PDA

View Full Version : Has Anybody Heard About The Riots In Brooklyn?

FaninAma
3/14/2013, 09:51 AM
Apparently there have been riots for 3 nights motivated by the police shooting of a 16 year old teen in the back. My commentary on the situation is directed more at the lack of national media coverage of these events and what the reason is for lack of coverage. Maybe some of you have heard about this but I haven't seen any coverage of it except a small mention on Drudge.

http://www.nydailynews.com/new-york/7-nypd-bullets-killed-teen-kimani-gray-article-1.1287452

BigTip
3/14/2013, 10:06 AM
Not a word.

Interesting.

Curly Bill
3/14/2013, 10:28 AM
Nada!

Soonerjeepman
3/14/2013, 10:34 AM
4 to the front 3 to the back...dang. Going Dirty Harry on the kid. My take is they shot him in the front then as he was turning/falling from those shots they kept shootin in the back.

It's sad, but, carrying a loaded to gun for someone to turn over to police is NOT a good idea. You don't pull the gun out and show...you tell them then do what THEY say.

Jacie
3/14/2013, 04:34 PM
I am sure the witness looking down on the street at night from a third floor window had a perfect view of everything . . .

Midtowner
3/14/2013, 05:01 PM
What I don't get is this misplaced righteous indignation. How many deaths have occurred in that neighborhood due to gang violence vs. death by cop? Where are the protesters when some kid gets shot in a drug deal gone bad? Nowhere to be found. This is the product of federal and local policies of warehousing the poor and providing subpar educational opportunities.

olevetonahill
3/14/2013, 05:18 PM
What I don't get is this misplaced righteous indignation. How many deaths have occurred in that neighborhood due to gang violence vs. death by cop? Where are the protesters when some kid gets shot in a drug deal gone bad? Nowhere to be found. This is the product of federal and local policies of warehousing the poor and providing subpar educational opportunities.

Ya almost had me matlock right up to that LAST sentence.
Quit feedin em and they will quit breedin.

C&CDean
3/14/2013, 05:19 PM
This is the product of a welfare society. The lack of reporting the riots is the product of a liberal POS media. Also, all those "rioters" really looked righteously indignant...NOT. Laughing and carrying on like the thugs they are. Meh.

olevetonahill
3/14/2013, 05:34 PM
And Dean , Bingo's

Midtowner
3/14/2013, 05:38 PM
This is the product of a welfare society. The lack of reporting the riots is the product of a liberal POS media. Also, all those "rioters" really looked righteously indignant...NOT. Laughing and carrying on like the thugs they are. Meh.

I was especially impressed with the gang signs and the Bloods attire.

KantoSooner
3/15/2013, 07:38 AM
I think youse guys are overreacting. That ain't a riot. That's a nightly street carnival in Bwooklyn.

yermom
3/15/2013, 08:47 AM
some are reporting martial law now..

not any real news outlets apparently, looks like it's a little suspect

olevetonahill
3/15/2013, 08:54 AM
martial law now..

Link?

KantoSooner
3/15/2013, 09:49 AM
Seriously? Do we all reeeeeaaaaaaallllly believe that martial law has been declared in the largest city in the country, but because the 'lame stream media' always lies to us it's not being reported? And no one who's watching the city in flames has picked up a phone and called Auntie Em in Kansas to let her know they're okay?

The drugs are winning today, folks.

Time for a reality reboot.

tator
3/15/2013, 01:51 PM
I heard the Statue of Liberty is kaput

Soonerjeepman
3/15/2013, 02:26 PM

no, it's about people making choices...

Midtowner
3/15/2013, 02:31 PM
no, it's about people making choices...

On an individual level, sure. On a macro level, at this point, we know that federal and local policies will entice some people to make bad choices.

Soonerjeepman
3/15/2013, 03:04 PM
ok, Mid we'll start this..I'm on record prep so I got time! lol

My only evidence to throw out there is that you will have some folks come from vary similar backgrounds - poor, single parent, no parent, projects, etc but yet some succeed some don't. The one common denominator is personal choice. Never said it was easy...I've failed myself...difference is I don't blame the system or lack there of.

You, yourself said that are good success stories from schools in very bad areas...yes there are. I know it's not just schools...lack of grocery stores, etc play in to it all. Why are there no stores there? only ma/pa convenience stores that charge outlandish prices? Maybe because the stores that do try to make it get robbed, stolen from, etc. It's a vicious cycle but at some point someone in the cycle needs to step up and make choices. I have no problem helping those who want to help themselves. I've been around these mob riots...usually over stupid stuff.

FaninAma
3/15/2013, 03:28 PM
I read a very interesting statistic today. If you controlled for the percentage of single mother births between blacks and whites the crime rate and imprisonment rates would be the same.

Midtowner
3/15/2013, 03:40 PM

My only evidence to throw out there is that you will have some folks come from vary similar backgrounds - poor, single parent, no parent, projects, etc but yet some succeed some don't. The one common denominator is personal choice. Never said it was easy...I've failed myself...difference is I don't blame the system or lack there of.

You, yourself said that are good success stories from schools in very bad areas...yes there are. I know it's not just schools...lack of grocery stores, etc play in to it all. Why are there no stores there? only ma/pa convenience stores that charge outlandish prices? Maybe because the stores that do try to make it get robbed, stolen from, etc. It's a vicious cycle but at some point someone in the cycle needs to step up and make choices. I have no problem helping those who want to help themselves. I've been around these mob riots...usually over stupid stuff.

You're deluded if you think that the opportunity for success for a student in a ghetto public school is exactly the same as a student at a suburban school.

FaninAma
3/15/2013, 04:15 PM
You're deluded if you think that the opportunity for success for a student in a ghetto public school is exactly the same as a student at a suburban school.

It's not the same but it isn't the school system....it's the level of parenteral involvement that determines school quality.

C&CDean
3/15/2013, 04:38 PM

Wrong again. The opportunity for success is equal. The effort a student is willing to put out is what's different.

I might even argue that the opportunity for success is even greater in a ghetto school with all the Obamaprograms and other shortcuts/handouts.

champions77
3/15/2013, 05:15 PM

+1 maybe if their role models were someone besides Al Sharpton, Jesse Jackson and the other race hustling poverty pimps (not my words, but the words of J.C. Watts) maybe these folks might look to themselves to pull themselves up and improve their lives instead of waiting on the next government check to come along or the next entitlement program to be passed by the pinheads in D.C. Manufacturing and promoting an "I'm a victim and you owe me" attitude does nothing to advance their position in life, as a matter of fact it greatly hinders them. But... as lousy as their plight is...they can always be counted on to support the Democratic ticket. Nothing promotes dependency like a government program, nothing, and the Dems especially...like those welfare programs.

