PDA

View Full Version : Auburn back on the hot seat?

Spanish Sooner
4/3/2013, 10:03 PM
http://espn.go.com/college-football/story/_/id/9131624/auburn-tigers-coaches-bribed-players-altered-grades-broke-recruiting-rules-gene-chizik-according-report

Auburn's football program changed players' grades to secure eligibility, offered money to potential NFL draft picks to return for their senior seasons and violated NCAA recruiting rules under former coach Gene Chizik, according to a report by former New York Times and Sports Illustrated writer Selena Roberts.

The report appears on Roberts' website, Roopstigo.com. According to three former Auburn players, as many as nine players' grades were changed before Auburn's win in the 2011 BCS national championship game.

"We thought we would be without (running back) Mike Dyer because he said he was one of them, but Auburn found a way to make those dudes eligible," former Auburn defensive lineman Mike Blanc told Roberts.

SEC blog

SEC ESPN.com's Chris Low and Edward Aschoff write about all things SEC football in the conference blog.

More:
• Blog network: College Football Nation

According to the report, Auburn coaches offered money to players for any number of reasons, including as a means to convince players to bypass the NFL draft.

Darvin Adams, a former Auburn wide receiver, told Roberts that coaches offered him cash to keep him at the school.

Blanc and Mike McNeil, another former Auburn player, told Roberts the money amounts reached "several thousand dollars."

"Coaches would say, 'Don't tell anyone where you got it from,' " Blanc told Roberts.

McNeil told Roberts he had a meeting with then-defensive coordinator Will Muschamp, now Florida's coach, in 2007.

"I had no clue what it was about because I'd never directly asked him for anything," McNell told Roberts. "He slid about $400 over to me. He went into a drawer and gave me money and said, 'Is this enough? Is this good?' And I said, 'Yeah, I'm good.' "

Former Auburn defensive back Nieko Thorpe also told Roberts the coaching staff far exceeded its NCAA-allotted per diem for entertaining recruits. Thorpe said coaches gave players $500 to entertain current Cincinnati Bengals cornerback Dre Kirkpatrick, even though the NCAA reportedly limits expenses to less than $50 per day.

All of these allegations happened under Chizik, who guided Auburn to its first national title since 1957 after the 2010 season.

Chizik was fired after a 3-9 season last year.

Sabanball
4/3/2013, 10:53 PM
As someone that has zero confidence in the ncaa, especially after the Miami fiasco, I'll be shocked if anything comes of this.

DarrellZero
4/3/2013, 11:47 PM
Couldn't happen to a nicer bunch.

Remember how much they whined in 2004 about being undefeated and not in the championship game? Turns out they were cheating then too, big time. Oops.

And U$C was cheating.

Only team not cheating? Us.

Can't believe how much crap we took that season after the championship game. Admittedly, we didn't play well, but still.

jkjsooner
4/4/2013, 08:13 AM
Auburn has been the dirtiest program in the country going back to the early '90s.

badger
4/4/2013, 09:39 AM
Kristi Malzahn: And Gus was like SHUT UP!
rHIQSFM0kAs

Ruf/Nek7
4/4/2013, 10:43 AM
The whole damned conference is doing it. We all know nothing is going to happen. It's an SEC team and ESPiN won't allow it to happen. It's all about money people.

budbarrybob
4/4/2013, 11:38 AM
Impropriety? Money changing hands? Grade scandle? an SEC school? No... Inconeivable!

/sarcasm off

badger
4/4/2013, 11:40 AM
The whole damned conference is doing it. We all know nothing is going to happen. It's an SEC team and ESPiN won't allow it to happen. It's all about money people.

Meh, druglords have come and gone, the richest families throughout history go shirtsleeves to shirtsleeves in three generations, lottery winners and pro athletes squander their millions like the gravy train will never end, so money alone won't prevent the inevitable.

The SEC will fall. The fact that they've opened their doors to newcomers isn't a way to make them stronger, but rather, might be a security breach. Missouri would rat out those programs in a millisecond if it meant they could finally see what it's like to be legitimate in anything meaningful. Texas A&M loves to look down on others from its high horse even as it ignores its shortcomings.

Patience, SEC haters. Their time will come.

prrriiide
4/4/2013, 12:00 PM
Impropriety? Money changing hands? Grade scandle? an SEC school? No... Inconeivable!

/sarcasm off

http://2.bp.blogspot.com/-4hhG5klgfUs/TnyRkY-TcBI/AAAAAAAAAWM/0JCoJKyZ4UM/s1600/inconceivable-1.jpg

Lott's Bandana
4/4/2013, 08:28 PM

Not surprisingly, the SEC's partner, ESPN has been spinning it all day like this, "Is this really a big deal anymore and should we really care?".

To me, that is transparent and irresponsible and outlandish that they would actually try and numb everyone with that take. Of course, I'm old and lived through some incredibly lame probations that truly hurt programs, so I want to burn Auburn to the ground for what they more than likely did do...but I guess I'm out of touch now, after all, I truly don't know what a Kardashian is for or a something boo-boo?
We are being threatened with nuclear war and the news is showing the President missing layups.

