PDA

View Full Version : Injuries vs scholarship

Dan Thompson
3/16/2013, 02:30 PM
When a player is injured and is out for the year or it’s a career ending injury, does he lose his scholarship, is he own his own to pay for the rest of his college?

DarrellZero
3/16/2013, 03:03 PM
MEDICAL EXEMPTION

A medical exemption can be given to an athlete who suffers an injury or illness that ends their career. It ensures that, for their remaining eligibility, they receive all the financial aid they would have received before the medical problem. A medical exemption does not count against the program's scholarship limit (for football, it is 85), but is still paid for from the program's budget. If the injury occurs during a season, that player still does count against the scholarship limit. Once the season ends, they can be moved to medical exemption and another scholarship is freed up.

Examples of OU football medical exemptions: Dylan Dismuke (2012, knee injury); Laith Harlow (2012, back injury suffered while still in high school, but committed to OU); Corey Wilson (2009, car accident left him paralyzed).

http://newsok.com/how-the-ncaa-allows-medical-exemptions/article/3697118

MyT Oklahoma
3/16/2013, 08:18 PM
Thanks for the explanation and its good to know that the kids involved can stay and still get their degrees.

Ruf/Nek7
3/17/2013, 09:35 AM
This is probably one of the few things the NCAA got right. It is a win-win for both athlete and program. Athlete can stay in school, program is allowed another scholarship. The only issue is when it happens to a program that does not yield a profit each season.

MichiganSooner
3/18/2013, 09:30 AM
Does the player get medical care from the team or do the parents have to pay the bills.

8timechamps
3/18/2013, 08:08 PM
Does the player get medical care from the team or do the parents have to pay the bills.

I'm pretty sure they remain under the coverage of the school/team care. The reason I say "pretty sure", is because I don't know if it's subject to how they were injured. For example, if a player is injured playing basketball in the off-season, is he still covered versus a player that suffers a career ending injury while playing in a game or practice.

In other words, I have no clue and this post was pretty much a waste of time for the both of us.