And the black man said, "I voted democratic fifty years ago when I was poor, and today I vote Democratic....and I'm still poor.

C&CDean
3/15/2013, 06:51 PM
y'all racist

SoonerorLater
3/15/2013, 07:48 PM

I am surprised but I agree with you. The life experience of a kid in Camden or Detroit is not going to be the same as a kid in Jenks or Edmond. It's just a lot heavier load to carry. Just the walk to school for these kids can be a life and death experience. Even motivated kids can get weighted down by the day to day existence of ghetto life. Not one of us would want to be in that situation and there really isn't any way for these kids to get relief until they can remove themselves from the situation. To me this all should be obvious. The question becomes how do we start to eliminate to a decaying society. That is where we most likely will differ.

Jacie
3/15/2013, 08:21 PM
The day I read this thread CNN did a report on it, noting that it appeared people from outside of the neighborhood were there and also showed a storefront being smashed and looting by the indignant rioters, which is par for the course anytime a crowd gathers in one of the boroughs . . .

C&CDean
3/15/2013, 09:33 PM
I am surprised but I agree with you. The life experience of a kid in Camden or Detroit is not going to be the same as a kid in Jenks or Edmond. It's just a lot heavier load to carry. Just the walk to school for these kids can be a life and death experience. Even motivated kids can get weighted down by the day to day existence of ghetto life. Not one of us would want to be in that situation and there really isn't any way for these kids to get relief until they can remove themselves from the situation. To me this all should be obvious. The question becomes how do we start to eliminate to a decaying society. That is where we most likely will differ.

I can see you've watched entirely way too many 20/20 and 60-minute ghetto specials.

Welfare breeds welfare. Racism breeds racism. Ghetto breeds ghetto. It is what it is. Some folks have the strength, some don't. Some survive, some don't. Just the way it is...

Now. Having said that, a kid in Jenks/Edmond still has to navigate his/her way through meth/pot/alcohol/etc., teen pregnancy, peer pressure, etc. It's nothing but a major cop-out for people to say "po kids up in da muh****in' ghetto. Ain'ts got em a chance..." Kids up in the Edmond? Hells man, they got it handed to them on a silver platter...Horse****. A little colored kid in the ghetto has so many more opportunities than the middle-class Edmond kid it ain't even funny. What the little colored child doesn't have....????.... a daddy? A momma who isn't the neighborhood ho??? What the white kid from Edmond doesn't have? Programs. Benefits. Government handouts. Free...EVERYTHING???

It ain't much fun being white anymore. You're the one they blame for all the world's ills, you pay all the taxes, and your kids are pretty much ****ed...unless they decide to work hard and become successful...then get blamed for having special benefits some little colored kid from the ghetto doesn't. MEH. To the meh.

StoopTroup
3/15/2013, 10:53 PM
I lived in Detroit in 1967 & 1968. What's going on in Brooklyn is a Swap Meet.

And....

Again...History repeats itself?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Mtwx7EpC_UU

StoopTroup
3/15/2013, 10:58 PM
In other news....

Sharon Lopatka dies when kinky online torture sex goes wrong

Read more: http://www.nydailynews.com/news/justice-story/online-torture-sex-wrong-article-1.1266326#ixzz2Nfi8GMpW

FirstandGoal
3/16/2013, 02:44 PM
I can see you've watched entirely way too many 20/20 and 60-minute ghetto specials.

Welfare breeds welfare. Racism breeds racism. Ghetto breeds ghetto. It is what it is. Some folks have the strength, some don't. Some survive, some don't. Just the way it is...

Now. Having said that, a kid in Jenks/Edmond still has to navigate his/her way through meth/pot/alcohol/etc., teen pregnancy, peer pressure, etc. It's nothing but a major cop-out for people to say "po kids up in da muh****in' ghetto. Ain'ts got em a chance..." Kids up in the Edmond? Hells man, they got it handed to them on a silver platter...Horse****. A little colored kid in the ghetto has so many more opportunities than the middle-class Edmond kid it ain't even funny. What the little colored child doesn't have....????.... a daddy? A momma who isn't the neighborhood ho??? What the white kid from Edmond doesn't have? Programs. Benefits. Government handouts. Free...EVERYTHING???

It ain't much fun being white anymore. You're the one they blame for all the world's ills, you pay all the taxes, and your kids are pretty much ****ed...unless they decide to work hard and become successful...then get blamed for having special benefits some little colored kid from the ghetto doesn't. MEH. To the meh.

+ infinity.

I am that average middle class white Edmond single mom raising her average middle class white Edmond kids who have never received one single dime from anybody. When my son graduated from EMHS in '11, he graduated with average grades and zero opportunities for any kind of college assistance. I am the one who paid for his first year at UCO, and I will be the one who will continue to pay for his education unless/until I tell him he's going to have to help me out by taking out some student loans. My daughter will be graduating in 2 years. Even though she has a much more impressive transcript already than her brother (the child has made straight A's, taken AP classes, and is involved in many activities) I really don't expect her to receive any kind of help either. The reason? She's a blonde white middle class Edmond kid. She's a fantastic kid and already plans on following in the family tradition in the medical field. While I'm proud of her and her drive and dedication, I also know that it's going to cost me out the *** for her to end up being a successful taxpayer and watch all of the proceeds from her hard-earned education and tax dollars going to benefit another group of people that are going to reap the benefits of her hard work and my blood, sweat and tears. I tell her that's just the price we have to pay for choosing to be awesome and responsible and in the long run we will be better for taking the load on our shoulders and bearing the weight of it. All in all, it only makes us stronger and them weaker because at the end of the day, I know how to suck it up, get off my *** and go out there and just do it. Hell, learning how to be tough enabled me to be able to hold down a full-time job while enduring chemo and radiation for the better part of a year. I'd like to see the crack ho be able to be that badass.

**** the weak, I'm strong!

Midtowner
3/16/2013, 03:23 PM
I might even argue that the opportunity for success is even greater in a ghetto school with all the Obamaprograms and other shortcuts/handouts.

That's just idiotic.

If that was the case, all of these kids with superior opportunities would be doing just fine and generational poverty wouldn't be a thing.

Midtowner
3/16/2013, 03:28 PM

Oh the burden of the white man... it is sooooo heavy. You'd trade your life experience for the easy life in NE Tulsa, growing up (I'm guessing your age) during the days of Jim Crow, or at least in the aftermath? And you really think that sort of segregation and discrimination doesn't effect things today and that history is irrelevant?

