PDA

View Full Version : RIP Coach Fairbanks

sooneron
4/2/2013, 02:43 PM
A sad day...

http://newsok.com/oklahoma-football-sooner-coaching-legend-chuck-fairbanks-dies-at-age-79/article/3779049

http://cdn.bleacherreport.net/images_root/slides/photos/000/691/480/81457861_display_image.jpg?1296723707

SanJoaquinSooner
4/2/2013, 04:44 PM
Chuck Fairbanks was part of the team of coaches who came in under Jim McKenzie, after the disasterous 3-7 season under Gomer Jones. McKenzie died suddenly from a heart attack after only one year and Fairbanks took over - making Switzer the offensive coordinator.

That was the beginning of a great stretch for OU football.

cherokeebrewer
4/2/2013, 04:46 PM
Rest in peace Coach...

olevetonahill
4/2/2013, 04:54 PM
RIP Coach

swardboy
4/2/2013, 05:49 PM
Changing to the wishbone mid-season....one of the gutsiest coaches ever.

Sabanball
4/2/2013, 05:54 PM
You guys had some truly great teams in the early '70's. I've always thought that Chuck Fairbanks had a lot to do with that and I'm not sure he's ever really been given his proper due.

I Am Right
4/2/2013, 05:55 PM
Good Article, sounds like a good coach. RIP

Flagstaffsooner
4/2/2013, 06:29 PM
Bye coach. What a great era of Sooner Footbball.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N7B2meuN3ko

goingoneight
4/2/2013, 06:39 PM
Al Eschback said he had the unfortunate reputation of "the guy who put the program under probation and never won a title." I really don't jump all over coaches when it comes to the NCAA's BS. What I do know is Chuck and Co. got the ball rolling for Switzer's time in Norman. My late grandpa used to tell me how neat it was watching the program "grow back up" after the rough end to the Wilkinson era and the Gomer Jones "prank" as he called it. He started telling me that after we watched OU beat Florida State in 2001. It was one of those "you know, kid... I remember when--" stories because all night long everybody on TV kept talking about how fast Bob turned the program back around. At the time, he said he didn't think anybody could ever do it that fast ever again considering where we were in the 90s. Then a handful of coaches whipped some programs into contenders in nothing flat this past decade or so. Different times, I guess.

MyT Oklahoma
4/2/2013, 08:40 PM
Rest In Peace Coach Fairbanks and thanks for the memories.

http://www.soonersports.com/sports/m-footbl/spec-rel/040213aab.html

MyT Oklahoma
4/2/2013, 08:42 PM
Bye coach. What a great era of Sooner Footbball.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N7B2meuN3ko

Thanks for sharing.

rock on sooner
4/2/2013, 09:12 PM
I remember the 82-42 track meet...have wondered where Coach went.
Dint know he was so ill...RIP Coach...thanks for the memories!

70sooner
4/2/2013, 09:31 PM
Changing to the wishbone mid-season....one of the gutsiest coaches ever.

this. and yes, I agree with those who don't think he has ever gotten all the credit he deserved. he caught a lot of flak for leaving OU to go to New England, and undeservedly so.

RIP Coach Chuck.

StoopTroup
4/2/2013, 10:22 PM
Saw this on the news today. It's been crazy around here but I took notice of this and watched the story about him by Al Jerkins at channel 2 KJRH. He had a great run before leaving for the Patriots in 1972. Left us in good hands too with The King and the Wishbone. Great Coach, Great Memories and he was a huge part of OUr Great Winning Tradition that continues to this very day.

MichiganSooner
4/3/2013, 10:35 AM
After some down years following Bud's reign, Chuck Fairbanks came to OU and got everything going again; setting the stage for Barry. I first started watching college football about the time Chuck became coach of the Sooners. Bud did the color commentary on the game of the week and really got me interested in football.

SoonerNomad
4/3/2013, 12:26 PM
I moved to Oklahoma and turned eight years old in 1968. I have been an avid Sooner fan ever since and those early years watching/listening to Coach Fairbanks' teams are etched in my memory. Steve Owens' Heisman in 1969, the change to the Wishbone in the middle of 1970, THE Game of the Century in 1971, the names like Mildren, Pruitt, Selmon, Switzer and so many more that live in Sooner lore that came with him to Norman.

It hasn't been talked about too much yet, but Coach Fairbanks had a short but relatively successful run as the coach of the New England Patriots including a controversial playoff loss to the eventual Super Bowl champ Oakland Raiders in January of 1977. They were the better team that day but Oakland got all the calls. (which Oakland fans always forget when they allege they have been conspired against by the NFL in more celebrated games like The Immaculate Reception and the Tuck Rule game). I also remember that Patriots' roster had Sooners' Ray Hamilton and Steve Zabel.

The only time I ever was present at a game coached by Coach Fairbanks was when he brought Colorado to Norman in 1979.

RIP Coach.

stoopified
4/3/2013, 08:39 PM
huck was coach when I first started following Sooner football in 1869.
RIP

Jacie
4/4/2013, 06:10 PM
He had to have really missed the college game to take that job coaching the puffs . . .

King Crimson
4/6/2013, 12:44 AM
He had to have really missed the college game to take that job coaching the puffs . . .

Chuck is not loved in Boulder, I can tell you that. CHuck's decision to take the CU job is mostly from what i understand is he wanted a raise for making the playoffs with the Patriots, probably deserved, didn't get it, and took the CU job to tell the world how mad he was. and kind of fell on his sword at CU....they were dreadful and he didn't do much to help. he inherited a team from Bill Mallory only a couple years away from a share of the Big 8 title in 76. that said, RIP Chuck....he was the coach of the 71 NU team that if some pundits posit 71 as the best team EVER....the what does that make the 71 OU team that is one play away....and some missed clip calls on the Johnny Rogers return from beating them in the "best college football game ever played"?

huskerland
4/6/2013, 11:54 PM
Husker fan here! The sport of football just
t lost a great man in Chuck Fairbanks. Yes, I'm old enough to have watched him coach. I know many of you feel sad.. Many Husker fans do also!.