PDA

View Full Version : Blessed Rain...

C&CDean
4/2/2013, 10:58 AM
It has been raining a flood in Pauls Valley (and I'm hoping out East of Lex too). Loving it. Haven't seen it rain like this in maybe 2-3+ years. Looking forward to ponds filling back up and some green pasture. Thanks Lord.

Raining on any of you hillbillies?

pphilfran
4/2/2013, 11:05 AM
Just on and off light **** here...

It needs to get the hell out of Dodge....I have a B17 flight tomorrow....

badger
4/2/2013, 11:11 AM
There have definitely been haves and have nots in the past few days statewide. Here's a map from Oklahoma Mesonet, one of my favorite state weather sites:

http://www.mesonet.org/data/public/mesonet/maps/realtime/rainrfc.96hr.png

In the Tulsa area, to the south and southeast of Tulsa International Airport, there was more than 3 inches last weekend. But officially in Tulsa? Less than a quarter of an inch.

And so far today:
http://www.mesonet.org/data/public/mesonet/maps/realtime/today.rainrfc.png

Well, storms tend to move northeast in Oklahoma, so please send the rain Tulsa's way as soon as you're done with it :D

Soonerjeepman
4/2/2013, 11:17 AM
we've has 30+ inches of snow this winter, with some rain as well, 3" last winter...hopefully a good wet spring

achiro
4/2/2013, 11:25 AM
Suppose to keep doing this through Thurs. morning. Hopefully we'll all get our share but its not looking great for West OK so far.

badger
4/2/2013, 11:34 AM
Suppose to keep doing this through Thurs. morning. Hopefully we'll all get our share but its not looking great for West OK so far.

Sadly, they're the ones that need it the most, them at the Panhandle --- Here's an image of Oklahoma current drought situation. (http://droughtmonitor.unl.edu/archive/20130326/pics/OK_dm_130326.jpg) The dark red stuff is Aggie-bad :rcmad:

olevetonahill
4/2/2013, 11:40 AM
Here on the Hill theres been a LOT of rain. Been rainin steady all mornin.

Boomer.....
4/2/2013, 11:53 AM
Already over 0.5" just north of Norman today.

cleller
4/2/2013, 12:23 PM
I'm always in the tiny sliver of lite rain between giant bands of heavy rain. Makes you want to pull your hair out. We've had about 0.4 inch so far, while the areas north or south are up to an inch already. I'm just impatient to see the ponds filled after so much drought.

Lott's Bandana
4/2/2013, 04:42 PM
Cleveland County Mesonet rocking a solid 1.41 inches in the last 24 hours from right...

...now.

And it's still raining.

Halligeebus!

Turd_Ferguson
4/2/2013, 05:00 PM

Looks like you'll get to experience a true ILS landing...

olevetonahill
4/2/2013, 05:02 PM
Been rainin steady all dayum day here after a Lot a few days ago . Ponds are over flowing now, Supposed to keep it up thru Fri. I think

Lott's Bandana
4/2/2013, 05:34 PM

I heard one of them antiques fly over yesterday. Don't think it was the F'fort though, as those engines are pretty darn unmistakable.

StoopTroup
4/2/2013, 07:08 PM
I used to pull all of the equipment out of the E and E bays on our a/c. It has always amazed me that pilots use those systems like they do and how they put so much trust into them. Mostly what we looked for was damaged or burnt pins in the connectors and to make sure there was no visible damage, dirt, dust or rodent filth ( :D ). But, there is also some downloading of the systems for experts to look over past flight info too. When everything was put back and you couldn't get the systems to do what they were supposed to do is when things really get stressful. They always want you to wave our magic wand over it all and sign off the plane for flight ASAP. What was awesome was when we would sit down and start explaining things to our Technical Experts and test pilots about what we thought was going on and then look the guy putting pressure on us to get it figured out and fixed in the eye. Once we felt we had it worked out...we would always invite the pressure guys to go on the test flight with us. The ones that went got our respect. The ones that didn't, usually ended up Supervising the Toilet Repair Shops. :D

ILS is an amazing system. Still....talk about flying by the seat of your a$$. Especially in South America. LoL

Chuck Bao
4/3/2013, 02:02 AM
The heavy rain always seems to go either just north or south of Marshall Co. Before this latest rainfall, our stock ponds were just mud puddles. So, it's going to take a whole lot more rain to even begin to fill them back to near normal level.

