PDA

View Full Version : Vietnam Vet Barred From Owning a Gun Because of a Teenage Misdemeanor 45 Years Ago

olevetonahill
3/9/2013, 11:08 AM
Wow, This is just Bizarre :frog:

http://www.theblaze.com/stories/2013/02/26/u-s-gun-laws-retroactively-barred-this-vietnam-vet-from-owning-a-firearm-because-of-a-teenage-misdemeanor-45-years-ago/

SanJoaquinSooner
3/9/2013, 11:13 AM
Sounds like the appropriate person should give the guy a pardon.

olevetonahill
3/9/2013, 11:15 AM

Sounds like a ****in Judge shoulda used common sense, Or the ATF said this is just ****in WRONG. I hope his attorney does take it to the SCOTUS .

SicEmBaylor
3/9/2013, 12:51 PM
The government is looking for every way and excuse possible to keep veterans from owning firearms. They evidently can't be trusted.

Please don't go on a rampage and kill us all, Vet. ;)

StoopTroup
3/9/2013, 02:49 PM
The government is looking for every way and excuse possible to keep Americans from owning firearms. They most definitely can't be trusted.

FIFY.

cleller
3/9/2013, 03:12 PM
He should just come to Oklahoma and buy one from an individual.

Wishboned
3/9/2013, 05:20 PM

He's too busy pardoning people who break the law when it comes to unregistered firearms.

http://www.mediaite.com/online/obama-pardons-man-convicted-on-unregistered-firearm-charges/

olevetonahill
3/9/2013, 05:28 PM
He's too busy pardoning people who break the law when it comes to unregistered firearms.

http://www.mediaite.com/online/obama-pardons-man-convicted-on-unregistered-firearm-charges/

Actually bro, I dont think The Pres. CAN pardon some one for a State crime that has to be done by the Gov. of that state. Obammy can only pardon Fed crimes If I read my lessons correctly

SanJoaquinSooner
3/9/2013, 05:33 PM
Actually bro, I dont think The Pres. CAN pardon some one for a State crime that has to be done by the Gov. of that state. Obammy can only pardon Fed crimes If I read my lessons correctly

Then the Maryland governor should be able to, right?
?

olevetonahill
3/9/2013, 05:35 PM
Then the Maryland governor should be able to, right?
?

Yes, It would have to come thru the Gov. I hope it goes to the SCOTUS tho to put an end to the Feds stupidity.
If i read this right if you have been convicted of any Misdemeanor crime involving a fight or even a and Loud argument you can be barred from owning a Gun.

Wishboned
3/9/2013, 05:40 PM
Yes, It would have to come thru the Gov. I hope it goes to the SCOTUS tho to put an end to the Feds stupidity.
If i read this right if you have been convicted of any Misdemeanor crime involving a fight or even a and Loud argument you can be barred from owning a Gun.

And if a bill gets passed in Florida (which I seriously doubt it does) you will have to go to anger management classes to buy ammo.

http://redalertpolitics.com/2013/03/08/new-florida-bill-requires-anger-management-classes-before-purchasing-gun-ammunition/

olevetonahill
3/9/2013, 05:47 PM
And if a bill gets passed in Florida (which I seriously doubt it does) you will have to go to anger management classes to buy ammo.

http://redalertpolitics.com/2013/03/08/new-florida-bill-requires-anger-management-classes-before-purchasing-gun-ammunition/

This Knee jerking is just gonna muddy the waters and keep a Valid and sensible way to stop violence from escalating to mass murder.

hell I read one of the Colorado bills wants to prevent a person from OWNING a fire arm if they Have been ACCUSED of domestic violence.
Boy what a way to give a Pissed off ex power over her ex.

SanJoaquinSooner
3/9/2013, 06:16 PM
not sure - may be it's that battery is considered a "violent crime" so the judge had no choice under current law. If that's the case, I don't know what constitutional basis the court would overturn the decision. And the supreme court has already said states can restrict gun purchases for conviction of certain crimes.

That's why I think a pardon might be preferable route.

olevetonahill
3/9/2013, 06:19 PM
not sure - may be it's that battery is considered a "violent crime" so the judge had no choice under current law. If that's the case, I don't know what constitutional basis the court would overturn the decision. And the supreme court has already said states can restrict gun purchases for conviction of certain crimes.

That's why I think a pardon might be preferable route.

Why I would like to see it go all the way bro
Its NOT the State stoppin him its the Feds

StoopTroup
3/10/2013, 06:29 PM
This Knee jerking is just gonna muddy the waters and keep a Valid and sensible way to stop violence from escalating to mass murder.

hell I read one of the Colorado bills wants to prevent a person from OWNING a fire arm if they Have been ACCUSED of domestic violence.
Boy what a way to give a Pissed off ex power over her ex.

As it is....if she gets a valid restraining order on him and she mentions he has some guns....He might as well find a Family Member or a really good friend to give them too.

StoopTroup
3/20/2013, 06:08 PM
At least the SF outrage has been expressed.