PDA

View Full Version : Should pit bulls be banned

badger
3/19/2013, 03:17 PM
Yes, there is yet another story of an attack. (http://www.tulsaworld.com/news/article.aspx?subjectid=11&articleid=20130319_11_0_Twowom831238)

Some like to say that its the dog breed, others like to say that it's the dog owner, not the dog.

While I love dogs and agree that there's good and bad dogs among all breeds, I think it's becoming more clear that pit bulls are more dangerous than, say, Pomeranians... toy breeds. Medium breeds. Even larger breeds that move slowly. OK, pretty much every breed out there is potentially less dangerous than pit bulls.

Ban the breed? Vote away...

olevetonahill
3/19/2013, 03:24 PM
IMHO, If some one wants one they should be able to have one. Just NOT in any city or town. Only if they lived out in the sticks like I do and can prove they have an escape proof fence or enclosure for them
They are Great dogs. Ive had one and seen a lot of others. I had to put him down. so did the other owners.
Its not a Matter of IF they gonna snap and hurt someone or something Its a matter of WHEN.

badger
3/19/2013, 03:58 PM
Its not a Matter of IF they gonna snap and hurt someone or something Its a matter of WHEN.

That's about how NP describes it -- the sweetest, most caring and loving dogs, but then something like a popping balloon, a fire alarm, fireworks, or other sudden, loud, nearby noise, and the pit bull snaps.

KABOOKIE
3/19/2013, 04:13 PM
Man tamed the wild dog and bred them to know when to shake and when to strike. Pit bulls don't have this capacity. It's like keeping a lion in your back yard.

SicEmBaylor
3/19/2013, 04:56 PM
I'd like to see pit bulls completely eradicated through forced euthanizations, but that's not the sort of country we live in. People ought to have the right to own or do whatever they damned well please so long as they aren't harming others or their property OR their property isn't harming others...

So, anyway, I say 'no' they shouldn't be banned but I'd really prefer to see the breed eradicated.

jkjsooner
3/19/2013, 05:33 PM
I'd like to see pit bulls completely eradicated through forced euthanizations, but that's not the sort of country we live in. People ought to have the right to own or do whatever they damned well please so long as they aren't harming others or their property OR their property isn't harming others...

The problem with this line of reasoning is that once the "so long as they aren't harming others" becomes false it's likely too late. Killing the dog and charging the owner of a crime is little consolation to the person who lost a loved one from a dog attack.

SicEmBaylor
3/19/2013, 05:47 PM
The problem with this line of reasoning is that once the "so long as they aren't harming others" becomes false it's likely too late. Killing the dog and charging the owner of a crime is little consolation to the person who lost a loved one from a dog attack.

I don't believe in "preventative" laws.

pphilfran
3/19/2013, 07:19 PM
No...

Get rid of pits and then every death by Rots will make the news...then we want to ban them....

Then we will go after Dachshunds since they can be very aggressive and chew up an ankle....

8timechamps
3/19/2013, 07:38 PM
ANY dog can be raised poorly and attack. In fact, ANY dog can be raised well and attack. My dog (a cocker spaniel, blue healer mix) bit a lady once for apparently no reason. There were a lot of people around and I think he felt like he was being backed into a corner, and he snapped. He is not an aggressive dog, and had never behaved that way (and hasn't since). The vet said it best to me, "He's a dog, they're animals".

My brother has two pit bulls, and they are two of the best dogs I've been around in my life. When his daughter was just learning to walk, she would pull on the dogs ears, nose and tail and use them as walkers. They stood by her and never once acted irritated. As she grew older, they would stay very close to her (almost like guardians). He (my bro) is part of an Pit Bull advocacy group in California. They work to raise awareness in an effort to teach people that the breed isn't inherently bad.

I'm totally against banning any breed of dog.

ASPCA article about Pit Bulls. (http://www.aspca.org/Pet-care/virtual-pet-behaviorist/dog-articles/the-truth-about-pit-bulls) They aren't monsters.

olevetonahill
3/19/2013, 07:48 PM
8TC thats all well and Good. Ill just never have another.