Turd_Ferguson
3/16/2013, 03:55 PM
That's just idiotic.

If that was the case, all of these kids with superior opportunities would be doing just fine and generational poverty wouldn't be a thing.

No, it's not. They're like that because of their mindset that the rest of us (government), will take care of them. Why work when you can sleep till noon, play your X-box live with your discounted innerwebs and chat on your free cell phone...

Mid is a ****'n troll. There is no way anybody is this ****'n stupid...

FaninAma
3/16/2013, 04:24 PM
Oh the burden of the white man... it is sooooo heavy. You'd trade your life experience for the easy life in NE Tulsa, growing up (I'm guessing your age) during the days of Jim Crow, or at least in the aftermath? And you really think that sort of segregation and discrimination doesn't effect things today and that history is irrelevant?
When does it stop being a crutch and an excuse for failure. You're an enabler. You enable people to keep giving excuses for making poor life choices.

Which black community was more stable and achieved more, the black community prior to LBJ and the Great Society or the current balck community where a black male aged 18 has a 1:3 chance of serving jail or prison time by the age of 35?

it's not racism destroying the black community it is progressive enablers like yourself that keep telling blacks they can't achieve more for themselves because history and white society hates them. Your attitude and excuse making is pure unadulterated evil.

FaninAma
3/16/2013, 04:40 PM
http://townhall.com/columnists/walterewilliams/2012/02/15/rising_black_social_pathology/page/full/

The Philadelphia Inquirer's big story Feb. 4 was about how a budget crunch at the Philadelphia School District had caused the district to lay off 91 school police officers. Over the years, there's been no discussion of what has happened to our youth that makes a school police force necessary in the first place. The Inquirer's series "Assault on Learning" (March 2011) reported that in the 2010 school year, "690 teachers were assaulted; in the last five years, 4,000 were." The newspaper reported that in Philadelphia's 268 schools, "on an average day 25 students, teachers, or other staff members were beaten, robbed, sexually assaulted, or victims of other violent crimes. That doesn't even include thousands more who are extorted, threatened, or bullied in a school year."
I graduated from Philadelphia's Benjamin Franklin High School in 1954. Franklin's students were from the poorest North Philadelphia neighborhoods -- such as the Richard Allen housing project, where I lived -- but there were no policemen patrolling the hallways. There were occasional after-school fights -- rumbles, we called them -- but within the school, there was order. Students didn't use foul language to teachers, much less assault them.
How might one explain the greater civility of Philadelphia and other big-city, predominantly black schools during earlier periods compared with today? Would anyone argue that during the '40s and '50s, back when Williams attended Philadelphia schools, there was less racial discrimination and poverty and there were greater opportunities for blacks and that's why academic performance was higher and there was greater civility? Or how about "in earlier periods, there was more funding for predominantly black schools"? Or how about "in earlier periods, black students had more black role models in the forms of black principals, teachers and guidance counselors"? If such arguments were to be made, it would be sheer lunacy. If white and black liberals and civil rights leaders want to make such arguments, they'd best wait until those of us who lived during the '40s and '50s have departed the scene.
Over the past couple of decades, I've attended neighborhood reunions. I've asked whether any of us recall classmates who couldn't read, write or perform simple calculations, and none of us does. Back in those days, most Philadelphia school principals, teachers and counselors were white. At Stoddart-Fleisher junior high school, where I attended, I recall that only one teacher was black, and at Benjamin Franklin, there might have been two. What does that say about the role model theory? By the way, Asian-Americans are at the top of the academic ladder, and, at least historically, they rarely experience an Asian-American teacher during their K-through-12 schooling.
Many black students are alien and hostile to the education process. They are permitted to make education impossible for other students. Their misbehavior and violence require schools to divert resources away from education and spend them on security, such as hiring school police and purchasing metal detectors, all of which does little for school safety. The violent school climate discourages the highest-skilled teachers from teaching at schools where they risk assaults, intimidation and theft. At a bare minimum, part of the solution to school violence and poor academic performance should be the expulsion of students who engage in assaults and disrespectful behavior. You say, "What's to be done for these students?" Even if we don't know what to do with them, how compassionate and intelligent is it to permit them to make education impossible for other students?
The fact that black parents, teachers, politicians and civil rights organizations tolerate and make excuses for the despicable and destructive behavior of so many young blacks is a gross betrayal of the memory, struggle, sacrifice, sweat and blood of our ancestors. The sorry and tragic state of black education is not going to be turned around until there's a change in what's acceptable and unacceptable behavior by young people. That change has to come from within the black community.

cleller
3/16/2013, 04:51 PM
^^ Amen on both those posts. Been a mantra for years. It brings us back to the observation Einstein made about doing the same thing over and over, but expecting different results.

The problem comes down to the the difference between what sounds good/feels good and what actually works. The welfare society does not work.

REDREX
3/16/2013, 04:57 PM
It's not the same but it isn't the school system....it's the level of parenteral involvement that determines school quality.---Very True

C&CDean
3/16/2013, 06:07 PM
That's just idiotic.

You say it's idiotic; and you are wrong...yet again. Your second sentence reinforces your "wrongness." What I guess you're too obtuse to get is that there is absolutely more opportunity (get it?? God you're ****ing obtuse) at the ghetto school. What there is infinitely less of is love. and parents. And discipline. And resolve. And pride. The fact this is true is not whities fault; no matter how much the scrotum stroking panty waist liberal white apologists like you try to scream that it is.

Paying more taxes isn't gonna help them. Blaming white America isn't going to help them. What's going to help them? You really wanna know? OK, I'll tell you. Pull the ****ing rug right out from under their lazy, worthless asses. No mo welfare. No mo food stamps. No mo entitlements. You hungry? Get a muh****in' job bitch. Ain't gonna wuhk up at Mickey D's cause da welfare pays bettah. Wanna bet chump?

Until we as a country are prepared to make folks stand up, we can just expect to keep carrying them on our backs. What I really get tired of is whiney little white bitch faggoty punks blaming me whilst I'm carrying way more than my share of their load on my back. WTF do you do to help them out? Me? Salvation Army.

**** Jim Crow. **** slavery. **** the African chiefs who sold their own people into slavery. **** people who continue to attempt to blame whitey for **** that happened before my grandpa was born. **** the whiners. **** the lazy mother****ers. In. The. A.

olevetonahill
3/16/2013, 09:29 PM
Dean, I really wish you weren't so reticent.

cleller
3/16/2013, 10:03 PM
Dean, I really wish you weren't so reticent.

Let it out.

