PDA

View Full Version : IMO We're the #4 all-time college football program

RUSH LIMBAUGH is my clone!
4/2/2013, 04:31 PM
Going by a loose accounting for # of NC's, winning seasons, wins since the FDR years, overall program aura, famous coaches who have prospered at the school, that kind of stuff...

Who would be #5, and the rest of the top 10?

BermudaSooner
4/2/2013, 04:39 PM
Who's 1-3? Bamer, Notre Dame, and who else? USC?

jkm, the stolen pifwafwi
4/2/2013, 04:47 PM
Michigan most likely

EatLeadCommie
4/2/2013, 04:51 PM
We're ahead of those pretenders from Meatchicken.

Bama, ND, USC, OU. Bama has separated themselves from the pack since Saban. Before that, it was pretty much a tossup.

olevetonahill
4/2/2013, 04:58 PM
IMO We are the Number ****in ONE all time college Football program.

sooneron
4/2/2013, 04:59 PM
Ann Arbor has a whopping 3 MNC's during modern football, I believe.

SoonerMarkVA
4/2/2013, 05:27 PM
At worst, OU is a toss-up with USC, with ND ever-so-slightly ahead. At best, we're a toss-up with ND, slightly above USC.

I think Bama has clearly separated into the top spot. They are where I expected us to be within a few years after 2000.

Lott's Bandana
4/2/2013, 05:41 PM
USC has no excuse for not being on top, and I wouldn't put them higher than OU.
Their talent over the years is on par with underperforming whorn and have really only succeeded by taking advantage of probation or succeeding prior to their own probation.
A completely unscientific and biased opinion from me, no doubt.

There were a lot of years between Bear and Nicky, I am begrudgingly acknowledging their recent successes, kicking and screaming.

tOSU fans would hate this thread.

Sabanball
4/2/2013, 05:43 PM
Just counting forward from the beginning of the modern era(post 1950), I'd consider you guys a very solid no. 2.....my line of reasoning is pretty simple--
You guys have 7 AP NC's in that time period, ND only has 4(and two of theirs were very controversial, speaking of both both '66 and '77)

Back to Back NC's twice

47 game win streak(The DiMaggio hitting streak record is likely to fall long before this one ever does)

overall win percentage

4/2/2013, 05:51 PM
Who's 1-3? Bamer, Notre Dame, and who else? USC?Yeah, I think you pretty much gotta put those coc*bites ahead of us. All 3 have considerably more NC's than us, and the domers and usuc pwn us in head to head games. I would say that Bamers has solidified the #1 spot with 3 titles in the last 4 yrs. Saban is a machine.

4/2/2013, 05:57 PM
Ann Arbor has a whopping 3 MNC's during modern football, I believe.Meatchickens are way back from domer, IMHO. Maybe #5 would be a scramble with the cows, meatchickens, bucnuts and the bugeaters. The U might be after that unholy pack of scum, with FU and tigahbaits soaking up the last of the glory positions. What's left after all I mentioned here? rockytops, Fightin' Sanduskies(the Sanduskyite Blowhards), any other "school"?

4/2/2013, 06:05 PM
IMO We are the Number ****in ONE all time college Football program.You sayin' you're not a latent cows fan?

Flagstaffsooner
4/2/2013, 06:25 PM
AGREE!!!!!!

goingoneight
4/2/2013, 06:27 PM
I don't put much stock in head-to-head record over the years unless you're playing on a regular basis. Even then, it's more for fun. Like right now, aTm must feel like they own OU after a 41-13 win, right? Heh... uh, no. Texas must feel pretty comfortable about next year's RRS given that lead of theirs in the RRS series, right? The 90's were a blackmark on us. The probation, the average-to-bad-to-horrific "coaching" and the fact that our rivals feasted on that down period took us down many notches. Championships, consistency of winning, tradition (all kinds) and following make OU's football program an elite one. Alabama took control of the championship count in recent years. That's what people pay attention to most.

I can't imagine many that are "better" over time if any.

olevetonahill
4/2/2013, 06:33 PM
You sayin' you're not a latent cows fan?

If it has a cow as mascot or Cow in its name I aint a Fan

4/2/2013, 06:52 PM
If it has a cow as mascot or Cow in its name I aint a Fana drunken/Stoopsified steer qualifies as a cow to you, don't it?

olevetonahill
4/2/2013, 06:57 PM
a drunken/Stoopsified steer qualifies as a cow to you, don't it?

