PDA

View Full Version : A Good Old Fashioned Filibuster

sappstuf
3/6/2013, 01:12 PM
Rand Paul is going to talk as long as it takes...

Sen. Rand Paul (R-Ky.) has launched a talking filibuster against the nomination of John Brennan to be director of the Central Intelligence Agency (CIA).

“I’m here to filibuster John Brennan’s nomination to be director of CIA,” Paul said on the Senate floor Wednesday. “I will speak for as long as it takes.

“I will speak today until the president says, ‘no’ he will not kill you at a café.”

Paul has said he wants more answers from the administration on whether American citizens can be targeted by armed drones inside the United States before he’ll lift his filibuster on Brennan’s nomination. …

“Has America the beautiful become ‘Alice in Wonderland’?” Paul said. “When I asked the president can you kill an American on American soil, it should have been an easy answer — an unequivocal no.

“But his answer was, ‘I haven’t killed anyone yet and I have no intention of killing Americans, but I might.'"

badger
3/6/2013, 01:18 PM
Sooo... has he started reading the Washington DC phone book yet? How is he filling the time?

sappstuf
3/6/2013, 01:21 PM
Sooo... has he started reading the Washington DC phone book yet? How is he filling the time?

Posse Comitatus Act..

Fraggle145
3/6/2013, 01:33 PM
What happens when the filibuster-er has to take a whiz?

badger
3/6/2013, 01:33 PM
Hey... a live stream! (http://www.c-span.org/Live-Video/C-SPAN2/)

SanJoaquinSooner
3/6/2013, 01:35 PM
I loved Mr Smith Goes to Washington.

sappstuf
3/6/2013, 01:38 PM
Rand wonders if Dems would have been ok with dropping bombs on hippies that were raising money for the Viet Cong.

olevetonahill
3/6/2013, 01:44 PM
Rand wonders if Dems would have been ok with dropping bombs on hippies that were raising money for the Viet Cong.

Can we send a Drone after hanoi jane ?

badger
3/6/2013, 01:49 PM
Since I've started listening to the live stream, he's talked about amendments 2, 4 and 5, declaring war or not and drones in general, where is the battlefield...

He is pretty much sticking on topic, which makes me think that while DC is buried in snow, he won't be able to go on for longer than, say four hours.

sappstuf
3/6/2013, 01:49 PM
Can we send a Drone after hanoi jane ?

According to the Dems on this board she would be a legit target.

badger
3/6/2013, 02:04 PM
OH NO HE JUST REACHED FOR A BIG RED BOOK

diverdog
3/6/2013, 02:07 PM
Rand Paul is going to talk as long as it takes...

Good lord.

badger
3/6/2013, 02:08 PM
I don't think he's actually reading from the book... I have no idea what the book is, but he flipped a few pages, then stopped.

Now he's talking about giving 60,000 (I might have heard wrong, I'm only half-listening) Iraqis political asylum and saying that its too much and asylum is for escaping brutal dictators, but we won the war blah blah blah... not sure what this has to do with Obama's drones

diverdog
3/6/2013, 02:09 PM
According to the Dems on this board she would be a legit target.

You are damn straight she was while in NV. When she got home she should have been tried and shot.

badger
3/6/2013, 02:18 PM
he's opened that book and i don't think he's looked at it once

EDIT: He's flipped pages without really looking at it

badger
3/6/2013, 02:28 PM
lol - c-span2 intends to re-air Rand Paul's speech at 2:01 p.m. (oklahoma time) today. Does that mean that he'll be done by then? :D

badger
3/6/2013, 02:46 PM
Listening to this is like listening to a long bland boring sermon... when he gets to spots that you think he's almost done you turn your brain on a bit... but when you realize he's going on to another section of the sermon, it goes off again. Click!

He pronounces "battlefield" weird. It is like "bad-uh-failed" or something. I hope he gets off that word soon...

badger
3/6/2013, 02:58 PM
SOMEONE ELSE IS TALKING!

does that mean the filibuster is over?

LakeRat
3/6/2013, 03:35 PM
he keeps saying that he isn't yeilding the floor. He is taking questions for more things to talk about. I loved the senator from utah explaining the definition of immeninent (sp?).

This is the first time I have ever watched cspan.

badger
3/6/2013, 03:45 PM
I am not really watching it, just listening to see how long this goes for.

The esteemed senators of Utah, Texas and Kansas are participating now in the filibuster by committee :D

olevetonahill
3/6/2013, 03:54 PM
So business as usual right?
A lot of hot ****in air being spewed around and Nothing worthwhile gettin done. Go Tit

badger
3/6/2013, 03:55 PM
Whoa... Oregon Democrat in on the filibuster by committee act now!

I dunno which senator from Oregon it is, but he has a bit of a lisp and he said he's gonna vote for the nominee... but hey, whatever keeps the filibuster going i guess...

edit: ron wyden

diverdog
3/6/2013, 04:03 PM
So business as usual right?
A lot of hot ****in air being spewed around and Nothing worthwhile gettin done. Go Tit

The Senate is completely disfunctional.

olevetonahill
3/6/2013, 04:07 PM
The Senate, The House, And the White house are completely disfunctional.

FTFY

badger
3/6/2013, 04:31 PM
i can't take anymore. these guys are snowed in so they'll be at this all night if they can tag team like this

reflector
3/6/2013, 04:50 PM
Did Reid walk out?

TheHumanAlphabet
3/6/2013, 05:04 PM
Go Rand!

diverdog
3/6/2013, 05:51 PM
Go Rand!

I don't think you guys know how bad this is. Wait til the shoe is on the other foot. You all will be screaming bloody murder.

okie52
3/6/2013, 05:55 PM
I don't think you guys mo how bad this is. Wait til the shoe is on the other foot. You all will be screaming bloody murder.

Well, the way the pundits are talking the pubs will never be back in the Oval office so I guess we should enjoy the moment.

diverdog
3/6/2013, 06:02 PM
Well, the way the pundits are talking the pubs will never be back in the Oval office so I guess we should enjoy the moment.

Everything goes in cycles my friend. I do not think having one party in control is a good idea.

soonercruiser
3/6/2013, 06:27 PM
I don't think you guys know how bad this is. Wait til the shoe is on the other foot. You all will be screaming bloody murder.

"Other foot"?

You mean like the Dems in charge if every branch and shoving their agenda down everyone's throats????
Yes! I am waiting for the shoe to be on the other feet!

soonercruiser
3/6/2013, 06:28 PM
OH NO HE JUST REACHED FOR A BIG RED BOOK

She prolly can't read the Red Book!

Is Rand still talking?
I fell asleep.

MR2-Sooner86
3/6/2013, 08:06 PM
Go Rand go!

StoopTroup
3/6/2013, 08:23 PM
Sharp Tie

StoopTroup
3/6/2013, 08:25 PM
Rand....the Drone was from Mars. They sent one here after we sent one there.

StoopTroup
3/6/2013, 08:25 PM
Rand: Drones can count Cows.

MR2-Sooner86
3/6/2013, 08:47 PM
Sharp Tie

It is isn't it? Really goes well with his suit.

StoopTroup
3/6/2013, 09:00 PM
Sen. Mike Lee (R) Utah: Not as sharp a tie but it looks like he spent some jack on that baby. Maybe it was passed down from Mitt's GOP Nominee Road Valet that he gave to charity after the Election?

MR2-Sooner86
3/6/2013, 09:06 PM
Sen. Mike Lee (R) Utah: Not as sharp a tie but it looks like he spent some jack on that baby. Maybe it was passed down from Mitt's GOP Nominee Road Valet that he gave to charity after the Election?

I'm split on his tie. At first I hated it but it's starting to grow on me. I think the lines stand out a little too much. Needs to blend better.

StoopTroup
3/6/2013, 09:15 PM
I wonder if he got it from Goodwill?

TitoMorelli
3/6/2013, 09:23 PM
What happens when the filibuster-er has to take a whiz?

Hey... a live stream! (http://www.c-span.org/Live-Video/C-SPAN2/)

Asked and answered. :)

soonercruiser
3/6/2013, 10:33 PM
"Live streaming"???
That would be gay circle-jerk!
:sour:

sappstuf
3/7/2013, 12:14 AM

Please. When the shoe is on the other foot the Repubs better pass a budget every year as required by law and not blow it off for 1500 days like the Dems have. A budget that cannot be filibustered and can pass with a simple majority vote I might add....

The dysfunction lies squarely with Harry and the Dems.

RUSH LIMBAUGH is my clone!
3/7/2013, 12:42 AM
Go Rand! Here's a good visual on it:
https://fbcdn-sphotos-h-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-prn1/c0.0.350.350/p403x403/72462_612347198779890_1761056464_n.jpg

diverdog
3/7/2013, 03:16 AM
Please. When the shoe is on the other foot the Repubs better pass a budget every year as required by law and not blow it off for 1500 days like the Dems have. A budget that cannot be filibustered and can pass with a simple majority vote I might add....

