PDA

View Full Version : Worried about my Golden Retriever

StoopTroup
3/29/2013, 12:26 PM
His name is Buddy. He was the runt of the litter 6 1/2 years ago. He started having little nose bleeds about a month ago. Took him to the vet and they gave him an antibiotic for a virus they thought he had. Also some pain meds. I had to give him two pain meds last night as his rear legs seemed to be giving him trouble. Today he's is nearly unable to walk. The Wife took him to the dog park as that always makes him upbeat. He just stood there and he won't hike his leg when he pees. He acted like he was glad to see the other dogs but had very little interaction with them. That's just not how he is. We got Home and he was panting all the way.

We are taking him to the Vet as soon as the kids get out of school.

Buddy is only 6. He's around 95 lbs though. He's not fat. He's just a really big Golden. He's the best dog we have ever had. I'm afraid it's hip dysplasia.

Would appreciate some good thoughts for our very beloved Family Member. It's hard to see this happen when he's so young.

TIA

rock on sooner
3/29/2013, 12:29 PM
I'm no vet but I knew a guy that bred retrievers. He used to talk about
the symptoms and that sounds awfully familiar. Sending positive thoughts
for your family and Buddy!

pphilfran
3/29/2013, 12:30 PM
:(

StoopTroup
3/29/2013, 12:38 PM
Yeah....Labradors and Goldens are one of the highest number of breeds that are susceptible to it.

KantoSooner
3/29/2013, 02:44 PM
The nosebleeds throw me. The rest, unfortunately, sound exactly like dysplasia.

StoopTroup
3/29/2013, 04:19 PM
They are taking xrays of his nose, lungs and hips, and doing blood tests. He also has some swollen lymph nodes.

olevetonahill
3/29/2013, 04:39 PM
IN Bro.
Knothead is going on 12 and since he survived those heart worms Ive noticed he has more energy and his coat is more Lustrous

Hope they find an fix whats wrong

StoopTroup
3/29/2013, 04:43 PM
IN Bro.
Knothead is going on 12 and since he survived those heart worms Ive noticed he has more energy and his coat is more Lustrous

Hope they find an fix whats wrong

Thanks Howard. Glad to hear knot head is doing better.

olevetonahill
3/29/2013, 04:53 PM
Thanks Howard. Glad to hear knot head is doing better.

Keep us posted Bro I love dogs. I had to smile the other day when I had my grandsons here. all of em were out playing and havin a great time . Knothead almost acted like a Pup again

cleller
3/29/2013, 04:57 PM
If he's been to the vet, surely they've already checked for tick-borne stuff, but that's always a concern, especially when it comes on suddenly. Hits the joints first, then starts shutting down other organs. Loss of appetite, dehydration are common. Antibiotics (usually doxycycline) would get that under control normally.

I've got a 12 year old German Shepherd with hip dysplasia, we give hem Rimadyl for that. Its been a very gradual thing, though, and his energy level and personality haven't changed dramatically.

Well, if they're doing blood work they ought to find out something. Not really into the big tick season yet, but after having two dogs deal with it, I'm always on the lookout.

StoopTroup
3/29/2013, 05:35 PM
He has a mass surrounding his airway, which is causing the heavy breathing, and possibly the nose bleeds. Blood test will be back tonight. His legs do have them baffled as his X-rays look pretty good. All his disks look good but one in front of his hips. Dr doesn't think it would cause his hips to fail.

They still aren't done figuring out WTH is going on.

olevetonahill
3/29/2013, 05:46 PM
He has a mass surrounding his airway, which is causing the heavy breathing, and possibly the nose bleeds. Blood test will be back tonight. His legs do have them baffled as his X-rays look pretty good. All his disks look good but one in front of his hips. Dr doesn't think it would cause his hips to fail.

They still aren't done figuring out WTH is going on.

Are they keeping him?
You've met Knothead, I just let him out and he took off like a bat out of hell chasin the squirrels out the yard. Then pranced around for a Bit. was out by the deer feeder and decided to come eat supper when I called. He was running smooth Tail up .
Not sure how much longer I have him. But Ima enjoy every day of it.

Like I asked, keep us posted on how hes doing.

StoopTroup
3/29/2013, 06:18 PM
We need to find out if the airway thing is cancer, a benign growth or a fungal growth. If its fungal there is a Vet here that is doing a study on that and it's possible our dog will be treated accordingly.

The blood work comes in later tonight.

StoopTroup
3/29/2013, 08:46 PM
I gave him 200mg of tramadol per the Vet and he's on top of the House baying at the moon. :wink:

olevetonahill
3/29/2013, 09:06 PM
I gave him 200mg of tramadol per the Vet and he's on top of the House baying at the moon. :wink:

Heh, Give ME that and I'll be up there with him:encouragement:

StoopTroup
3/30/2013, 12:52 PM
Blood work is in and they say everything is fine. So....we are to call the Vet who is doing the fungal study on Monday.

Buddy is OK today but still finding it more difficult to breathe. Also his left rear leg seems to be weak. Two weeks ago....he could stand and walk on his back two legs and even jump up to get a treat from our hand. So weird.

okiewaker
3/30/2013, 01:12 PM
His nose still bleeding or has that stopped?

StoopTroup
3/31/2013, 12:04 PM
It stopped. He hasn't had a nose bleed since 3-13-2013.

olevetonahill
3/31/2013, 12:10 PM
It stopped. He hasn't had a nose bleed since 3-13-2013.

Good. Keep us posted

StoopTroup
3/31/2013, 12:29 PM
I trimmed up the hair between the pads of his feet as with the weekness in his legs he was sliding kind of doing the splits on the hardwood floor. Now he's getting around a little better. He was long over do for a trim.

diverdog
3/31/2013, 02:48 PM
I owned one Golden and loved him to death. Unfortunately he was given to me and it appears he was from a crappy breeder. He got a common disease in his liver that is known in the Golden world and he died in a few weeks at the age of 8.

One of the big problems with sporting breed dogs is that show dog owners are destroying the breeds. They have done it to Golden Retrievers, English Springers and Irish Setters. The tried it with Labs and got a lot of push back from hunters. I wish they would leave sporting and working dogs alone. I think they are the root cause of some of the issues we see in these dogs today.

bluedogok
3/31/2013, 06:10 PM
Best wishes to find out what it is and treatment/recovery.

StoopTroup
3/31/2013, 10:10 PM
I got him from a friend at work who bred their dogs so they could keep their dogs family going. They sold the pups to their friends for cost. They weren't bad breeders. They were Golden Lovers. I still send them pics of Buddy and my other friend sends them updates on Toby (Buddy's Brother). Sadie (Buddy and Toby's Mother) is very old now and I'm surprised I haven't heard that she has passed due to old age. So....I'm just trying to paint the picture that Buddy and Toby are from people who love the breed and love their Dogs.

olevetonahill
3/31/2013, 11:31 PM
We do get attached to em dont we?
I have to take Knothead back one more time for the Vet to check and see did we get em all.
He's developed a nasty cough like hes choking at times but after a minute er 2 hes back fine.
The cough worries me tho.

KantoSooner
4/1/2013, 07:28 AM
Diverdog, I couldn't agree more. many breeders are scum. It's one reason I have focused on 'targetted mutts'. Growing up we had an Irish Setter/Yellow Lab mix. The Lab part kept the Setter part from outright insanity and the Setter part kept the Lab part from becoming a piece of furniture at age 5 or so.
She lasted for 18 years and thought she was Grace Kelly; I swear the dog would look at herself in the mirror. Loved for my sister to put ribbons on her ears and dress her up in doll clothes. Never once flinched from the sound of a shotgun and had a very soft mouth on birds. Wouldn't leave the side of any family member who was sick. Just pretty much the perfect family dog.
I discovered later that what we (and the people who had her parents) had done was in essence to back breed into a Flat Coated Retriever. If you ever run across one of those pups, don't hesitate, take the little beggar home.

olevetonahill
4/1/2013, 07:37 AM
Heh Get all MY dogs from the best Breeder around. The Town Dump. why people want to throw away a perfectly good dog dont make any sense to me.

