PDA

View Full Version : Dentist? Anyone use Scott Harrington in Owasso?

StoopTroup
3/28/2013, 09:35 PM
Seems 7000 patients are urged to get an HIV Test...

Dude was cutting corners at every thing in his office and says it all was stuff his employees should have been handling for him. He's toast by the look of things.

http://m.nydailynews.com/1.1301851

yermom
3/28/2013, 09:38 PM
yikes

StoopTroup
3/28/2013, 09:44 PM
Pretty bad. Guy might have really harmed some folks. At the very least....if any of them got sick after seeing him in his office.....I smell a bunch of law suits.

Breadburner
3/29/2013, 07:15 AM
Way over blown.....

badger
3/29/2013, 09:22 AM
Way over blown.....

While it's not an outbreak (as the health officials here emphasized, heh) I hope that everyone potentially impacted takes the offer for free testing seriously so that they gauge just how irresponsible this dentist was.

The dentist is finished. Voluntarily gave up practicing, but may now be facing a felony for some of his oversights and disregard for the rules

TheHumanAlphabet
3/29/2013, 09:55 AM
Was this guy a sociopath?

Midtowner
3/29/2013, 10:36 AM
And just think... we've recently passed a round of laws capping damages to protect SOBs like this guy.

olevetonahill
3/29/2013, 10:40 AM
And just think... we've recently passed a round of laws capping damages to protect SOBs like this guy.

WTF are you talking about?

The dude is GOING to be bankrupt His Insurance will only cover so much. So how in hell is HE protected?

badger
3/29/2013, 10:47 AM

are you referring to tort reform? (http://www.tulsaworld.com/news/article.aspx?subjectid=336&articleid=20120731_16_A9_Tenmef134018)

In 2009, Gov. Brad Henry signed a compromise tort-reform law that made it easier for a judge to dismiss a lawsuit that has no merit before trial, limited plaintiffs' ability to recover damages from "deep pocket" defendants with only limited responsibility, required a certificate of merit for injured people who want to file malpractice suits and capped noneconomic damages, also known as pain and suffering.

The noneconomic damages limit never went into effect because it was contingent on a state indemnity fund for noneconomic damages in excess of the limit. The indemnity fund was never created.

But last year, the Legislature again enacted damage limitations.

You might be confusing the low damage limit with cases where the Oklahoma taxpayers are basically the defendants. In cases like this, non-economic damages in civil liability cases would be capped at $350,000, which is a pretty good amount.

Then again, I'd probably want more if my dentist gave me aids :eek:

TheHumanAlphabet
3/29/2013, 11:50 AM

If it were me with the HIV from this guy's practice, I would want to get to inject the guy weekly with my HIV infected blood until he dies...

jkjsooner
3/29/2013, 11:52 AM

If I'm getting AIDS from my dentist, she better be hot and it better be nasty good.

StoopTroup
3/29/2013, 12:11 PM
If I'm getting AIDS from my dentist, she better be hot and it better be nasty good.

She'd not only have to be hawt, both of us would have to be sexually obessed with each other and would of had to created at least 10 new entries to the Karma Sutra. :D

Midtowner
3/29/2013, 02:47 PM

Most of this will be likely covered by his malpractice carrier, except for punitive damages, which come out of his own hide and are not dischargeable in bankruptcy.

And before you start to think there'll be plaintiffs coming out of the woodwork here, with 7,000 folks, it's very likely (and this'll be the doc's defense) that they acquired HIV or Hepatitis from other sources. The rare case might go to a jury, but I'm guessing the insurer will either choose to defend 'em all or pay low settlements because the plaintiffs' cases won't exactly be airtight.

But these are the kind of individuals who we protected with that last round of litigation.

And the affidavits are B.S. It's just a way to bar claims and an added expense to the Plaintiff's attorney and also Constitutionally infirm. Why should we require an affidavit from a plaintiff as to why the defendant is guilty and not an affidavit from an expert hired by the defendant as to why they're not guilty?

Lott's Bandana
3/29/2013, 03:00 PM
7000 patients.

