PDA

View Full Version : Remember the Alamo

SicEmBaylor
3/6/2013, 11:15 AM
"Let the old men tell the story -- let the legend grow and grow of the 13 days of glory at the Siege of Alamo. Lift the tattered banners proudly while the eyes of TEXAS shine, let the fort that was a mission be an everlasting shrine. Once they fought to give us freedom -- that is all we need to know of the 13 days of glory at the Siege of Alamo."

Always remember. This day, 177 years ago.

http://storiesofusa.com/images/battle-alamo-1836.jpg

Turd_Ferguson
3/6/2013, 12:00 PM
How did the messicans get across the river walk back in those days?

KantoSooner
3/6/2013, 12:11 PM
I prefer to remember the battle of San Jacinto; happier ending.

olevetonahill
3/6/2013, 12:11 PM

They swam that sombitch , How ya think?

SicEmBaylor
3/6/2013, 12:13 PM
They swam that sombitch , How ya think?

Everyone knows Mexicans and black people can't swim. They must have gone around it. :D

olevetonahill
3/6/2013, 12:17 PM
Everyone knows Mexicans and black people can't swim. They must have gone around it. :D

But they do float tho.
https://encrypted-tbn1.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQDSO7FWwkReuNpBW0VybH1_purWvP9N 3QfD_lXmb794swv2S6o

Turd_Ferguson
3/6/2013, 12:21 PM
Why were there only 5000 mexicans at the Alamo?...Because they only had 4 mini vans and 1 pickup.

olevetonahill
3/6/2013, 12:25 PM
Why were there only 5000 mexicans at the Alamo?...Because they only had 4 mini vans and 1 pickup.

Heh, Id spek ya if I could.

SoonerInFortSmith
3/6/2013, 12:45 PM
Anybody know why Mexico doesn't have an Olympic swim team? Because all their good swimmers are already here.

Jacie
3/6/2013, 02:47 PM
"Let the old men tell the story -- let the legend grow and grow of the 13 days of glory at the Siege of Alamo. Lift the tattered banners proudly while the eyes of TEXAS shine, let the fort that was a mission be an everlasting shrine. Once they fought to give us freedom -- that is all we need to know of the 13 days of glory at the Siege of Alamo."

Always remember. This day, 177 years ago.

http://storiesofusa.com/images/battle-alamo-1836.jpg

You almost have to feel sorry for the Mexicans, not the officers but those poor dumb bastards who had to lie on the ground all night long waiting for the order to charge. Their uniforms were not made to keep them warm and it was a chilly night. Then at dawn they had to cross several hundred yards of open ground under constant and accurate fire to assault a fortified position while carrying a crappy musket that had only half the range of the guns pointed back at them. They were well motivated. Their own cavalry would ride them down and impale them with those 10-foot long lances the riders carried if they failed to obey the order to charge.

Hell, it's no wonder they lost at San Jacinto.

ouwasp
3/6/2013, 09:10 PM
Don't forget about the massacre at Goliad.... and the famous quote from San Jacinto: Remember The Alamo!

picasso
3/6/2013, 09:19 PM
Adobe Walls is the battle I'll remember.

Whitey.

Turd_Ferguson
3/6/2013, 10:03 PM

Whitey.

Need some blankets?

picasso
3/7/2013, 12:40 AM
Need some blankets?

No, just some high powered rifles!

SicEmBaylor
3/7/2013, 12:47 AM
No, just some high powered rifles!
I rarely side with the injun folk, but I give you props for killing Union troops. Well done, sir.

KantoSooner
3/7/2013, 09:44 AM
One fun note is the healthy percentage of Irishmen on both sides. These were fresh immigrants, still in the process of acculturating to their new countries. So, Irishman slaughtered Irishman on behalf of Americans operating a falseflag operation to seize land from Mexicans...who had fleshed out their army on the backs of Irishmen.
Reality is so much more fun than fiction.

SanJoaquinSooner
3/7/2013, 10:48 AM
I forgot all about that.

TitoMorelli
3/7/2013, 11:23 AM

Whitey.

Got me curious, and I found this on Wiki concerning the second battle:

The hunters suffered four fatalities: two brothers asleep in a wagon failed to survive the initial onslaught, Billy Tyler was shot through the lungs as he paused in the doorway of a building to take a shot, and Mrs. Bill Olds accidentally shot her husband in the head as she handed a reloaded rifle up to him (the bullet entering under his chin and exiting out the top of his head).