The dysfunction lies squarely with Harry and the Dems.

Lets seem them do it under the threat of a filibuster every time they bring a budget to the floor. That is exactly what Obama has faced from the Republicans.

sappstuf
3/7/2013, 04:51 AM
Lets seem them do it under the threat of a filibuster every time they bring a budget to the floor. That is exactly what Obama has faced from the Republicans.

There is no threat of a filibuster on budget resolutions.. You aren't listening.

Budgets operate under special rules in the Senate. They only require 51 votes to pass and there is a time limit on debate so you cannot do what Rand Paul did to a budget.

Jack Lew’s misleading claim about the Senate’s failure to pass a budget resolution (http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/fact-checker/post/jack-lews-misleading-claim-about-the-senates-failure-to-pass-a-budget-resolution/2012/02/12/gIQAs11z8Q_blog.html?wprss=fact-checker)

I will wait for you to amend your last post to reflect reality...

diverdog
3/7/2013, 07:17 AM
There is no threat of a filibuster on budget resolutions.. You aren't listening.

Budgets operate under special rules in the Senate. They only require 51 votes to pass and there is a time limit on debate so you cannot do what Rand Paul did to a budget.

I will wait for you to amend your last post to reflect reality...

tell me how is he suppose to deal with this?

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2010/12/01/senate-republican-filibuster_n_790303.html

sappstuf
3/7/2013, 08:16 AM
tell me how is he suppose to deal with this?

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2010/12/01/senate-republican-filibuster_n_790303.html

Did you even read the first paragraph?

The entire Republican Senate caucus has signed a letter to Majority Leader Harry Reid, informing him that they will filibuster any legislative measure that comes before the Senate prior to the body considering a budget or tax cut legislation.

All Harry had to do was bring a budget resolution up for vote. The Repubs were threatening a filibuster(legal) because Harry had no intention of passing a budget resolution(illegal)(and still hasn't)...

And you somehow find the Repubs to blame....

Fraggle145
3/7/2013, 09:37 AM
We just raised taxes didnt we? Why are we cutting them again? Hell in a round about way both sides got what they wanted. Some spending cuts (the sequester) and a tax increase. Doesnt everyone on here always say we need both. Even though the increase and the cuts were really too small to actually be meaningful either way.

FaninAma
3/7/2013, 09:48 AM
Diver, aren't you the least bit curious to see what the Prez and the democrats are going to do to address the budget deficit? Wouldn't it be nice to see some details of their plans in an official budget resolution? Why aren't they willing to do this? I think we all know why....they do not want to cut spending in the slightest.

SoonerProphet
3/7/2013, 10:29 AM
Senator Rand Paul is taking the kind of gutsy move that is almost never seen in today's GOP, which has routinely elevated militarism above common sense. His decision to filibuster John Brennan's nomination to head the CIA is right-on. Brennan is a slippery character who has oiled his way up both the George W. Bush and Obama administrations. His answers about his knowledge of CIA torture during the Bush administration were evasive and unconvincing and his nomination should never be approved. Now Paul is calling him out on the administration's secret drone war policy in particular and its contempt for civil liberties in general.

http://nationalinterest.org/blog/jacob-heilbrunn/rand-paul-right-filibuster-john-brennan-8189

badger
3/7/2013, 11:54 AM
12 hours and 52 minutes (http://www.usatoday.com/story/news/politics/2013/03/07/rand-paul-filibuster-longest-senate-thurmond/1970291/)

Next time, wear an adult diaper if you're worried about a bathroom break :)

LakeRat
3/7/2013, 12:09 PM
So has the President said he won't kill Americans on American soil yet?

StoopTroup
3/7/2013, 12:20 PM
12 hours and 52 minutes (http://www.usatoday.com/story/news/politics/2013/03/07/rand-paul-filibuster-longest-senate-thurmond/1970291/)

Next time, wear an adult diaper if you're worried about a bathroom break :)

Dana Bash just interviewed Rand and evidently the worst of it was that he didn't bring extra socks and some comfortable shoes. Something to consider if you are going to filibuster in the future.

Harry Beanbag
3/7/2013, 08:31 PM
Heard Paul interviewed today, he said Strom Thurmond filibustered for 24 hours in 1956 or so, but he had a catheter installed beforehand. That is commitment.