Bottling up your emotions can lead to long term psychotherapy.

If you cannot afford a psychotherapist, one will be appointed for you before further taxation.

Blue
3/16/2013, 10:13 PM
/END THREAD and every other conversation about race, ever.

Soonerjeepman
3/17/2013, 08:44 AM
I've taught in the inner city for 23 yrs, went to private school, kids went to a suburban district....ONLY difference...PARENTAL INVOLVEMENT. period.

Yes the suburban schools have better playground equipment, 2-3 gyms per highschool, neater sports uniforms...actually technology is about the same. In fact my district's hs give each student an Imac laptop to use for the yr. My son's suburban hs...nothing.

Talking to the a hs art teacher...porn, facebook, downloading movies, are the 3 major things students do while in class...nice.

Midtowner
3/17/2013, 02:43 PM
Paying more taxes isn't gonna help them. Blaming white America isn't going to help them. What's going to help them? You really wanna know? OK, I'll tell you. Pull the ****ing rug right out from under their lazy, worthless asses. No mo welfare. No mo food stamps. No mo entitlements. You hungry? Get a muh****in' job bitch. Ain't gonna wuhk up at Mickey D's cause da welfare pays bettah. Wanna bet chump?

I'm not sure what you read of mine that set you off like that. Your "starvation is a terrific motivator" has been tried before by the French and Russian monarchies in fairly recent history. It didn't go so well. If prison becomes more free than living on the street with no lifeline, folks aren't going to feel all that encumbered by laws.

That said, if you'll actually read what I've been writing, in no way, shape or form have I ever blessed the status quo as being something desirable. Government resources are the answer and the answer is education. I'm not talking about schools. I'm talking about alternative placements for juvenile ne'er do wells which don't involve their parents except for maybe a weekend a month. Drastic times/drastic measures.

Are white people to blame for the state of affairs? Absolutely, in every sense that you blame the cause for the effect. Whites caused this through 400 years of repression, getting rid of slavery, but ensuring another 100 years of treating blacks as less than human, then passing some laws and imagining that as a whole, a repressed and ghettoized community would simply dust itself off and tend to the orders of the day. There's a cultural problem in the black community for sure and whites are the cause.

Does that matter? Not really. Currently, most of us don't do anything to actively harm blacks except to insist that our institutions are just fine and grant the same (or more) opportunities to black kids in the ghetto than our white suburban children could avail themselves of. I don't care what opportunities you have. As long as your culture is defective, it won't matter.

Turd_Ferguson
3/17/2013, 02:48 PM
I'm not sure what you read of mine that set you off like that. Your "starvation is a terrific motivator" has been tried before by the French and Russian monarchies in fairly recent history. It didn't go so well. If prison becomes more free than living on the street with no lifeline, folks aren't going to feel all that encumbered by laws.

That said, if you'll actually read what I've been writing, in no way, shape or form have I ever blessed the status quo as being something desirable. Government resources are the answer and the answer is education. I'm not talking about schools. I'm talking about alternative placements for juvenile ne'er do wells which don't involve their parents except for maybe a weekend a month. Drastic times/drastic measures.

Are white people to blame for the state of affairs? Absolutely, in every sense that you blame the cause for the effect. Whites caused this through 400 years of repression, getting rid of slavery, but ensuring another 100 years of treating blacks as less than human, then passing some laws and imagining that as a whole, a repressed and ghettoized community would simply dust itself off and tend to the orders of the day. There's a cultural problem in the black community for sure and whites are the cause.

Does that matter? Not really. Currently, most of us don't do anything to actively harm blacks except to insist that our institutions are just fine and grant the same (or more) opportunities to black kids in the ghetto than our white suburban children could avail themselves of. I don't care what opportunities you have. As long as your culture is defective, it won't matter.

White apologist...

Next.

Petro-Sooner
3/17/2013, 02:49 PM
Mid is funny.

olevetonahill
3/17/2013, 02:55 PM
Matlock is pathetic .

FIFY

Ton Loc
3/17/2013, 03:07 PM
Nothing like people with zero experience and no common ground with someone else's life making grand sweeping generalizations. Regardless of the side you want to argue. I'm going out on a huge limb and just guessing that my good white people in here haven't experienced 10% of the people living in the conditions that these kids are subjected too. (but go ahead and tell us how, the lurkers will get a good kick out of it) And yet everyone has the answer. Black/White, Left/Right, Gay/Straight - you're not going to look real intelligent if you stick to one side.

Congrats - another issue where everyone has the answer but nothing ever changes.
BTW- Happy St. Patrick's Day!
Irish car bomb time.

Curly Bill
3/17/2013, 03:24 PM
Mid is a dumas.

FIFY

Turd_Ferguson
3/17/2013, 03:27 PM
Nothing like people with zero experience and no common ground with someone else's life making grand sweeping generalizations.

I'm going out on a huge limb and just guessing that my good white people in here haven't experienced 10% of the people living in the conditions that these kids are subjected too.

Typical hypocrite lib...

cleller
3/17/2013, 03:28 PM
This might bring out more venom, but it is an interesting subject. If you consider the white oppression question, can you also consider the opportunities that have been created for blacks by whites?

There are a number of African Americans that are very rich, successful, educated, comfortable, etc today. The oppressive institutions of the past brought their ancestors to this continent, but the reforms that followed created opportunity. From those reforms sprang the ability for a better quality of life. All sorts of institutions where created primarily by whites, that opened doors to blacks that have allowed them advancement not possible elsewhere.

Hopefully you will understand the point without some reflexive reaction. My point is that it is not an absolute that white Americans of today are "malum in se". Painting any race with that brush in modern times is small minded.

Blue
3/17/2013, 03:51 PM

You are so full of crap and you don't even know it. You sound like a Communist too.

Soonerjeepman
3/17/2013, 03:53 PM
who's in charge of the child's first 4-5 yrs of life? the parent(s).

ya know how many of our kindergartners come in "behind"...about 60%. Kids that don't know the alphabet, can't hold a crayon, don't know any number relations. I'm sorry but it doesn't take rocket science to READ to your pre-schooler, count to 10, color or draw on paper, practice the ABC's.

The recent study showed Headstart was a failure by the time the kids reached 2nd grade...wonder why? NO HOME SUPPORT.

My kids didn't go to Headstart, went to a reg baby sitter, but their mom and I read books, let them draw, etc.

