HAVE SAVED PEOPLE IN BOSTON. And it's from Oklahoma. In fact it was developed at OSU, where researchers say an RV packed with computers(the picture below) could have saved the day. For $100,000, "OverSite" as it's called, could have been deployed at the Boston Marathon finish line, and it would have identified the bombs and the bomber as they arrived. It's been demonstrated at the OSU & TU stadiums and is still being tested and developed and marketed, but so far no one has bought the whole package. Think "Oversite" will get a closer look now? Think it would have made a difference in Boston?

Further Googling produced this:

https://news.okstate.edu/press-releases/849-osu-uml-showcases-mobile-security-vehicle-during-simulated-terror-attack-at-boone-pickens-stadium-

Was the Facebook post hyperbole? What does this Mobile Security do?

jkjsooner
4/17/2013, 12:51 PM

While I mostly agree with this, I think airport (or better put airplane) security is a different matter. Airplanes are just too easy to bring down and they're the favorite target of terrorists - and that's not to mention the potential of using one as a guided missile. I think you get a lot of bang for your buck by having tight airport security.

KantoSooner
4/17/2013, 01:03 PM
If the goal was only to stop the lone crazy, then the security is likely a waste at sports venues. If you're also trying to stop mass hooligan behavior a la what went on in Europe in the 1980's, then it's very effective.

OU68
4/17/2013, 01:07 PM
While I mostly agree with this, I think airport (or better put airplane) security is a different matter. Airplanes are just too easy to bring down and they're the favorite target of terrorists - and that's not to mention the potential of using one as a guided missile. I think you get a lot of bang for your buck by having tight airport security.

Agree with you to a point. I don't think taking my shoes off, or wanding an 80 year old grandma are making us any safer. Don't let anyone bring a weapon on board or check a bomb in a suitcase, and I'm good.

C&CDean
4/17/2013, 02:28 PM

I flew for a living for almost 30 years. I feel no more safe now than I did back in the day. In fact, I feel LESS safe when flying commercial. Why? Cause the barely literate 23-year old TSA worker named LaShawnda is playing grabass with the other TSA guy named Maleek - who is shaking down a couple Jews in yarmulkes - or an old grandma with a metal knee, while 3 swarthy-looking, no-deodorant, camel-crotch stinking middle easterners with attitudes waltz right through.

Newsflash: Shoulder-fired SAMs will bring the next plane down (frankly, I'm shocked it hasn't happened yet), not some wannabe Osama/Obama with a shoe full of match heads.

4/17/2013, 03:01 PM
I flew for a living for almost 30 years. I feel no more safe now than I did back in the day. In fact, I feel LESS safe when flying commercial. Why? Cause the barely literate 23-year old TSA worker named LaShawnda is playing grabass with the other TSA guy named Maleek - who is shaking down a couple Jews in yarmulkes - or an old grandma with a metal knee, while 3 swarthy-looking, no-deodorant, camel-crotch stinking middle easterners with attitudes waltz right through.

Newsflash: Shoulder-fired SAMs will bring the next plane down (frankly, I'm shocked it hasn't happened yet), not some wannabe Osama/Obama with a shoe full of match heads.That is SO flocking gawdamm racially/ethnically in-effing-sensitive it should make us all wanna puke!

KantoSooner
4/17/2013, 03:13 PM
To whom was it insensitive? I couldn't tell whether he meant the pouty kind of middle easterner (in which case, Pakistani) or sullen (Saudi) or stupid and belligerent (the balance).
Without a bit more focus you just can't define the specific group.

4/17/2013, 03:51 PM
To whom was it insensitive? I couldn't tell whether he meant the pouty kind of middle easterner (in which case, Pakistani) or sullen (Saudi) or stupid and belligerent (the balance).
Without a bit more focus you just can't define the specific group.It ain't necessary

C&CDean
4/17/2013, 04:09 PM
What ain't?

