PDA

View Full Version : Anybody Have Information About Keller or Flower Mound, Tx?

FaninAma
3/7/2013, 12:23 PM
I am considering an opportunity with Cook's Children's Health Care System and if I accept we have narrowed down the areas we would like to live to Keller or Flower Mound. Proximity to work was a factor but so is the quality of schools, housing and activities. Any help would be appreciated.

StoopTroup
3/7/2013, 12:37 PM
I like Lewisville.

ouleaf
3/7/2013, 01:45 PM
Which Cooks location would you be at?

I grew up, went to HS, in Flower Mound so can speak to that moreso than Keller. Flower Mound is a very nice, middle-class suburb. Schools there feed into the Lewisville ISD which is a pretty good public school system. I went to Marcus High School, which covers north and east sides as well as Highland Village, but there is also Flower Mound High School which covers the southern and western parts of the town.

It's mostly single family homes probably in a range of the low $200's - 400's but there are some more exclusive areas with home values over a million, that does tend to drive everyone's property tax bill a bit higher.

Relatively low crime, convenient access to entire DFW metroplex and the airport, but if you are going to work during drive time, just be prepared that all of DFW is under construction at the moment and so that will add to commute time.

Keller also going through a population increase and growth stage right now, but from what i hear its nice. Far North Fortworth, up by the speedway. Schools should be comparable, home prices about the same too.

picasso
3/7/2013, 03:43 PM
My buddy lives in Lantana. Also known as Pleasantville.

badger
3/7/2013, 03:54 PM
You can get a McMansion in Flower Mound for $16 oh wait no you can't (http://abcnews.go.com/Business/notorious-texas-man-16-mcmansion-finally-kicked-judge/story?id=15523138) :)

lexsooner
3/7/2013, 08:05 PM
Grapevine and Colleyville are nice too and have great schools, but of course housing is expensive.

Soonerjeepman
3/7/2013, 08:45 PM
My cousin lives in Flower Mound...I think..lol, close to Dallas right? North side?

He likes it~ OU grad, was a manager for the fball team, has 2 physical therapy locations.

diverdog
3/7/2013, 09:50 PM

I grew up, went to HS, in Flower Mound so can speak to that moreso than Keller. Flower Mound is a very nice, middle-class suburb. Schools there feed into the Lewisville ISD which is a pretty good public school system. I went to Marcus High School, which covers north and east sides as well as Highland Village, but there is also Flower Mound High School which covers the southern and western parts of the town.

It's mostly single family homes probably in a range of the low $200's - 400's but there are some more exclusive areas with home values over a million, that does tend to drive everyone's property tax bill a bit higher.

Relatively low crime, convenient access to entire DFW metroplex and the airport, but if you are going to work during drive time, just be prepared that all of DFW is under construction at the moment and so that will add to commute time.

Keller also going through a population increase and growth stage right now, but from what i hear its nice. Far North Fortworth, up by the speedway. Schools should be comparable, home prices about the same too.

My nieces went to Marcus. They said it was a very good school.

ouleaf
3/8/2013, 12:22 AM

Ah ha...A fellow Marauder (school mascot). It's a pretty big school. When I went there were probably about 3000 students. I think my graduating class was around 700-750.

colleyvillesooner
3/8/2013, 12:47 AM
What is this colleyville you speak of?

FaninAma
3/8/2013, 10:09 AM

Cook's is opening up several stand alone ERs as well as Urgent Cares. Rightnow I would be rotating between the Hurst and Southlake facilities. But in the future they will have clinics in Denton and near the Alliance area so a more centralized location would be nice. Keller is more centrally located but we like Flower Mound slightly better when we looked at houses.

FaninAma
3/8/2013, 10:10 AM

The school system is one of the major attractions of Flower Mound although Keller has decent schools, too.

texaspokieokie
3/8/2013, 10:26 AM
Flower Mound is very nice. Have a niece that lives there, on west side, near Lantana.
Her in-laws live on east side & have for about 49 years. Nice all around.

Howzit
3/8/2013, 12:26 PM
I lived in FloMo for 11 years. Very good schools, Jr went to FMHS, and the city is maintained well and kept clean. Housing is fairly comparable to Edmond in terms or $/Sq Ft, some areas are a little higher than others. Property tax is about 3 times OKC, but there is no state tax, as you know. It always seemed to be about a wash in terms of overall living cost.

