PDA

View Full Version : Will that Little Tin Pot dictator in N Korea really try to start something?

olevetonahill
3/28/2013, 09:59 PM
I mean Seriously is he that ****in delusional?

NKorea orders rocket prep after US B-2 drill

http://news.yahoo.com/nkorea-orders-rocket-prep-us-b-2-drill-000429063.html

badger
3/29/2013, 08:31 AM
Everyone who helps prepare the rocket will be fed today.

Those who cheer as the rocket is prepared will be fed tomorrow.

Those who do not do anything involving the rocket will continue to starve

LittleElmSooner
3/29/2013, 09:24 AM
I don't think it's Kim Jong Un's intention to do anything. As a Korean linguist in the Army (early 90's), I devoted tons of time studying those North Korean bastages. He's simply following the mantra of daddy and granddaddy Kim.

Now what COULD happen is that one of their soldiers or ships gets a little too hyped up and causes a huge $#!% storm. Once that happens, all bets are off.

They constantly brag about the size of their army (actually each citizen is considered a part of the standing army) and their weaponry. Only a percentage of their army will fight in a full-scale engagement, the main force will take the chance to change sides quickly. Their equipment is largely Korean and Vietnam war era and its' functionality is largely questionable.

They don't stand a chance in the long run, but could do some serious damage to South Korea and Japan in the short term.

Midtowner
3/29/2013, 09:25 AM
I suspect there may be some internal power struggles and as long as Kim can keep the military machine rolling towards an objective, actively engaged, no one can be on stable enough ground to conduct a coup.

Lott's Bandana
3/29/2013, 09:50 AM
Kim Jong Un = little penis syndrome

TheHumanAlphabet
3/29/2013, 09:51 AM
What Mid said as well as take the minds off the populous of their increasing hunger pangs and lack of anything else in that country. Why China continues to hold these guys up is beyond me...I mean, what does China get from them? Unless a surogate to mess with the west and screw everyone around while their hands are clean, however, they seem to be just fine getting all in with electronic and "regular" espionage...

KantoSooner
3/29/2013, 11:30 AM
China gets that. It also gets what amounts to a a big old ditch between themselves and our military. Worth more a generation ago, but they don't throw anything away lightly.
Plus they're stuck with 'em now. China, Russia and SK are all uncomfortable with the concept of regime collapse there. What would they do with millions of 'illegals' pouring over their borders all at once. Our problem took years to materialize. Theirs would happen over a weekend.

pphilfran
3/29/2013, 11:49 AM
Good take, Kanto...

jkjsooner
3/29/2013, 12:07 PM
Some of you guys better watch what you say. When he destroys us you and several generations of your descendents be the first in line for the concentration camps.

Seriously, my guess is he doesn't want to start anything but who knows he could be paranoid and crazy. If he's not careful he might accidentally start something

My guess is that if anything erupted it would be very different than the first Korean War. I don't see China getting involved this time - not with their economy so integrated with the West.

I also wonder how the NK citizens would react if we did happen to overthrow the government. Do you think there would be an insurrection? I don't think they have religious motives that make people go suicidal crazy and I don't think after this much time they have ideological ideas that communism is going to make their life better. On the other hand, they are crazy brainwashed.

badger
3/29/2013, 12:13 PM
Question --- if Lil Kim does, who succeeds him?

He has family, sure, but no littler Kim waiting for the throne at this point, to our knowledge (I think Rodman accidentally mentioned a daughter, though)

Lott's Bandana
3/29/2013, 01:08 PM
Truth be told, I've thought a lot about what would happen to South Korea if the Commies fell and the countries re-integrated. It seems much more of a conundrum than when East/West Germany reunited, simply because of the economic disaster that is NK.

If I was a South Korean leader, I would be scared to death if all of a sudden I was faced with millions and millions of starving new "citizens". How would their western-styled economy handle that sudden crisis? Obviously we would help with that responsibility, one that we sort of created, but we have our own issues as well.

