View Full Version : Beale Street in Memphis BBQ

MO_Sooner
3/8/2013, 08:19 AM
Headed to Memphis this weekend for my birthday (which was
back in January but couldn't get away until now). I've always
wanted to go to Memphis and eat BBQ for a whole weekend and
that's what we're doing. We're eating at the Germantown
Commissary for lunch Saturday. We've ate there before and loved
it. We're eating at Central BBQ Sunday for lunch before we leave.
Saw it was voted the best so we wanted to try it.

We're going to be on Beale St. for dinner Saturday night and wanted to know if anyone had some tips on which place has the best BBQ on Beale St. Thanks in advance for the tips!

picasso
3/8/2013, 08:47 AM
Never been but my wife loves the place and I have a friend I grew up with who lives there. Perhaps I can get some info from her on facebook.

putastar2000
3/8/2013, 09:52 AM

We're going to be on Beale St. for dinner Saturday night and wanted to know if anyone had some tips on which place has the best BBQ on Beale St. Thanks in advance for the tips!

Rendezvous
52 S 2nd Street
http://www.hogsfly.com/Menu.php

excellent dry rub ribs

Turd_Ferguson
3/8/2013, 09:54 AM
Rendezvous
52 S 2nd Street
http://www.hogsfly.com/Menu.php

excellent dry rub ribs

This...and if you go in the evening...go heavy.

Turd_Ferguson
3/8/2013, 10:01 AM
If you ever get a chance to do Memphis in May...I highly recommend it.

olevetonahill
3/8/2013, 10:06 AM
Been years since I hung out on Beale. From what I remember Its ALL good.

8timechamps
3/8/2013, 02:12 PM

Damn, that sounds like a mighty fine birthday weekend!

StoopTroup
3/8/2013, 04:06 PM
Damn, that sounds like a mighty fine birthday weekend!

Damn Straight.

I have a good friend that went there on Vacation for two weeks and his goal was to eat at as many BBQ places he could. He's been to every place in Oklahoma I've ever heard of and he gave the Wife and I a really great recipe for a rub his Dad had won quite a few trophies with. We fix us a brisket every couple of months since he gave us his Dad's fantastic way to cook one of the best darn briskets I've ever had. He later had trouble with the Gluten Deal and he found a way to do it without the stuff that made him ill. He has BBQ on the brain baby and although he enjoyed his trip to Memphis....he still thinks we do BBQ down here pretty darn well.

Still...I like Memphis and it has some of the best Fried Chicken Places I've ever eaten at.

I'm thinking I might need to go back soon. :D Enjoy yourself MO.

KantoSooner
3/8/2013, 04:06 PM
It's not on Beale, but Corky's on Poplar in near East Memphis has some decent bbq. Get there early, though, there's a line.

GDC
3/8/2013, 08:34 PM
I always stop at Interstate BBQ on the way down to Tunica.

Turd_Ferguson
3/8/2013, 10:43 PM
It's not on Beale, but Corky's on Poplar in near East Memphis has some decent bbq. Get there early, though, there's a line.

Corky's are all over Memphis...They have really good chopped brisket sammiches. I always ordered them without pickle just so I could hear the guy speak over the microphone and say "two chopped sammiches, hold the pRickle"...

MO_Sooner
3/12/2013, 07:09 AM
Had an awesome weekend. Germantown Commissary BBQ was good, as expected. We chose Charlie Vergos Rendezvous after suggestions from here and other friends. It's a different type of BBQ. Good food. Better atmosphere. Our final spot and voted our favorite (by our group of 4) was Central BBQ. Ribs and pulled pork were awesome!! Service was great! Gave us a free bag of their homemade BBQ potato chips when they found out we were from out of town. Great weekend trip! Now time to hit the treadmill.

Turd_Ferguson
3/12/2013, 07:38 AM
Had an awesome weekend. Germantown Commissary BBQ was good, as expected. We chose Charlie Vergos Rendezvous after suggestions from here and other friends. It's the real Memphis style BBQ, not that KC **** with sauce slopped all over it. Good food. Better atmosphere. Our final spot and voted our favorite (by our group of 4) was Central BBQ. Ribs and pulled pork were awesome!! Service was great! Gave us a free bag of their homemade BBQ potato chips when they found out we were from out of town. Great weekend trip! Now time to hit the treadmill.

fixed

Glad you had a good time.