4/17/2013, 04:13 PM
What ain't?That focus he petitions

olevetonahill
4/17/2013, 04:13 PM
"IT"
pay tention

KantoSooner
4/17/2013, 04:41 PM
If you're going to insult someone, do it right, bigod!

StoopTroup
4/18/2013, 02:09 AM
How many commercial flights has El Al lost to poor security?

How many have we lost since 9-11-2001?

Even if SAMs become a problem....TSA Employees won't be the blame if we lose another flight to terrorists or Home Grown McVeigh Types.

One thing that El Al does that not very many other Airlines do is spend dough on baggage containers that are designed to absorb damage from any luggage or checked baggage/package that might have a bomb in it. Yes they scan the stuff that goes in the cargo hold but they also make sure every bag or package is in a bomb proof container that is designed to absorb most bomb blasts that could cause significant damage to the plane that would cause a horrific in-air incident.

The US would do well to require all US carriers to invest in these type of cargo containers and be required by the FAA to use them on all flights.

badger
4/18/2013, 10:55 AM
A reason to love hockey again:
ZzMsagY7oRs

StoopTroup
4/18/2013, 12:00 PM
Pretty cool Badg^

colleyvillesooner
4/19/2013, 01:46 AM
In case anyone is still up, looks like suspects involved in firefight few town over. One in custody, reports may be dead at hospital. Other in the loose, armed with weapon and possibly explosives.

Boston police scanners going nuts.

On every channel.

colleyvillesooner
4/19/2013, 01:48 AM
http://www.nytimes.com/2013/04/20/us/explosives-detonated-in-massachusetts-standoff.html?smid=tw-share&_r=0

soonerhubs
4/19/2013, 06:53 AM
One coward dead, one at large.

ouflak
4/19/2013, 07:46 AM
I've got to admit. I didn't see a Chechnyan connection coming. I figured this squarely as Saudi Arabian/Middle Eastern types or American mad-at-the-government types. Out of nowhere this one is.

Soonerjeepman
4/19/2013, 07:46 AM
they think they have him cornered

StoopTroup
4/19/2013, 07:52 AM
Popos everywhere.

StoopTroup
4/19/2013, 07:53 AM
2wildNcrazyGuys

Midtowner
4/19/2013, 07:55 AM
http://ritakeller.com/blog/wp-content/uploads/2011/12/Wild-and-Crazy-guys.jpg

StoopTroup
4/19/2013, 08:02 AM
Zactly

StoopTroup
4/19/2013, 08:06 AM
Dzhokhar Tsarnaev is the name of Mr White Hat. They say he's 19 years old.

cleller
4/19/2013, 08:14 AM
Right about now that little 19 year old Chechnyan clucker is beginning to wonder is if following a crazy pedophile was such a bright idea. Just hope he gets more of what his bro got.

KantoSooner
4/19/2013, 08:49 AM
You'd think they could do a thermal scan, determine if he has hostages and, if not, move in a 20 mm gun and be done with the house.

badger
4/19/2013, 09:45 AM
Right about now that little 19 year old Chechnyan clucker is beginning to wonder is if following a crazy pedophile was such a bright idea. Just hope he gets more of what his bro got.

I strongly suspect it was pressure from his older brother, based on his dad calling him an "angel" and saying that he was studying to be a doctor. Really sad, but who here with siblings would disagree that older brothers and sisters haven't been our role models and heroes and inspirations since an early age?

olevetonahill
4/19/2013, 09:50 AM
I strongly suspect it was pressure from his older brother, based on his dad calling him an "angel" and saying that he was studying to be a doctor. Really sad, but who here with siblings would disagree that older brothers and sisters haven't been our role models and heroes and inspirations since an early age?

I can honestly say that I never wanted to grow up to be like my sisters.

colleyvillesooner
4/19/2013, 10:44 AM
This dude is either dead in a house they haven't checked or the slipperiest 19 year old ever

sooneron
4/19/2013, 12:16 PM
I can honestly say that I never wanted to grow up to be like my sisters.
Your sun dress collection says otherwise...