Interesting concept. Being 50ish has certainly brought me through some incredible times in history.

KantoSooner
3/29/2013, 02:00 PM
the malnutrition in NK has been so long term and so severe that the average height is almost 8" (20cm) different. NK's who have escaped talk about feeling like living among aliens even in SK due to being so wizened and stunted. There is also some evidence that their IQ has been affected, as well.
Absorbing 20-25 million of them into an SK less than double that would be an extreme challenge not just economically but psycho-socially as well.
La Familia Kim has almost completely destroyed that country. For anyone who likes the idea of government involvement in an economy, take a long hard look at NK. It is what lies at the end of the Keynesian road.

jkjsooner
3/29/2013, 02:22 PM
La Familia Kim has almost completely destroyed that country. For anyone who likes the idea of government involvement in an economy, take a long hard look at NK. It is what lies at the end of the Keynesian road.

I usually like your posts but this last part sounds like RLIMC. It's so simplistic that I'm surprised you said it.

There's a big difference in total control over the economy and some stimulus during a recession, prudent regulation of critical parts of the economy, and minimal help for the unfortunate.

Jacie
3/29/2013, 02:57 PM
Kim Jong Un does not look like he has missed many meals. OTOH, can't say whether or not his IQ has been affected by . . . something.

If he watches those propaganda movies so many times that gets an idea his barbarian horde could overrun the southern peninsula then it would be proof he has guzzled too much Johnny Walker.

Following the U.S. "training" exercise of two stealth bombers based out of Missouri making an overflight of a SK island, CNN suggested that at least some of Kim's oldest military staff remember what it was like when B-52's carpet bombed the north and would probably advise KJU to not provoke that kind of reaction from the U.S.

KantoSooner
3/29/2013, 03:14 PM
I usually like your posts but this last part sounds like RLIMC. It's so simplistic that I'm surprised you said it.

There's a big difference in total control over the economy and some stimulus during a recession, prudent regulation of critical parts of the economy, and minimal help for the unfortunate.

I just don't like central planners of any stripe. Please, please don't lump me in with Rush. I'm fully in favor of regulation in some areas. I like my pharmaceuticals to not kill me, for example. I also enjoy a country free of corpses of the starved. I just don't see any bright 'stop' line once you get started trying to prove you can steer a major economy.

KantoSooner
3/29/2013, 03:17 PM
remember what it was like when B-52's carpet bombed the north and would probably advise KJU to not provoke that kind of reaction from the U.S.

B-52's were not in service, I think, until 5 or 6 years after the end of the Korean War, no? Plus, I don't think carpet bombed much during that conflict....largely because, following WWII, there wasn't much other than tactical targets left to bomb. 1. And, 2, most of the roads/bridges/rails/cities, etc that were worth hitting could be hit by artillery or naval gunfire.

badger
3/29/2013, 03:25 PM
OK guys, we can stand down --- he's only targeting Austin (http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/worldnews/asia/northkorea/9960933/North-Korea-plan-to-attack-US-mainland-revealed-in-photographs.html). :mack:

And a few liberal mainstays :P

Bye bye Hawaii 5-0. Obamafest won't be the same without you. Flip off the North Korean missile before it hits on behalf of us mainlanders!

Jacie
3/29/2013, 03:34 PM
B-52's were not in service, I think, until 5 or 6 years after the end of the Korean War, no?

I wondered about that too. Perhaps he entertained some North Vietnamese military brass and that was what CNN meant.

jkjsooner
3/29/2013, 04:35 PM
Kim Jong Un does not look like he has missed many meals. OTOH, can't say whether or not his IQ has been affected by . . . something.

If he watches those propaganda movies so many times that gets an idea his barbarian horde could overrun the southern peninsula then it would be proof he has guzzled too much Johnny Walker.