I think it was First/Goal that was a single mom that said her kids get NO help from anyone for college....neither will my kids. White and make too much money (as a teacher...meh). But if you are a minority and poor you can get all kinds of grants/loans. We usually have a good group of boys get scholarships bball and fball to jucos. Guess what? by the end of the first or second semester they are done and home. One of my 5th grade boys in my class played HS ball, went to juco, got picked up to play at a D3 school, got his degree. He was from a single parent, poor, black. BUT his mom really pushed education. It can be done but it's a CHOICE.

I understand the family structure is different...but IF a parent wants BETTER for their kid they will do anything to achieve that. From what I've seen, just my experience, it seems a lot of the poor minorities don't necessarily want their kids to do better...really is a weird thing. It's almost like it's competition.

champions77
3/17/2013, 04:23 PM
Need further proof that the left in this country is quite satisfied with the status quo with respect as to the plight of blacks in America today, look no further than to the Public Education system. It's apparent that the Democratic Party cares more about keeping the Unions running things than for blacks to get a quality education. For the most part, they have fought any substantive changes such as Charter Schools and Vouchers, because the Unions were content on leaving things they way they've been for the last 50 years. Despite graduating illiterates into society by the millions.

One of the first acts of BHO as President was to end the very successful school voucher system in DC schools. He got by with it, but do you think that if a Republican President had done that he wouldn't have been labeled a racist?

I hear what some of you are saying about parental involvement as being the most important factor, but there has been millions flee to the suburbs for schooling in the last 40 years, plus don't you think that the really good teachers/Administrators prioritize their choices as to good schools and bad schools too?

Until blacks hold the Democratic party responsible for their plight, (black unemployment under Obama has been horrific) and until the GOP presents a message of hope to blacks that they can believe...and trust, then not much will change. A new set of role models that abhor Ebonics, dependency, victimhood complex and a culture of single parent families, would help too.

SicEmBaylor
3/17/2013, 04:25 PM
who's in charge of the child's first 4-5 yrs of life? the parent(s).

ya know how many of our kindergartners come in "behind"...about 60%. Kids that don't know the alphabet, can't hold a crayon, don't know any number relations. I'm sorry but it doesn't take rocket science to READ to your pre-schooler, count to 10, color or draw on paper, practice the ABC's.

The recent study showed Headstart was a failure by the time the kids reached 2nd grade...wonder why? NO HOME SUPPORT.

My kids didn't go to Headstart, went to a reg baby sitter, but their mom and I read books, let them draw, etc.

I think it was First/Goal that was a single mom that said her kids get NO help from anyone for college....neither will my kids. White and make too much money (as a teacher...meh). But if you are a minority and poor you can get all kinds of grants/loans. We usually have a good group of boys get scholarships bball and fball to jucos. Guess what? by the end of the first or second semester they are done and home. One of my 5th grade boys in my class played HS ball, went to juco, got picked up to play at a D3 school, got his degree. He was from a single parent, poor, black. BUT his mom really pushed education. It can be done but it's a CHOICE.

I understand the family structure is different...but IF a parent wants BETTER for their kid they will do anything to achieve that. From what I've seen, just my experience, it seems a lot of the poor minorities don't necessarily want their kids to do better...really is a weird thing. It's almost like it's competition.

Government education, like everything else the government does, is a total and miserable failure. No sane parent should depend on government indoctrination centers to properly educate their child.

I was reading at three because my parents emphasized education at home. I also went to a Montessori school until 2nd grade which did a phenomenal job at teaching even though it resembled a hippy-commune and was super progressive.

At any rate, the key to improving education is improving educational lessons outside of school. Public schools are a lost cause. The best they'll ever do is teach to the lowest common denominator and that's on a good day.

Ton Loc
3/17/2013, 04:35 PM
Typical hypocrite lib...

Do you copy/paste your responses? If not, make a list. You have about ten. Probably really save you some time.

Otherwise, what's liberal about what I said? (Quick, this is where copy/paste saves you time)

SicEmBaylor
3/17/2013, 04:42 PM
Do you copy/paste your responses? If not, make a list. You have about ten. Probably really save you some time.

Otherwise, what's liberal about what I said? (Quick, this is where copy/paste saves you time)
I'm guessing he's referring to the fact that you called everyone out for "grand sweeping generalizations" only to pull a statistic out of your *** in the next paragraph and suggest that only 10% of the people here have experienced people in those living conditions.

Thus we have the appearance of hypocrisy.

olevetonahill
3/17/2013, 05:21 PM
Government education, like everything else the government does, is a total and miserable failure. No sane parent should depend on government indoctrination centers to properly educate their child.

I was reading at three because my parents emphasized education at home. I also went to a Montessori school until 2nd grade which did a phenomenal job at teaching even though it resembled a hippy-commune and was super progressive.

At any rate, the key to improving education is improving educational lessons outside of school. Public schools are a lost cause. The best they'll ever do is teach to the lowest common denominator and that's on a good day.

And look how YOU turned out. Ya aint helpin here Sic.:very_drunk:

Ton Loc
3/17/2013, 05:33 PM
I'm guessing he's referring to the fact that you called everyone out for "grand sweeping generalizations" only to pull a statistic out of your *** in the next paragraph and suggest that only 10% of the people here have experienced people in those living conditions.

Thus we have the appearance of hypocrisy.

LOL, 10% was being nice and a gross exaggeration of who was in this thread. Pulling it out of my ***, good stuff. Quick, raise your hand if you think you have experienced what the kids in Detroit, Chicago, Brooklyn, etc. have.

You're right I pulled it out of my ***. Its less than 10%.

C&CDean
3/17/2013, 06:33 PM
LOL, 10% was being nice and a gross exaggeration of who was in this thread. Pulling it out of my ***, good stuff. Quick, raise your hand if you think you have experienced what the kids in Detroit, Chicago, Brooklyn, etc. have.

You're right I pulled it out of my ***. Its less than 10%.

Have you experienced the hell that is Detroit/Chicago/Brooklyn? If not, then you really ain't got a leg to stand on and shouldn't even be commenting on it.

I ain't black. Never lived in a ghetto. However, I was raised as poor as any black child could ever think about being raised. Have you ever had tomato soup made outta ketchup and hot water? Ever play "cows" and eat grass in the yard cause that's all there was? Ever go a decade without a single trip to any fast food restaurant...or ANY restaurant? Ever had to watch your momma work all night just so she could put a nickel for milk on the counter? Ever eat 1/4 a raw potato for your "after school snack" (cause you had to share it with your sibling) and be happy about it? I have.

So, why didn't I, or my brothers and sisters end up on welfare/foodstamps/handouts? Grace of God for sure, but I'm pretty much betting on mom and dad instilling a sense of pride, hard work, and perserverence into our little butts from a young age. If someone had ever tried to give my pop a handout he'd have thanked them, right before busting them in the mouth. In my home, dad came home every night. We prayed before dinner (whatever it happened to be), and we ate it together. It wasn't an option. It was required.

