PDA

View Full Version : First weekend spring practice report

8timechamps
3/10/2013, 09:17 PM
Saturday

Practice held at Everest indoor practice facility.
Blake Bell practiced with the first team offense on Saturday. Thompson and Kinght shared time with the second team.
First team defensive line practiced with Michael Onuoha at DE, Geno Grissiom at DE, Chuka Ndule at DT and Jordan Phillips at DT
Jordan Wade and Torrea Peterson practiced at DT on the second team defensive line.
First team defensive backfield practiced with Aaron Colvin at CB, Cortez Johnson at CB, Gabe Lynn at S and Quinton Hayes at S and Julian Wilson at NB.
Second team defensive backfield practiced with Trey Franks at S, Zack Sanchez at CB and Kass Everett at NB.
The defense ran a 4-3 the entire day.
A lot of time spent on special team with coach Wright leading the practice while coach Boulware is adjusting to the team.
True freshmen (and early enrollees) Dannon Cavil (WR) and (S) Ahmad Thomas like they could play this season.
First team offensive line practices with Tyrus Thomas at LT, Adam Shead at LG, Gabe Ikard at C, Bronson Irwin at RG and Daryl Williams at RT.
Tyler Evans (G) participated in Saturday's practice, but his involvement will be limited until he returns to 100%.
The first team offense practices some option with Bell and Millard.
Early enrollees Jed Barnett (P), Ahmad Thomas (S) and Dannon Cavil (WR) participated in their first practice as Sooners.

Sunday

Practice held at Everest indoor practice facility.
Here we go again...Gabe Ikard broke his hand in Sunday practice. The severity is unknown right now, but Ty Darlington will move to center for the interim.
Frank Shannon and Cory Nelson practiced with the first team defense at ILB.
Aaron Franklin and Eric Striker practiced with the second team defense at ILB.
Both Kendal Thompson and Trevor Knight practiced with the first time offense on Sunday.
(new) Coach Montgomery spent extra time working with Jordan Wade at Sunday's practic.

Other notes:

Lots of 2012 players in Norman for the weekend. King, McFarland, Walker, Stills and TJ made an appearance at both Saturday's spring practice and junior day.
First practices for all three new coaches.
The Sooners held their second junior day for recruits on Saturday, and the recruits attended the first practice.

VA Sooner
3/10/2013, 09:43 PM
Damn....

http://espn.go.com/college-football/story/_/id/9038244/gabe-ikard-oklahoma-sooners-injures-hand-spring-practice-according-sources

Here we go again... it's like Spinal Tap's drummer every year, ehh?

VA Sooner
3/10/2013, 09:44 PM
By the way, 8time... thanks for the practice updates. Really interested in how the practices were going, especially the defense.

swardboy
3/10/2013, 09:54 PM
^%$&

prrriiide
3/10/2013, 10:24 PM
The first team offense practices some option with Bell and Millard.

http://forums.chisham.com/images/smilies/icon_eek.gif

8timechamps
3/10/2013, 10:51 PM
[/LIST]

http://forums.chisham.com/images/smilies/icon_eek.gif

Fortunately, it wasn't old-school triple option stuff. More like a zone read option. How'd you like to be the safety staring down those two? Whoever ends up with the ball is going to run your *** over.

BoomerJ
3/11/2013, 12:01 AM
Damn....

http://espn.go.com/college-football/story/_/id/9038244/gabe-ikard-oklahoma-sooners-injures-hand-spring-practice-according-sources

At least Ikard didn't spontaneously combust. Just a broken finger.

BoomerJ
3/11/2013, 12:02 AM
Damn....

At least Ikard didn't spontaneously combust. Just a broken finger.

cleller
3/11/2013, 08:09 AM
Well, lets hope Ikard can stay fit, anyway, and get back into his old form by fall.

stoops the eternal pimp
3/11/2013, 08:18 AM
Thanks 8x

SouthFortySooner
3/11/2013, 09:49 AM
Blake Bell at quarterback. When he was still in Kansas I read a rather long article about him in the newspaper. It spoke of his surety at 'throwing the ball'. Apparently he had been working on, 'throwing the ball', since he was just a youngster. One of those child dedication stories you witness a lot while the Olympics are on. Seems I remember it mentioned some sort of incredible accuracy 'throwing the ball' through a swinging tire and such.

I have been looking forward to seeing him 'throw the ball' since then. ENTERTAIN ME PEOPLE!