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Second_Battle_of_Adobe_Walls

BigTip
3/7/2013, 12:38 PM
??
http://static.travelmuse.com/docs/artwork/san-antonio/san-antonio-riverwalk-boat-full.jpg

picasso
3/8/2013, 08:50 PM
I rarely side with the injun folk, but I give you props for killing Union troops. Well done, sir.

Well, it depends on which injun folk you are adressin'. The Osage, Pawnee and such sided with the Union and helped them scout out the Rebel scum. Jus sayin'.

picasso
3/9/2013, 12:41 AM
Got me curious, and I found this on Wiki concerning the second battle:

The hunters suffered four fatalities: two brothers asleep in a wagon failed to survive the initial onslaught, Billy Tyler was shot through the lungs as he paused in the doorway of a building to take a shot, and Mrs. Bill Olds accidentally shot her husband in the head as she handed a reloaded rifle up to him (the bullet entering under his chin and exiting out the top of his head).

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Second_Battle_of_Adobe_Walls
Spek, Tito. Texas was Comanche country before it was anything else. And those folks ruled a wide wide swath.

Flagstaffsooner
3/9/2013, 12:51 AM
To hell with all texans.

SicEmBaylor
3/9/2013, 01:56 AM
I'll be the first to admit that Texans have something of an ego; however, that ego is born of the fact that they had to fight, conquer, and die for every square inch of that state. They fought hard for the right of Texas to choose its own fate twice...during the Texas Revolution and later during the War of Northern Aggression.

I admire them for shedding so much blood for a patch of ground they love like no other citizens of any other state. They take enormous pride in what they've built and continue to work hard every day to improve it. The only thing that can hold Texas back is Texas (which it won't) and Mexicans (which it probably will).

picasso
3/9/2013, 09:57 AM
Can't argue with that Siuc'em. I've always liked Texans because they fully support the arts. But if one knows a little history of the area they would realize that it took an elite, odd form of warfare and help to conquer and control the Comanches. They kicked Texans all over their supposed God given land.

Jacie
3/9/2013, 01:48 PM
Can't argue with that Siuc'em. I've always liked Texans because they fully support the arts. But if one knows a little history of the area they would realize that it took an elite, odd form of warfare and help to conquer and control the Comanches. They kicked Texans all over their supposed God given land.

You mean genocide? Yes, following them back to where they lived then killing everyone of them including their horses they could find helped to conquer and control the Comanche.

StoopTroup
3/9/2013, 02:16 PM
Respect to the Comancheros. They fought to the death for their way of life. They didn't puss out and send the women and children to safety so they could make sure that their Alamo would become a Tourist Attraction with a Ripley's Believe it or not across the street. :wink:

Tuck Fexas!

Eielson
3/9/2013, 11:02 PM
I'll be the first to admit that Texans have something of an ego; however, that ego is born of the fact that they had to fight, conquer, and die for every square inch of that state

Every square inch? My history is a little rusty, but I'm pretty sure the United States fought for a lot of present-day Texas in the Mexican War. The part of Texas that Texans fought for and "won," would have been quickly lost if not for Mexico's political chaos and the United States' military support. I feel that this strongly supports the idea that Texas is nothing without the United States (or more literally, part of Mexico).

Also, the fact that "remember the Alamo" has become a statement of pride is downright comical to me. That was simply a reminder not to surrender, because the Mexicans would slaughter every last one just like they did at the Alamo (and Goliad). It's incredible how brainwashed Texans are about themselves.

texaspokieokie
3/10/2013, 11:09 AM
I don't think any of the folks that fought for tx are still around. Only the arrogance.

Forget the alamo, mexicans are slowly (not very) but surely (very) retaking tx.

The Remnant
3/10/2013, 04:13 PM
If not for the Texas Rangers the Mexican War might have ended somewhat differently. "Old Fuss and Feathers" was having a difficult time keeping his supply lines open between Mexico City and Veracruz ( See Jack Hays).

The Remnant
3/10/2013, 04:44 PM
Also, throwing out words like 'genocide' does a disservice to history and distorts what actually happened. There was cruelty on all sides, none more so than the Comanche. Hell, the Mexican government couldn't even get Mexicans to live in Texas. It was that dangerous.

Jacie
3/10/2013, 07:48 PM
The Comanche were ruthless. Keep in mind, raiding the camps of non-Comanche to take horses, children, women was their way of life and had been for 300 years. The only thing that changed, from their perspective, was that the pickins got real good when the whites showed up just before those same whites embarked on a war of extermination to be rid of the ones that cholera had not already taken.