MO_Sooner
3/12/2013, 08:57 AM
I didn't say it wasn't Memphis style. The other two places didn't put sauce on
their ribs unless we asked for it. Rendezvous rub was just different than the others
and a lot more vinager used when basting them. Central and Germantown were
just more similiar in the types of rubs they used than Rendezvous. All three were very good.

RiddlerOK
3/14/2013, 12:12 AM
I went to Memphis a few times, a few years back and must say that I was disappointed with Rendezvous, on Beale St. Maybe they had a bad day...who knows? Anyway, their ribs were dry and the dinner was nothing to sneeze at. The place reminded me of a tourist trap. I tried Corky's and thought they were a little like Red Hot and Blue....a chain restaurant with good, but not great barbeque. Now, Neely's Interstate was a different story. This place had true down-home good BBQ. I went to the one on the east side of town and loved it.

hawaii 5-0
3/14/2013, 12:46 AM
I'll stay with the Rendevous voters.

Delicious but remember it's a dry rub, not slathered in BBQ sauce.

5-0

Mazeppa
3/16/2013, 11:39 PM
I went to Memphis a few times, a few years back and must say that I was disappointed with Rendezvous, on Beale St. Maybe they had a bad day...who knows? Anyway, their ribs were dry and the dinner was nothing to sneeze at. The place reminded me of a tourist trap. I tried Corky's and thought they were a little like Red Hot and Blue....a chain restaurant with good, but not great barbeque. Now, Neely's Interstate was a different story. This place had true down-home good BBQ. I went to the one on the east side of town and loved it.

Rendezvous is not on Beale street, maybe you were somewhere else. Corky's Interstate and Rendezvous are all good eats, been to Memphis probably 15 times in the last 8 years and will be going back in about seven weeks. Can't wait to get me some of that bbq and also a hamburger from Dyers, might even try Jerry Lee Lewis' cafe and honky tonk on Beale. which will open May 1st.

C&CDean
3/17/2013, 06:14 PM
Memphis is good for music. Barbecue? OK. I make better ribs/brisket/pulled pork/sausages at the house. I'd never go there for food.

GDC
3/17/2013, 08:22 PM
Go see the duck parade at the Madison Hotel.

olevetonahill
3/17/2013, 08:31 PM
Go see the duck parade at the Madison Hotel.

They at the Peabody bro
http://www.peabodymemphis.com/peabody-ducks/

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gnidqjnnjVs

GDC
3/18/2013, 11:59 AM
oops

olevetonahill
3/18/2013, 12:54 PM
oops

:emmersed:

Turd_Ferguson
3/18/2013, 03:19 PM
I was at a party on top of the Peabody one night. A bunch of us were standing at the rail of the roof edge and some stupid bastard deliberately drops a wine glass that landed right beside a horse hitched to a carriage. It took about 40 seconds for security to get up there and they whooped that boy's *** like I ain't never seen before...true story.

olevetonahill
3/18/2013, 04:27 PM
I was at a party on top of the Peabody one night. A bunch of us were standing at the rail of the roof edge and some stupid bastard deliberately drops a wine glass that landed right beside a horse hitched to a carriage. It took about 40 seconds for security to get up there and they whooped that boy's *** like I ain't never seen before...true story.

Glad to see ya all healed up from it.

KantoSooner
3/18/2013, 05:02 PM
A good azz whupping by a group of security/bouncer types on a deserving perp is an instructive thing to watch. It almost always devolves into said perp on the ground and the cricle of security types taking turns kicking the crap out of him. Makes almost any party a lot more polite thereafter.

Turd_Ferguson
3/18/2013, 05:49 PM
Glad to see ya all healed up from it.

Wasn't me. I may be dumb, but I ain't ignernt...

olevetonahill
3/18/2013, 06:07 PM
Wasn't me. I may be dumb, but I ain't ignernt...

So yer sayin ya healed up and Got smarter . Good jorb. :congratulatory: