PDA

View Full Version : CLOTURE

StoopTroup
3/7/2013, 08:45 PM
Is this really one of the biggest problems in Congress?

The 111th Congress did it 137 times and the 112th did it 115 times.

Putting a quick end to discussions seems like avoidance. It seems like a way to avoid negotiations. Now we can quickly blame say...Harry Reid for instance but everyone in Congress that hasn't done something to put an end to the use of cloture would seem just as much at fault IMHO.

These guys need to figure out a way to work together for the good of all Americans. Even though Rand Paul's filibuster was pretty weak, he stayed on topic for the most part and the only folks upset with him are the ones who more than likely prefer Cloture. At least the red flags popping up over Rand's filibuster seems to shine a light towards it being the case.

FaninAma
3/7/2013, 09:20 PM
The less Congress gets done the better it is for the country.

SicEmBaylor
3/7/2013, 10:13 PM
I saw the thread title and the person who started the thread and just had to read it to see if ST actually knew and understood what cloture is.

Cloture is necessary, but as Fanin said, the less the government accomplishes the better.

soonercruiser
3/7/2013, 10:33 PM
"Cloture Device"?
(What the Klingons use to disappear from sight.)
Too bad Congress and the President can't use it.

SicEmBaylor
3/7/2013, 11:45 PM
"Cloture Device"?
(What the Klingons use to disappear from sight.)
Too bad Congress and the President can't use it.
Wrong. Keeping them in sight is preferable.

cleller
3/8/2013, 08:47 AM
I thought cloture had something to do with women's underwear.

Soonerjeepman
3/8/2013, 08:53 AM
I thought cloture had something to do with women's underwear.

I thought it had to do with a woman's vagi-gi... ;-)

StoopTroup
3/8/2013, 03:00 PM
I saw the thread title and the person who started the thread and just had to read it to see if ST actually knew and understood what cloture is.

Cloture is necessary, but as Fanin said, the less the government accomplishes the better.

So Cloture = less Government ?

I know you like to try to prove you know more than other people but in this case I think your personal problem with me has again gotten in the way of you using good sense.

Now...I wasn't saying to get rid of Cloture but I was really wondering if it was being misused? By misused...I mean on either side...Pub, Dem or Ind.

Never did I say it wasn't necessary. What I'm getting at is it becoming a tool to avoid doing their job? Is avoiding Discussion a good thing?

IMO we the people can get a much better idea of how effective the politicians we elect are doing and really if they are accomplishing the job of less Government.

Backroom Deals sure aren't informing us of much.

When you look at it being used 22 more times in the 112th vs the 111th....are we really headed towards less Government using these tactics?