StoopTroup
4/1/2013, 12:04 PM
My last dog was a Britney Spaniel. He lived to 13. I didn't think you could ever have a better dog than him. I was wrong. Also. Please note that neither my Britney or our Golden came with papers. They both came from dog owners that loved their dogs enough to keep their dogs from passing on without leaving offspring. They hate breeders and don't much care for PETA either. They are all normal people who know what it's like to have a good dog. If mixing a Golden with a Lab gets you a wonderful companion, that's great. If you can find a great dog down at the City Dump, that's cool too. I've had mutts and pure breeds. IMO , I think that the way you end up with a good dog is by taking care of it and spending time with them.

olevetonahill
4/1/2013, 12:16 PM
My last dog was a Britney Spaniel. He lived to 13. I didn't think you could ever have a better dog than him. I was wrong. Also. Please note that neither my Britney or our Golden came with papers. They both came from dog owners that loved their dogs enough to keep their dogs from passing on without leaving offspring. They hate breeders and don't much care for PETA either. They are all normal people who know what it's like to have a good dog. If mixing a Golden with a Lab gets you a wonderful companion, that's great. If you can find a great dog down at the City Dump, that's cool too. I've had mutts and pure breeds. IMO , I think that the way you end up with a good dog is by taking care of it and spending time with them.

Pretty much agree bro.

Just seems like every time I get to needin a dog, One finds ME and Yup I spend time with em and talk to em. They usually turn out to be fine animals.

StoopTroup
4/2/2013, 03:08 PM
Not good news. He's got Myathenia Gravis. There are some trials going on in San Diego for this but quality of life doesn't look good. After being with Buddy all last night I just don't think he's going to get better. We are bringing him Home to be with us for a night to say our goodbyes. This is tough. My Wife just called and was in tears.

rock on sooner
4/2/2013, 03:38 PM
Not good news. He's got Myathenia Gravis. There are some trials going on in San Diego for this but quality of life doesn't look good. After being with Buddy all last night I just don't think he's going to get better. We are bringing him Home to be with us for a night to say our goodbyes. This is tough. My Wife just called and was in tears.

Aw man, hurts to read that! I have tears, too...my thoughts are with you and Buddy....

OU68
4/2/2013, 04:09 PM
Damn! I bawled like a baby when I had to put down an 18 yr old Westie - thoughts are with you.

pphilfran
4/2/2013, 04:16 PM
Sad

Fraggle145
4/2/2013, 04:30 PM
Sorry to hear. Parting with pets is tough.

olevetonahill
4/2/2013, 05:23 PM

Aw man, hurts to read that! I have tears, too...my thoughts are with you and Buddy....

What Rock said, Prayers with Yall.

Turd_Ferguson
4/2/2013, 06:05 PM
Thoughts and prayers with y'all ST.

StoopTroup
4/2/2013, 06:45 PM
Thanks everyone. They are going to do a couple of more things just to make sure. Should know more tomorrow. We got to spend a few moments with him awhile ago but they have to wrap a towel around his mid-section right in front of his back legs to help him around. I can tell he's hurting but I also need to let the antibiotics run their course. There is a globulin blood test they haven't done yet that might shed some light on whether or not the Myathenia Gravis Diagnosis is 100% correct.

olevetonahill
4/2/2013, 06:53 PM
Hate to see a Pet suffer. Hope they can do something. Prayers Yalls way still

StoopTroup
4/2/2013, 07:45 PM
Thanks Vet.

fadada1
4/2/2013, 08:23 PM
Hang in there. Known the feeling. We lost our Indy in October after she started going downhill. More tears than I thought I could produce. Don't think I had cried in 20+ years prior.