8timechamps
3/19/2013, 07:55 PM
8TC thats all well and Good. Ill just never have another.

I'm not trying to convince anyone to get one, just that banning them is not the answer to random dog attacks. From looking at the pictures in the story, and reading the (vague) description, I'm guessing this dog wasn't trained to be obedient. Supposedly, the dog "burst through the door". From the pictures, I see a really ****ty screen door. It's all sounding like the owners the one at fault.

Don't get me wrong, I don't have a problem with the doing being killed (thank God someone was there to do it), but I think the owner should be held accountable.

KABOOKIE
3/19/2013, 09:18 PM
No...

Get rid of pits and then every death by Rots will make the news...then we want to ban them....

Then we will go after Dachshunds since they can be very aggressive and chew up an ankle....

77% of dog attack fatalities are from pits and rots. Death by dogs are rare but eliminating those two breeds would make them almost a fluke.

8timechamps
3/19/2013, 10:05 PM
77% of dog attack fatalities are from pits and rots. Death by dogs are rare but eliminating those two breeds would make them almost a fluke.

Can you show me where you got those numbers? I'm not questioning your honesty, I'm just interesting in seeing the report.

KABOOKIE
3/19/2013, 10:11 PM
Can you show me where you got those numbers? I'm not questioning your honesty, I'm just interesting in seeing the report.

The 77% number was from a study done between 2005 and 2008 by dogsbite.org.

Between 2005 and 2012 that percentage was 73%.

http://www.dogsbite.org/dog-bite-statistics-fatalities-2012.php

BajaOklahoma
3/19/2013, 10:30 PM
Dobermans, Rotties, Pit Bulls. Great dog breeds ruined by irresponsible owners and breeders.

Midtowner
3/19/2013, 10:36 PM
As a lawyer, for my wallet, I say keep Pits legal and common. Dog bites are strict liability and easy to win.

As a human being, I say Pits and Rots ought to be on the same level as owning lions or tigers.

mojorisen2014
3/19/2013, 11:57 PM
I had a rott who passed away in Febuary. She lived 15 years and never bit anyone and was great with everyone.

olevetonahill
3/20/2013, 02:05 AM
I'm not trying to convince anyone to get one, just that banning them is not the answer to random dog attacks. From looking at the pictures in the story, and reading the (vague) description, I'm guessing this dog wasn't trained to be obedient. Supposedly, the dog "burst through the door". From the pictures, I see a really ****ty screen door. It's all sounding like the owners the one at fault.

Don't get me wrong, I don't have a problem with the doing being killed (thank God someone was there to do it), but I think the owner should be held accountable.

IT seems to me that just about everytime this kinda **** happens its because the Owners are nothing but PWT. How you gonna make em accountable?

How about making anyone who wants to keep or own a Rot, Pit, or any other breed That has a History of being vicious post an insurance bond in order to be able to keep one.

The one I had was a Great dog. I couldnt keep him on a Dog run , he would slip that Halter every time. He snapped one moring while I was gone to church. Luckily He only killed 3 goats.
When I got home he was all happy and **** to see me and I had to put him down.
Never have another.
I got Knothead and Biznacho They might lick ya to death. The meanest critter I have is that Dayum Parrot anymore.

olevetonahill
3/20/2013, 02:07 AM
I had a rott who passed away in Febuary. She lived 15 years and never bit anyone and was great with everyone.

Rotts are a Hell of lot calmer dog than a Pit.Less apt to Snap.

TahoeSOONER
3/20/2013, 02:53 AM
I have a 14 year old pit, old man. I'm about to lose him but he's had a tremendous run at life.

Greatest Dog Ever.

It would heard my son away from the fire place and never, ever acted with any aggression toward a person or other dog. It was raised near a dog park and exposed to a lot of other dogs, never a problem.

