PDA

View Full Version : Holmes offers to plead guilty in echange for a Life NO parole sentence

olevetonahill
3/27/2013, 06:46 PM
Should the DAs office take it?
I say yes. simply cause then its OVER no appeals just him sittin in a cage for the rest of his life.
If they take it to trial, He may get that anyway but even if he gets the DP its gonna be years of wasted Tax payer money payin for lawyers to appeal everything they can think of.

Lock him away and forget about him

http://news.yahoo.com/blogs/lookout/shooting-supsect-james-holmes-reportedly-offers-plead-guilty-210535570.html

Soonerjeepman
3/27/2013, 08:54 PM
sounds good...DR only means appeals and tons of $...maybe he'll get his in "the yard".

olevetonahill
3/27/2013, 11:01 PM
Seems he dint think nothin about killin a bunch of folk But dont want to give up his sorryassed life.

SicEmBaylor
3/27/2013, 11:18 PM
Personally, I would rather have the death penalty. Who wants to spend the rest of their life in a place like maximum security prison?

Might as well just kill me now and get it over with.

Midtowner
3/28/2013, 07:45 AM
The DA shouldn't touch this one. If anyone deserves the death penalty, it's this SOB.

BermudaSooner
3/28/2013, 08:11 AM
Mid, when they say "Life with No parole" is that truly "no way no how he is getting out", or is there still some wiggle room to appeal and possibly get out at some point?

TheHumanAlphabet
3/28/2013, 08:47 AM
The DA shouldn't touch this one. If anyone deserves the death penalty, it's this SOB.

We agree on this...

olevetonahill
3/28/2013, 09:29 AM
Mid, when they say "Life with No parole" is that truly "no way no how he is getting out", or is there still some wiggle room to appeal and possibly get out at some point?

I aint matlock, but if He pleads guilty theres no room for appeal from what I know. He will serve out his days in a cage

Soonerjeepman
3/28/2013, 10:22 AM
not that he doesn't deserve it...just some liberal life preserving group will support his appeals. I say put him in the yard...turn ur backs for a few minutes..and poof...done.

olevetonahill
3/28/2013, 10:32 AM
not that he doesn't deserve it...just some liberal life preserving group will support his appeals. I say put him in the yard...turn ur backs for a few minutes..and poof...done.

Yup, Not about what he deserves. Its about Justice, Why spend millions upon millions to convict him, then many millions more while he appeals the sentence the verdict, anything else he and his lawyers can think of
Only to MAYBE kill him 20 years from now.

Let him Plead and then Lock him away forever.

KantoSooner
3/28/2013, 02:33 PM
Take this deal and run. You save tons of money over the years compared to the DP. And, right now, this game is all about keeping him from hurting anyone else, closing him as an issue forever and being done with it. There's no inhibition his execution would exercise on others ("Gee, I guess I'll put on a Halloween suit and go murder people. No. Wait. I might get the death penalty." No one has ever said this.) And there's no rehabilitation. He's not going to get better and we wouldn't want him out if by chance he did. (Although it's instructive to note that about 99.9% of death row inmates 'Find Jayzus' about the time they think it might help on appeals.) Locking him up and throwing away the key is about optimum among the options we've got at present.

DP just turns into a big circus and gives him more attention.

rock on sooner
3/28/2013, 03:23 PM
Yup, Not about what he deserves. Its about Justice, Why spend millions upon millions to convict him, then many millions more while he appeals the sentence the verdict, anything else he and his lawyers can think of
Only to MAYBE kill him 20 years from now.

Let him Plead and then Lock him away forever.

Just a little perspective....In Iowa, it costs about 32K a year to house a
prisoner. If it's similar in CO and he lives for 50 years,,that's about 1.6
million. If they don't take the deal, counting the trial...prolly at least
a year away and, who knows how many appeals, I'd guess at least a
million before execution. There is no price to put on the victims' families
agony and heartbreak going through the appeals process. IMO, take
the plea and lock him away to rot. (I can't imagine a governor commutation
or presidential pardon/commutation so he'd die in prison). And, as someone
mentioned, prison justice might occur sooner.

Midtowner
3/28/2013, 04:23 PM
The death penalty is dumb. It is not cost effective and if this deal is accepted, it'll be proof positive that the penalty is arbitrarily applied. But as long as we have the DP, it needs to be applied in particularly heinous cases such as this.

KantoSooner
3/28/2013, 04:31 PM
Rock On,
I have not visited these numbers for a while, but at one time death row was about 2.5-3.0 X normal high security lock up in terms of cost. That was just the running cost of the cell, etc.
Then the appeals along with their attendant investigation, experts, interviews, depositions, etc, etc, etc And that is not even calculating in any game playing. Executing a citizen is a serious business and you don't want to make a mistake.
I think your estimate of taking a DP case to execution is way low. I doubt if we would have to spend any less than 4 or 5 times what it it would have taken to simply warehouse the a-hole for the balance of his natural life.