So, it's an easy cop out to go "all these poor ghetto kids ain'ts got a chance..." but it's bull****. What they ain't got is a daddy. Some are blessed enough to have a hard-working mommy, but that only gives them 1/2 a chance. It's bad. Really, really bad. I acknowledge that. What I WON't acknowledge is that it's somehow my fault. Or my pop's fault. Or my immigrant grandpa's fault. I'm white, but I ain't apologizing because you're black and poor. Today, that one is on you holmes.

Turd_Ferguson
3/17/2013, 06:55 PM

Typical lib...

Ton Loc
3/17/2013, 08:56 PM
Have you experienced the hell that is Detroit/Chicago/Brooklyn? If not, then you really ain't got a leg to stand on and shouldn't even be commenting on it.

I ain't black. Never lived in a ghetto. However, I was raised as poor as any black child could ever think about being raised. Have you ever had tomato soup made outta ketchup and hot water? Ever play "cows" and eat grass in the yard cause that's all there was? Ever go a decade without a single trip to any fast food restaurant...or ANY restaurant? Ever had to watch your momma work all night just so she could put a nickel for milk on the counter? Ever eat 1/4 a raw potato for your "after school snack" (cause you had to share it with your sibling) and be happy about it? I have.

So, why didn't I, or my brothers and sisters end up on welfare/foodstamps/handouts? Grace of God for sure, but I'm pretty much betting on mom and dad instilling a sense of pride, hard work, and perserverence into our little butts from a young age. If someone had ever tried to give my pop a handout he'd have thanked them, right before busting them in the mouth. In my home, dad came home every night. We prayed before dinner (whatever it happened to be), and we ate it together. It wasn't an option. It was required.

So, it's an easy cop out to go "all these poor ghetto kids ain'ts got a chance..." but it's bull****. What they ain't got is a daddy. Some are blessed enough to have a hard-working mommy, but that only gives them 1/2 a chance. It's bad. Really, really bad. I acknowledge that. What I WON't acknowledge is that it's somehow my fault. Or my pop's fault. Or my immigrant grandpa's fault. I'm white, but I ain't apologizing because you're black and poor. Today, that one is on you holmes.

I'd never take anything away from anyone's personal story. I grew up poor as ****. Nothing close to your situation. But we had something right going for us - Mom and dad , busting ***, setting an example, etc. Those kids - they don't have any of that, and they also have the violence, crime, ****ty neighborhood, and constantly seeing the same cycle everyday with no escape.

Sucks - no parents and a government funded system that just seems to nothing other than keep you alive just long enough. Plus, no one really gives a **** - inside or outside. Its easy to tell when people care = **** gets done.

I have no leg to stand on - other than making cheap comments at people who think they have all the answers and the unearned righteous indignation (aka ignorance) to back it up with.

Regardless - you're right. It's not your fault nor anyone else in this thread. But who is going to fix it? The government - they just **** everything up unless there's money to be made and even then they do a less than average job.

Typical lib...

Good sport.

FaninAma
3/17/2013, 10:47 PM
Being White in Philly
http://www.phillymag.com/articles/white-philly/

The rate at which the lower socioeconomic classes are falling behind will lead to huge social changes in this country. We are already seeing whites moving more and more to safe predominantly white enclaves. As long as whites are forbidden to openly talk about race issues this trend will only get worse.

olevetonahill
3/17/2013, 10:56 PM
Blamin the "Whites" for everything is a bunch of ****,
Hell ONLY whites are racists, Whites cant openly talk about Race problems unless they are apologizing for something done 400 years ago. or holdin the Illegal beaners down

**** Yall. Im with Dean on this, If ya dont want to be poor and oppressed in the Ghetto get the **** out and make something of yourself instead of lay assin around and Knockin up cherminca every 9 months and causing More dayum problems.

It aint The Schools, It aint the Whites, It aint the Government. Its the ****ing lazyassed folk who wont even try to better themselves

diverdog
3/18/2013, 03:17 AM
When you pack a lot of rats in a very confined area you are going to have problems. There is a big difference between being poor and living in the country and being poor and living in ghetto.

cleller
3/18/2013, 08:09 AM
Being White in Philly

The rate at which the lower socioeconomic classes are falling behind will lead to huge social changes in this country. We are already seeing whites moving more and more to safe predominantly white enclaves. As long as whites are forbidden to openly talk about race issues this trend will only get worse.

Good story.

Its a good thing diseases don't come in particular races. We'd let them completely wipe out civilization before we'd be allowed by our liberal writers and politicians to address the problem.

The hell of it is that tons of people of color have been born into, then channeled into a crime-filled life because of these racial apologists, and their destructive policies. And the government, with our taxes is paying to do it.

FaninAma
3/18/2013, 09:49 AM
Good story.

Its a good thing diseases don't come in particular races. We'd let them completely wipe out civilization before we'd be allowed by our liberal writers and politicians to address the problem.

The hell of it is that tons of people of color have been born into, then channeled into a crime-filled life because of these racial apologists, and their destructive policies. And the government, with our taxes is paying to do it.

One would think the progressives were doing this to blacks on purpose.....nah, they keep telling us how non-racist they are and that questioning anything they do is the opposite.

champions77
3/18/2013, 11:29 AM
One would think the progressives were doing this to blacks on purpose.....nah, they keep telling us how non-racist they are and that questioning anything they do is the opposite.

The GOP has to get black conservatives into the black neighborhoods and let them know how they can improve their lives, that there is a better path for them. The Democratic method of victimhood and dependency has a very low ceiling. It won't be easy, as it will require a change in the current culture, but the change has to happen if there is going to be any hope. What is amazing is the steadfast, unwavering support the Dems receive from blacks in this country. And for what?

olevetonahill
3/18/2013, 11:34 AM

I believe they call it "Modern Slavery"

TheHumanAlphabet
3/18/2013, 11:34 AM

Thank you Lyndon Johnson...

badger
3/18/2013, 01:09 PM
Being White in Philly

I read a few reader comments at the end of the story and someone brought up that the country is largely becoming non-white.

When the majority of Americans are no longer descendants of those who owned slaves in this country or controlled the majority of America's wealth for generations, what then?