You raise it with love and discipline and you will not find a more loyal breed. The owners create the monster pits.

olevetonahill
3/20/2013, 03:20 AM
I have a 14 year old pit, old man. I'm about to lose him but he's had a tremendous run at life.

Greatest Dog Ever.

It would heard my son away from the fire place and never, ever acted with any aggression toward a person or other dog. It was raised near a dog park and exposed to a lot of other dogs, never a problem.

You raise it with love and discipline and you will not find a more loyal breed. The owners create the monster pits.

Bet you aint PWT either are ya?

Those are the ones that seem to have the dogs that cause the Probs. That being said I'd never have another. Back of my mind I wouldnt have that trust.

sooneron
3/20/2013, 09:26 AM
I've never known a Rotti that was in any way agressive. I'm sure there are some gangsters walking around the ghetto with bad ones that they've ruined, but I don't think they are pre-disposed to snapping in the manner that pits have done. I know there are some sweet pits out there. However, they have been bred for decades to be the dogs that they are. It's genetics and upbringing, nothing else.

achiro
3/20/2013, 10:20 AM
I wonder if the owners of pits that have attacked people said before the attack that they are a great breed and its all about the owners?

olevetonahill
3/20/2013, 10:26 AM
I wonder if the owners of pits that have attacked people said before the attack that they are a great breed and its all about the owners?

Heh

As far as the easy Law suits go. Like I said the ones I know who have the mean nasty ones are just PWT and got anything to be sued for.

texaspokieokie
3/20/2013, 10:42 AM
I was walkin my little dog around the neighborhood once several years ago when 2 big rots ran @ us. Scared her so much she (my dog) crapped on my
foot & backed out of her leash. Scared me too, but @ least i didn't crap. She ran under an El Camino that was too low for them to get @ her. i jumped to safety into a passer-bys car. Turned out they just wanted to play. They were to big to play with her.

Another time, in same neighborhood, a rot came @ from it's back yard. Came around me from behind & grabbed my little dog by the chest. (i think, going for the heart), I kicked the big dog in the head & kinda wished i hadn't. There was a guy next door & i asked him to give me a big stick or something. The sob ran into his garage & closed the door. By then the dog's owner ran around the corner of the house, screaming "he won't bite". I said yes he will, my dog by that time was bleeding. He took his dog (probably saving me from an attack) & it turned out my dog was OK.

Rots can be scarey & BAD !!!

Midtowner
3/20/2013, 10:46 AM
Done away with? No. Certain breeds should require owner certification courses so that owners are trained and certified as to how to handle a dangerous dog. Those owners should pay fees to cover the costs of regulation. Owners of these breeds should also be required to carry an insurance policy to cover any damage their dogs do to someone.

There's a real use for these dogs. I have a neighbor who had the wheels stolen off of his truck in his own driveway. He's an old guy who lives alone. He got a pit puppy for home protection. He walks that dog (the proper way) several times a day up and down our street and has taken the time to educate himself on training a dangerous dog. It's a sweet and well behaved dog, but woe to anyone who wants to attempt a home invasion.

rock on sooner
3/20/2013, 10:52 AM
IT seems to me that just about everytime this kinda **** happens its because the Owners are nothing but PWT. How you gonna make em accountable?

How about making anyone who wants to keep or own a Rot, Pit, or any other breed That has a History of being vicious post an insurance bond in order to be able to keep one.

The one I had was a Great dog. I couldnt keep him on a Dog run , he would slip that Halter every time. He snapped one moring while I was gone to church. Luckily He only killed 3 goats.
When I got home he was all happy and **** to see me and I had to put him down.
Never have another.
I got Knothead and Biznacho They might lick ya to death. The meanest critter I have is that Dayum Parrot anymore.

