PDA

View Full Version : Did anyone else buy The Beach Boys Smile Sessions?

cleller
4/6/2013, 10:45 PM
To go with the Led Zep post, like Robert Plant, I'm also a Beach Boys/Brian Wilson nut.
In mentioning Smile, I guess you either know exactly what I'm talking about or its a total mystery. In 1966 Brian Wilson, musical genius and the brains of the Beach Boys, conceived a project (probably fueled by LSD) called Smile. Brian Wilson was at the top of his game, but in the midst of drugs, mental breakdowns, fights with Mike Love, etc, the project broke down and never came to pass, but became the most mythical "lost album" ever. Groundbreaking stuff, for 1966.

I first heard some of the tracks about 20 years ago, and was hooked. Over the years, I acquired lots of bootlegs somehow. With the advent of the internet, more and more people heard the tracks, and finally Brian Wilson and Capitol records began the process of bringing about a legitimate release. I bought it as soon as it came out, and while there was little I hadn't already heard thru bootlegs, it was nice to have the entire package.

They are lots of Smile groupies across the world, just wondering if anyone here is interested? Its part music, part history.

hawaii 5-0
4/7/2013, 11:44 AM
Saw the special on Showtime. Enlightening for sure.

5-0

bluedogok
4/8/2013, 09:43 PM
We saw them at Red Rocks last summer with Brian Wilson.

He was definitely going through some serious "stuff" around the time of the Smile sessions.