FaninAma
3/18/2013, 01:21 PM
Nothing like people with zero experience and no common ground with someone else's life making grand sweeping generalizations. Regardless of the side you want to argue. I'm going out on a huge limb and just guessing that my good white people in here haven't experienced 10% of the people living in the conditions that these kids are subjected too. (but go ahead and tell us how, the lurkers will get a good kick out of it) And yet everyone has the answer. Black/White, Left/Right, Gay/Straight - you're not going to look real intelligent if you stick to one side.

Congrats - another issue where everyone has the answer but nothing ever changes.
BTW- Happy St. Patrick's Day!
Irish car bomb time.

Your guess would be wrong. And the tactic used by the left to try and tell whites they have no business commenting about the state of the black community is bulls**t. It doesn't take a rocket scientist to se how the welfare system is locking more and more black kids into poverty and reducing their chances for success. You need to peddle your white guilt somewhere else.

TheHumanAlphabet
3/18/2013, 01:30 PM
IMO, until the Black "community" (whatever that is) stops calling successful and conservative blacks "Uncle Tom's" and starts to recognize success as an esteemed thing and not the gangsta/hood/drug/pimp lifestyle, they will continue to be an underclass and will see other groups move on past them...They will become a permanent underclass. The mouth pieces of today are doing the people a disservice and they do not realize it.

And as Dean has mentioned, we need to get rid of this cult of motherhood. Single child females raising babies does not bring about well adjusted young adults. Some how there needs to be a disincentive to having babies out of wedlock, in the old days it was shame and ridicule. Somehow, we need to instill that fear again...

pphilfran
3/18/2013, 02:07 PM
When you pack a lot of rats in a very confined area you are going to have problems. There is a big difference between being poor and living in the country and being poor and living in ghetto.

I like this

Midtowner
3/18/2013, 02:20 PM
IMO, until the Black "community" (whatever that is) stops calling successful and conservative blacks "Uncle Tom's"

Here's a really good example as to sometimes, it's important to know how to use an apostrophe properly. Kind of changes the meaning of the whole dang thing.

That said, the whole urban/rural scheme is likely accurate, but I think perhaps becoming less so with meth now being a routine part of rural poverty.

yermom
3/18/2013, 02:34 PM
large urban area poor people are a totally different animal than anything around here. it's just a vastly different environment. poor kids in the country can haul hay or something. there is always someone with a job for you to do. you just don't have the same reliance on someone else to cater to your every need.

as for the black community, i'll defer to Bill Cosby on that. it's time to stop blaming other people.

that doesn't mean that by the numbers, it's a lot harder to not be poor if your parents are poor.

Turd_Ferguson
3/18/2013, 03:30 PM
large urban area poor people are a totally different animal than anything around here. it's just a vastly different environment. poor kids in the country can haul hay or something. there is always someone with a job for you to do. you just don't have the same reliance on someone else to cater to your every need.

as for the black community, i'll defer to Bill Cosby on that. it's time to stop blaming other people.

that doesn't mean that by the numbers, it's a lot harder to not be poor if your parents are poor.

Seriously? Poor folk in the country can find jobs easier than poor folk in the city? There's eleventy billion stores, warehouses, etc... they can walk to if need be to apply. The problem is, they don't wanna work. Why would they? They have the government giving them handouts to keep them right where they want'm. They wanna stand on the corner with their pants down around their ****'n knees, look'n cool and sling'n rock for some under the table cash. Give me a ****'n break.

yermom
3/18/2013, 03:40 PM
well, there are labor laws in the city... how many rural/suburban kids grew up mowing lawns or doing other random stuff?

there is no yardwork to get stuck with or paid for. i'm not making excuses, i'm making an observation.

the rural poor kid is going to have a totally different world view

i feel like if Dean made a similar statement your response would have been different.

Ton Loc
3/18/2013, 03:46 PM
Your guess would be wrong. And the tactic used by the left to try and tell whites they have no business commenting about the state of the black community is bulls**t. It doesn't take a rocket scientist to se how the welfare system is locking more and more black kids into poverty and reducing their chances for success. You need to peddle your white guilt somewhere else.

What guess? It's no guess. Plus, I didn't say anything about it being whiteys fault nor anything about guilt or the media.
Please read the words as they are written. Not everything posted on here is a personal attack.

Mostly save those for Turd -

Seriously? Poor folk in the country can find jobs easier than poor folk in the city? There's eleventy billion stores, warehouses, etc... they can walk to if need be to apply. The problem is, they don't wanna work. Why would they? They have the government giving them handouts to keep them right where they want'm. They wanna stand on the corner with their pants down around their ****'n knees, look'n cool and sling'n rock for some under the table cash. Give me a ****'n break.

This is what happens when you abandon your most commonly used phrases.

Turd_Ferguson
3/18/2013, 04:05 PM
What guess? It's no guess. Plus, I didn't say anything about it being whiteys fault nor anything about guilt or the media.
Please read the words as they are written. Not everything posted on here is a personal attack.

**** you!

Better?

Turd_Ferguson
3/18/2013, 04:07 PM
i feel like if Dean made a similar statement your response would have been different.

Dean has a grande martillo... :biggrin:

diverdog
3/18/2013, 05:38 PM

Turd:

Some of our inner cities are war zones. Hell they are worse than war zones. In some places you either sling crack or you die. I seriously doubt that any of us on this board could make it in some of these areas. These are places even cops avoid. Don't take this as blame whitey because I am not and occasionally kids do get out. However, it is not common and the odds that they go to prison are greater than the odds of graduating high school. Short of sterilizing everyone in the hood and defunding HUD I do not know how to fix it because it is a commonality in most major cities in the world. So it gets back to my point of crowding rats in small places. To many rats....bad things happen.

FaninAma
3/18/2013, 05:38 PM

Your words: "I am going out on a huge limb and guessing my good white people in here haven't experienced 10%........."

Your implication was that whites cannot comment on the plight of blacks.

I have seen what these kids deal with every week I have been a physician and most of what they deal with is the result of stupid *** decisions by their parents. Racism plays zero part in the condition blacks find themselves in. Zero. Everybody has excuses to explain their failures. You can either rise above your circumstances or you can succumb to them. I resent the fact that you attempt to minimize the opinions of disadvataged people of other races who have overcame their bad circumstances and refused to give in to the siren song of progressive provided excuses. It is an insult to their effort.

Turd_Ferguson
3/18/2013, 05:55 PM
So it gets back to my point of crowding rats in small places. To many rats....bad things happen.

Hand out enough cheese, and you'll attract the rat's all day long...

olevetonahill
3/18/2013, 06:03 PM
Simple fix. If a Ho has a child and The Gov. picks up the Tab They put BabyMama On that under the skin Patch.
Take the Baby daddy If he dont Pay to support the kid and castrate the ****er.
The kids that are being raised on welfare and Gubment housing, as soon as they old enough to Breed. Put them on Birth control. Pretty soon the dependent breed will die the **** out.