Ban the dayum parrots! Ban them, I say!:highly_amused:

olevetonahill
3/20/2013, 10:57 AM
Ban the dayum parrots! Ban them, I say!:highly_amused:

No ****, I know a few folk thats been here that would Like to make Parrot stew.:very_drunk:

bonkuba
3/20/2013, 10:58 AM
My brother-in-law that had his face ripped off and throat ripped out by a really sweet pit bull would probably say that they should be banned........if he had lived through the pit bull play time. I won't let my kids anywhere around these animals.

olevetonahill
3/20/2013, 11:01 AM
My brother-in-law that had his face ripped off and throat ripped out by a really sweet pit bull would probably say that they should be banned........if he had lived through the pit bull play time. I won't let my kids anywhere around these animals.

Agreed Bro
Like has been said tho They really are one of the Sweetest Nicest Loving breeds of Dog around. Until They AINT.

pphilfran
3/20/2013, 11:54 AM
Agreed Bro
Like has been said tho They really are one of the Sweetest Nicest Loving breeds of Dog around. Until They AINT.

They ain't the kind of dog you want to get on the floor and play with.....

Think of them as the, uh, say, swimming pool of dogs...

When you have one you know there are certain things you MUST do legally, to limit liability, and maximize safety...

As far as pools go fencing, locking gates, no one swims alone, and rescue equipment to name a few, even signs...
Don't do those things and the risk of injury or death escalates...

As far as pit bulls go...

You don't get down in their face.
You don't let them be around strangers unless controlled by a leash and a person big enough to handle the beast..
Have the utmost concern about adolescents being in close proximity to the dog...when I was 10 or 11 my pet Schnauzer nipped at my thumb for some unknown reason, she was pizzed at something...a pit would have taken my hand...well, maybe
When taken into public areas they should have on a bright orange sweater with a hazardous symbol on it to warn all those that are near about the beast on the prowl....jk

sooneron
3/20/2013, 12:02 PM
130lbs is kinda large for a pit, isn't it?

8timechamps
3/20/2013, 12:29 PM
130lbs is kinda large for a pit, isn't it?

Yep.

This conversation isn't going anywhere. Pit Bull's are not like other dogs, we all know that. That doesn't mean that every Pit Bull is a monster. Just like the Lab that attacked a jogger in my neighborhood isn't an ambassador for Labs.

Some people like them, some don't. I wouldn't have a problem with folks that adopt Pits going through a specialized training course and/or being bonded.

Curly Bill
3/20/2013, 12:45 PM
Guns, dogs, fattening foods, sugary drinks, trampolines, tobacco, swimming pools...lets just ban everything that can harm or kill us?!?!

olevetonahill
3/20/2013, 12:55 PM
Guns, dogs, fattening foods, sugary drinks, trampolines, tobacco, swimming pools...lets just ban everything that can harm or kill us?!?!

Not wantin a ban bro. But just like a swimmin Pool there needs to be some security in place and consequences if there aint
Like 8TC said
Post a Bond or somepun

KantoSooner
3/20/2013, 01:07 PM
I had a mongrel when I was growing up. Mixed pit and african bush dog (this was in West Africa). Nice dog, but he had a weird psychosis about german shepards. Just couldn't resist attacking them. He was great with people, played with dobermans, rots, etc, but would attack Shepards on sight.
The pit part of him was the scary part because he wouldn't break off an attack. The other animal had to die or he had to be pulled off.
We finally had to give him away to guys llving in a oil camp out in the jungle where he lived out his life most happily.
It's just too much dog for most people in normal situations.

tdsooner1321
3/20/2013, 02:22 PM
I usually just lurk the basketball and football boards but this thread caught my eye since I have a pit and a pit mix in addition to a husky. The problem is "pitbull" has become a generic term that gets applied to several breeds with a certain look. The story is likely a example of this as the actual American Pit Bull Terrier is only around 65 lbs and that dogs was twice that. "Beyond the Myth" on NetFlix is interesting documentary on pits and breed bans if you have an hour to kill.

jkjsooner
3/20/2013, 03:04 PM

Assuming you are making an argument here, it's a poor one. Some of those things only harm those who choose to use them. Others (like the dog) don't make that distinction. Plenty of people who don't want anything to do with pit bulls are harmed by them.

badger
3/20/2013, 03:46 PM
In case you're curious about the case I mentioned yesterday, the dog owner will not be cited by the city for the attack (http://www.tulsaworld.com/news/article.aspx?subjectid=11&articleid=20130320_11_0_hrimgs318239). It was on its own property and was not violating any city ordinances.