They do tend to pack the houses in some newer editions and you'll get these nice big homes on tiny lots...that bothers some people and not so much others.

If you have questions about specific areas I'll be happy to share what I know.

FaninAma
3/8/2013, 02:45 PM
My buddy lives in Lantana. Also known as Pleasantville.

We looked at that area. All of the subdivisions are new and divided(segregated) according to price range. It had very little in the way of character or ambience.

FaninAma
3/8/2013, 02:47 PM
I lived in FloMo for 11 years. Very good schools, Jr went to FMHS, and the city is maintained well and kept clean. Housing is fairly comparable to Edmond in terms or $/Sq Ft, some areas are a little higher than others. Property tax is about 3 times OKC, but there is no state tax, as you know. It always seemed to be about a wash in terms of overall living cost.

They do tend to pack the houses in some newer editions and you'll get these nice big homes on tiny lots...that bothers some people and not so much others.

If you have questions about specific areas I'll be happy to share what I know.

That's one of the things we didn't like about Keller. They have new, 3500+ square foot homes on tiny lots.

Howzit
3/8/2013, 05:06 PM
There is a street called Aberdeen off of FM 2499 just south of FM 3040 that leads into an older sub-division (can't remember the name, but it's just south of Northshore), houses built in the 90's. The lots are a little bigger than the norm, and they do not all look the same like in some other areas. You might take a look in there.

If you are looking for half-acre lots, Flo mo isn't going to work for you.

diverdog
3/8/2013, 09:09 PM
That's one of the things we didn't like about Keller. They have new, 3500+ square foot homes on tiny lots.

My sister lived in a $600 K home near the lake and it was on a tiny lot. My nieces would talk to their friends in the house behind them from their bedroom window. Essentially two swimming pools were all that seperated the houses. They ended up moving to Ohio because they got tired of all the traffic. Their current home is on Lake Erie.

Lott's Bandana
3/9/2013, 09:38 AM
That area is a good choice if you are at the point in your life where you are raising kids and don't feel diversity and culture are important in their upbringing. In other words, pure education and safe neighborhoods trump worldliness.

Otherwise, there aren't many more "sterile" places you can find on this planet, outside of Utah. (or Frisco/Plano)

Breadburner
3/9/2013, 10:59 AM
Last time I was in Keller it was a dry county....So enough said......

texaspokieokie
3/11/2013, 02:44 PM
They don't go by counties.

jk the sooner fan
3/11/2013, 08:19 PM
i'd pick Flower Mound over Keller....easily

C&CDean
3/12/2013, 08:51 PM
You're still worried about schools? Bwahahahaha!!1!!

You're supposed to be loving on grand babies old man, not worrying about what junior high the boy is going to. Heh. Good luck on your search. Y'all always seem to find the right place for the right $$ every time.

StoopTroup
3/13/2013, 03:28 AM
When people ask "where ya all from?" and you say "Flower Mound".

I'd rather be able to say "Cut and Shoot Texas".

JMHO :D

http://www.texasescapes.com/FEATURES/Texas_town_names/naming_of_names.htm

BajaOklahoma
3/13/2013, 08:40 AM
You check with the school dstrict for their previous test scores or look them up here.
https://tx.pearsonaccess.com/tclp/portal/tclp.portal?_nfpb=true&_pageLabel=pa2_analytical_reporting_page

I'd recommend you do a couple of test drives from your potential homes to and from work. Just a 10-15 minute difference in time can make a huge difference in the length of your drive.

Say what you want about Plano being a cookie cutter city, but major colleges know where Plano is and the quality of student they will be getting. My daughter received application forms from the Seven Sisters - not that she wanted a liberal arts college. She was offered a lot of money to attend several top tier colleges before she even turned in the applications.
And Plano has two working farms in the central part of the city. Two blocks north of me are 1-10 acre lots, with horses. We have an animal rescue center that functions as part of the School District. Numerous parks, which are connected by trails for biking and walking. There is huge difference between the East and West sides of town. Not a perfect place, but better than most of the Metroplex.
City leaders from Edmond visited here numerous times to try to copy ideas.

FaninAma
3/13/2013, 10:34 AM
You're still worried about schools? Bwahahahaha!!1!!

You're supposed to be loving on grand babies old man, not worrying about what junior high the boy is going to. Heh. Good luck on your search. Y'all always seem to find the right place for the right $$ every time.

Thanks. Some of us are just late bloomers.