PDA

View Full Version : Stoops wants Oklahoma back on Natonal Title path

Mazeppa
4/12/2013, 07:35 PM
You've probably already heard most of this but it's a way to kill a few minutes.

http://www.cbssports.com/collegefootball/story/22058332

Fraggle145
4/12/2013, 09:37 PM
Then Switzer tripped him up at a Christmas party at Toby Keith's house years back.

"I was shocked in 2003 when it didn't happen," Stoops said. "Barry said, 'you young [expletive], you think you can win every one of them.' At the time I had."

This is good stuff.

colleyvillesooner
4/12/2013, 10:09 PM
Is this a repeat of the "its time to get back to the NCG" talk of a few years ago?

cleller
4/13/2013, 08:25 AM
Gonna need lots more than talk to get back there. Personnel for one thing.

Soonerjeepman
4/13/2013, 10:36 AM
thought he (Stoops) said that last yr too?

The guy is obviously a very good coach, and I'm sure egotistical, like super athletes, I would assume most guys that reach that point think pretty highly of their abilities...ya almost have to. It will be interesting.

I'm sure Switzer thought the same thing in his hay-day hind-sight is always 20/20.

Jacie
4/13/2013, 01:35 PM
Back-to-back 3-loss seasons . . . sa*et fans would like to have one.

ouwasp
4/13/2013, 05:47 PM
The Defense will have to improve by about 280% before any serious title talk can be entertained. imho, of course.

picasso
4/13/2013, 05:55 PM
Is this a repeat of the "its time to get back to the NCG" talk of a few years ago?

How many? Because we were back there a few years ago.

colleyvillesooner
4/13/2013, 07:26 PM

How many? Because we were back there a few years ago.

It was pre 2011. And it was "win another one" not get there.

picasso
4/13/2013, 07:35 PM
It was pre 2011. And it was "win another one" not get there.

Ok, sounds good to me.

MyT Oklahoma
4/14/2013, 08:34 AM
Talk is cheap. Just do it.

JLEW1818
4/14/2013, 12:55 PM
Long way away.

King Crimson
4/14/2013, 01:20 PM
some delicate wording in that article with regard to shipp and venables. mangino could be named as well.

anyway, we haven't run the ball with authority against a legit front 7 in a long time. that's an issue. i still think we were better than Florida (and with a healthy Demarco) and should have at least had a two point conversion to beat LSU. pitch the ball to kejuan one more time chuck. and i'm generally a cynic about most things.

we are frail as a team psychologically imo. i don't get that.

King Crimson
4/14/2013, 01:23 PM
i've read some other versions of that Switzer quote elsewhere.

like: "you didn't think you'd win them all (national championship games)....did you?"....in years past.

badger
4/15/2013, 08:17 AM
Back-to-back 3-loss seasons . . . sa*et fans would like to have one.

RIP Steve Davis said before he died that OU should not base its success by comparing itself to Texas each and every year, especially these days (http://www.tulsaworld.com/article.aspx/John_E_Hoover_Steve_Davis_was_a_gentleman_and_frie nd/20130319_29_b1_manykn4478).

Woot woot, we beat Texas. So do a lot of other teams in recent years. That golden hat is getting to be about as valuable to us as the little brown jug is to Meatchicken

BigTip
4/15/2013, 12:15 PM
"Now Mike and Bob are retooling of the defense together, keeping the traditional 4-3 scheme with some 3-4 formations available when necessary. Turns out these two former defensive backs learned they overstuffed their backfield last season."

Damned if you do, damned if you don't thing. They had to change something up from 2011 though. We got burned by long balls way too many times that year.

badger
4/15/2013, 12:22 PM
Maybe this era of football just isn't conductive to having good defenses anymore. If your offensive mindset is "hurry up and score," the defense probably not only feels like an afterthought, but might also be thinking "get off the field faster, even if it means giving up a score faster" to get the offense back on and later in the game, to finally catch your breath again.

sooneron
4/15/2013, 12:35 PM
There are some national title teams that STRONGLY disagree with you on that one, Badger.

I agree with Colley, this article feels very 2010 or '11 or '07 or something...

badger
4/15/2013, 12:36 PM
There are some national title teams that STRONGLY disagree with you on that one, Badger.

I agree with Colley, this article feels very 2010 or '11 or '07 or something...

No doubt there have been good defenses on championship teams, but that's one per year. In general, defenses seem to be just giving up on big plays and scoreboards seem to be lighting up more than ever.

C&CDean
4/15/2013, 01:07 PM
some delicate wording in that article with regard to shipp and venables. mangino could be named as well.

anyway, we haven't run the ball with authority against a legit front 7 in a long time. that's an issue. i still think we were better than Florida (and with a healthy Demarco) and should have at least had a two point conversion to beat LSU. pitch the ball to kejuan one more time chuck. and i'm generally a cynic about most things.

we are frail as a team psychologicallyimo. i don't get that.

This. We've also failed miserably at recruiting 5-star people. We've got a bunch of good players who suck at being good people.

8timechamps
4/15/2013, 01:52 PM
There has clearly been a change in recruiting this year. Over the past 2 or 3 years (maybe longer) OU has been very slow to evaluate and offer kids, that seems to have been fast-tracked this year. The number of 2014 recruits is higher, and the number of 2015 recruits (or recruits two years out) is much higher. The concentration of recruits in Texas is also higher than it has been recently.

Will that relate to better classes? We'll know in a couple of years, but it's already trending that direction.

For 2013, I'm not expecting much. We could all be surprised, and have a special year, but a lot of development will have to happen between now and the fall id that's going to be the case. 2014 could be a really good year, but a lot will depend on how the QB (whoever that is) develops.