Now, whether or not they'll be sued by the women that are in critical condition (or if they don't survive, their families) is a completely different story.

I like the swimming pool analogy. Without safety precautions, it's a potential killer. With safety precautions, it's awesome.

But, unlike swimming pools, pit bulls don't just seem to be owned by the (at least) middle to upper class. Thus, the safety precautions usually aren't there, sadly.

olevetonahill
3/20/2013, 03:59 PM
Wait a minute Badg, You sayin the Dog was on ITS own property? Why in the **** were the wimmens even there?
Jehovas Witness maybe?

Now If some one trespasses on my property and MY dog bites em then some other *** hole Kills my Dog theres going to be Big problems.

olevetonahill
3/20/2013, 04:01 PM
Wait a minute Badg, You sayin the Dog was on ITS own property? Why in the **** were the wimmens even there?
Jehovas Witness maybe?

Now If some one trespasses on my property and MY dog bites em then some other *** hole Kills my Dog theres going to be Big problems.

Now I read the Article. The Dog was doing its Job. those JWs need to stay OFF peoples property.

pphilfran
3/20/2013, 04:04 PM
Now I read the Article. The Dog was doing its Job. those JWs need to stay OFF peoples property.

The expectation of knocking on the door is not a dog busting through the door and chewing up your ***...

My guess is the owner is going to be liable...

KantoSooner
3/20/2013, 04:08 PM
Yes. Use of deadly force to prevent people from approaching your front door is not kosher under the law. You have no idea who they might be. Could be government employees on official business. Could be good samaritans seeking to have you call an ambulance for an accident victim or to report a fire.
the law isn't going to smile upon launching a deadly attack on anyone who happens to set foot on one's property. No matter what signs you have out.

olevetonahill
3/20/2013, 04:37 PM
BUT, this is JWs yer talkin about :pirate:

Really tho. The place was well marked it appears. Fenced
If it was an emergency They could have just as easily went to the Neighbors shack that killed the dog.

Like I said I still wouldnt want one around me. But That was all on the wimmens

Yall remember How I got em to stop coming around ME?

Midtowner
3/20/2013, 05:05 PM
Yes. Use of deadly force to prevent people from approaching your front door is not kosher under the law. You have no idea who they might be. Could be government employees on official business. Could be good samaritans seeking to have you call an ambulance for an accident victim or to report a fire.
the law isn't going to smile upon launching a deadly attack on anyone who happens to set foot on one's property. No matter what signs you have out.

Right. You can only use reasonable force to remove someone from your property.

Here's the Oklahoma Uniform Jury Instruction on deadly force:

A person is justified in using deadly force when resisting any attempt by another to commit a felony upon or in any dwelling house in which that person is lawfully present. Defense of habitation is a defense although the danger that a felony would be committed upon or in the dwelling house may not have been real, if a reasonable person, in the circumstances and from the viewpoint of the defendant, would reasonably have believed that there was an imminent danger that such felony would occur.

8timechamps
3/20/2013, 06:55 PM
Based only on the photos in the article, and assuming the dogs broke through just the screen door, someone needs to check the mental health of the owner. If he/she thought that little door was going to stop a dog, then they are not in their right mind. Maybe a door like that on a house that the upkeep wasn't sketchy, but not that door.

Curly Bill
3/21/2013, 07:21 AM
Not wantin a ban bro. But just like a swimmin Pool there needs to be some security in place and consequences if there aint
Like 8TC said
Post a Bond or somepun

You willing to post a bond so you can own guns?

olevetonahill
3/21/2013, 07:33 AM

Not even Apples to Oranges bro.
A gun aint NEVER just jumped up and Shot someone all by itself.Most Gun owners are Responsible in the 1st place, Most Pit owners whos Dogs have attacked are nothing but PWT with nothing that na person can get any damages from.