I notice that Lake Texoma is still more than 5 feet below full pool. If we don't get more rain in Western Oklahoma and here, it won't be good for the recreation industries either.

colleyvillesooner
4/3/2013, 08:09 AM
Yeah I was at the lake this weekend (sandy beach/ enos area) and I haven't seen it that low In awhile. People were putting in fishing boats with tractors and going WAY out to get it launched.

badger
4/3/2013, 08:28 AM
Update: Rain in the last few days:
http://www.mesonet.org/data/public/mesonet/maps/realtime/rainrfc.48hr.png

Rain since midnight today:

Keep it coming. If you had a baseball game or something else that rain ruins, I'm sorry, but your state needs the rain more than you need baseball. Sacrifice a little outdoor stuff for the good of our parched Oklahoma. :(

Lott's Bandana
4/3/2013, 09:16 AM
**** baseball. I want to go fishing! My new boat has been sitting much too long.

badger
4/3/2013, 09:43 AM
**** baseball. I want to go fishing! My new boat has been sitting much too long.

Don't tell me you've never gone fishing in the rain. Pansy.

olevetonahill
4/3/2013, 09:49 AM

Heh

SanJoaquinSooner
4/3/2013, 09:58 AM
I can't speak for the hillbillies, but this is the dryest winter in the recorded history of Northern California. We did get some rain last weekend however.

badger
4/3/2013, 10:13 AM
I can't speak for the hillbillies, but this is the dryest winter in the recorded history of Northern California. We did get some rain last weekend however.

You guys have tons of farmers up there too, don't you (and I don't just mean self-employed small business weed growers either)

Lott's Bandana
4/3/2013, 10:20 AM

I would gladly fish in the rain.

Unfortunately I don't live in Green Country like some folks. In fact, North and East Cleveland County is now Brown Country. Our lake ramps are closed, Sistah.

They've been closed since last July and the lake is so empty Norman is purchasing water from Southeast OK. The water from Lake Thunderbird is no longer tenable.
We have been on water restrictions since Jan 1, after spending the summer on them as well.

SanJoaquinSooner
4/3/2013, 12:22 PM
You guys have tons of farmers up there too, don't you (and I don't just mean self-employed small business weed growers either)

Most important is getting an adequate snow pack in the mountains that will melt in the summer, providing water for the future. Most farms rely on irrigation, rather than exclusively direct rainfall.

badger
4/3/2013, 09:13 PM
It is still raining here in tulsa, that or my overhead trees had a LOT of drops to drip on my roof

Anyone impacted by any of the reported flooding issues?

yermom
4/3/2013, 09:19 PM
the person that designed this house wasn't the brightest... my garage has like 1/4" of water over like half of it from the rain right now

lot of standing water in the back yard

olevetonahill
4/3/2013, 11:30 PM
It is still raining here in tulsa, that or my overhead trees had a LOT of drops to drip on my roof

Anyone impacted by any of the reported flooding issues?

All thelow water bridges here are impassable Ponds overflowing,Lake is up and the Creeks and rivers are flowing fast, But Im good I live on a Hill :unconscious:

In sad news tho just the other day a little 2 year old drowned in a drainage ditch in front of his home. Mom was doing laundry er sompun and then couldnt find the little fellow.
Call the PoPo and they found him about 500 feet from his house. Evidently went out the front door and fell in, The fast moving water took him under the road and they found his body tangled up in brush or something.
Sad deal

badger
4/4/2013, 09:35 AM
OK, I promise this is the last one I'll post of these for now:

Other than some mid-heavy stuff on the radar in southeast Oklahoma, our rainfall is probably done for now. Well, it was a good drought-fighting week, yall!

C&CDean
4/4/2013, 10:06 AM
It rained steady last night from Tulsa to Lexington. I mean steady. I haven't seen this kind of rain in a long, long time. It's gooooooooooood.

Flagstaffsooner
4/4/2013, 01:06 PM
Here on the Hill theres been a LOT of rain. Been rainin steady all mornin.

