PDA

View Full Version : Was Steve Davis aboard this?

olevetonahill
3/17/2013, 10:00 PM
http://news.yahoo.com/2-killed-jet-crashes-indiana-neighborhood-005543312.html

SoonerMarkVA
3/17/2013, 10:08 PM
Why do you ask? Is he associated with DigiCut Systems?

sooner_kaufy
Somebody just tweeted that Davis has been confirmed dead! Not sure how reliable. Terrible news if true.

okiewaker
From what I been reading,,he was aboard.

olevetonahill
3/17/2013, 10:12 PM
Why do you ask? Is he associated with DigiCut Systems?

Cause of Rumors all over the Innerwebs .
Yea I had heard he was the Co-Pilot. But every thing is just Rumor right now. But some folks on Pay sites are sayin its True.

Regardless, Prayers for everyone involved.

SoonerMarkVA
3/17/2013, 10:23 PM
Yeah, just read over at LandTheives. They're now showing a tweet from Davis' nephew that he's dead. So, so terrible.

Salt City Sooner
3/17/2013, 10:23 PM
His nephew is confirming: https://twitter.com/MrBarthalamul

olevetonahill
3/17/2013, 10:29 PM
Well ****. I was hoping I was wrong

Blue
3/17/2013, 10:32 PM
Damn. Thoughts and prayers to the Davis's and whoever else was on that plane.

picasso
3/17/2013, 10:58 PM
Man, I'veseen him 2 times recently. At my work and at the at&t store. He had dinner at my house when I was a kid.

jk the sooner fan
3/17/2013, 11:02 PM
http://i50.photobucket.com/albums/f343/jksantee/BFm55ttCQAAdzzsjpglarge_zpsc20aa51a.jpg

as a little boy - Steve Davis was my first 'favorite player'- the guy I idolized - and has always been my sentimental favorite

without a doubt - a legend at OU

what a loss if this news is true. i'm stunned.... :(

Soonerus
3/17/2013, 11:29 PM
Plane crash...

Therealsouthsider
3/17/2013, 11:44 PM
When I was a boy I wrote a letter to coach Switzer congratulating him on being named the head coach at OU, he wrote a nice thank you letter to me and also included an autographed photo of Steve Davis...on the photo Steve wrote " Greg, A real loyal fan and friend. Best wishes in all that you do." I have always believed that was the way Steve Davis looked at all of us...as loyal fans and friends

ss

Soonerus
3/17/2013, 11:45 PM
So sad...

ouwasp
3/18/2013, 12:00 AM
RIP Steve

The Apostle Paul wrote: "Absent from the body, present with the Lord..."

Prayers for his family and those of the other victims.

SanJoaquinSooner
3/18/2013, 12:03 AM
A great, great Sooner.

nighttrain12
3/18/2013, 12:05 AM
When I was a boy I wrote a letter to coach Switzer congratulating him on being named the head coach at OU, he wrote a nice thank you letter to me and also included an autographed photo of Steve Davis...on the photo Steve wrote " Greg, A real loyal fan and friend. Best wishes in all that you do." I have always believed that was the way Steve Davis looked at all of us...as loyal fans and friends

Just curious, do you still have the letter and/or photo?

Therealsouthsider
3/18/2013, 12:09 AM
Just curious, do you still have the letter and/or photo?

It hangs in my sons room, the letter is in a scrap book
RIP #5

ss

nighttrain12
3/18/2013, 12:25 AM
I find it interesting that as of this moment, you can find stories on the main OKC and Tulsa news websites about the plane crash but no mention of any names of the fatalities. However, news people and others on Twitter seem to have the most information about this.

PSK2080
3/18/2013, 12:29 AM
I know all people aboard the plane. Steve Davis was co-pilot. I can confirm he is now deceased.

jk the sooner fan
3/18/2013, 06:09 AM
RIP #5

as a kid - to me there simply was nobody bigger on the field than Steve Davis. my absolute all time favorite....just floored by this news :(

http://i50.photobucket.com/albums/f343/jksantee/BFm55ttCQAAdzzsjpglarge_zpsc20aa51a.jpg

SicEmBaylor
3/18/2013, 06:12 AM
Very sorry to hear this. From all I've ever heard, Davis was a good man.

stoopified
3/18/2013, 06:17 AM
RIP Preacher Man

zeke
3/18/2013, 07:44 AM
Dang

RIP

nighttrain12
3/18/2013, 08:00 AM
http://newsok.com/jet-leaves-tulsa-crashes-into-indiana-homes/article/3766914

UPDATE: 7:45 a.m. Randy Magdalinski, chief coroner for Saint Joseph County, Ind. said autopsies will be performed Monday morning on two bodies from the airplane crash in South Bend Sunday afternoon. He said names are not expected to be released until Monday afternoon. He said two people on the airplane were hospitalized with injuries.