:D

badger
4/19/2013, 12:29 PM
This dude is either dead in a house they haven't checked or the slipperiest 19 year old ever

I know, right? I'm starting to be a bit concerned that he hasn't been found yet. Reports suggest that they're checking houses very carefully. Was he even with his brother at the shootout, or has he already bailed?

jkjsooner
4/19/2013, 12:45 PM

I can honestly say that I haven't looked up to my oldest brother since I was in my early teens. Once I realized that he was a hyper-critical know-it-all and that trying to win his approval was pointless I gave up. I've seen it many times. The oldest siblings are often just plain controlling a-holes. Maybe that's why they end up as the politicians and CEO's...

badger
4/19/2013, 12:48 PM
The oldest siblings are often just plain controlling a-holes.

Younger sibling revenge: They're often the ones that become the star athletes of the family :)

sooneron
4/19/2013, 02:56 PM
Sometimes I think the tinfoil hat people should look at the "news networks" as to who is staging these "false flags" as they call them. The circle jerk the past two days has been legendary and there's been more misinformation/false leads than truth.

jkjsooner
4/19/2013, 03:32 PM
Sometimes I think the tinfoil hat people should look at the "news networks" as to who is staging these "false flags" as they call them. The circle jerk the past two days has been legendary and there's been more misinformation/false leads than truth.

Are those like Alex Jones going to come out and apologize? I mean, clearly we have the right guys considering the one admitted it and the other had explosives strapped to himself.

My guess is no. As with all conspiracy theorists they just expand their conspiracy as large as they need to. Either the one didn't have explosives and the guy who claims they admitted it is a government plant, or these two guys are government agents.

I'm not going to take away his freedom of speech but I sure wish someone would shut that guy up.

Now all that being said, the part about the drill that occurred right before the bombing, I could buy a small conspiracy there. They could have gotten a warning, took it seriously enough to investigate but not serious enough to cause a panic (since bomb threats occur quite often). Once the bombings happened then you have a lot of CYA. I'm by no means asserting that that happened but these are the types of things that are at least believable. People will try to cover their a$$ when something goes wrong. But usually these type of things come out in the long run. Again, I am not asserting that this is true. I'm just trying to demonstrate the huge difference between a believable conspiracy and a ridiculously unbelievable one.

8timechamps
4/20/2013, 09:34 PM
Are those like Alex Jones going to come out and apologize? I mean, clearly we have the right guys considering the one admitted it and the other had explosives strapped to himself.

My guess is no. As with all conspiracy theorists they just expand their conspiracy as large as they need to. Either the one didn't have explosives and the guy who claims they admitted it is a government plant, or these two guys are government agents.

I'm not going to take away his freedom of speech but I sure wish someone would shut that guy up.

Now all that being said, the part about the drill that occurred right before the bombing, I could buy a small conspiracy there. They could have gotten a warning, took it seriously enough to investigate but not serious enough to cause a panic (since bomb threats occur quite often). Once the bombings happened then you have a lot of CYA. I'm by no means asserting that that happened but these are the types of things that are at least believable. People will try to cover their a$$ when something goes wrong. But usually these type of things come out in the long run. Again, I am not asserting that this is true. I'm just trying to demonstrate the huge difference between a believable conspiracy and a ridiculously unbelievable one.

I don't know, there's probably someone running some sort of drill every day. So, I can't even buy that.

I recently (accidentally, through conversation) found out that my sister-in-law is a conspiracy nut. I say nut, because she is bat-**** crazy. The time these people spend trying to "uncover the truth" is amazing. I have way too much to do to be trying to uncover the fake moon landing.

hawaii 5-0
4/21/2013, 12:36 AM
Kudos to the multiple law enforcement groups that coordinated and brought at least one of the perps into custody.

As an aside, the Daylight Donuts shop in Waterford set a two day sales record.

5-0