PDA

View Full Version : Celebration Day (Led Zep) The Swan Song of Rock n Roll?

cleller
4/4/2013, 09:48 PM
Yeah, the whippersnappers can start their "dinosaur rock" comments at any time. They know the truth is that their generation whiffed at producing anyone to rival the Zep boys.

Anyway, I've been watching Celebration Day, the Led Zep 2007 reunion at the O2 arena on Youtube. What a great show. Its a little strange to contemplate, and hard to predict what would have happened had John Bonham not died in 1980. Its doubtful that he'd have been able to perform at the level his son Jason did in 2007, so possibly the Zeppelin actually flew a little longer in that regard.

If that was the last Zep show, I think its all over for true bloodlines of rock n roll.

Good luck to the Britney/Bieber/Hippity Hop generation. What lame pretenders. Its fitting they listen to that crap on cell phones and ear buds. Nothing to hear anyway.

RUSH LIMBAUGH is my clone!
4/5/2013, 01:09 AM
British rock was just a phoneyed-up sham, anyway. Bunch of no-talent pseudo
musician-entertainers:

Beatles
the Animals
Rolling Stones
Van Morrison(Irish)
The Who
Led Zeppelin
Yes
Jethro Tull
Moody Blues
Bad Company
Elton John
Rod Stewart
David Bowie

yermom
4/5/2013, 06:00 AM
I'm not sure where RLIMC is going there, but as to the OP, stop getting your music from 12 year olds.

there is plenty of good new music out there. it's tough to filter through it all though

my go to short answer is The Black Keys

if you haven't checked them out, start from the beginning. I doubt you will be disappointed.

oMtN7VwHlps

cleller
4/5/2013, 07:41 AM
I'm not sure where RLIMC is going there, but as to the OP, stop getting your music from 12 year olds.

there is plenty of good new music out there. it's tough to filter through it all though

if you haven't checked them out, start from the beginning. I doubt you will be disappointed.

oMtN7VwHlps

Maybe there's still some passable music out there, The Black Keys being one of the few that still can turn it up, but look at those two boys. Not even a hint of Page or Plant. They do a good job of ripping off the old blues masters, just like Zep did, but sound better when they're not doing a strict Buddy Guy rip-off.

Still no one out there that could now fill a stadium like Zep could. Unless its possibly Lady Gaga. Something tells me your Zep exposure is lacking. I imagine there are far more 12 year olds listening to Black Keys and Black Eyed Peas than Zeppelin. They both have the requisite thump-thump-thump.

By the way, who the heck do you think the Black Keys are channeling, anyway?
http://www.rockcellarmagazine.com/2012/10/01/ripped-off-riffs-the-black-keys-vs-led-zeppelin-vs-blind-faith/

http://youtubedoubler.com/?video1=BcL---4xQYA&start1=47&video2=490s689kvpo&start2=0&authorName=stairway%2Bto%2Bblackkeys

yermom
4/5/2013, 08:09 AM
well, that is their early stuff, the later stuff is still good, but not as gritty

and Buddy Guy predates Zeppelin :D

you might also check out Junior Kimbrough if you are into that sort of stuff. i hadn't heard any of his stuff before these guys did an EP of covers, Chulahoma. Everywhere I Go on one of their earlier albums is also a cover of one of his songs.

SoonerBBall
4/5/2013, 02:10 PM
Of course music will be less interesting when arguably the greatest rock band of all time stops playing. That doesn't mean that all rock these days is bad, just that we don't get to listen to new Zeppelin anymore.

C&CDean
4/5/2013, 02:23 PM
I was listening to the radio the other day and accidently hit I think 94.7? in OKC. It seemed to be a pretty decent mix of classic rock and newer classic rock? It seemed better than pretty much anything I've listened to in OKC for a long time.

I doubt there'll ever be another Zeppelin/Floyd/Stones/Elvis/etc. They were the pioneers. The cool thing though is that their music/influence is forever/timeless. I can remember having arguments with my kids when they were listening to all the rap horse**** and telling them "son/s, rock and roll is forever. Rap is no-talent horse**** and won't stand the test of time." I believe I was right. Now that they're hitting their 30's, they've progressed to classic rock/rock themselves.