badger
3/18/2013, 08:17 AM
Family confirmed here also (http://www.tulsaworld.com/sportsextra/OU/article.aspx?subjectid=92&articleid=20130318_92_0_SteveD595039)

Boomer.....
3/18/2013, 08:48 AM
Steve Davis, former OU quarterback, killed in Indiana airplane crash (http://newsok.com/article/3767094)

:(

3/18/2013, 09:07 AM
Met him when I was a kid. I was him in many back yard football games. This is sad news.

cleller
3/18/2013, 09:33 AM
Some terrible news. Davis was way more than just a fantastic (32-1!) football player, he was one of the all-time truly great, nice guys.

70sooner
3/18/2013, 09:42 AM
damnit. we are losing too many guys too damn early. this really sucks.

RIP and condolences to the family of both men who died in the crash.

BB37
3/18/2013, 09:52 AM
Very sad day for OU football. Steve Davis was a great Sooner. Prayers for his family.

Lott's Bandana
3/18/2013, 09:53 AM
Lost his second game. RIP.

Bobby, Jack, Steve and Thomas were "my" quarterbacks growing up.

yermom
3/18/2013, 10:27 AM

as a little boy - Steve Davis was my first 'favorite player'- the guy I idolized - and has always been my sentimental favorite

without a doubt - a legend at OU

what a loss if this news is true. i'm stunned.... :(

you in that jersey was about the first thing i thought of. he was before my time. it's sad nonetheless :(

hawaii 5-0
3/18/2013, 10:30 AM
Very sad news indeed.

5-0

olevetonahill
3/18/2013, 10:35 AM
I went to bed last Night Hoping and praying I was wrong.
RIP Steve, Prayers again for all the Family's off all the people involved.

BB37
3/18/2013, 10:40 AM

No, his second game was the 7-7 tie with USC in 1973. That game wasn't televised because of OU being on probation. I remember listening to BBSr call that game on the radio. Steve Davis only lost one game (KU in '75), and tied one game, and won two MNCs.

OU football lost one of its greatest ambassadors yesterday.

SoonerNomad
3/18/2013, 10:46 AM
Very sad news. I moved from Nebraska to Burkburnett, Texas in 1972. I started listening to OU games on the radio that fall and listened to everyone of his starts. I was a freshman and sophomore in high school when he led the Sooners to the two titles. He stands out in my mind as a solid player, but an even better person. He was on TV a lot in the 80's. He will be missed. Sad, sad day.

ousoonerfan
3/18/2013, 11:04 AM
Steve spoke at a United Methodist Men's retreat a few weeks ago at Camp Egan, east of Tahlequah. It was the first time I met him and everyone here is absolutely right. A great ambassador for OU and a great guy all around. He spoke about reaching out to people who have impacted his life and letting them know how important their influence was to him over the years. RIP

SoonerMarkVA
3/18/2013, 11:27 AM

Steve, Thomas, and JC for me. Pretty high bar to set when Steve Davis is the first QB you know.

GrapevineSooner
3/18/2013, 11:27 AM
Very sad news.

And if I may say, I'm a little dismayed that the official website and twitter feed of the Sooner athletic department has yet to make any mention of his passing almost 3 hours after official confirmation from the St. Joseph County Coroner's Office in Indiana.

SoonerorLater
3/18/2013, 11:37 AM
Shocked and saddened. Great memories. I know there is a seat waiting of him.

olevetonahill
3/18/2013, 11:56 AM
Very sad news.

And if I may say, I'm a little dismayed that the official website and twitter feed of the Sooner athletic department has yet to make any mention of his passing almost 3 hours after official confirmation from the St. Joseph County Coroner's Office in Indiana.

Maybe they are in Shock also.

badger
3/18/2013, 12:18 PM
Very sad news.

It's better to wait than to be early and wrong. A lot of the media decided to jump on this last night before anyone confirmed it publicly. Would have been really bad to have been wrong on that one

BoulderSooner79
3/18/2013, 12:18 PM
This one really stings - Steve Davis has been taken too soon from us. I was a freshman at OU in '74 and watched Steve lead our team to 2 national titles while being the model citizen off the field. A true winner.

Sooners78
3/18/2013, 12:36 PM
Very sad. Davis is one of my all-time favorite Sooners.

Curly Bill
3/18/2013, 12:38 PM
I'd heard about the crash, but didn't know until now that Steve Davis was on it. How sad.

Herr Scholz
3/18/2013, 12:44 PM
Condolences.

