PDA

View Full Version : Nebbish spring game

deweydw
4/8/2013, 11:58 AM
I thought this was pretty cool. Got a little choked up myself. A 7-year-old cancer survivor runs for a touchdown (http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/ncaaf-dr-saturday/7-old-cancer-survivor-runs-touchdown-during-nebraska-233901185--ncaaf.html) during Nebraska’s spring game.

badger
4/8/2013, 11:59 AM
Come back to the Big 12, Nebraska. We miss you :(

deweydw
4/8/2013, 12:03 PM
From what I read on the comments on Youtube. They kept his run in the box score. So he was the leading rusher for the game.

Soonerjeepman
4/8/2013, 12:03 PM
I USE to...but when OU was down in the 90's and the god osborne ran up the score on OU by keeping his starters in into the 4th quarter I was over them.

Have ya been to a game up there? I know there are a$$hats all over but they aren't anything special.

badger
4/8/2013, 12:06 PM
Have ya been to a game up there? I know there are a$$hats all over but they aren't anything special.

Several times, never a bad experience, either as a Boomer band member or as just a fan.

The only downside was our first Landry year, where a Texas fan (they're cockroaches, I tell ya) chanted whatever our record was at the time of losing to them in our direction. 4 and 3 I think? I dunno, but it was unimpressive, kind of like UT football every season after that one :P

rock on sooner
4/8/2013, 01:30 PM
I USE to...but when OU was down in the 90's and the god osborne ran up the score on OU by keeping his starters in into the 4th quarter I was over them.

Not only did he leave his starters in, he was passing deep on first down!

badger
4/8/2013, 01:43 PM
Hate or loathe Nebraska, they voted with their wallets and their feet during the Pederson/Callyburger regime that they'd probably assume forget. They were getting badly beaten for Homecoming against Mangino's Jayhawks, so they didn't even stay to honor their championship team (and beloved Dr. Oz himself), but left at halftime. The concession sales were too low to ignore and they fired their AD immediately after (and Callahan at the end of the season).

I know that it's easier for fans to be hospitable when times are good like they were for Nebby in the mid-90s, but even after enduring Cally years they were still nice when we visited for the final Big 12 OU-Neb meeting in Lincoln (they won, but still).

I know that we need to play Texas annually for recruiting, but I'd much rather play Nebraska annually (and let's face it, both are probably as just as challenging of an opponent at this point, so it's not like we're at a competitive disadvantage scheduling one over the other).

SoonerMarkVA
4/8/2013, 01:45 PM
That was extremely cool and classy. Good for the Husker team and coaches.

Soonerjeepman
4/8/2013, 05:21 PM
Not only did he leave his starters in, he was passing deep on first down!

yup...

mushburger was such an a$$hat...

I think one of the refs was an undertaker...or had a name like that...mushburger was all over how he could help OU bury their wounded...UGH!! Yes that BURNED into my memory. Neb fans are NOT the "classiest" of the college fball world like they think and promote.

Now this was a cool thing but don't overdo their goodiness. ;-)

picasso
4/8/2013, 10:49 PM
Great story.

PrideMom
4/9/2013, 09:19 AM
Nebraska is one of the cheatingest programs around. Any university (that far north) that touts walk-ons from Florida smacks of impropriety. Someone really needs to look into the county support system they had for scholarships. The first black players were not even allowed to stay in the campus dorms. They rented a house outside the city limits for them, and drove in and out after practice and games.

VA Sooner
4/9/2013, 05:22 PM
Great video of the kid though... good going, Huskers. Hoping this is a memory for the boy for a long, healthy lifetime.

picasso
4/9/2013, 05:49 PM
Yeah Nebbish was roided up back in the day but I don't get what any of that has to do with this story.

SouthFortySooner
4/10/2013, 09:38 AM
Like the reported said in his article. It got a dusty in here.

tomtom
4/10/2013, 10:31 AM
The kid could have scored real touchdowns against the ou defense used against west virginia.

picasso
4/10/2013, 03:26 PM
Hey-o!

huskerland
4/11/2013, 10:28 AM
A closer look sees both teams have had their good times as far as scoring thru the years! The Husker gave up 70 points a couple of times in the last few years.. It's our fault.. It's our job to play defense Note Scores through the years!
I hope the link workd

http://espn.go.com/classic/s/ou_neb_record.html

badger
4/11/2013, 10:58 AM
A closer look sees both teams have had their good times as far as scoring thru the years! The Husker gave up 70 points a couple of times in the last few years.. It's our fault.. It's our job to play defense Note Scores through the years!
I hope the link workd

:mad: It's hard to be angry at nice Nebrasky fans :mad:

:D it's much easier when you see angry doofus scream-a-lot coach bo :D

C&CDean
4/11/2013, 12:19 PM
Pretty much all my hate is spent on the burnt orange bevoids down south. I ain't got a lot of it left for Nebraska - cause what little Ido have left is sent Notre Dame's way.

Mazeppa
4/11/2013, 08:21 PM
THis is the coolest thing I've seen in a long time.

RUSH LIMBAUGH is my clone!
4/12/2013, 12:51 AM
I know that we need to play Texas annually for recruiting, but I'd much rather play Nebraska annually (and let's face it, both are probably as just as challenging of an opponent at this point, so it's not like we're at a competitive disadvantage scheduling one over the other). ef em, da bof em

4/12/2013, 12:53 AM
Nebraska is one of the cheatingest programs around. Any university (that far north) that touts walk-ons from Florida smacks of impropriety. Someone really needs to look into the county support system they had for scholarships. The first black players were not even allowed to stay in the campus dorms. They rented a house outside the city limits for them, and drove in and out after practice and games.dayum...you GO, girl!

4/12/2013, 12:55 AM
Yeah Nebbish was roided up back in the day but I don't get what any of that has to do with this story.It's a good feelgood story. Good for them!...but not so good it helps their recruiting.

Soonerjeepman
4/12/2013, 01:40 PM
I hope the link workd

no issues with the scores...I'll take Tubb's philosophy...it's up to them to stop us. My issue is how neb is portrayed as a clean, wholesome, ah shucks type of program when in reality they were just as "dirty" as any other, including OU. Osborne was just as competitive and cut throat as the next coach.

BUT, it was great for that kid.

Stoops and the players all go to the hospital for the kids many times in a season but don't seek the publicity for it, nor should they.

4/12/2013, 02:43 PM
no issues with the scores...I'll take Tubb's philosophy...it's up to them to stop us. My issue is how neb is portrayed as a clean, wholesome, ah shucks type of program when in reality they were just as "dirty" as any other, including OU. Osborne was just as competitive and cut throat as the next coach.

BUT, it was great for that kid.

Stoops and the players all go to the hospital for the kids many times in a season but don't seek the publicity for it, nor should they.We clobbered nebbish with our whole squad, including lots of substitutions by Stoops, if I remember correctly, as opposed to the wholesome Doctor Tom, who poured it on with starters throughout most, if not all of the game. Please correct me if I recall that improperly.

huskerland
4/13/2013, 12:20 PM
I hope the link workd

I'd like to add this important link to provide a better insight to Jacks battle!

http://www.huskermax.com/games/2013/vid/00/23hoffman_sportscenter.html#.UWmO8aYo6po