Another thing. If it wasn't for pansy-assed, pasty-skinned, sagging little wigger white boys there wouldn't be rap cause nobody else buys that ****.

cleller
4/5/2013, 03:26 PM
well, that is their early stuff, the later stuff is still good, but not as gritty

and Buddy Guy predates Zeppelin :D

you might also check out Junior Kimbrough if you are into that sort of stuff. i hadn't heard any of his stuff before these guys did an EP of covers, Chulahoma. Everywhere I Go on one of their earlier albums is also a cover of one of his songs.

If you haven't, you ought to listen to Buddy Guy's Sweet Tea record from 2001. It was recorded at the Sweet Tea studio in Oxford MS.
I noticed that the Black Keys first record was also about 2001, and sounds similar. Also interesting is that it looks like the Black Keys were on the Fat Possum label for awhile, which is based in nearby Water Valley, MS, and has strong ties with the Sweet Tea studio. Some good stuff on Fat Possum. They did alot to bring back some of those Mississippi blues artists, including Junior Kimbrough.

sooneron
4/5/2013, 04:27 PM
http://2.bp.blogspot.com/_t8Ccqc0E3zs/TMYtDmwLq_I/AAAAAAAAAEc/mu4coOZKxPY/s1600/old-man-with-cane1.jpg

Flagstaffsooner
4/5/2013, 04:42 PM
Zep music has been around longer than you think.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dQm6wcafQwE

GDC
4/5/2013, 08:17 PM
British rock was just a phoneyed-up sham, anyway. Bunch of no-talent pseudo
musician-entertainers:

Beatles
the Animals
Rolling Stones
Van Morrison(Irish)
The Who
Led Zeppelin
Yes
Jethro Tull
Moody Blues
Bad Company
Elton John
Rod Stewart
David Bowie

I agree on some of those you listed, and I'm glad you didn't include The Kinks, The Spencer Davis Group, Yardbirds and maybe a few others.

RUSH LIMBAUGH is my clone!
4/6/2013, 01:09 AM
I agree on some of those you listed, and I'm glad you didn't include The Kinks, The Spencer Davis Group, Yardbirds and maybe a few others.The guys you listed were pretty good, but I agree didn't rise to the heights of the ones I listed. I would go to a Kinks concert, if I thought they would perform anywhere near what they did on their studio releases. Spencer Davis only had maybe 4 hits that I can recall, but they were sung by Steve Winwood, and we know what musical talent he has.

All the music I listed was done between mid 60's to mid 70;s, the Golden Days of rock, IMHO. You could add American acts such as the Jefferson Airplane, the Doors, Janis Joplin, Jimmi Hendrix, and the early Heart albums, esp. Dreamboat Annie and Little Queen. Speaking of Queen, I accidentally omitted them from my first list.

cleller
4/6/2013, 07:06 PM

oMtN7VwHlps

By the way, didst thou intendeth to compare these knaves with the Mighty Zeppelin? After listening to many a Black Keys melody, I can proclaim these cadets doth not stinketh, and doth possess a modicum of agreeable harmonic endowment.

Nevertheless, they wouldst whither and wilt under the barrage of a Page/Jones/Bonham cannonade.

BigTip
4/6/2013, 07:54 PM
I have said this repeatedly; Two hundred years from now Led Zeppelin will still be listened to just as Beethoven is now.
Talking about 12 year old's taste in music; The amazing thing is that those 12 year olds listen to "their" music f course but they also listen to Led Zeppelin. Even as I type, my 17 year old son's friend is in the other room playing a couple of different Zeppelin songs on his guitar.
Classic, classic, classic.
And yes, they stole from those before them, but they wrote plenty of original stuff too. Jimmy Page is a musical genius. Even the "boring" member of the group, John Paul Jones, has done an amazing amount of innovative and creative stuff in his career.
Yes, I am a fan.