OU68
3/28/2013, 04:31 PM
The death penalty is dumb. It is not cost effective and if this deal is accepted, it'll be proof positive that the penalty is arbitrarily applied. But as long as we have the DP, it needs to be applied in particularly heinous cases such as this.

I disagree that it is dumb - how it is applied is dumb. We allow (almost) endless appeals, which lead to years of housing the freak, tons of cost (dollar and emotional). One, maybe two appeals, within a year of conviction then pull the trigger.

KantoSooner
3/28/2013, 04:35 PM
OU68, I'd agree with you. And, in this case, there is zero doubt in my mind who did it. In way too many cases, however, the popo's and the DA's are lazy poltroons who railroad guys who had nothing to do with the case. And then we, yes bubba, we, execute the poor dumb bastard. And then you can't take it back.
What was the scandal in Illinois here of late? 40% on death row innocent once they started running the DNA? Something on that order.
It's cheaper to warehouse 'em. If they turn out innocent, you can let 'em go. If they're guilty, they're still locked up in the stony lonesome.

rock on sooner
3/28/2013, 04:39 PM
Rock On,
I have not visited these numbers for a while, but at one time death row was about 2.5-3.0 X normal high security lock up in terms of cost. That was just the running cost of the cell, etc.
Then the appeals along with their attendant investigation, experts, interviews, depositions, etc, etc, etc And that is not even calculating in any game playing. Executing a citizen is a serious business and you don't want to make a mistake.
I think your estimate of taking a DP case to execution is way low. I doubt if we would have to spend any less than 4 or 5 times what it it would have taken to simply warehouse the a-hole for the balance of his natural life.

You could well be right...my numbers for DP is ONLY a guess. The
yearly cost to house a prisoner is based on, ironically, an AP article
in the Register about the possibility of our governor communting
a life in prison with no parole inmate because he "really" rehabbed
himself. I wonder what the Fed paid to execute the OKC bomber?

OU68
3/28/2013, 04:46 PM
OU68, I'd agree with you. And, in this case, there is zero doubt in my mind who did it. In way too many cases, however, the popo's and the DA's are lazy poltroons who railroad guys who had nothing to do with the case. And then we, yes bubba, we, execute the poor dumb bastard. And then you can't take it back.
What was the scandal in Illinois here of late? 40% on death row innocent once they started running the DNA? Something on that order.
It's cheaper to warehouse 'em. If they turn out innocent, you can let 'em go. If they're guilty, they're still locked up in the stony lonesome.

Well, as Judge Roy Bean was reported to have said: "No one I ever hung stole another horse!".

olevetonahill
3/28/2013, 04:52 PM
Rock On,

I agree Bro, Id be surprised if it didnt cost to actually get someone to the death chamber upwards of 10 times what it would cost to just house the maggot in a cage for 50 years.

KantoSooner
3/28/2013, 05:23 PM
That said, I'll turn right around and not be too upset when some armed robber gets shot by a home owner or cop.

olevetonahill
3/29/2013, 08:20 AM
The DA said No way Jose.
http://news.yahoo.com/colo-massacre-suspects-plea-offer-rejected-082005643.html

Midtowner
3/29/2013, 09:24 AM
I disagree that it is dumb - how it is applied is dumb. We allow (almost) endless appeals, which lead to years of housing the freak, tons of cost (dollar and emotional). One, maybe two appeals, within a year of conviction then pull the trigger.

I might agree, but some of those appeals are actually won. If you're going to administer the death penalty, you have to be damn sure you're right. Juries don't always get things right.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_exonerated_death_row_inmates

rock on sooner
3/29/2013, 09:53 AM
The DA said No way Jose.
http://news.yahoo.com/colo-massacre-suspects-plea-offer-rejected-082005643.html

The cynic in me thinks the prosecutor has an ulterior motive.
Probably wants to try the case and use it politically, forget about
the hurt and agony that a trial brings about to the survivors and
family.

Lott's Bandana
3/29/2013, 09:53 AM
50 years in a cage and don't let him watch movies.

Turd_Ferguson
3/29/2013, 10:07 AM
They should let him plead guilty, then tell him they were just kidding about the life w/o parole thing. Then put him in an electric chair in front of the court house and let him cook on 440 until he's on fire.

olevetonahill
3/29/2013, 10:17 AM
Personally anymore Im against the DP. Its not a deterrent. Its Misapplied , too many people are being exonerated.Its way too costly.
Like has been said If they doing Life W?O and get exonerated ya can always let em go. If ya done killed em and then find out they innocent , Whoops.

Another consideration is the Maggots family. I know but hell there are some maggots that have a Good family and those folk love the convict.

So unless the perp confesses and wants to die , Just lock em away forever.

nighttrain12
3/29/2013, 10:31 AM
The cynic in me thinks the prosecutor has an ulterior motive.
Probably wants to try the case and use it politically, forget about
the hurt and agony that a trial brings about to the survivors and
family.

I think a trial in which justice prevails can help with the healing process for the families. No, it won't bring the victims back, nothing will but at least they can see the guilty party pay the ultimate price for his crimes.