Sooners78
3/18/2013, 12:52 PM
That makes 4 Sooner icons that have recently been taken from us much too soon. Tisdale, Mildren, Selmon, and now Davis. Am I forgetting someone?

Mjcpr
3/18/2013, 01:02 PM
That makes 4 Sooner icons that have recently been taken from us much too soon. Tisdale, Mildren, Selmon, and now Davis. Am I forgetting someone?

Rick Bryan.

Lott's Bandana
3/18/2013, 01:05 PM
Time for a sticky and a thread merge?

I just listened to KREF with Little Joe and Tinker. That was a tough listen.

Sadly, probation and the Wishbone keeps him out of the CF Hall of Fame, which requires players to be first-team all-americans to be considered. That wasn't happening in the early '70's, especially with probation.

32-1-1 and two MNCs...credentials worthy IMO.

vtsooner21
3/18/2013, 01:07 PM
Please forgive me for this quote, but words of my own fail me at this time. "To live in hearts that we leave behind is to have never passed".

Boomer

TheHumanAlphabet
3/18/2013, 01:07 PM
R.I.P. Sad news.

Lott's Bandana
3/18/2013, 01:09 PM
Derrick Shepard

Bryan and Shepard might not be "icons", but we all remember their contributions to the program, both playing and now as fathers.

HateTheWhorns
3/18/2013, 01:15 PM

ss

I had this same picture and autograph.....wish I knew where it was. Steve was one of my all-time favorites. After college when he was ordained and began preaching, he came to Dallas frequently for speaking engagements and guest sermons and would often stay at our house. Got to know him on a whole 'nother level and can't say I have ever known a classier individual.

RIP #5. I grieve for your family but gain comfort in knowing your in His presence.

Lott's Bandana
3/18/2013, 01:16 PM
There is a big ole ring on that finger...seems likely he got the other one shortly after this video was made.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X2ujddhoHog

olevetonahill
3/18/2013, 01:19 PM
Time for a sticky and a thread merge?

I just listened to KREF with Little Joe and Tinker. That was a tough listen.

Sadly, probation and the Wishbone keeps him out of the CF Hall of Fame, which requires players to be first-team all-americans to be considered. That wasn't happening in the early '70's, especially with probation.

32-1-1 and two MNCs...credentials worthy IMO.

Hell of a Player, Hell of a Man.

Lott's Bandana
3/18/2013, 01:27 PM
Very sad news.

I understand there is an expectation that there would be something, but I'm sure they are weighing in their response, consoling the family and also, the school is on Spring Break so possibly minimally staffed.

I'm confident there will be something to come and that it will be respectful and appropriate. The man we lost deserves nothing less.

olevetonahill
3/18/2013, 01:30 PM
I understand there is an expectation that there would be something, but I'm sure they are weighing in their response, consoling the family and also, the school is on Spring Break so possibly minimally staffed.

I'm confident there will be something to come and that it will be respectful and appropriate. The man we lost deserves nothing less.
Agree 1000%

badger
3/18/2013, 01:33 PM
Ever boo a Sooner or consider doing it? Consider this:

Davis, who went 32-1-1 in three seasons as a starter in Barry Switzer’s wishbone offense from 1973-75, heard a chorus of boos as he left the field following his one defeat, a shocking loss to Kansas.

“He thought they were just booing him,” Switzer told me through the tears late Sunday night. “I said, ‘Hell Steve, they’re booing both of us. But they don’t know. They don’t understand. All they want is a win.’ ”
Link (http://www.tulsaworld.com/blogs/sportspost.aspx?Steve_Davis_kindness_had_no_limits ;_neither_did_his_love_of_Sooner_football/54-19501)

Boo the refs, boo Texas, but for Steve's sake, don't boo Sooners. :(

mojorisen2014
3/18/2013, 01:38 PM
That makes 4 Sooner icons that have recently been taken from us much too soon. Tisdale, Mildren, Selmon, and now Davis. Am I forgetting someone? jimmy harris was no spring chicken but still a big loss

rock on sooner
3/18/2013, 02:06 PM
RIP #5....

SoonerorLater
3/18/2013, 02:17 PM
There is a big ole ring on that finger...seems likely he got the other one shortly after this video was made.

Amen. Got a little choked up on that. Steve Davis was a guy that literally practice what he preached.