I know what yer sayin tho. its a slippery slope.

Curly Bill
3/21/2013, 07:44 AM
Not even Apples to Oranges bro.
A gun aint NEVER just jumped up and Shot someone all by itself.Most Gun owners are Responsible in the 1st place, Most Pit owners whos Dogs have attacked are nothing but PWT with nothing that na person can get any damages from.

I know what yer sayin tho. its a slippery slope.

Yep, the distictions that you, and jks before you, are pointing out don't seem to matter to the lets ban dangerous stuff crowd.

Slippery slope indeed.

badger
3/21/2013, 08:20 AM
Jehovas Witness maybe?

It's a very tricky situation, similar to the pharmacist that decided he could fatally shoot an unconscious armed robber at his pharmacy.

It does appear to be a chain linked fenced-in property, even in the front yard. There was a "beware of dog" sign.

And also of note, the women who were attacked by the dog are still alive (but reportedly in critical condition, which is one step away from being dead --- fair/serious/critical).

So, don't be too quick to jump on the women fighting for their lives (from the sound of it, they may have been Jehovah's Witnesses since they were reportedly "ministering" the neighborhood) and don't be too quick to jump on the dog owner.

But... the pit bull question remains, because this was not the first incident of attack, nor will it be the last. Should any restrictions (including banning) be considered for this dog breed?

olevetonahill
3/21/2013, 08:28 AM
It's a very tricky situation, similar to the pharmacist that decided he could fatally shoot an unconscious armed robber at his pharmacy.
Darlin, How in hell is this even remotely similar?

It does appear to be a chain linked fenced-in property, even in the front yard. There was a "beware of dog" sign.

And also of note, the women who were attacked by the dog are still alive (but reportedly in critical condition, which is one step away from being dead --- fair/serious/critical).

So, don't be too quick to jump on the women fighting for their lives (from the sound of it, they may have been Jehovah's Witnesses since they were reportedly "ministering" the neighborhood) and don't be too quick to jump on the dog owner.
Not Jumping on them, Just sayin they are taught to be PUSHY and by going thru a closed gate with a sign sayin beware of DOG, they pretty much put what ever happened on themselves.
But... the pit bull question remains, because this was not the first incident of attack, nor will it be the last. Should any restrictions (including banning) be considered for this dog breed?

As far as Bainin the Breed goes? Ive already stated my position.

KantoSooner
3/21/2013, 08:31 AM
How about simply declaring pits 'outlaw' dogs and thus not due the normal protection of the law. In other words, you could still have your pit, but anyone, for any reason, could kill your dog without any legal repercussion whatsoever.

BTW, I favor this legal approach for humans guilty of certain crimes as well.

olevetonahill
3/21/2013, 08:38 AM
How about simply declaring pits 'outlaw' dogs and thus not due the normal protection of the law. In other words, you could still have your pit, but anyone, for any reason, could kill your dog without any legal repercussion whatsoever.

BTW, I favor this legal approach for humans guilty of certain crimes as well.

That wont werk cause If I had one and some sombitch decided to come on MY property and Kill it , They would be breathin dirt themselves.
Like I said Post a Bond or somepun
Curly brot up Guns
heres a deal
Any one Can own a Class 3 weapon IF their State allows it By buying a Permit from the Feds for 2oo bucks.
Course its registered and if ya want to sell it you have to find a Buyer willing to pay that fee again
Least thats what it was back in the early 80s when I owned my Gun Shop.

badger
3/21/2013, 08:40 AM
Darlin, How in hell is this even remotely similar? .

I think it's similar in that there's a thin line between excessive force and self defense. The pharmacist could own a firearm and shoot it once to defend himself and his store/co-workers. The dog owner can own a dog, fence it in and put up a "beware" sign.