I should just go somewhere and become dust now.

Ruf/Nek7
4/5/2013, 07:45 AM
Not surprisingly, the SEC's partner, ESPN has been spinning it all day like this, "Is this really a big deal anymore and should we really care?".

To me, that is transparent and irresponsible and outlandish that they would actually try and numb everyone with that take. Of course, I'm old and lived through some incredibly lame probations that truly hurt programs, so I want to burn Auburn to the ground for what they more than likely did do...but I guess I'm out of touch now, after all, I truly don't know what a Kardashian is for or a something boo-boo?
We are being threatened with nuclear war and the news is showing the President missing layups.

I should just go somewhere and become dust now.

This is exactly what i am talking about. ESPiN has way too much money invested in the SEC and if you disagree then you have never noticed what covers all of the stations during football season. Hell, National Signing Day coverage was 8 hours long. 6 hours of SEC recruiting and two hours of USC, Mich. ND, Texass, and Ohio State.

badger
4/5/2013, 08:42 AM
This is exactly what i am talking about. ESPiN has way too much money invested in the SEC and if you disagree then you have never noticed what covers all of the stations during football season. Hell, National Signing Day coverage was 8 hours long. 6 hours of SEC recruiting and two hours of USC, Mich. ND, Texass, and Ohio State.

I disagree. Who has the biggest investment in the SEC and its football schools?

CBS.

If ESPN needs to rush to the defense of anyone, it's Bevo. $300 ****ing million dollars over 20 years for an absolute sh!t-tier product in football and basketball. It would not surprise me if this past season's primary audience were opposing fans like me, who tuned in after the clock ticked down to zero to see the players forced to stand in front of their band post-loss to sing "Eyes of Texas" unenthusiastically and Case McCoy sit dumbly with a washcloth hanging out of his mouth as the media ask questions (no joke).

I am not sure that the money matters to ESPN if they can dish $300 million to Bevo for absolute bullsh!t in the two major sports.

Ruf/Nek7
4/5/2013, 11:45 AM

CBS.

If ESPN needs to rush to the defense of anyone, it's Bevo. $300 ****ing million dollars over 20 years for an absolute sh!t-tier product in football and basketball. It would not surprise me if this past season's primary audience were opposing fans like me, who tuned in after the clock ticked down to zero to see the players forced to stand in front of their band post-loss to sing "Eyes of Texas" unenthusiastically and Case McCoy sit dumbly with a washcloth hanging out of his mouth as the media ask questions (no joke).

I am not sure that the money matters to ESPN if they can dish $300 million to Bevo for absolute bullsh!t in the two major sports.

That is true, since CBS has the deal with the SEC but ESPiN (IMO) has more vested in the conference since they are solely a sports network. CBS will be fine without sec football. In fact, they will lose all rights to sec once their contract ends.

Lott's Bandana
4/5/2013, 12:00 PM

CBS.

SEC Football on CBS - 15 years @ 55mil per.....$825M

SEC Sports Package on ESPN (including football, look at the big SEC logo on their bumper screen) - 15 years....$2B (that's BILLION)

badger
4/5/2013, 12:03 PM
SEC Football on CBS - 15 years @ 55mil per.....$825M

SEC Sports Package on ESPN (including football, look at the big SEC logo on their bumper screen) - 15 years....$2B (that's BILLION)

So their tier 1 football games end up on CBS yet ESPN is the one paying them more. Doesn't pass the smell test. Perhaps CBS' contract is older, similar to how NFL QB contract this year are worth more than ones signed 2, 3 years ago.

Lott's Bandana
4/5/2013, 12:09 PM
CBS signed a $55M per extension in 2008 for Football.

ESPN's 15y package of almost ALL sports was inked in 2008 as well. That's why you see SEC Baseball and Basketball on their network continuously. They've even shown some wimmens nastics recently.

Ruf/Nek7
4/5/2013, 12:41 PM
CBS signed a $55M per extension in 2008 for Football.

ESPN's 15y package of almost ALL sports was inked in 2008 as well. That's why you see SEC Baseball and Basketball on their network continuously. They've even shown some wimmens nastics recently.

Holy crap! I knew it was a lot but not that much. Makes perfect damn sense now. How much was Big12's new deal with ESPiN?

Lott's Bandana
4/5/2013, 01:47 PM
Holy crap! I knew it was a lot but not that much. Makes perfect damn sense now. How much was Big12's new deal with ESPiN?

$2.6B combined deal with ESPN/FOX for 13 years, signed last September.

badger
4/5/2013, 04:34 PM
CBS/ESPN/Fox aside, I just wanted to let you all know that Auburn fails in many regards. (http://espn.go.com/college-football/story/_/id/9135194/twelve-auburn-tigers-football-players-failed-synthetic-pot-tests)

Sabanball
4/5/2013, 06:37 PM
Meh, druglords have come and gone, the richest families throughout history go shirtsleeves to shirtsleeves in three generations, lottery winners and pro athletes squander their millions like the gravy train will never end, so money alone won't prevent the inevitable.