?

4/2/2013, 07:37 PM
?not a trick question. Just silliness. I'll take your answer as a yes.

4/3/2013, 01:33 AM
Anybody else think we're better than the 4th best program out there, all-time? I wanna be persuaded.

olevetonahill
4/3/2013, 09:54 AM
Anybody else think we're better than the 4th best program out there, all-time? I wanna be persuaded.

If ya gots to be persuaded that OU is # ONE then Ima question yer Fanness . :bull_head:

jkm, the stolen pifwafwi
4/3/2013, 10:41 AM
We're ahead of those pretenders from Meatchicken.

Bama, ND, USC, OU. Bama has separated themselves from the pack since Saban. Before that, it was pretty much a tossup.

The problem with USC (and Texas for that matter) was that they had so much success during the unlimited scholarship period. Those schools that won big in the late 60s early 70s won by sucking up all the talent (seriously, in 72 USC had almost 200 scholarship players on campus).

Michigan is like the Atlanta Braves. They may not win the big one (which should be a facet of the criteria) but up until recently they won a LOT of regular season games.

4/3/2013, 11:52 AM
If ya gots to be persuaded that OU is # ONE then Ima question yer Fanness . :bull_head:Ohhhkay, now I see where you're coming from.

4/3/2013, 12:00 PM
:single_eye::emmersed::tears_of_joy::star::eagerne ss:

olevetonahill
4/3/2013, 12:03 PM
Ohhhkay, now I see where you're coming from.

Heh, Kinda SLOW at times aint ya? :drunk:

4/3/2013, 12:13 PM
Heh, Kinda SLOW at times aint ya? :drunk:Well, i didn't expect that kind of thing from you. I was just joking with you, anyway.

I can say that I'm the wrong person to question on Sooner Fandom. Are you sure you aren't blustering to cover up a latent whorn attachment?

olevetonahill
4/3/2013, 12:19 PM
Well, i didn't expect that kind of thing from you. I was just joking with you, anyway.

I can say that I'm the wrong person to question on Sooner Fandom. Are you sure you aren't blustering to cover up a latent whorn attachment?

About all I do is Joke with folk. :drunk:
I will admit a certain fondness foe a Good steak, does that count?

4/3/2013, 12:44 PM
About all I do is Joke with folk. :drunk:
I will admit a certain fondness foe a Good steak, does that count?The cow(and the pig, for that matter) are better friends to man than the dog, IMHO.

kevpks
4/3/2013, 12:50 PM
Where is Poke State? They have been on the rise so long that their ascension to the top spot seems inevitable.

4/3/2013, 12:56 PM
Where is Poke State? They have been on the rise so long that their ascension to the top spot seems inevitable.Of course. They are knocking at the door. The world of college football elites is preparing for their arrival.

Harry Beanbag
4/4/2013, 08:39 AM
IMO, OU is tied with ND at 2nd.

http://www.soonersports.com/sports/m-footbl/archive/tradition.html

http://www.soonersports.com/sports/m-footbl/archive/superlatives.html

http://www.soonersports.com/sports/m-footbl/archive/m-footbl-national-championships.html

http://www.soonersports.com/sports/m-footbl/archive/m-footbl-all-americans.html

http://football.stassen.com/cgi-bin/records/calc-wp.pl?start=1869&end=2012&rpct=30&min=5&se=on&by=Win+Pct

http://football.stassen.com/cgi-bin/records/calc-wp.pl?start=1946&end=2012&rpct=30&min=5&se=on&by=Win+Pct

Jacie
4/4/2013, 01:18 PM
How much love for Domer has to do with on-the-field accomplishment during the aforementioned "modern era" versus mystique that dates back to Knute Rockne?

birddog
4/4/2013, 01:41 PM
Ur opinion blows!!!!

4/4/2013, 01:51 PM
How much love for Domer has to do with on-the-field accomplishment during the aforementioned "modern era" versus mystique that dates back to Knute Rockne?RU putting me in the unthinkable position of defending the domer? I'll not do it any more than i already had to when submitting this thread.(maybe you're not talking to me. in that case, NM)