But, will the dog owner still be found liable in a civil lawsuit, much like the pharmacist was told he went "too far" and ended up in jail?

Did the dog owner go "too far" by owning an (arguably) dangerous breed and not being able to control its attacking nature, despite the "beware" sign, despite it being on its own fenced-in property?

olevetonahill
3/21/2013, 08:43 AM
I think it's similar in that there's a thin line between excessive force and self defense. The pharmacist could own a firearm and shoot it once to defend himself and his store/co-workers. The dog owner can own a dog, fence it in and put up a "beware" sign.

But, will the dog owner still be found liable in a civil lawsuit, much like the pharmacist was told he went "too far" and ended up in jail?

Did the dog owner go "too far" by owning an (arguably) dangerous breed and not being able to control its attacking nature, despite the "beware" sign, despite it being on its own fenced-in property?

Darlin, Its Simple to me. IF they dont want to get Bit then STAY out of someones Fenced Yard.

badger
3/21/2013, 08:43 AM
Not Jumping on them, Just sayin they are taught to be PUSHY and by going thru a closed gate with a sign sayin beware of DOG, they pretty much put what ever happened on themselves.
Again, I don't know if they're Jehovah's Witnesses or not, but if they were --- then these women were some of the more brave JW's in the Tulsa area.

The ones that have come to my door have all been scared of my (friendly!) shepherd/husky mixes that I keep behind a glass door in full view as I pretend to restrain them (from giving kisses and sniffing the new people).

The only visitor to my door in about 6 years at my current house that was a dog person (i.e. no afraid of my friendly dogs) was a boy scout selling popcorn. He loved my dogs and scratched their necks, let them lick his hand, etc.

He sold us a lot of popcorn that day :D

olevetonahill
3/21/2013, 08:48 AM
Again, I don't know if they're Jehovah's Witnesses or not, but if they were --- then these women were some of the more brave JW's in the Tulsa area.

The ones that have come to my door have all been scared of my (friendly!) shepherd/husky mixes that I keep behind a glass door in full view as I pretend to restrain them (from giving kisses and sniffing the new people).

The only visitor to my door in about 6 years at my current house that was a dog person (i.e. no afraid of my friendly dogs) was a boy scout selling popcorn. He loved my dogs and scratched their necks, let them lick his hand, etc.

He sold us a lot of popcorn that day :D

Heh
Both articles said They were JH's
Now lets look at this in a different light for a second Ok?

Say instead of 2 wimmens it was 2 thugs intent on Robbin and Rapin the woman who owned the dog. The Dog takes em down. Now all of a sudden instead of being a Mean vicious animal Its a HERO.

Ill say it again, Just stay the **** off of other peoples property. and respect a fence. Its there for a reason

OU68
3/21/2013, 09:04 AM

2nd Amendment - don't need a bond to own a gun.

usmc-sooner
3/21/2013, 09:35 AM
Until recently I had a pitbull and a German Shepherd. Both really good dogs both very protective. I worried much more about the GS. (he died)

I took the pit to the vet and asked him about all this pitbull attack stuff. He said it was BS, he said Pits were his favorite breed.
He said that the stats are wrong, he said a lot of times people confuse other breeds as pitbulls, and they don't always verify that it was technically a pit. Pits are cross bread a lot with other breads. Labs, Rots, etc.
He said that pits are not even close to being the most aggressive dogs. He said the smaller dog breeds bite more, and much more prone to attack and snap, they just don't usually have the size to kill.
Pits are people pleasers, he said you really have to go out of your way to make a pit want to bite a human. He said before drug dealers and gang bangers starting raising them as attack dogs, the biggest problem was people would steal them out of back yards. Pits are the most abused dog breed out there.
The thing is just like anything else people don't get their facts straight. People also get them hoping they will be a vicious dog. Like any other dog you got to walk them, work with them, and let them know what they can and can't do.

Mine is about 104lbs, and if he bit someone they would report it as a pit attack, and that would be wrong. Mine is mixed with a larger breed of dog, because a true pit tops out about 65lbs. He just has that muscly body of the pit.