The Remnant
3/10/2013, 08:23 PM
Good point. In fact the case could be made that the Comanche raids in southwest Texas destabilized the whole region and made the wresting of Texas from Mexico by the Anglo settlers much easier.

XingTheRubicon
3/11/2013, 12:17 PM
None of the Alamo's heroes were texans. Tennesseans and Alabamans, etc...but not texans.

reflector
3/11/2013, 12:53 PM
Where's the basement?

Breadburner
3/11/2013, 01:11 PM
Did Ozzy **** on "The Alamo"...???

sooneron
3/11/2013, 02:32 PM
I'll be the first to admit that Texans have something of an ego; however, that ego is born of the fact that they had to fight, conquer, and die for every square inch of that state. They fought hard for the right of Texas to choose its own fate twice...during the Texas Revolution and later during the War of Northern Aggression.

I admire them for shedding so much blood for a patch of ground they love like no other citizens of any other state. They take enormous pride in what they've built and continue to work hard every day to improve it. The only thing that can hold Texas back is Texas (which it won't) and Mexicans (which it probably will).
No they didn't. Their ancestors a long *** time ago did. Their ego is derived from thinking it was yesterday and they had something to do with it. Most of them don't even have ties to back then. They're all transplants. I have more ties to Texas being settled than about 90% of the people living in Texas. My Family founded H town. Two guys who were, NY'ers.
http://www.houstonculture.org/resources/houstontime.html

Yes they got their state by fighting and it wasn't some field of honor as you like think or romanticize. Winning a war usually boils down to who got the dirtiest or was the most ruthless.

XingTheRubicon
3/11/2013, 03:20 PM
No they didn't. Their ancestors a long *** time ago did. Their ego is derived from thinking it was yesterday and they had something to do with it. Most of them don't even have ties to back then. They're all transplants. I have more ties to Texas being settled than about 90% of the people living in Texas. My Family founded H town. Two guys who were, NY'ers.
http://www.houstonculture.org/resources/houstontime.html

Yes they got their state by fighting and it wasn't some field of honor as you like think or romanticize. Winning a war usually boils down to who got the dirtiest or was the most ruthless.

The Mexicans won in the end anyway.

olevetonahill
3/11/2013, 03:28 PM
The Mexicans won in the end anyway.

Mack musta been coachin the texans

sooneron
3/11/2013, 10:47 PM
Post du jour!

SanJoaquinSooner
3/11/2013, 11:56 PM
Mack musta been coachin the texans

Shouldn't there be a waiver to the "can't spek twice" rule for Mack smack?

SoonerStormchaser
3/12/2013, 12:37 AM
http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/51MziLF9GtL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

Taxman71
3/12/2013, 07:01 AM
So Texas basically invented the "moral victory"?

KantoSooner
3/12/2013, 08:45 AM
Sam Houston should have gone with the Cherokee army and ultimately ruled over a Native American nation. That, with an irredenitist movement in what is now Eastern Oklahoma, could have been a viable country.
Add Comanche and Yoruba to the basic ScotsIrishGermanCherokee mix and you'd have the genetic stock for excellent armies and football teams.
And they'd be born knowing how to make fine whisky.

Midtowner
3/12/2013, 09:00 AM
Yoruba? IMHO, they make better basketball players than football, but maybe mixed with a ScotIrishGermanCherokee, who knows?

olevetonahill
3/12/2013, 09:19 AM
Sam Houston should have gone with the Cherokee army and ultimately ruled over a Native American nation. That, with an irredenitist movement in what is now Eastern Oklahoma, could have been a viable country.
Add Comanche and Yoruba to the basic ScotsIrishGermanCherokee mix and you'd have the genetic stock for excellent armies and football teams.
And they'd be born knowing how to make fine whisky.

Who knew thats what i are. :congratulatory:

The Remnant
3/12/2013, 12:55 PM
Sam Houston's role in the battle of San Jacinto is way overblown.

KantoSooner
3/12/2013, 03:36 PM
Yoruba? IMHO, they make better basketball players than football, but maybe mixed with a ScotIrishGermanCherokee, who knows?

I should have gathered the Ashanti into the group by claiming the Bantu peoples of West Africa. Still, Nigeria, homeland of the Yoruba, was the source for a majority of the slaves moved to the US and thus should be the roots of many, if not most black Americans today.

hawaii 5-0
3/12/2013, 04:02 PM
The Texicans in the Alamo woulda won if the wind had been blowing the other direction....... if they had just a little more time.....etc.

5-0