PDA

View Full Version : jaun nother question

olevetonahill
3/14/2013, 10:00 PM
never been a big fan Of Tamales
A friend left me 5 of em
I heated em up in the Microwave. Pulled the shuck off. NOW what I do?

SanJoaquinSooner
3/14/2013, 10:41 PM
Well, they're bad for the Type II diabetes, so I'd just taste one to see if they taste any better than you remember.

Good tamales are great, bad tamales are horrible.

yermom
3/14/2013, 10:42 PM
eat them?

chlie con carne?

olevetonahill
3/14/2013, 10:45 PM
eat them?

chlie con carne?

Done bro.
They aint Bad, But nothing I would go out MY way to ever buy.
I ate em, Poured MY Salsa all over em

Naw Ill never buy any for ME.

SanJoaquinSooner
3/14/2013, 11:49 PM
Honestly if they don't taste great unadulterated, they aren't worth eating. If they are pork, then the filling should be super tender chunks of pork meat with a spicy red chile sauce - like for chile colorado. The masa should be firm but moist and flavored with rendered pork fat.

StoopTroup
3/15/2013, 02:39 AM
This may sound silly but the Coney Islander at Promenade Mall in Tulsa sells Tamales along with the Coneys and like you said Juan....they are good by themselves but you can put some straight up Hot Sauce on them and they are even better IMHO. I wouldn't put Vet's Salsa on them though. I mean the real thin Hot Sauce that you want to wash off your hands before you go take a leak. :D

Chuck Bao
3/15/2013, 03:11 AM
Someone makes the very best homemade tamales in my home town and gives them to my family. No restaurant could make them that good. I can't imagine anyone saying that they don't like they if they've tried these.

cleller
3/15/2013, 08:03 AM
Yeah, a good tamale is great, just by itself, but it seems like they are the hardest thing for even Mexican joints to pull off regularly. Seems like about 25% of the places make decent tamales.

yermom
3/15/2013, 08:44 AM
the veggie tamales at Pepe's in Norman when they have them are really good. i can never remember what day they are on, Thursdays or Fridays. the other one is relleno day, which is also really good there. those always seem to be the days i ended up there.

Fraggle145
3/15/2013, 01:01 PM
the veggie tamales at Pepe's in Norman when they have them are really good. i can never remember what day they are on, Thursdays or Fridays. the other one is relleno day, which is also really good there. those always seem to be the days i ended up there.

Its fridays. They have so many specials now though its kinda hard to keep track.

olevetonahill
3/16/2013, 10:52 AM
Yeah, a good tamale is great, just by itself, but it seems like they are the hardest thing for even Mexican joints to pull off regularly. Seems like about 25% of the places make decent tamales.

Like I said they were good. Not great, not enough meat and way too much Masa cover or whatever.
Ill have em again IF someone else buys em , But I wont go out my way for any .

SanJoaquinSooner
3/16/2013, 12:17 PM
Like I said they were good. Not great, not enough meat and way too much Masa cover or whatever.
Ill have em again IF someone else buys em , But I wont go out my way for any .

That's often one of my complaints about restaurant-made . They make them too big and the filling:masa ratio is off. When Maria and her sister make them at home, they are much smaller. I think they cook better than way as well.

olevetonahill
3/16/2013, 12:23 PM
That's often one of my complaints about restaurant-made . They make them too big and the filling:masa ratio is off. When Maria and her sister make them at home, they are much smaller. I think they cook better than way as well.

These were prolly an inch an a 1/2 or so around. the filling was Maybe the diameter of yer little finger.
They were OK , But Ive never been a big fan to start with. Too many other messican dishes I like better.

RUSH LIMBAUGH is my clone!
3/16/2013, 12:56 PM
Someone makes the very best homemade tamales in my home town and gives them to my family. No restaurant could make them that good. I can't imagine anyone saying that they don't like they if they've tried these.What animal's meat in those tamales?(just the kind of animal is sufficient, the actual names of the animals aren't necessary)