LakeRat
3/11/2013, 09:50 AM
A finger shouldn't be anything long term. But seriously can our S&C coach quit getting peoples fingers hurt!! This is obviously Schmitty's fault.

OkieThunderLion
3/11/2013, 09:55 AM
Lots of 2012 players in Norman for the weekend. King, McFarland, Walker, Stills and TJ made an appearance at both Saturday's spring practice and junior day.

Pro Day is Wednesday.

rock on sooner
3/11/2013, 10:40 AM
Fortunately, it wasn't old-school triple option stuff. More like a zone read option. How'd you like to be the safety staring down those two? Whoever ends up with the ball is going to run your *** over.

I'd like to see the option power sweep run with Rip at fullback and
Millard at tailback and Bell pulling the trigger...hmmm 750 pounds
of agility, hostility and mobility running downhill at a high rate of
speed!!!!

cjames317
3/11/2013, 12:19 PM
... agility, hostility and mobility running downhill at a high rate of speed!!!!

Me likey

cvsooner
3/11/2013, 12:38 PM
At least Ikard didn't spontaneously combust. Just a broken finger. Heh...from collegefootballtalk.com: "While the school has yet to confirm the severity of the injury, it’s not expected to impacted Ikard’s availability for the start of summer camp let alone the start of the 2013 season. It’s also believed that the injury will not negatively impact any future “Horns Down” salutes."

SoonerInFortSmith
3/11/2013, 12:47 PM
Look at it this way. If Ikard is out with a broken finger at least he can't blow out a knee.

swardboy
3/11/2013, 01:01 PM
I'm looking at it this way: 2nd stringer is getting a lot of reps, and that's a good thing come regular season if we need to call on him.

cvsooner
3/11/2013, 02:07 PM
Also, after next year Darlington will likely be THE center, so this isn't bad. Hey, it's practice, and the season is six months away. We know Ikard can play, and this isn't something that keeps him from working. If it had to be a bone-breaking injury, this is probably best case scenario.

8timechamps
3/11/2013, 04:21 PM
What caught my eye the most from the weekend was Chuka Ndule moving from DE to DT. Apparently, he'll be taking on a David King type role.

FirstandGoal
3/11/2013, 04:49 PM
Thanks for the info, 8TC!

Any word on how the kicking game is doing?

goingoneight
3/11/2013, 04:50 PM
Stoops said he's sliding over to DT for the Spring because he's their biggest and strongest DL that they can borrow for DT substitute reps. We have four guys coming in. Hopefully one or two or all of them can replenish depth at DT.

8timechamps
3/11/2013, 05:24 PM
Thanks for the info, 8TC!

Any word on how the kicking game is doing?

JUCO transfer Jed Barnett looked good over the weekend, and it sounds like he will be "the" punter to open the season. Jack Steed (a walk on) is challenging him though, so we'll see.

8timechamps
3/11/2013, 05:25 PM
Stoops said he's sliding over to DT for the Spring because he's their biggest and strongest DL that they can borrow for DT substitute reps. We have four guys coming in. Hopefully one or two or all of them can replenish depth at DT.

I knew there was a body issue, but apparently the move for Ndule is more than just temporary. He'll play both DE and DT.

I Am Right
3/11/2013, 06:42 PM
Blowing smoke, lets just wait until the fall before we proclaim ourselves national champions. Sorry guys, just been there done that. I will wait until December to decide if we can make it.

VA Sooner
3/11/2013, 08:00 PM
I knew there was a body issue, but apparently the move for Ndule is more than just temporary. He'll play both DE and DT.

Ndulue covering both positions... does sound like David King.

8timechamps
3/11/2013, 08:42 PM
Blowing smoke, lets just wait until the fall before we proclaim ourselves national champions. Sorry guys, just been there done that. I will wait until December to decide if we can make it.

What smoke are you referring to? I didn't see anything that was "blowing smoke", it was observations from the first spring practices. Unless someone proclaimed OU's greatness, and I missed it, I have no idea what you're referencing.

8timechamps
3/11/2013, 08:44 PM
Ndulue covering both positions... does sound like David King.

Ndule is kind of a hard player to project, as he is relatively new to football. At this point though, he's played enough to have experienced what's out there. I expect him to be a leader along the line this year.

VA Sooner
3/12/2013, 06:19 AM
Kid plays with an intensity... agree... expect him to be a leader out there along with Colvin. We'll see how the defense progresses as practice moves forward. May have to fly in for the Spring Game.

KantoSooner
3/12/2013, 08:30 AM
JUCO transfer Jed Barnett looked good over the weekend, and it sounds like he will be "the" punter to open the season. Jack Steed (a walk on) is challenging him though, so we'll see.

The Urban Dictionary was helpful:

"jed
a guy who is so vicious you cannot comprehend his viciousness. he kicks so much *** that he is an *** kickin machine and all the ladies come flockin to honey. jed is the master, the one ruler of all! he is the one man able to kick *** on a daily basis."

Well, now that we have THAT settled, we need only wait to see if he can kick a football.

stoops the eternal pimp
3/12/2013, 11:01 AM
Did someone say we was winning the NC in this thread?

bmjlr
3/12/2013, 11:17 AM

Not that I saw..."I am right" looks to be the one with smoke....in his eyes.

thecrimsoncrusader
3/12/2013, 12:11 PM

Well....I am!!! :)

swardboy
3/12/2013, 01:33 PM
And then we'll go to Europe and whip those other "football" sissies!!! For the champeenship of de world!!!!

Breadburner
3/12/2013, 04:22 PM
Some dick went full retard....!!!

ashley
3/20/2013, 07:23 AM
Got information yesterday from a source very close to the situation that the QB situation was a tie. Neither QB had seperated from the other.

Tulsa_Fireman
3/20/2013, 07:55 AM
Got more information from a great source VERY close to the program that tells me we'll definitely play eleven people on defense this year.

starclassic tama
3/20/2013, 07:59 AM
Got more information from a great source VERY close to the program that tells me we'll definitely play eleven people on defense this year.

whew. i was worried it was going to be like the past two years where we sometimes played 9

8timechamps
3/20/2013, 12:19 PM

I don't know, that sounds fishy. Maybe your source isn't as close as he has led you to believe. 11? On defense? No way!

Fraggle145
3/20/2013, 05:09 PM
I think he meant 11 DBs... *ducks*

MyT Oklahoma
3/24/2013, 09:54 PM
Hey 8time, where is our update?

SoonerKnight
3/26/2013, 06:50 PM
Crickets!

goingoneight
3/26/2013, 08:15 PM
There is next to nothing on soonersports.com this Spring.

goingoneight
3/26/2013, 08:20 PM
I was wondering where all the "sources" were hiding the last few months. Not like between National Signing Day, three assistant coaching changes and the start of spring ball that there was anything to be in the know about. But when it comes to who's who on the depth chart, the sources are all cranking back up.

SoonerKnight
3/26/2013, 08:56 PM
Not helpful!

SoonerMarkVA
3/27/2013, 08:02 AM
Have there been any organized scrimmages? I haven't seen *anything* about how the QBs are stacking up.

VA Sooner
3/27/2013, 05:30 PM
Buehler?

Buehler?

Buehler?

BoomerJ
3/27/2013, 05:47 PM
Have there been any organized scrimmages? I haven't seen *anything* about how the QBs are stacking up.

Heupel will say the same thing until late August. That there all playing at a high level. There making mistakes, but learning from their mistakes. Everything I've read or heard sounds like their even. You hear good things about Bester at WR and Cortez at CB, but no word on scrimmages.

Soonerntxs
3/27/2013, 06:03 PM
April 13, 2013...Its amazing how I can smell the pig skin as it cuts through the air and into the hands of a WR as he steps across the line of the north end zone.... ok, so I'm a bit excited!!!! :)

REDREX
3/27/2013, 06:44 PM
Last night Al said that Quincy Russell can go anywhere he wants because he did not enroll in January ----somehow the LOI is void

8timechamps
3/27/2013, 07:33 PM
Sorry guys, I've been ridiculously busy lately and haven't had a chance to get any info and/or post it. Also, the team was on spring break last week, so nothing to report for the entire week.

Practice started back up this past Monday, so I'll see what I can find out and post it asap.

Carry on.

REDREX
3/27/2013, 07:52 PM
Sorry guys, I've been ridiculously busy lately and haven't had a chance to get any info and/or post it. Also, the team was on spring break last week, so nothing to report for the entire week.

Practice started back up this past Monday, so I'll see what I can find out and post it asap.

Carry on.---try for some Quincy Russell info

SoonerMarkVA
3/27/2013, 07:59 PM
Heupel will say the same thing until late August. That there all playing at a high level. There making mistakes, but learning from their mistakes. Everything I've read or heard sounds like their even. You hear good things about Bester at WR and Cortez at CB, but no word on scrimmages.

Yeah, I know Heupel's shtick. Heh. I meant any sort of stats from scrimmage situations, who played 1v1, etc.

MyT Oklahoma
3/27/2013, 09:43 PM

Carry on.

Understood. Any updates when available are always appreciated.

BoomerJ
3/27/2013, 10:32 PM
I've always loved the after practice interviews and the practice videos as short as they were, but I don't care for this years 4 second video loop.

BoomerJ
3/27/2013, 10:32 PM
On SoonerSports.com, that is.

Mazeppa
3/28/2013, 08:55 PM
espn's got some readin stuff

http://espn.go.com/blog/big12/post/_/id/65453/oklahoma-spring-practice-observations

BoomerJ
3/29/2013, 10:41 AM
Hey, thanks for posting, Mazeppa.

8timechamps
3/29/2013, 01:32 PM
Here are a few nuggets:

Chuka Ndule's move to DT is permanent. Although he could jump back to DE if needed, he will be one of the DTs going forward.
Ahmad Thomas has turned heads in every practice. The true freshman (early enrollee) has brought some "swagger" from Miami (per Brennan Clay).
Redshirt freshman Taylor McNamara says the TEs will see "a whole lot" more plays on offense this year.
Redshirt freshman Alex Ross has been the best of all the backs in team sessions this spring.
Quincy Russell's LOI is in fact void. At this point, it still looks very likely that he will be a Sooner, but Shipp (and ASU) are doing what they can to flip his commit.
Kendal Thompson has closed the gap considerably between Bell/Knight and himself. Heupel said that "no QB has differentiated himself" at this point.
The LBs have looked rejuvenated so far. Mike Stoops says "they are the most athletic group in the conference".
Coach Montgomery has impressed the D-linemen (mostly because he played the position).
Coach Bedenbaugh is a 'down & dirty' coach. Apparently, he's been a lot more vocal than Pattenson, and the players said he's all about "being aggressive and nasty".

The only surprise is the Ndule news. Apparently, he is going to be around 280 by season's start. I really like that move, as he has always looked more like an inside guy to me. He did say something I thought was interesting, he said something about not having to worry about two gaps anymore. The comment was echoed by Geneo Grissom. So, it looks like there has been a change in the defensive scheme. Still no 3-4, but the base scheme is going to be different.

EatLeadCommie
3/29/2013, 01:44 PM
Thanks for the updated info. I was worried that the lack of posts/threads about spring practice was a result of increasing program-wide apathy, something I hadn't seen since the Blake days and something I hope to never see again.

swardboy
3/29/2013, 02:57 PM
Whoever wins the QB spot is going to be such a different beast than what Landry brought to the table athletically. Man I can't wait.

OUInformant
3/29/2013, 03:27 PM
The offense should be pretty good this year. We have decent depth at most positions, and, most importantly, our offensive line should be pretty good.

Our season will hinge on defense. While the secondary will probably be good, the jury is still out on the DL and at LB. I am a little worried by our overall talent level.

Widescreen
3/29/2013, 04:49 PM
The offense should be pretty good this year. We have decent depth at most positions, and, most importantly, our offensive line should be pretty good.

Our season will hinge on defense. While the secondary will probably be good, the jury is still out on the DL and at LB. I am a little worried by our overall talent level.
That sounds a lot like last season except hopefully the offense will be able to do something against decent defenses.

picasso
3/30/2013, 12:08 AM
According to Jim Traber, it's going to be a rough year for OU.

FirstandGoal
3/30/2013, 08:25 AM
Thanks 8TC for the great info as usual.

Yeah, I think this season is going to be interesting. I'm trying to keep my expectations a bit lower than previous seasons but it kills me to think that way.

Mjcpr
3/30/2013, 08:47 AM

I can see how that could happen.

Soonerjeepman
3/30/2013, 09:29 AM
we've already had two o-linemen go down, 1 for good. Guess I'm going to wait and see...I think it could be rough (3-4 losses) or not. Should be exciting.

cleller
3/30/2013, 09:41 AM

I can see how that could happen.

The guys on The Animal certainly don't paint a great picture for OU, or the Big 12. Their take is the drop-off in talent is a real factor, and one that will not be corrected quickly. Specifically on defense. Combine that with the way the SEC is attracting talent and coaches, and things look...challenging.

sooner KB
4/9/2013, 02:12 PM
So no report on last weekend's practice? I turned over to the Sports Animal for a few seconds yesterday and heard Eschbach saying that Kendal Thompson looked the best out of all 3 QB's.