You were just having a dream and wet the bed.:shame:

normanx
4/4/2013, 01:09 PM
My dad farms just over 3,000 acres in Woods county(Alva). This rain was good, but basically too little too late for the wheat crop that was planted late.

Lott's Bandana
4/4/2013, 04:21 PM
I have friends on FB that were bitchin about the rain.

I told them to STFU.

Curious as to how many millions have been lost in OK income alone to this gfs drought?

normanx
4/4/2013, 04:51 PM
That's a great question. It's a good thing last years harvest was somehow above average because this year is gonna hurt. I will never gripe about rain again.

Fraggle145
4/4/2013, 05:23 PM
I'm putting in my tomatoes Saturday... Hopefully, the rain will keep up this spring!

olevetonahill
4/4/2013, 05:33 PM
I'm putting in my tomatoes Saturday... Hopefully, the rain will keep up this spring!

Yup, Ive been growin my Okra an Cucumbers inside now for a month. Gonna plant them O/S also this week end.
Gonna Buy a Garden Mister for the Maters an cucumbers.

Fraggle145
4/4/2013, 09:35 PM
Yup, Ive been growin my Okra an Cucumbers inside now for a month. Gonna plant them O/S also this week end.
Gonna Buy a Garden Mister for the Maters an cucumbers.

I'm going to the farmers market to get plants... I never have any good luck from seed. I leave that to the pros. After that I can usually get em to come around for the easy part.

olevetonahill
4/4/2013, 10:05 PM
I'm going to the farmers market to get plants... I never have any good luck from seed. I leave that to the pros. After that I can usually get em to come around for the easy part.

Oh trust me Im buyin the mater plants myself. I just sprouted the Okra an cucumbers to get a head start on em

badger
4/5/2013, 09:53 AM
I have friends on FB that were bitchin about the rain.

I told them to STFU.

Curious as to how many millions have been lost in OK income alone to this gfs drought?

The economic impacts related to the weather lately have been huge. Lack of rainfall doesn't just impact crop growth (like someone mentioned earlier, winter wheat hopes dried up with lack of early year rain), but also the ability to feed cattle (heard a lot of herd selling due to feed prices through the roof) and keeping fire danger in check.

I would understand complaining about rain if you lived in Seattle where it rained every day (unless OU is up there to play Washington, lol), but in the middle of a severe to exceptional drought? Agree--- STFU complainers!

Lott's Bandana
4/5/2013, 11:54 AM
The economic impacts related to the weather lately have been huge. Lack of rainfall doesn't just impact crop growth (like someone mentioned earlier, winter wheat hopes dried up with lack of early year rain), but also the ability to feed cattle (heard a lot of herd selling due to feed prices through the roof) and keeping fire danger in check.

I would understand complaining about rain if you lived in Seattle where it rained every day (unless OU is up there to play Washington, lol), but in the middle of a severe to exceptional drought? Agree--- STFU complainers!

How about Algae Bloom? Boat and watercraft sales? Camping et al? Wildfires last summer?

These are just some of the obvious additions to your list.

badger
4/5/2013, 12:04 PM
How about Algae Bloom? Boat and watercraft sales? Camping et al? Wildfires last summer?

These are just some of the obvious additions to your list.
Not all inclusive list. this is a message board after all, not a research project :)

Lott's Bandana
4/5/2013, 12:10 PM
Not all inclusive list. this is a message board after all, not a research project :)

Didn't imply you nailed 'em all Baj, just brainstorming. The impact is enormous. I'm ready for more rain...right now.

C&CDean
4/5/2013, 12:35 PM
If everything goes right, there should be mushrooms this weekend. Lots and lots of them.

yermom
4/5/2013, 12:37 PM
and badgers?

EIyixC9NsLI

badger
4/5/2013, 01:25 PM
Didn't imply you nailed 'em all Baj, just brainstorming. The impact is enormous. I'm ready for more rain...right now.

implying implications :P

If everything goes right, there should be mushrooms this weekend. Lots and lots of them.
my dad likes to search for morels. they're really pricey at whole foods, too.

and badgers?
thanks a lot, now we're all (or at least me) is going to have that song stuck in our head the rest of the day