Turd_Ferguson
3/18/2013, 06:31 PM
Simple fix. If a Ho has a child and The Gov. picks up the Tab They put BabyMama On that under the skin Patch.
Take the Baby daddy If he dont Pay to support the kid and castrate the ****er.
The kids that are being raised on welfare and Gubment housing, as soon as they old enough to Breed. Put them on Birth control. Pretty soon the dependent breed will die the **** out.

Why you wanna **** block a brotha?...and the Ho get mo money for hav'n mo chirren!

olevetonahill
3/18/2013, 07:09 PM
Why you wanna **** block a brotha?...and the Ho get mo money for hav'n mo chirren!

Aint **** blockin em, Just stoppin em from reproducin.

Ton Loc
3/18/2013, 08:12 PM
**** you!

Better?

Yep. You're good.

Your words: "I am going out on a huge limb and guessing my good white people in here haven't experienced 10%........."

I have seen what these kids deal with every week I have been a physician and most of what they deal with is the result of stupid *** decisions by their parents. Racism plays zero part in the condition blacks find themselves in. Zero. Everybody has excuses to explain their failures. You can either rise above your circumstances or you can succumb to them. I resent the fact that you attempt to minimize the opinions of disadvataged people of other races who have overcame their bad circumstances and refused to give in to the siren song of progressive provided excuses. It is an insult to their effort.

I don't disagree with the parents thing. Just, its less than 10%. That's all. It was for some people, not you. No racism talk from me, no media, no liberal crap, no excuses, etc. Those have their place, reserved for actual conversations and debate. Just won't find it in this thread.

champions77
3/18/2013, 08:36 PM

+1 Have a thumb? The notion that you cannot escape the "hood" or have to deal drugs or die is non-sense. With a little common sense and a small degree of self-reliance it can be done and it is done. The culture has to change. For many, that life of dependency is very normal, that's all they know. Lord these people need some real role models that can show them there is another way. See the fallacies of the message of Al Sharpton and Jesse Jackson. Blaming whitey for your problems solves nothing, it just holds you back, limits your future and how far you can go.

Several years ago a news crew, I want to say 20/20 when John Stossell was still there, interviewed some blacks from down around Hatti that had come to the US and they asked them what they thought about American blacks, and they all thought they were lazy, that there were unbelievable opportunities here, but that blacks here just want to hang out and waste away their lives. They were happy though because it meant more opportunities for them, that if you wanted to work, there were job opportunities everywhere. That employers were desperately in need of dependable, hard working people.

The plantation Master of the 19th century has been replaced by Uncle Sam. In both cases, folks dependent upon someone else to house and feed them. Both cases present very little upside to those locked into a life of dependency. I love to see well dressed, articulate, successful black people? Why, because I know that they are serving as role models for some. Wish there were more of them.

They very worse thing about the Great Society welfare programs is that it did not require work in exchange for that government check, unlike WPA of the 1930's. It in essence rewarded that behavior..and in turn we got more or it. Brilliant.

diverdog
3/19/2013, 03:12 AM

Thought you would enjoy this article:

http://www.heritage.org/research/reports/2001/05/understanding-differences-in-black-and-white-child-poverty-rates

cleller
3/19/2013, 07:15 AM
Thought you would enjoy this article:

http://www.heritage.org/research/reports/2001/05/understanding-differences-in-black-and-white-child-poverty-rates

Excellent article.

Table 4 in that piece shows why things are so messed up in the country today, and how to avoid raising your own children in poverty. Nothing terribly difficult about it. Get a basic education, and get married prior to starting a family.

Huh. Isn't that what our grandparents already knew? Its so obvious, but still so many can't do it, and so many others support them and think that's something beyond their control.

KantoSooner
3/19/2013, 08:36 AM
As is my wont, a couple of random points.

1. Yes, you breed dependency and low self expectations (same as low self esteem? Different? Probably a separate topic. But when you believe you're going to be a failure, chances are you live up to expectations) when you over support people.
But,
2. this is magnified when you concentrate people who are living dysfunctional lives as we have done in projects or the like.

P.J. O'Rourke had a valid point when he decried the destruction of 'perfectly good slums' to build projects.

One thing that would help alleviate poverty in the US, I believe, would be to live closer together in terms of socio-economic class. And it may be that we are moving in that direction. At least that way poor kids do get to see, with their own eyeballs, people who get up in the morning, go to work and pay their bills.

TheHumanAlphabet
3/19/2013, 09:27 AM
Turd:

Short of sterilizing everyone in the hood and defunding HUD I do not know how to fix it because it is a commonality in most major cities in the world.

Seems like a sound idea... You need to prove you are prepared to raise children in order to have children...

FaninAma
3/19/2013, 10:06 AM
So its okay to use the threat of mistreatment of kids as a means to extort money from taxpayers?

yermom
3/19/2013, 10:25 AM
So its okay to use the threat of mistreatment of kids as a means to extort money from taxpayers?

where does this random statement fall in the conversation?

which money is it that we are paying that is being extorted due to this "threat"?

FaninAma
3/19/2013, 05:56 PM
where does this random statement fall in the conversation?

which money is it that we are paying that is being extorted due to this "threat"?

That's what you progressives say will happen if entitlements are cut. Parents will let their kids starve or won't take them to the doctor. It's not a random statement at all. We have been told over and over that kids will suffer if we try to cut even small amounts from entitlements.

It's a form of emotional extortion.

yermom
3/19/2013, 07:24 PM
strawman much?

FaninAma
3/20/2013, 02:19 PM
strawman much?

Refute the statement then. If my assertion is invalid then give me a valid reason why entitlements should not be cut.

yermom
3/20/2013, 04:53 PM
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Straw_man

FaninAma
3/20/2013, 07:56 PM
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Straw_man

Just answer the question. Why shouldn't the entitlement budget be cut? What are the consequences that would prevent a 3 to 5 % across the board cut?

cleller
3/20/2013, 08:55 PM
That's what you progressives say will happen if entitlements are cut. Parents will let their kids starve or won't take them to the doctor. It's not a random statement at all. We have been told over and over that kids will suffer if we try to cut even small amounts from entitlements.

It's a form of emotional extortion.

strawman much?

You'll never believe me, but this story was just posted today at Huffington Post:

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/02/26/michigan-welfare-safety-net-jobs-social-services_n_1297370.html

I was actually there to read a story about Bernanke, interest rates and unemployment numbers. I guess that's too off topic, though.