PDA

View Full Version : The Bible

Petro-Sooner
3/8/2013, 08:54 PM
Anyone watching this show on the history channel? Pretty good.

Blue
3/8/2013, 09:01 PM
Be prepared to get blasted by our oh so tolerant resident "enlightened".

kevpks
3/8/2013, 09:28 PM
I have it on DVR. No spoilers please. I hope Noah makes it.

Petro-Sooner
3/8/2013, 09:30 PM
Not sure how long it has been on but saw it while looking for shows to record. Plan on recording anything I've missed.

kevpks
3/8/2013, 10:04 PM
It looks good. Their show on the Vikings is good too.

StoopTroup
3/8/2013, 10:42 PM
It looks good. Their show on the Vikings is good too.

Saw either a Nat Geo or Discovery show that thought the deforestation of large trees in Europe was caused by the Vikings designs that used the largest trees to make all the huge ships keels with the largest trees. It's why they were so successful traveling. Also that they were responsible for most Scandinavian Countries becoming so great as Sea fairing Fishermen. Then it later led to the huge fleet the British and Spaniards were able to assemble. All of which led to the beginning of World Trade with India, China and Indonesia.

The guys in the show went looking for the largest tree they could find to try and make a small version of a Viking Longboat. It was really cool to watch them put it together with what would be considered ancient technology.

SanJoaquinSooner
3/8/2013, 11:06 PM
Hope they hired some good script writers.

Petro-Sooner
3/8/2013, 11:39 PM

I'm sure they do.

Blue
3/8/2013, 11:55 PM

You've never read the entire bible, so why comment? Couldn't help yourself?

cleller
3/9/2013, 10:10 AM
Our priest (actually my wife's priest, as I am the the closeted, never converted Baptist) was urging folks to watch that. I intended to see it, just to be a suck up.

This priest is a great guy, very smart, academic, and treats me like family. Probably because I change the light bulbs no one else wants to.

Anyway, I think some people tend to look at anything within the realm of religion as emotional blather, while ignoring the fact that the Bible has been source material for some of the world's strong intellects. Some people will study Jack Kerouac, Allen Ginsberg, James Joyce, then will dismiss The Bible as a waste of time.

olevetonahill
3/9/2013, 10:26 AM
The Movies never follow the Book .

StoopTroup
3/9/2013, 02:21 PM
I liked Mel Gibson's Passion of the Christ.

The Wife is looking forward to the History Channel's Tale.

Skysooner
3/9/2013, 04:10 PM

At one point you said I had never been a true Christian and now you make the assumption that SJS has never read the Bible.

Some of us are very knowledgeable about the Bible and have read it many times and have rejected it.

Turd_Ferguson
3/9/2013, 04:43 PM
At one point you said I had never been a true Christian and now you make the assumption that SJS has never read the Bible.

Some of us are very knowledgeable about the Bible and have read it many times and have rejected it.

I think you're too ****'n stupid to read...

Blue
3/9/2013, 05:24 PM

Just a hunch.

And I apologize if I offended you in another thread. It wasn't my intention. Its biblical to state that someone who isnt a Christian now, really never was. My intention was not to single you out.

SanJoaquinSooner
3/9/2013, 07:02 PM

Actually, it's irrelevant how much I've read. Books and film are two different art forms.

SanJoaquinSooner
3/10/2013, 01:11 AM
Well, it got off to a great start. Eve is smokin' hot! I would have eaten her fruit faster than you can say, "forbidden."

http://ia.media-imdb.com/images/M/MV5BMTA4Njc1MDcyMzZeQTJeQWpwZ15BbWU3MDQwNzY5MTk@._ V1._SX480_SY480_.jpg

http://ia.media-imdb.com/images/M/MV5BMjE5MTMzODgzMV5BMl5BanBnXkFtZTcwNzE3NjkxOQ@@._ V1._SX500_SY282_.jpg

olevetonahill
3/10/2013, 01:41 AM
Well, it got off the a great start. Eve is smokin' hot! I would have eaten her fruit faster than you can say, "forbidden."

http://ia.media-imdb.com/images/M/MV5BMTA4Njc1MDcyMzZeQTJeQWpwZ15BbWU3MDQwNzY5MTk@._ V1._SX480_SY480_.jpg

http://ia.media-imdb.com/images/M/MV5BMjE5MTMzODgzMV5BMl5BanBnXkFtZTcwNzE3NjkxOQ@@._ V1._SX500_SY282_.jpg

Adam Shoulda just said " Bitch I said a Sammich"

SanJoaquinSooner
3/10/2013, 02:13 AM
Adam Shoulda just said " Bitch I said a Sammich"

He was thinkin with his other head.

olevetonahill
3/10/2013, 02:17 AM
He was thinkin with his other head.