Seems like a lot of teeth for one dentist, even over time. Makes me wonder how many patients the average successful dentist has.

Jacie
3/29/2013, 03:21 PM
It was over a 5-year period, 1400/year. Say his clinic was only open 140 days/year (which is a really low estimate, it just makes the numbers easier), that is 10 patients/day. I bet most offices with a single dentist average two or three times that many patients/day since much of what goes on in the chair is handled by hygenists and techs. Most of my visits I never see the guy, maybe once/year when he looks at my x-rays.

KantoSooner
3/29/2013, 03:26 PM
let's say 4 per hour average, an 8 hour day, five day week and that they repeat twice a year, so X 25 weeks = 4,000 in one year. Now, that's if everyone is basically coming in for repetitive cleanings/inspections.
This guy practiced over 35 years. He could have had 7,000 distinnt patients easily.

FirstandGoal
3/29/2013, 04:39 PM
I don't think 4 per hour is a realistic average though. More like 2 per hour from what I've seen.

I will ask about this over the weekend and see what the answer is.

StoopTroup
3/29/2013, 04:41 PM
I'm thinking that the guy kind of has a point about his Staff. IMO if he is getting older and still trying to keep his patient load high, his Staff, especially his Business Manager or Head Nurse / Dental Tech should be held responsible for keeping the instruments clean and to hounding him if he is in need of purchasing new equipment.

Whoever they are....they should also be blackballed from working in a Dental Office or in Healthcare for that matter.

olevetonahill
3/29/2013, 05:00 PM
Seems like a large percentage of Yall think he set out to INTENTIONALLY have this happen.I dont read it that way.

matlock. The damages may not be dis-chargeable thru BK. But are YOU sayin that after everythin he has, is Gone you still going to try to get BLOOD out of a turnip?

Midtowner
3/29/2013, 06:21 PM
Seems like a large percentage of Yall think he set out to INTENTIONALLY have this happen.I dont read it that way.

matlock. The damages may not be dis-chargeable thru BK. But are YOU sayin that after everythin he has, is Gone you still going to try to get BLOOD out of a turnip?

If he's capable of being a dentist, he's capable of being garnished at his next job.

If I was the plaintiff, I wouldn't care how much I was getting paid if this ****** damaged me, so long as he was suffering.

olevetonahill
3/29/2013, 06:37 PM
If he's capable of being a dentist, he's capable of being garnished at his next job.

If I was the plaintiff, I wouldn't care how much I was getting paid if this ****** damaged me, so long as he was suffering.

Yea he did it on Purpose. You are a maggot

Flagstaffsooner
3/29/2013, 06:57 PM
Why do you even reply to that scum-bag?.

olevetonahill
3/29/2013, 07:00 PM
Why do you even reply to that scum-bag?.

Cuz its fun to watch him Dance :chuncky:

RUSH LIMBAUGH is my clone!
3/29/2013, 08:31 PM
While it's not an outbreak (as the health officials here emphasized, heh) I hope that everyone potentially impacted takes the offer for free testing seriously so that they gauge just how irresponsible this dentist was.

The dentist is finished. Voluntarily gave up practicing, but may now be facing a felony for some of his oversights and disregard for the rulesgross negligence, reckless indifference/endangerment, wanton disregard, more sinister?

StoopTroup
3/29/2013, 08:36 PM
Sorry Vet but IMO I know that Dentists go through hell to get through Dental School and they know better than to run a practice like he did. So did his assistants.

It's hard to understand and may not seem fair that he not only lose everything but that he even might have to continue to practice and pay his debts/civil suits but its what kind of keeps a guy from becoming a Hannibal Lector that we need to incarcerate. Heck if even one of these folks die from Aids and they can prove its because of him...he won't have to worry about paying anything back. He might just face the Death Penalty.

olevetonahill
3/29/2013, 09:03 PM
Sorry Vet but IMO I know that Dentists go through hell to get through Dental School and they know better than to run a practice like he did. So did his assistants.