Following the U.S. "training" exercise of two stealth bombers based out of Missouri making an overflight of a SK island, CNN suggested that at least some of Kim's oldest military staff remember what it was like when B-52's carpet bombed the north and would probably advise KJU to not provoke that kind of reaction from the U.S.

The problem I have is that from talking to people stationed over there, we are severely outnumbered. In the short term he could do a lot of damage to our troops. I could be wrong though.

jkjsooner
3/29/2013, 04:37 PM
I just don't like central planners of any stripe. Please, please don't lump me in with Rush. I'm fully in favor of regulation in some areas. I like my pharmaceuticals to not kill me, for example. I also enjoy a country free of corpses of the starved. I just don't see any bright 'stop' line once you get started trying to prove you can steer a major economy.

I understand. And, no, I would never in general say you are like RLIMC. It's just those couple of sentences, without the qualifications listed above sounded a little like RLIMC.

XingTheRubicon
3/29/2013, 05:31 PM

what country are you talking about?

rock on sooner
3/30/2013, 10:11 AM
The problem I have is that from talking to people stationed over there, we are severely outnumbered. In the short term he could do a lot of damage to our troops. I could be wrong though.

There are approx 30000 stationed there, so, yeah, a million man army
would do damage short term. Keep in mind that we have a carrier battle
group within striking range stationed in the South China sea, along with
bombers from several directions only a few hours away with massive
capabilities (e.g. a 15 ton conventional bunker buster bomb). So, the
point about oldest military staff is valid, even though the north wasn't
carpet bombed. Truth is, IMO, Kim Jong Un just wants attention and
running his mouth is how he gets it. I think he figures if he is noisy then
he'll get more aid to humor him....

sappstuf
3/30/2013, 12:29 PM
https://fbcdn-sphotos-a-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-ash4/482748_428634967231551_157239139_n.jpg

Breadburner
3/30/2013, 01:29 PM
He needs to be died....!

diverdog
3/30/2013, 03:17 PM
There are approx 30000 stationed there, so, yeah, a million man army
would do damage short term. Keep in mind that we have a carrier battle
group within striking range stationed in the South China sea, along with
bombers from several directions only a few hours away with massive
capabilities (e.g. a 15 ton conventional bunker buster bomb). So, the
point about oldest military staff is valid, even though the north wasn't
carpet bombed. Truth is, IMO, Kim Jong Un just wants attention and
running his mouth is how he gets it. I think he figures if he is noisy then
he'll get more aid to humor him....

I think I read they have 30 days of fuel. After that they are walking.

ouwasp
4/1/2013, 10:44 PM
a guy at work asked me what I thought about Kim Jong Un...

Answer: Third Generation Dumbazz

Everybody knows NK rattles the sword more than Iran and Israel put together. High odds that, yet once again, NOTHING will happen.

The curveball is if some lower ranking NK (or maybe even SK) officer sees an opportunity that he just cannot pass up. Then, who knows. What is there on the entire Korean peninsula that's worth an American serviceman dying in combat over? Except maybe another US serviceman/woman.

SCOUT
4/2/2013, 12:16 AM
What is there on the entire Korean peninsula that's worth an American serviceman dying in combat over? Except maybe another US serviceman/woman.

A tended fire is less dangerous than an unattended one.

SicEmBaylor
4/2/2013, 01:00 AM
I'm sure I'm being too rational with this...

From what I understand, Un's position is somewhat more tenuous than his father's. If that's the case then don't empty threats just undermine his power? If he is going to threaten and get the military hyped up and then not follow through on anything then it would stand to reason his position would further weaken.

RUSH LIMBAUGH is my clone!
4/2/2013, 01:33 AM
I don't think it's Kim Jong Un's intention to do anything. As a Korean linguist in the Army (early 90's), I devoted tons of time studying those North Korean bastages. He's simply following the mantra of daddy and granddaddy Kim.

Now what COULD happen is that one of their soldiers or ships gets a little too hyped up and causes a huge $#!% storm. Once that happens, all bets are off.

They constantly brag about the size of their army (actually each citizen is considered a part of the standing army) and their weaponry. Only a percentage of their army will fight in a full-scale engagement, the main force will take the chance to change sides quickly. Their equipment is largely Korean and Vietnam war era and its' functionality is largely questionable.

They don't stand a chance in the long run, but could do some serious damage to South Korea and Japan in the short term.Our Dear Leader can whoop their Dear leader in a game of Sumo Basketball, played on the deck of a sinking ship. May the most tyrant win!

4/2/2013, 01:43 AM

There's a big difference in total control over the economy and some stimulus during a recession, prudent regulation of critical parts of the economy, and minimal help for the unfortunate.Rut-roh, our resident genius has painted you with an attachment stupid card, while at the same time offering up a bit of Keynesian Light. Accept the put-down, and show proper respect..

Sooner5030
4/2/2013, 02:29 AM
Small world.....I'm in Seoul right now visiting.....it seems stuff always flares up when I visit here yet nothing happened when I was stationed here.

He'd have to be bat-shiat crazy to actually fire on Seoul. There are probably +10,000 russian and/or chinese nationals living and working in that city. Not to mention the 1,000s from almost every other major country. Talking about pissing alot of people off around the world.

sappstuf
4/2/2013, 03:52 AM
I'm sure I'm being too rational with this...

From what I understand, Un's position is somewhat more tenuous than his father's. If that's the case then don't empty threats just undermine his power? If he is going to threaten and get the military hyped up and then not follow through on anything then it would stand to reason his position would further weaken.

That is the fear. He has painted himself in a corner and has to act in someway. I expect a NK patrol boat will take a couple shots at something.

Bourbon St Sooner
4/2/2013, 09:53 AM
the malnutrition in NK has been so long term and so severe that the average height is almost 8" (20cm) different. NK's who have escaped talk about feeling like living among aliens even in SK due to being so wizened and stunted. There is also some evidence that their IQ has been affected, as well.
Absorbing 20-25 million of them into an SK less than double that would be an extreme challenge not just economically but psycho-socially as well.

I generally like your posts Kanto and I'm not fan of Keynesianism, but you went a little off the reservation with this one. Comparing Keynes' economics to anything going on in NK is way off. Keynes believed you used gov't fiscal policy to stimulate the private sector. In NK there is no private sector, besides an underground one.

OU_Sooners75
4/3/2013, 07:11 PM
B-52's were not in service, I think, until 5 or 6 years after the end of the Korean War, no? Plus, I don't think carpet bombed much during that conflict....largely because, following WWII, there wasn't much other than tactical targets left to bomb. 1. And, 2, most of the roads/bridges/rails/cities, etc that were worth hitting could be hit by artillery or naval gunfire.

2 years after the truce was signed.

badger
4/3/2013, 09:07 PM
I know that austin, tejas was on the hit list, but since this is north korea we're talking about,, they'll aim for texas and hit oklahoma.

Dammit, and after the state finally got some good rain, too. Well, nice internet-knowing you all.

All of u that survive BETTER not move to california again this time around :mad:

Mac94
4/3/2013, 09:55 PM
Anyone in the OKC area hear anything on the E-6's out at Tinker? They deploying at all?

Lott's Bandana
4/4/2013, 06:44 AM
Anyone in the OKC area hear anything on the E-6's out at Tinker? They deploying at all?

I'd answer that but then I'd be aiding and abetting...

You never know which one of us is logging in from Pyongyang.

LittleElmSooner
4/4/2013, 07:39 AM
You know, I just don't get it. We're really in a no-win situation here. I mean, think about it. Here in the good 'ol USA, if you threaten to kick someone's a$$, you get arrested nowdays. Threaten to kill someone, and you get locked up. Make a threat against the POTUS, and you go to Gitmo never to see the light of day again.

