PDA

View Full Version : Kool Kliff

Spray
3/4/2013, 10:29 PM
Read. Laugh.

http://deadspin.com/5988378/leaked-memo-how-texas-tech-could-craft-the-image-of-its-new-coach-and-become-the-hippest-school-in-the-game

swardboy
3/4/2013, 11:12 PM
It will draw stars to lubbock and the program.

Shazzam! Why don't we think of this stuff?

8timechamps
3/4/2013, 11:25 PM
I'm speechless.

All I can think is that this guy owns a tee-shirt shop in Lubbock, and thinks he's plugged in to everything that's "hip" and trendy. He sounds like an agent, only worse.

That's embarrassing.

yankee
3/5/2013, 01:59 AM
As long as Texas Tech remains in Lubbock, Texas, that school will never resemble anything that is "hip". Nor will their 25 year old head coaches.

badger
3/5/2013, 09:34 AM
I actually read the SI article mentioned in that link last night. It does indeed depict Kliff about the way that is described in the memo... with maybe more emphasis on his age than they might have liked (they led with an image of his driver's license that shows his DOB)

I think that UA invests more in their college teams than Nike does with its mid-majors and even some of the majors that aren't the uber national brands so they would probably love to go along with this (especially since Maryland sucks at football right now while Tech has bowling/upset chances).

I am not sure Tech will go along with this, though, because they really don't like taking risks (hence them cutting ties with Leach rather than defending him against the CJK5H allegations).

As much as it is fun to make fun of conference "rivals," there are some good ideas there. It's Tech after all. What do they have to go on? No rivals, no national followings, no Mikey Pirate Captain, etc

Widescreen
3/5/2013, 01:10 PM
Loved the Jean Ralphio reference. Some of that did sound like something Jean Ralphio would come up with.

picasso
3/5/2013, 02:26 PM
Does he still have a mullet?

cleller
3/5/2013, 06:34 PM
If they really want to get him noticed, they should drop the GC pretty boy thing. Too predictable.

They should really go out on the edge (as in cliff) and cast him as Kliff Klaven Kingsbury. He could wear black shoes, white socks, flood pants, and a post office Ike jacket.

He could randomly show up at tailgates, truck stops, bowling alleys, and other typical Lubbock attractions.

Soonerjeepman
3/5/2013, 08:21 PM
that was funny....but the follow-up comments were more funny! crazy pirates...oh wait, wrong coach~

8timechamps
3/5/2013, 08:42 PM
How can anyone think that anything in that email was a "good idea"?

Just so we're on the same page, here's what I saw:

Make Kliff Kingsbury's nickname "GQ".
Have some fashion expert in L.A. style what Kingsbury wears off the field.
Make Tech the school where the "cool kids" are in Texas.
Tell Under Armor to put Kingsbury in a TV ad with Steve Spurrier.

There's plenty more, but I'll stop with those. The guy that wrote the email (who owns a tee-shirt shop) assumes that UA would have no better investment than Texas Tech. That alone makes me laugh. But the rest is just bat **** crazy.

I couldn't get past the horrible grammar. This guy is addressing the president of his alma mater and sends the guy an email like that and is expected to be taken seriously? Holy ****.

sooneredaco
3/6/2013, 08:04 AM
It's Lubbock... There is nothing cool about Lubbock and there will never be anything cool about Lubbock

cleller
3/6/2013, 08:19 AM
The guy signs off with the name of his business: CHROME. I found a Facebook page for a place in Lubbock called Chrome. Not quite Rodeo Drive material:
"We've got a a major #Kliffkrush and don't care who knows it"

http://www.facebook.com/CHROMETX

What they lack in style the make up for in desperation and bling.

Widescreen
3/6/2013, 11:59 AM
The example he gave about how Pete Carroll was able to hang out with stars and how TTU should make that happen for Kingsbury was laughable. I'm pretty sure Hollywood stars and famous athletes don't hang out in Lubbock. And since his job is in Lubbock I can't imagine the university would think him traveling to CA all the time just to attach himself to people out there is a good idea.

texas bandman
3/6/2013, 01:09 PM
It's Lubbock... There is nothing cool about Lubbock and there will never be anything cool about Lubbock

Hey, I'm in Lubbock and I'm pretty dang cool (for an overweight over-the-hill tuba player whose been teaching HS band for 30 years!) Yep, pretty cool!!!!

cleller
3/6/2013, 02:22 PM
Hey, I'm in Lubbock and I'm pretty dang cool (for an overweight over-the-hill tuba player whose been teaching HS band for 30 years!) Yep, pretty cool!!!!

Lose the tuba, and you'll be OK.

8timechamps
3/6/2013, 02:54 PM

Yeah, but I think the limit on "coolness" in Lubbock is 1, so if you have that spot sewn up (and you're an OU fan, so that's a given), there isn't any room for anymore.

texas bandman
3/6/2013, 03:32 PM
Yeah, but I think the limit on "coolness" in Lubbock is 1, so if you have that spot sewn up (and you're an OU fan, so that's a given), there isn't any room for anymore.

Okie dokie, but I have trained my wife and sons to be good Sooner fans too, I'll let them know that I'm the ONLY cool one in Lubbock.

8timechamps
3/6/2013, 04:24 PM
Okie dokie, but I have trained my wife and sons to be good Sooner fans too, I'll let them know that I'm the ONLY cool one in Lubbock.

Well, I think you can send an application to OU to get them designated as "cool", but I think there's a waiting list. :)

Mazeppa
3/6/2013, 10:48 PM
Updated Mar 6, 2013 5:05 PM ET

LUBBOCK, Texas (AP)

Texas Tech's new football coach will make his debut in front of a national television audience at night against SMU.

The university announced Wednesday that the Red Raiders will play against SMU in Dallas on Aug. 30. ESPN will carry the game.

Kliff Kingsbury, a former Red Raiders quarterback and one of the youngest coaches in the Football Bowl Subdivision, took over the program in December. He succeeded Tommy Tuberville, who left unexpectedly for Cincinnati after three seasons in West Texas.

Kingsbury was the offensive coordinator at Texas A&M and coached quarterback Johnny Manziel, who won the Heisman Trophy.

Texas Tech last played a Friday night game in 2002, when Kingsbury led the Red Raiders to a 49-0 win at New Mexico.

8timechamps
3/6/2013, 11:09 PM
Updated Mar 6, 2013 5:05 PM ET

LUBBOCK, Texas (AP)

Texas Tech's new football coach, GQ, will make his debut in front of a national television audience at night against SMU.

The university announced Wednesday that the Red Raiders will play against SMU in Dallas on Aug. 30. ESPN will carry the game.

GQ, a former Red Raiders quarterback and one of the youngest coaches in the Football Bowl Subdivision, took over the program in December. GQ succeeded Tommy Tuberville, who left unexpectedly for Cincinnati after three seasons in West Texas.

GQ was the offensive coordinator at Texas A&M and coached quarterback Johnny Manziel, who won the Heisman Trophy.

Texas Tech last played a Friday night game in 2002, when GQ led the Red Raiders to a 49-0 win at New Mexico.

FIFY

Seamus
3/7/2013, 01:26 AM

This guy was pretty ****ing cool:

http://userserve-ak.last.fm/serve/252/20548513.jpg

cleller
3/7/2013, 08:36 AM
^^Yeah, but he turned whacko.

http://i701.photobucket.com/albums/ww14/cs6000/39GaryBusey_zps469c53b8.jpg

TheHumanAlphabet
3/7/2013, 12:14 PM
Sand Aggies...