It's hard to understand and may not seem fair that he not only lose everything but that he even might have to continue to practice and pay his debts/civil suits but its what kind of keeps a guy from becoming a Hannibal Lector that we need to incarcerate. Heck if even one of these folks die from Aids and they can prove its because of him...he won't have to worry about paying anything back. He might just face the Death Penalty.

But see Bro, The link you provided dint tell the whole story and thats all I read. What your link said was the dude was cooperating and had shut down his practice
I dug around and found this. Makes a BIG difference.

http://news.yahoo.com/rogue-dentist-may-exposed-7-000-patients-hiv-234810996.html

Breadburner
3/30/2013, 01:51 AM
Way over-blown.....

okiewaker
3/30/2013, 01:53 AM
Depending on your media preference,,, this could go either way.

olevetonahill
3/30/2013, 07:02 AM
Way over-blown.....

Depending on your media preference,,, this could go either way.

What Im thinkin, Kinda like a lot of stuff in the news. Ima just wait an see before I get my panties all twisted.

rock on sooner
3/30/2013, 09:32 AM
What Im thinkin, Kinda like a lot of stuff in the news. Ima just wait an see before I get my panties all twisted.

Oh my, dont let em get twisted!

olevetonahill
3/30/2013, 09:41 AM
Oh my, dont let em get twisted!

Heh, I dont usually over News items.

rock on sooner
3/30/2013, 09:53 AM
Heh, I dont usually over News items.

Welp, that's a relief!

olevetonahill
3/30/2013, 10:01 AM
Welp, that's a relief!
Heh, I usually just take a stick and try to get Libs panties twisted :very_drunk:

rock on sooner
3/30/2013, 10:17 AM
Heh, I usually just take a stick and try to get Libs panties twisted :very_drunk:

Hmmmm, equal opportunity panties twister...a new reality show:excitement:

olevetonahill
3/30/2013, 10:18 AM
Hmmmm, equal opportunity panties twister...a new reality show:excitement:

:very_drunk::excitement:

FirstandGoal
3/30/2013, 10:29 AM

Of course this would first require that one actually be wearing pants....

olevetonahill
3/30/2013, 02:14 PM
Of course this would first require that one actually be wearing pants....

Well there is that technicality fer sure.:playful:

StoopTroup
3/31/2013, 12:23 PM
But see Bro, The link you provided dint tell the whole story and thats all I read. What your link said was the dude was cooperating and had shut down his practice
I dug around and found this. Makes a BIG difference.

http://news.yahoo.com/rogue-dentist-may-exposed-7-000-patients-hiv-234810996.html

Agreed. I'd seen 3 different stories plus my Brothers live I'm Owasso and they have friends that went to this Dentist. Some stories and finger pointing had all started before I even posted this on SFs.

FirstandGoal
4/1/2013, 07:45 PM
Okay, so I know a dentist. As it turns out, it is entirely possible to see 4 patients per hour (okay, you might be right about that Kanto, but that doesn't mean I'm gonna start admitting you're right on everything, lol) but that hardly any dentists are able to keep that kind of output unless they're really letting their assistants run the show for them. The dentist I know is lucky to see 2 patients per hour and I absolutely know that he does everything like he should.
He also told me that he doubts the ability of these people to be able to prove 100% that they contracted this at the office. In fact, he got quite animated over that and I finally had to drop the topic. Laziness and ineptitude seem to be the main culprits here...

StoopTroup
4/1/2013, 09:01 PM
Greed might have a bit to do with it.

StoopTroup
4/2/2013, 07:55 PM
Things continue to get a bit freaky. Especially for folks who thought this was way over blown. Your a local Dentist who cares about your community and your patients. Yet...you have a Home in Phoenix? Don't get me wrong, my Father was licensed to practice in more than one State but only so he could retire there someday should he want to maintain a small practice and stay sharp. This guy seems very strange.

Door at the Tulsa home of Dr. Scott Harrington left wide open

http://www.fox23.com/news/local/story/Door-at-the-Tulsa-home-of-Dr-Scott-Harrington/gL93EIWR0UaPzQX4A_B_AA.cspx