Now you have a country who constantly threatens to kill millions of people and noone does anything. I know, sanctions, right? Obviously not working. I don't know what the answer is. I'm not for another war..... We don't need that right now. But, crap, can we afford to sit around and do nothing while the NKs are working around the clock to miniaturize the nuclear payloads and develop long range deployment methods? The answer seems to be "Don't worry about it. They can't hit mainland US yet". What happens when they can?

It's time for the UN (as totally f'ing worthless as it is) to step up and do something significant for once.

These bastages are really beginning to **** me off.

sappstuf
4/4/2013, 07:48 AM

http://media.iwm.org.uk/iwm/mediaLib/279/media-279211/large.jpg

Damn women...

Mac94
4/4/2013, 08:13 AM

Haha ... I'm logging in from Austin ... the furtherst thing from Pyongy.... hmmmm ... wait a minute. ;)

Just curious ... given their capabilities and role it would say something about where the U.S. is in all of this.

4/4/2013, 10:44 AM
All of u that survive BETTER not move to california again this time around :mad:I assume you're referring to the Dust Bowl. What is your source of discontent about the situation with either those that moved, or California itself or whatever?

badger
4/4/2013, 11:49 AM
I assume you're referring to the Dust Bowl. What is your source of discontent about the situation with either those that moved, or California itself or whatever?

So you love you some California, do you? And here I thought Rush Limbaugh was your clone.

From this day forward, I will refer to you by your socialist, liberal bleeding heart nickname... but I'll let you choose between several: "Hippie," "Tree Hugger" or "Marxist."

Your pick :)

4/4/2013, 12:06 PM
So you love you some California, do you? And here I thought Rush Limbaugh was your clone.

From this day forward, I will refer to you by your socialist, liberal bleeding heart nickname... but I'll let you choose between several: "Hippie," "Tree Hugger" or "Marxist."

Your pick :)That's a lovely non-answer to a sincere question. no animas, just curious.

badger
4/4/2013, 12:30 PM
That's a lovely non-answer to a sincere question. no animas, just curious.

Why ask sincere questions about posts meant to be taken in jest?

Hippie :P

4/4/2013, 12:54 PM
Why ask sincere questions about posts meant to be taken in jest?

Hippie :PYou could have said "frivolous silliness" for your 'splanation if that is the correct answer. Please forgive me for whatever grievance might have taken place.

4/4/2013, 12:57 PM
I'm looking east to Gaystin, and i'm looking west to LA, for mushroom shaped clouds sent from So Dong Fokes in NK.

badger
4/4/2013, 01:18 PM
You could have said "frivolous silliness" for your 'splanation if that is the correct answer. Please forgive me for whatever grievance might have taken place.
I understand why people did it, just like I understand why people move to the burbs, kids don't stay in rural areas and retirees find the lowest cost of living state at the highest sunshine/beach/etc location possible.

But, just like nobody is in fear that North Korea might actually have one of their "nukes" land here, I didn't mean for anyone to take my Dust Bowl/etc sh!t seriously.

North Korea would have been better off investing in flying houses from Oz. Reverse course and it lands in Kansas. Bam! In your face, American Imperialists! :P

4/4/2013, 01:41 PM
...flying houses FROM Oz. Reverse course and it lands in Kansas. Bam! In your face, American Imperialists! :PFlying houses are sent from OZ, right? Where are they flying to? If the course is REVERSED, they land in Kansas. Does that prove that Oz = Kansas?

Now we know why Kathleen Sebelius is so effin' goofy. (She wasn't born in Kenya, er Honolulu, was she?)

badger
4/4/2013, 01:54 PM
Other alternatives to nukes that North Korea can use to hit the US:

- Hurricanes, tornadoes, snowstorms and other weather events. They cost lost of money, disable our infrastructure and economy and make people frustrated, upset and sometimes injured/dead.

- Green ideas that cost lots of money but produce few jobs and results before fading into bankruptcy. Since King Jong Un is a little fat boy-man, I suggest he find a means to tap into the powerful energy source of farts. Did you know that 1,000 farts can power a lightbulb for 1 second? RENEWABLE ENERGY!!!!!

- Diseases transmitted via social media: Retweet hashtag and handle your way out of this America: Twitter is killing you and all you tweet... but you just. can't. stop.

- Starvation: North Korea has an abundant supply of this, so hitting us overweight, obese Americans with a bit of this will surely drive us crazy and mad. People will die, but it won't be for lack of food, but rather, lack of sanity. I WANT MY DOUBLE BACON TRIPLE CHEESEBURGER AND I WANT TWO NOW!

- Lack of freedom: Another thing North Korea has no shortage of, evidenced by our conservatives outrage over potential gun restrictions and our liberal outrage in San Francisco (Obama was there to raise Democrat money) over pipelines and Guantanamo, taking away the right to complain will cause Americans to go completely ballistic with no need to employ ballistic missiles.

4/4/2013, 02:32 PM
Hell, you were doing so well talking about Kansas and flying houses, Oz and the like, you got more where that came from don't ya?

badger
4/4/2013, 03:53 PM
Hell, you were doing so well talking about Kansas and flying houses, Oz and the like, you got more where that came from don't ya?

Well if we were to stay in the realm of movies (and judging on the fat spoiled bratty boy in charge I'd say he's watched a lot of movies), we could find new ways to destroy the U.S., yes:

1- Death Star. You might accidentally destroy the entire planet, but at least those pesky Americans will feel your spite.

2- Kryptonite. Superman fights for truth, justice and the American way, but has one weakness. A few green rocks can't be that rare (and it's on the periodic table too!). Chuck em in the direction of those Imperialists and watch them keel over in sweaty panic and bad acting. Death is so miserable.

3- Magic. It appears that pretty much every witch and wizard of note resides in Britain if we are to believe everything we read in books. However, a few elf slaves can be at their master's side with a snap of the fingers, so employ a few of those to dark magic the Americans. But whatever you do, don't give those damn elves any clothes... not like North Korea has much to spare.

4/4/2013, 04:55 PM
Maybe the little sh*t has learned some voodoo from some American swamp-type movies, all the while he was waiting to be His Majesty. We should be on the lookout for that.

KantoSooner
4/4/2013, 05:12 PM
Lord, don't you know the boys in Beijing are stuck to the ceiling, incandescent with rage. Now the SK's AND the Japanese are talking abouut the advisability of independent nuclear arsenals. Oh, boyo, don't you know the Chinese would be pleased as punch if the Japanese developed IRBM's? Say, with a deliver time to Beijing of, oh, 10 minutes. Max. (as an aside, we could pretty much guarantee that a Japanese made warhead WOULD hit it's target and WOULD detonate as planned).
Mr. Kim should check his hole cards velllllly kelfurry 'long about now. If they decide to do so, the Chinese could snuff boy wonder's candle pretty much anytime they wanted to.

SicEmBaylor
4/4/2013, 05:21 PM
Lord, don't you know the boys in Beijing are stuck to the ceiling, incandescent with rage. Now the SK's AND the Japanese are talking abouut the advisability of independent nuclear arsenals. Oh, boyo, don't you know the Chinese would be pleased as punch if the Japanese developed IRBM's? Say, with a deliver time to Beijing of, oh, 10 minutes. Max. (as an aside, we could pretty much guarantee that a Japanese made warhead WOULD hit it's target and WOULD detonate as planned).
Mr. Kim should check his hole cards velllllly kelfurry 'long about now. If they decide to do so, the Chinese could snuff boy wonder's candle pretty much anytime they wanted to.

Aye, I've thought of that myself. The regional strategic problems it creates are enough to enrage them but top that off with their inherent hatred of the Japanese and they're probably about ready to kill Kim Jung Un themselves.