Thats been the Devil of us for eternity
That little Bastage

SanJoaquinSooner
3/10/2013, 10:55 AM
Spoiler Alert:

Well, shortly after Adam and Eve, they went to the stories involving Abraham and his posse. One thing that makes it difficult to watch is how all the characters talk to each other the same way space aliens talk in science fiction movies....in a deliberate, slow, monotone voice.

"Lot. Please. Don't. Go. Stay. With. Us."

Not a hint of animation or humor in anything they say. Maybe it would work better if the characters spoke in Hebrew with English Subtitles.

And they included the story of Sodom and Gomorrah, where Lot's wife looks back at the city after being told not to, and turned into a pillar of salt. I recalled as a youngster in Sunday School, thinking that was pretty damned brutal. Man, turned into a pillar of salt, just for looking!! I think that stayed with me through adolescence - and affected my conscience during initial discoveries of Playboy magazines.

olevetonahill
3/10/2013, 11:04 AM
Spoiler Alert:

Well, shortly after Adam and Eve, they went to the stories involving Abraham and his posse. One thing that makes it difficult to watch is how all the characters talk to each other the same way space aliens talk in science fiction movies....in a deliberate, slow, monotone voice.

"Lot. Please. Don't. Go. Stay. With. Us."

Not a hint of animation or humor in anything they say. Maybe it would work better if the characters spoke in Hebrew with English Subtitles.

And they included the story of Sodom and Gomorrah, where Lot's wife looks back at the city after being told not to, and turned into a pillar of salt. I recalled as a youngster in Sunday School, thinking that was pretty damned brutal. Man, turned into a pillar of salt, just for looking!! I think that stayed with me through adolescence - and affected by conscience during initial discoveries of Playboy magazines.

Heh, I remember tellin My boys about that when they were little. My youngest just couldnt get over a Piller( he was thinkin Pillow)of Salt. He figured that be about the worst piller a person could try to sleep on.

Lots wife dint get turned into that, JUST for looking back. Its symbolic of Her Looking Longingly Back at that Life style and Total disobedience to God that got her cursed

SanJoaquinSooner
3/10/2013, 11:45 AM
Heh, I remember tellin My boys about that when they were little. My youngest just couldnt get over a Piller( he was thinkin Pillow)of Salt. He figured that be about the worst piller a person could try to sleep on.

Lots wife dint get turned into that, JUST for looking back. Its symbolic of Her Looking Longingly Back at that Life style and Total disobedience to God that got her cursed

Yes, understood. And I wasn't JUST looking at the Playboy magazines.

Still, that's pretty brutal. That God of the Old Testament was one bad dude.

SanJoaquinSooner
3/10/2013, 04:13 PM
The previews for this show include the story of Samson and Delilah. As a kid, I was awed by the grand production of the Ten Commandments, but the movie about Samson and Delilah was my favorite story. I remember fantasizing about being as strong as Samson. Talk about a superhero.

Victor Mature and Hedy Lamarr were great. She was the perfect, seductive woman for that role.

Back in the days of long hair on guys, did any of you defend your long hair using the Samson story, if your mom or dad demanded you get your hair cut? Or maybe going with the "Jesus wore long hair" defense...

olevetonahill
3/10/2013, 04:20 PM
I respected My folks enough to have never let my hair grow very long while they were alive, Ive since just let it grow.

Skysooner
3/10/2013, 06:55 PM
Just a hunch.

And I apologize if I offended you in another thread. It wasn't my intention. Its biblical to state that someone who isnt a Christian now, really never was. My intention was not to single you out.

That wasn't what I was taught growing up. Once saved, always saved, etc. No matter. Thanks for your apology.

SunnySooner
3/10/2013, 07:10 PM
Just a hunch.

That wasn't what I was taught growing up. Once saved, always saved, etc. No matter. Thanks for your apology.

You two actually are saying the same thing--if you "lose" your salvation...you never really "got it" in the first place, whereas if you have a true conversion, no power on Earth can take you away from God. Ain't it fun when we agree?

SanJoaquinSooner
3/10/2013, 08:34 PM

vet, I bet you had a full beard when you were 15, right?

StoopTroup
3/10/2013, 08:39 PM
http://i177.photobucket.com/albums/w240/smacklt/BabyBeard.jpg

stoopified
3/11/2013, 11:55 AM
Thats been the Devil of us for eternity
That little BastageTrue dat.Every man is ruled by money or pu$$y and women have half the world's money and all the pu$$y.