The SEC will fall. The fact that they've opened their doors to newcomers isn't a way to make them stronger, but rather, might be a security breach. Missouri would rat out those programs in a millisecond if it meant they could finally see what it's like to be legitimate in anything meaningful. Texas A&M loves to look down on others from its high horse even as it ignores its shortcomings.

Patience, SEC haters. Their time will come.

LOL

BudSooner
4/5/2013, 09:21 PM
Considering how much Mark Emmert was harassed by the media about how it has handled the Miami/Auburn cases, I would not be surprised to see him turn up the heat on programs who run so called outlaw programs.
Just long enough to cover his *** long enough to cash his checks.

Whet
4/6/2013, 08:16 PM
SoonerSports.com's Digital Director left OU to to join Auburn's staff, as Assistant Athletic Director of Digital Media.

Sabanball
4/7/2013, 09:10 PM
Like I said earlier, I expect the Barn to successfully elude any NCAA sanctions. Covering up and obfuscating is something that they are VERY good at. And given what is left in the wake of the totally botched Miami investigation, the NCAA does not have many teeth left, at least in governing football, but...... SACS does.

If the academic fraud is as bad as it appears--and right now it looks VERY bad-- then they may be facing losing their accreditation (again).

badger
4/8/2013, 08:27 AM
If the academic fraud is as bad as it appears--and right now it looks VERY bad-- then they may be facing losing their accreditation (again).

but they can keep their football, right? :P

Whet
4/8/2013, 07:50 PM
http://www.auburntigers.com/thefacts

https://sphotos-a.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ash3/c0.0.382.382/p403x403/555739_10151536564399894_1883353785_n.png

badger
4/9/2013, 10:12 AM
Dear Auburn Family,

Pander pander pander to my audience, with the icing on the cake at the end:

God Bless and War Eagle,
Signed with only my first name to sound more personal.

---
Reminds me of when USC's AD was all like "Errrbody wanna be Trojans, errrrbody so jealous!"

Ruf/Nek7
4/9/2013, 12:15 PM
You want the truth?
http://kalyaniroldan.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/01/You-Cant-Handle-the-TRUTH.jpg

Scott D
4/9/2013, 06:23 PM
http://www.auburntigers.com/thefacts

https://sphotos-a.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ash3/c0.0.382.382/p403x403/555739_10151536564399894_1883353785_n.png

heh, I notice the facts straightening doesn't mention the allegations of academic fraud or player payment.

Ruf/Nek7
4/10/2013, 02:17 PM
heh, I notice the facts straightening doesn't mention the allegations of academic fraud or player payment.

They're still trying to figure out what exactly "academic fraud" is.

badger
4/22/2013, 02:52 PM
Auburn is now refuting blah blah blah (http://espn.go.com/college-football/story/_/id/9199334/auburn-tigers-jay-jacobs-refutes-roopstigo-report-internal-review) (via ESPN.com)

However, I didn't see much of any refute to another recent ESPN report (http://espn.go.com/espn/e60/story/_/id/9133824/a-darker-side-downfall-auburn-tigers-espn-magazine), heh.

On an unrelated note, those poisoned trees are finally coming down tomorrow, (http://www.cbssports.com/collegefootball/story/22112660/auburn-fans-roll-famed-trees-at-toomers-corner-one-last-time) not that fans will have many opportunities to TP them this fall.

prrriiide
4/23/2013, 05:26 AM
but they can keep their football, right? :P

Nope.

3.02.3 Membership Categories.
3.02.3.1 Active Member. An active member is a four-year college or university or a two-year upper-levelcollegiate institution that is accredited by the appropriate regional accrediting agency and duly elected to activemembership under the provisions of this article (see Constitution 3.2.3). Active members have the right to com-pete in NCAA championships, to vote on legislation and other issues before the Association, and to enjoy otherprivileges of membership designated in the constitution and bylaws of the Association.

No accreditiation = no NCAA membership.

rock on sooner
4/23/2013, 08:03 AM
They're still trying to figure out what exactly "academic fraud" is.

Never mind "fraud", what's "academic"?

badger
4/23/2013, 08:17 AM
Gene Cheese-It has (link via ESPN.com) also denied the allegations (http://espn.go.com/college-football/story/_/id/9199334/auburn-tigers-jay-jacobs-former-coach-gene-chizik-refute-roopstigo-report-internal-review)... of paying players and fixing grades, I mean:

"The notion that we would pay a player in any shape or form to come to Auburn or stay at Auburn is absurd," Chizik said in a 35-minute interview with writers who cover the team.

He also denied recent reports that there was a synthetic marijuana problem:

"Let's use a little common sense here," he said. "It's a performance-debilitating drug. So if half of our football team is on it during our 2010 national championship run, how were we performing at a level that was the best football team in the country?"

Real Cheese Matters!

cleller
4/23/2013, 08:17 AM
Two old sayings come to mind. One about lying down with dogs, the other about smoke.