I had a Chinese (well Taiwanese but same thing) dorm mate my freshman year at Baylor. He was a first generation American and his parents owned a ramen noodle factory in Taipei. He was a pretty good guy...a bit peculiar but a good guy.

Anyway, I told him once that I didn't care who brought up to the room so long as he didn't brings any Japs and he told me,

"Don't worry about that. We [Chinese] hate them more than you do, I promise."

Lott's Bandana
4/4/2013, 05:33 PM
Aye, I've thought of that myself. The regional strategic problems it creates are enough to enrage them but top that off with their inherent hatred of the Japanese and they're probably about ready to kill Kim Jung Un themselves.

I had a Chinese (well Taiwanese but same thing) dorm mate my freshman year at Baylor. He was a first generation American and his parents owned a ramen noodle factory in Taipei. He was a pretty good guy...a bit peculiar but a good guy.

Anyway, I told him once that I didn't care who brought up to the room so long as he didn't brings any Japs and he told me,

"Don't worry about that. We [Chinese] hate them more than you do, I promise."

I got nothin.

badger
4/5/2013, 08:38 AM

I would normally agree with this, as I think there is bitter feelings lingering between the countries from past wars, but with that nuclear disaster that happened recently in Japan due to the earthquakes, I'm not sure the Japanese want anything to do with nuclear anything for awhile if they can help it, nor would anyone else in the world, as it was a disaster on so many levels (people died, the environment was impacted, infrustructure and power grid gone, entire nation crippled).

KantoSooner
4/5/2013, 09:21 AM
Badgie,
The Japanese are understandably sensitive to nuclear anything. They've still got people dying from long term radiation sickness due to being up and about a bit early on the mornings of August 6th and 9th of 1945. Against which the Tepco moronia was a nothing.
That said, they know exactly how the Chinese and Koreans and Vietnamese and Philippinos and....feel about them. The Japanese
'Greater East Asian Co-Prosperity Sphere' was not a light handed operation. (aside: why can't evil dictators invest in cool propaganda any more? "Sea of Fire" is just not doing it for me. Where are you, Mr. Goebbels, when we need you so?) If you think you're really under existential threat, you will hold your nose and do what you think has to be done. If you're Japanese and are asked the question, "Would the USofA really go to nuclear war to save my country?" and you have even an instant's hesitation with the answer, then your next step is to start reexamining just exactly how averse you are to building some weapons of your own.
And I think that's where we're at. Hell, my ex-father in law is all in for a preemptive strike. Right now. But then he, like many 70-something Japanese, has trouble rationalizing why Koreans are necessary in the first place. These people really don't like each other very much.

badger
4/5/2013, 09:33 AM
These people really don't like each other very much.

Help me understand this in a simplified way, because I remember that the Asian voting bloc in the Olympic meetings were staunchly in Japan's favor. Was that out of loyalty to nearby countries, or just a move in self interest to have an Olympics close to home?

Is it kind of like SEC football hate, where they loathe each other, but hate the rest of the world even more, especially as the rest of the world looks on their arrogance (and successes) with contempt and perhaps jealousy?

Is there any racism involved? I think I remember reading that U.S. census forms were very specific about Asian ethnicities to not just group them as "Asians," but to the specific country (i.e. Chinese-American, Taiwanese-American)

And yes, I think that crazy propoganda would be fun again. History channel is good about reminding us how crazy some of it used to be, especially during the Cold War when Russia claimed to have first invented everything American that people liked :)