Enjoy your time with him. Give him love and he'll know it. Best wishes.

ouwasp
4/2/2013, 08:52 PM
Sure am sorry to hear about this. Having to put down a beloved pet is one of the hardest things I've ever done.

TheHumanAlphabet
4/3/2013, 09:56 AM
Sorry to hear this ST. I got my first dog 2 years ago. I regret not having a dog previously (say 50 years). Our toy poodle is the best. Prayers out to Buddy and you all.

KantoSooner
4/4/2013, 01:54 PM
So sorry to hear this. I was on the road and didn't have reply capabilty, but my heart sank when I read your news.

StoopTroup
4/9/2013, 12:52 PM
Just wanted to say thank to everyone for the kind words. Buddy passed on a couple of days ago. He shook my Wife and my hands before he passed on. This time it wasn't for a treat...it was to thank each other for the love we gave each other for the last 6 1/2 years. He had really deteriorated the last few days and Family and Friends were all able to say good-bye as well. He is now running through a field of wild flowers without pain and hopefully enjoying the sunshine.

Buddy was cremated and we will honor his passing in a Family moment in a few weeks. He touched so many hearts and was the best dog I have ever had. I miss him dearly.

Good news though. We found a Family who just had a litter of 12 pups (7 males and 5 females). They love Goldens and are good owners just like the folks who we got Buddy from. The family is making a trip up to see the pups and we are getting 2nd pick of the litter. It's time we move on and continue to love and care for another pup. We are all excited and since this wasn't planned, (we thought we would have Buddy for years to come...) we think this is just a sign that we were destined to be family to another of these wonderful Goldens. There has already been some name wrangling but I think it's time OUr Family has a Boomer and its what I would like to name him. I'll let you know how that goes and will post picks of Buddy and the new pups and our new pup ASAP. :D

StoopTroup
4/9/2013, 12:55 PM
Again...thanks everyone. You can always cOUnt on Sooner Fans when you go through tough times. God Bless you all.

Greg

olevetonahill
4/9/2013, 01:04 PM
Again...thanks everyone. You can always cOUnt on Sooner Fans when you go through tough times. God Bless you all.

Greg

A friend of Mine had his dog Cremated and the ashes put in a memorial stand with a Picture laminated on it .

Good luck with the new pup.

diverdog
4/9/2013, 06:07 PM

I have a Brittany now. Great dog.

BTW they dropped the spaniel because they are closer linked to pointers and setters.

diverdog
4/9/2013, 06:12 PM

Greg

Wow sorry to here about your dog.

When you get your pup post some pics. Make sure you get all the medical background before getting a puppy.

KantoSooner
4/10/2013, 12:36 PM
I have a Brittany now. Great dog.

BTW they dropped the spaniel because they are closer linked to pointers and setters.

I wonder if it's possible to leave the tail on 'em? I think a long tailed Brit would be a handsome looking dog. Very much like a down sized Irish Multicolored setter (just recognized as a 'breed' a couple of years ago, fabulous upland gun dogs).

StoopTroup
4/10/2013, 02:11 PM
T
Wow sorry to here about your dog.

When you get your pup post some pics. Make sure you get all the medical background before getting a puppy.

Thanks DD. Good advice. These folks have AKC paperwork on both Mama and Papa and there is a nice breedline of their dogs. They aren't folks who make money on breeding. They are just folks who can keep 3-4 dogs and protect the bloodline of their beloved pets. The price is reasonable and high enough to keep people who want to turn the pup into a money making breedline but not so expensive that we have to pay Westminister Prices for a decent pet. We have a good feeling and I think they have the dog we are looking for.

StoopTroup
4/10/2013, 02:24 PM
If I couldn't have a Golden....I'd have a Brittany again in a blink of an eye. Beavis was a great dog and was with us 13 years. Unfortunately he had a Miniature Dachshund named Otis that came with my Wife when we got married. Otis tried to be large and in charge and as Beavis realized that he was much bigger and didn't have to take Otis BS, things got rough at times and Otis got unpredictable around our kids. He snapped at our Daughter and Mama went and put him down the next day. Otis gave us many memories and I still have stories about him that make us laugh but at 15 it was just time to let him go. He had had a couple of surgeries by then and we think he turned because of a brain tumor.

C&CDean
4/10/2013, 02:34 PM
Boomer is 15, is totally deaf, has about half his teeth left, and his breath smells like putrid ***. We call him "Chunk" or "triple-wide" cause he's so damned fat. One of these days we'll probably have to put him down. It'll be a bummer for sure since we got him and his sister (who died a few years back) for our youngest boy when he was at Jim Thorpe going through rehab.

When he goes, I think I'm gonna go dogless for a while - well other than Xena the Great Pyrenees who lives in the pasture/woods. We'd like to travel, and we're tired of having our house always ****ed up by dogs scratching the door, digging holes, chewing ****, etc.

All that being said, I honestly don't get the whole cremate/save the ashes deal. Hell, I don't even get it in humans. WTH wants granny's ashes on the night stand? Why would someone pay good $$ to have their cat/dog/fish cremated, then even more $$ for a jar/urn? Just doesn't make any sense to me. If you gotta cremate me I say throw the ashes out somewhere where I like to be. Any old pasture or deer woods works.

StoopTroup
4/10/2013, 02:40 PM
I get all that too Dean. This time Buddy just got a chunk of my heart because he passed so young. I thought I'd have him till the kids were older. Mostly the cremation is because we want to honor him for being such a great dog to our kids when they were young. I know they will have great childhood memories of him.

KantoSooner
4/10/2013, 02:45 PM
When you go to pick out the pup, Field and Stream had a great guide a few years ago. You answered about 50 questions about yourself and your family, where you lived, etc, etc. Then it gave you a number. Then you had a series of little personality tests you gave the pup (hold him down and see what he does, roll him over and see what he does, watch the puppy pack and how 'your' pup interacts, etc. The reactions generated a score for the dog. You tried to match people and dog.
seemed like an excellent way to try and shorten the odds of getting a good 'fit'. I'll try to find it, but you might just go to their web site and see if you can find it. Your vet may have something like that, too.

StoopTroup
4/10/2013, 02:48 PM
That sounds pretty cool. I'll do some research.

C&CDean
4/10/2013, 03:01 PM
Bury Buddy under a tree in the yard like back in the day. Still got his remains around, and it's a hell of a lot cheaper. That pet cremation stuff is a lucrative business.

StoopTroup
4/10/2013, 03:03 PM
I don't think this is the article but this guy makes a few good points plus just a quick search on the web really will help get my kids ready to make a good decision based on good sense rather than just cuteness. I think sometimes the pup does tend to pick you though.

http://www.fieldandstream.com/blogs/hunting/2010/12/angst-choosing-new-puppy

StoopTroup
4/10/2013, 03:07 PM
Bury Buddy under a tree in the yard like back in the day. Still got his remains around, and it's a hell of a lot cheaper. That pet cremation stuff is a lucrative business.

It wasn't that much to cremate him. I am like you in that I would have no trouble burying him but we live in the city and as soon as I did that the fox, raccoons or some other animal will have him dug up and laying in a neighbors yard. Not doing that.

olevetonahill
4/10/2013, 03:55 PM
Im with Dean as far as gettin another after these 2 go. ive had dogs most all my life. but im ready to travel. and cant do that with dogs.

StoopTroup
4/11/2013, 01:43 PM
Definitely good to not have a pet if you can't travel with them or leave them in good hands in your absense.