PDA

View Full Version : Hey okie52...you gonna like this.

diverdog
3/15/2013, 03:29 AM
http://gizmodo.com/5990383/the-future-of-nuclear-power-runs-on-the-waste-of-our-nuclear-past

If this works it could be huge! By works I mean commercially viable.

okie52
3/15/2013, 04:13 AM
I'm all for it but...

They have been reprocessing nuclear waste in France for quite some time (again, US technology) and reducing their nuclear waste by as much as 95% while enjoying the energy it produces through conventional reactors.

We could be doing that here but Obama won't allow it as the reprocessed waste Is more "weapon ready" and subject to a terrorist threat....which I find ludicrous for someone that killed our singular nuclear storage site and continues nuclear waste storage at 104 sites around the country.

More impressive to me about this salt system is the waste being reduced to hundreds of years of radioactivity vs thousands of years by our current methods....even by the reprocessed system I just mentioned.

diverdog
3/15/2013, 06:18 AM
I'm all for it but...

They have been reprocessing nuclear waste in France for quite some time (again, US technology) and reducing their nuclear waste by as much as 95% while enjoying the energy it produces through conventional reactors.

We could be doing that here but Obama won't allow it as the reprocessed waste Is more "weapon ready" and subject to a terrorist threat....which I find ludicrous for someone that killed our singular nuclear storage site and continues nuclear waste storage at 104 sites around the country.

More impressive to me about this salt system is the waste being reduced to hundreds of years of radioactivity vs thousands of years by our current methods....even by the reprocessed system I just mentioned.

I also know that the Sea Wolf submarine had a similar reactor and there were operational issues. Corrosion was one problem.

Obama needs to wake up on energy and embrace sources that do not contribute to GW and air pollution. NG and nuclear power seem to be very good options.. Getting energy independence from cheap home grown sources will fix a bunch of issues.

No news on my moms well. We should know in a week.

okie52
3/15/2013, 09:04 AM
I also know that the Sea Wolf submarine had a similar reactor and there were operational issues. Corrosion was one problem.

Obama needs to wake up on energy and embrace sources that do not contribute to GW and air pollution. NG and nuclear power seem to be very good options.. Getting energy independence from cheap home grown sources will fix a bunch of issues.

No news on my moms well. We should know in a week.

Nukes probably took a hit on the Japanese quake/sunami...although they were both category 9...not that there was really any momentum in the states before that for nukes.

I agree, we should be building those nukes as a long term hedge but I also think the NG glut will dampen any movement on nukes in the near future.

Good luck on the well. Maybe you all will become part of the evil oil empire.

SanJoaquinSooner
3/15/2013, 09:51 AM
When I clicked on the link, I initially thought it was a picture of a nuclear powered catapult. Otherwise, I don't know why Okie would be interested.

diverdog
3/15/2013, 11:29 AM
When I clicked on the link, I initially thought it was a picture of a nuclear powered catapult. Otherwise, I don't know why Okie would be interested.

I guess you did not get to the part where Mexicans are part of the fuel for the reactor. :acne:

okie52
3/15/2013, 12:35 PM

Energy, juan, energy. Nuclear waste along the border might not be a bad idea although a tad bit risky.

SanJoaquinSooner
3/15/2013, 03:13 PM
Energy, juan, energy.

and we all know where you put yours