KantoSooner
4/5/2013, 10:33 AM
As for the olympic thing, that was purely an effort to get an olympics in Asia for the first time (I presume you're talking the '64 olympics? Or were you talking the Nagano winter games?). There's a feeling in Asia that they are not given their due by the European dominated world.
Asia encompasses everyone from Turks to Japanese and Indonesians. Something like 4.5 billion out of 7 billion of the world's pop. A lot of Asians feel that events like the olympics should be there about every other time. With considerable logic. And I'm thinking that the home country's demonstration event in a Bangkok summer games would be a real eye opener.
The rest of Asia kind of gets along as you'd expect: noisy and with a lot of long term simmering feuds. But the point is that they live together. The Japanese are unique in that they have a long history of walling themselves off from the rest. And they are absolutely sure that they are superior to any other people on earth by virture of the purity of their blood. Yep. Still thinking that way even today.
You can imagine how alien to them the average American's pride in mixed heritage seems. Sort of akin to proudly telling near strangers that your mom was a ho from a long line of ho's. And mixed races? Please don't mention that, their punkin' heads will explode. Skin whitening cream is a major best seller there. And not just for women. My Japanese/American daughter has been turned down for jobs on the basis that her evident mixed race appearance would 'disturb' customers.
You can imagine how much love and empathy these attitudes have won them regionally.
So, long and short of it: Everyone in Asia wants their specific ethnic/national identity recognized. They all have their favorite blood squabbles, mostly with neighbors, mostly over land or resources. But they are united in feeling slighted by 'The West' and in feeling that the Japanese are uppity and condescending and not to be trusted with power and/or a leadership role.

As to China's particular grievances, remember that Japan had launched WWII with an invasion of China following the Marco Polo incident in 1936. This was after annexing Manchuria. Japan ruled most of China for ten years. And did so brutally.

Nanking, for example, made the mistake of resisting the Japanese. So, the Japanese commander gave his soldiers 'liberty of the city' following its surrender. 300,000 or so civilians later, the party ended. Hide your kids down the well? We can solve that by tossing hand grenades down the well, or just bulldozing it full of dirt. Nice daughter you have there, how'd she like to entertain my unit of 200 guys for the next day or three? Hey, we're getting some teams together to have a sword-based beheading contest and need some beheadee's, you up for it?

In other locales, bubonic plague was tested on rural populations to see how it would work as a weapon. Live people were used to test parachutes. You did not want to be the 'control'.

If you think the Chinese have a problem with the humiliation of the Opium War, trust in the fact that their attitude towards the Brits is as nothing compared to how they feel about the Japanese.

badger
4/5/2013, 10:46 AM
I was actually referring to the 2016 campaign that notoriously slighted the United States. It was a lot of childish, pettiness, from what I recall (they were reportedly offended the President Obama spoke then left on behalf of Chicago's bid, rather than staying for the vote). In notorious Olympic committee fashion, there were a lot of politics in play, from South America demanding that they finally be recognized by the rest of the world and host its first Olympics (Rio eventually won on that campaign), Spain had a Spaniard heading the decision committee and begging for an home Olympics before he died, and the Asian bloc all voted for Japan (which despite recently having the winter Olympics and China recently hosting the summer games, had a good campaign on an efficient and close together games without much need for long distance travel).

I remember this not only because Obama was roundly rejected (out in the first round of voting), but also because Japan had the weakest bid and weakest support before the vote, then all the Asian countries ganged up to vote for Japan. There were eliminated in third, if I recall correctly.

Speaking of Obama, does the rest of the world view him as a mixed breed mutt due to his American white mother and African black father? If so, wow. And here I thought people were being unreasonably cruel with some of their remarks here.

KantoSooner
4/5/2013, 11:14 AM
I'm sure some do. Racism is a funny thing. Some peoples regard mixed races as really cool (same daughter LOVES Hawaii where she's a 'Hapa Haole' and made much of). In a lot of places it's just there and goes without much comment. Then there are other places where it's a bad thing. NE Asia is one of those places. The Chinese, Japanese and Koreans are all terribly concerned with the purity of their pedigrees.
But don't worry about Obama in particular. Americans in general are regarded as pretty much beyond the pale by these folks, he's just a slightly different flavor of 'beneath'.
But not as bad as having your country run by a ...................GASP.............Woman. Or anything insane like that.

Lowerbama
4/5/2013, 09:48 PM
That's not what his girl friend Denise Rodman says