PDA

View Full Version : Good news on the energy front

diverdog
3/5/2013, 10:45 PM
Editor's note: David Frum, a CNN contributor, is a contributing editor at Newsweek and The Daily Beast. He is the author of eight books, including a new novel, "Patriots," and a post-election e-book, "Why Romney Lost." Frum was a special assistant to President George W. Bush from 2001 to 2002.
Washington (CNN) -- Remember "peak oil"?
Five years ago, some oil market speculators became convinced that the world was nearing the limits of oil production. Sometime soon -- the 2010s? the 2020s? -- oil production would begin a long steady decline.
Think again. World oil production continues to rise. Leading the oil renaissance: the United States. The International Energy Agency predicts that the United States will overtake Saudi Arabia and Russia to become (again!) the world's leading oil producer by 2017. If the agency's estimates prove correct, the United States and Canada together will become net energy exporters by about 2030, and the U.S., which uses 20% (http://www.eia.gov/tools/faqs/faq.cfm?id=87&t=1) of the world's energy, will achieve (http://www.reuters.com/article/2012/11/12/us-iea-oil-report-idUSBRE8AB0IQ20121112)energy self-sufficiency by the mid-2030s.
http://i2.cdn.turner.com/cnn/dam/assets/110912013005-david-frum-portrait-left-tease.jpgDavid Frum

Predictions that the world would imminently "run out of oil" have been worrying oil consumers since at least the 1920s. They always prove wrong, for reasons explained by the great oil economist M.A. Adelman after the last "oil shortage" in the 1970s:
Oil reserves, Adelman writes, "are no gift of nature. They (are) a growth of knowledge, paid for by heavy investment."
For all practical purposes, the world's supply of oil is not finite. It is more like a supermarket's supply of canned tomatoes. At any given moment, there may be a dozen cases in the store, but that inventory is constantly being replenished with the money the customers pay for the cans they remove, and the more tomatoes that customers buy, the bigger an inventory the store will carry.
Someday, of course, consumers will decide they want less oil at the current price. Someday we may move beyond oil altogether. When that day comes, the investment will stop -- and nobody will ever know or care how much oil remains in the ground.

okie52
3/5/2013, 11:08 PM
While I'm hopeful of this eventually coming true we still have poor energy policy. Our reserves are much greater in NG than oil...even with oils recent surge domestically. We should still be moving more of transportation to ng....and it's cleaner, too.

diverdog
3/5/2013, 11:22 PM
While I'm hopeful of this eventually coming true we still have poor energy policy. Our reserves are much greater in NG than oil...even with oils recent surge domestically. We should still be moving more of transportation to ng....and it's cleaner, too.

Totally agree.

I forgot to tell you we have a rig on my moms place. They started drilling last week and are suppose to go to 8000 feet.

Yeah, I pretty much sold out so you can hang that monicur around my neck....lol.

okie52
3/5/2013, 11:44 PM
Totally agree.

I forgot to tell you we have a rig on my moms place. They started drilling last week and are suppose to go to 8000 feet.

Yeah, I pretty much sold out so you can hang that monicur around my neck....lol.

So do you own the minerals too? Where is your moms place located?

diverdog
3/6/2013, 04:56 AM
So do you own the minerals too? Where is your moms place located?

I will pm you.

Petro-Sooner
3/6/2013, 08:20 AM
Drill baby drill.

KantoSooner
3/6/2013, 10:12 AM
Beware people from the coasts talking oil.

Oil really IS finite, but we only appear to be talking about actual quantities of oil in these breathless newspaper articles. They're talking 'proven reserves' in most cases, which have as much to do with prices and technology as they do with how much oil is in the ground. You have a tech breakthrough or the price goes up and 'voila', you have more reserves because you can now project the commercial viability of recovering more of what's in the ground.

While I'm happy that we're headed for energy independence, at least over the short term, let's not be dumb. Like the old bumper stickers used to say, "God, give us one more oil boom; we promise we won't **** that one away."

OU68
3/6/2013, 10:46 AM
It really, really pi$$es me off that our guvmnt won't get behind NG, instead of farting around with wind (pun intended) and solar.

FaninAma
3/6/2013, 11:18 AM
I think energy independence could be achieved earlier if we had pro-natural gas initiatives put into place by the government. I don't see any valid reasons why the conversions is taking so long other than to curry favor with big oil oil including entities both domestic and foreign.

olevetonahill
3/6/2013, 11:23 AM
I think energy independence could be achieved earlier if we had pro-natural gas initiatives put into place by the government. I don't see any valid reasons why the conversions is taking so long other than to curry favor with big oil oil including entities both domestic and foreign.

You Nailed it bro
Same as with battery's There has been the Tech. Around since the 50s at least for a Long lasting durable battery, Yet the battery companys have bot the patents and are sittin on em. Why make something that will put you out of business ?

KantoSooner
3/6/2013, 11:26 AM
Vet, you might want to alert Boeing to that. I hear they are in the market for such a product.

olevetonahill
3/6/2013, 11:27 AM
Vet, you might want to alert Boeing to that. I hear they are in the market for such a product.

Heh. I remember In High school discussin this

SoonerBBall
3/6/2013, 12:48 PM
It really, really pi$$es me off that our guvmnt won't get behind NG, instead of farting around with wind (pun intended) and solar.

We need to get behind nuclear power too, but all the idiots come out of the woodwork when you mention it.

SicEmBaylor
3/6/2013, 12:50 PM
The only thing I know about fronts is to never have two of them.

soonercruiser
3/6/2013, 06:36 PM
The U.S will probably do OK, despite our Dictator's policies.