PDA

View Full Version : Spring practice needs to evolve?

deweydw
4/8/2013, 08:56 AM
According to this reporter it does. Not happy with the way Stoops is running things. Everyone else is bringing in a DJ for a Friday night lights type of spring game. Heck how about some fire works after the game.

Link (http://oklahoma.rivals.com/content.asp?CID=1492935&PT=4&PR=2)

OU's model of getting early commitments during summer camps is becoming old fashioned. Now they are best used for getting to know the top sophomores.

thecrimsoncrusader
4/8/2013, 09:36 AM
Coach Stoops finally fired assistants that needed to be fired. Let's take some baby steps here first. :)

badger
4/8/2013, 09:37 AM
As much as I'm sure many would love the old Stoops to return, where practices were open and you could giggle as coaches yelled obscenities at players, there's a difference between programs that are more open and Stoops at OU: Those programs needs their fans to give more effort.

Texas A&M had attendance issues under Shermanator. Iowa has been spiraling downward on the field ever since we stole the Rose Bowl berth from them (look it up -- they were the Big Ten champs and were Rose Bowl bound till we got the invite instead. Their consolation prize was getting beaten by USC in the Orange Bowl if I recall correctly). Texas Tech just hired a really young coach and Tubby shunned them for a ****ing Big East program. There's a lot going wrong in Lubbock, but Tubby leaving for Cincy was just extra (rotten) gravy.

OU does nothing but sellout games even as ticket prices are astronomical compared with what they were pre-Stoops.

Nothing is going to change so long as fan interest doesn't. Don't like the way Stoops does things in the spring? Don't like that we shared the Big 12 title instead of winning it outright? Don't like that nobody has us picked as national title contenders that still wants to be considered an "expert" afterward?

I dare you, I double dare you, I physically challenge you to give up your season tickets.

jkm, the stolen pifwafwi
4/8/2013, 10:34 AM
I'm sorry, but it has yet to be proven that the top sophomores project into the top college players. As a matter of a fact, right now the evidence is totally contrary to that within our conference -> Texas offers early, KState offers way late.

badger
4/8/2013, 10:36 AM
I'm sorry, but it has yet to be proven that the top sophomores project into the top college players. As a matter of a fact, right now the evidence is totally contrary to that within our conference -> Texas offers early, KState offers way late.

I forgot to read down that far, and I agree -- it's like Texas is afraid that they're going to be shunned on slow plays so they try to get their recruiting class settled early.

Does KSU offer late? Or are they still living up to their juco this juco that stereotype?

Soonerjeepman
4/8/2013, 12:08 PM
yup....just like the Chiefs...when we were selling out the stadium and going to the playoffs everyone was happy...even Hunt (dad) said at one time, he had his SB, he didn't need another.

Oklahoma doesn't need gimmicks...or new uniforms. Like someone said, Stoops FINALLY fired an assistant...lol don't get greedy.

KantoSooner
4/8/2013, 12:54 PM
As I understand it, recruiting is fixing to change a lot over the next few years. It'll be interesting to see what Bob does to adapt. If my nephews are any guide, late teen young men are knuckleheads who are just this side of ADHD on any subject other than beer and young (slutty looking) women (on those two subjects, they can demonstrate a focus that is just this side of hypnotic.)

badger
4/8/2013, 01:46 PM
As I understand it, recruiting is fixing to change a lot over the next few years. It'll be interesting to see what Bob does to adapt. If my nephews are any guide, late teen young men are knuckleheads who are just this side of ADHD on any subject other than beer and young (slutty looking) women (on those two subjects, they can demonstrate a focus that is just this side of hypnotic.)

Yeah, but if you could ring around millionaires (which is what college football coaches all are these days, with few exceptions) for months, wouldn't it be a fun ride? "Coach, I'd like you more if you weren't balding." "Your program's shade of orange is too bright." "Maybe if you guys didn't tarp off your endzones I'd consider you." "Sure I'll commit to you... at least till signing day! Wait, did you hear that last part?"

And then we wonder how incidents like Rutgers basketball happen. :P

KantoSooner
4/8/2013, 02:23 PM
I prefer it the way it is now. I'm not a coach, but I can host bbq parties offering roasted beef, beer and a pool in which young women can become wet.
With that on tap, young men like my nephews and their friends become virtual slaves to me and will accept being cuffed upside the head and ordered around to put up yard lights, tote charcoal, haul kegs and the like.
It's a simple life, but it works.

jkm, the stolen pifwafwi
4/8/2013, 03:00 PM
I forgot to read down that far, and I agree -- it's like Texas is afraid that they're going to be shunned on slow plays so they try to get their recruiting class settled early.

Does KSU offer late? Or are they still living up to their juco this juco that stereotype?

Bill Snyder's MO (and ours until 2002) has always been to offer big time recruits at the end of their JR years and use that timeframe as a baseline. From that baseline, new kids are evaluated against that baseline as the season progresses. So if new kid X comes along in October, you ask for junior film and then evaluate where he is now vs where he was then AND against Top Prospect X then. This gives you a semi-decent projection of overall talent as well as upside. Notes: Grades are NOT factored in, but character is.

Jucos are the ultimate late eval. You know exactly what you are getting with a juco without the transition risk that you have in a high school kid. In a lot of ways, they are like NFL free agents whereas high school kids are like draft picks.

SoonerAtKU
4/8/2013, 03:25 PM

To be fair, at what point in human history has this not been the case? I still remember high school and early college. This sounds remarkably similar.

KantoSooner
4/8/2013, 03:32 PM
Oh, it's always been the case. A fair anthropological argument can be made that old men start wars whenever the population of obstreperous young men gets too annoying. And then scoop up the surplus young women.

It's good to be king.

Soonerjeepman
4/8/2013, 05:17 PM
To be fair, at what point in human history has this not been the case? I still remember high school and early college. This sounds remarkably similar.

I'm 48 and still like beer and young hot chicks~ lol

VA Sooner
4/9/2013, 05:15 PM
Oh, it's always been the case. A fair anthropological argument can be made that old men start wars whenever the population of obstreperous young men gets too annoying. And then scoop up the surplus young women.

It's good to be king.

Damn, Kanto. You crack me up.

I'm thinking this has been the history of mankind for centuries... has yet to change.

Except in North Korea?

Jacie
4/9/2013, 07:24 PM
I'm 48 and still like beer and young hot chicks~ lol

The problem is at some point, maybe not 48 for you anyway but eventually for everyone including you, that beer you drink will start to accumulate on you instead of going down the drain and those young hot chicks? You become invisible . . .

I Am Right
4/9/2013, 10:37 PM
Evolve? Just hit somebody, Evolve my a**