I can play with mine. I can get down in his face, open his mouth, play with his ears. Try that with a Chihuahua.

badger
3/21/2013, 09:40 AM
He said the smaller dog breeds bite more, and much more prone to attack and snap
Agree. People seem to treat small dogs like babies and don't expect them to behave for treats or listen to commands. Bawww they're so cute, who cares if you're peeing in the neighbor's yard or that you escaped again.

they just don't usually have the size to kill.
That's why all of the above doesn't matter as much.

usmc-sooner
3/21/2013, 09:44 AM
These dogs are commonly mistaken for pit bulls.

Boxer
American Bulldog
English Bull Terrier
Mastiffs (Cane Brasileiro, Dogue de Bordeaux, Neopolitans, etc.)
Chunky Labradors, especially Chesapeakes with their muscular heads
Chow mix
Rottweiler and mixes
French Bullies
Shepherd/Lab mixes, especially if they have those bulging masseter chewing muscles on the sides of their jaws.

My wife's uncle got attacked by a Dogo (mastiff) and the police came and got the dog, and owner kept saying he's not a pit bull. He had to have him put down. Even though the vet said not a pit, they reported it as a pit attack. It was in Lawton (capitol of gang banger wannabees) He still says to this day, he got attacked by a pit bull.

usmc-sooner
3/21/2013, 09:52 AM
my point is that people say that pits are different because they just snap, when in fact they really don't. That is typical of smaller breeds. Pits and Rots are much more disciplined dogs and easier to work with.

Fact is you go to these ghettos, where all these thugs "think" they got a pit. When in reality they've got some inbred mutt, that looks mean,that is abused and encouraged to be
an attack dog.

Curly Bill
3/21/2013, 10:42 AM
2nd Amendment - don't need a bond to own a gun.

Duh!!! We all know that, but that hasn't kept the govt. from wanting to ban this or that gun, magazine, etc... My point is once we ban pit bulls, what's next?

sooner46
3/21/2013, 02:21 PM
The Pit Bull that killed my dog is banned, I mean dead.

I believe it could be the dog because the owner of the Pit Bull owned two. The other pit bull and my dog ran around all day together. This one got out one day killed my dog. I set in my truck four an hour and half before someone got there and shot him.

8timechamps
3/21/2013, 03:16 PM
Until recently I had a pitbull and a German Shepherd. Both really good dogs both very protective. I worried much more about the GS. (he died)

I took the pit to the vet and asked him about all this pitbull attack stuff. He said it was BS, he said Pits were his favorite breed.
He said that the stats are wrong, he said a lot of times people confuse other breeds as pitbulls, and they don't always verify that it was technically a pit. Pits are cross bread a lot with other breads. Labs, Rots, etc.
He said that pits are not even close to being the most aggressive dogs. He said the smaller dog breeds bite more, and much more prone to attack and snap, they just don't usually have the size to kill.
Pits are people pleasers, he said you really have to go out of your way to make a pit want to bite a human. He said before drug dealers and gang bangers starting raising them as attack dogs, the biggest problem was people would steal them out of back yards. Pits are the most abused dog breed out there.
The thing is just like anything else people don't get their facts straight. People also get them hoping they will be a vicious dog. Like any other dog you got to walk them, work with them, and let them know what they can and can't do.

Mine is about 104lbs, and if he bit someone they would report it as a pit attack, and that would be wrong. Mine is mixed with a larger breed of dog, because a true pit tops out about 65lbs. He just has that muscly body of the pit.

I can play with mine. I can get down in his face, open his mouth, play with his ears. Try that with a Chihuahua.

I was talking with my brother about this last night, and that's the first thing he said ("Was it verified the dog was a pure breed Pit?"). Cross breading can make some dogs bat **** crazy.

3/25/2013, 11:52 AM
http://www.bestfitpetsit.com/images/2012/06/Famous1Petey.jpg

Is this a boxer or a face-eating pit bull?