TUSooner
3/18/2013, 03:21 PM
That really is too sad. I am very, very sorry to hear it. Davis's years were my prime years as a teen-aged Sooner fan. He was a guy whom any decent person could and should admire. I don't think we fans appreciated how great he really was because OU had so much wishbone talent in those days. I'm also pretty sure we didn't quite appreciate what a fine man he was, though it was obvious and became more so as he got older. At the very least he brought credit to OU and was a man we Sooners could be proud of. May he and Wesley Caves rest in peace and love, and may light eternal shine upon them.

aero
3/18/2013, 03:27 PM
One of my all time Sooner favorites. Those were glory days indeed. Condolences to the families.

wishbonesooner
3/18/2013, 03:28 PM
That 7-7 tie with USC signaled the arrival of that Sooner dynasty. I believe USC was the defending national champ and still had a team full of stars. Little Joe's punt return is still the greatest single play I've ever seen. Davis was a Wishbone technician.

cherokeebrewer
3/18/2013, 03:33 PM
Very sad news...Steve was a good man and one of the best Sooners to ever play the game. Condolences and prayers to his family...

stoops the eternal pimp
3/18/2013, 04:34 PM
I had a few conversations with Steve concerning my own faith walk..Never talked football though.

God Bless Steve.

olevetonahill
3/18/2013, 04:37 PM
Very sad news.

Here it is. Very well done and Lots of Class.

http://www.soonersports.com/sports/m-footbl/spec-rel/031813aaa.html

sooner n houston
3/18/2013, 05:58 PM
I am doubly troubled today. I just learned of this tragedy from a friend. Steve was an exceptional person and football player that I greatly admired. The other casualty in this accident, the pilot Wes Caves, was a childhood friend of mine. RIP.

Both families are in my prayers tonight.

The Remnant
3/18/2013, 06:13 PM
A friend of mine was a wide receiver for USC in 1973. I met up with him at the end of the season and he told me that the Sooners were far and away the most talented team that they played that year.

tulsaoilerfan
3/18/2013, 06:59 PM
RIP Steve; i grew up with those first Switzer teams and those guys were my idols; Steve, Little Joe, Lee Roy, Jimbo, and even though he wasn't a Switzer player Greg Pruitt; makes me feel really old when any of those guys are taken from us.

Sabanball
3/18/2013, 07:01 PM
Condolences on your loss. I can remember watching Steve host Switzer's midweek show back in the '80's when I was living out there. He was a class act all the way.

Only three collegiate qb's have led their teams to consecutive NC's in the last 40yrs: AJ McCarron, Tommy Frazier, and Steve Davis.

3/18/2013, 07:27 PM
Sorry for your loss.

3/18/2013, 07:35 PM
Many of us grew up in the time to remember Steve on the field. Thanks for the amazing memories.

MyT Oklahoma
3/18/2013, 08:07 PM
I heard about this news right before lunch today and I was both shocked and saddened.

I became an OU football fan during the Run of '71 so I got to watch the two TV games in 1973 (Texas and Nebraska) and listen to everything else on AM radio including that Saturday night game at USC. Oh how I learned to love the Sooners in the 1970's and following them week after week and year after year. There are so many good memories from that wonderful decade and Steve Davis played a part in a number of them.

Anyway, dear Lord please forgive Steve his sins, please be merciful, and please grant his immortal soul eternal peace and everlasting life. Thy will be done.

P.S. Thanks for the memories #5 and Rest In Peace.

MyT Oklahoma
3/18/2013, 08:07 PM

Thanks for sharing. Much appeciated.

Piware
3/19/2013, 12:41 PM
What a sad day for the Sooner Nation. Steve Davis was not only a brilliant athlete, he was the consummate classy gentleman. Lots of role models have emerged from the Sooner ranks and he belongs right at the top. May God be with this family.

picasso
3/19/2013, 05:32 PM
Steve preached at our church when I was little and I recall him showing game film in our fellowship hall. Later he ate lunch at my home, I'm guessing because my father was a Deacon. this was mid 70's, not long after he graduated.
My wife and I saw him coming out of the theater in '08 just after Christmas, it was a small crowd and we talked on our way out the door. He said OU was going to need some luck against Florida and Tebow.

And as I said, he was in our eye glass store the Friday before the RRS back in October. A guy I wrk with in the back is a big OU fan like me and he went up and talked to him. I was busy. Now we wish we'd gotten pics with him.

winout
3/19/2013, 10:55 PM
Steve also came to a Bible study at my church when I was 11. I still have the autographed football some 39 years later. I grew up listening on the radio to the games and like most Okie kids emulated the OU quarterback in our backyard games. I still remember the sting of losing to KU in '75. My father, not a sports fan, was from Kansas and got some mileage out of that loss to my chagrin. The Selmons, Tinker Owens, Little Joe and #5... those were the days to grow up in Oklahoma for sure.

I never saw Steve after that day. Someday in heaven I'll have to thank him for the inspiration and example he was to me, from afar, to live a life that our Saviour can be pleased with. Rest in Peace, Steve.

http://7mileseast.com/resources/SDFootballsmall.jpg