PDA

View Full Version : You can stop the Mangino rehire talk now.

Mazeppa
3/1/2013, 09:02 PM
http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/ncaaf-dr-saturday/mark-mangino-assistant-youngstown-state-171555473--ncaaf.html

Monster Zero
3/1/2013, 09:35 PM
Glad to hear that he found work, hope it works out well for him and his family.

nighttrain12
3/1/2013, 10:04 PM
Seems like he could have done better.

picasso
3/2/2013, 01:07 AM
Seems like he could have done better.
Does it? Seems to me like he's been black listed.

And according to some folks here, he can't coach a lick.

OkieThunderLion
3/2/2013, 02:24 AM
Does it? Seems to me like he's been black listed.

And according to some folks here, he can't coach a lick.
He can coach some. But not nearly the miracle worker people give him the credit as (see Mike Stoops before '12). Nor were his OLs here anything better than average.

StoopTroup
3/2/2013, 03:02 AM
I think he was the best Coach Kansas ever had and they were crazy to let him go.

cleller
3/2/2013, 08:15 AM
Nertz.

stoopified
3/2/2013, 08:19 AM
Mangino had the second most wins in school history,I believe he only needed two wins to get the top spot.

picasso
3/2/2013, 10:56 AM
He can coach some. But not nearly the miracle worker people give him the credit as (see Mike Stoops before '12). Nor were his OLs here anything better than average.
I don't care what some of you guys say. He had Kansas one win away from going undefeated. That tells me that he actually does know something about football.

Not to mention the players we got from k-state when he came here.

NorthernIowaSooner
3/2/2013, 11:26 AM
Well he is back with a Stoops. Bob's oldest brother coaches there.

MyT Oklahoma
3/2/2013, 12:36 PM
I don't care what some of you guys say. He had Kansas one win away from going undefeated. That tells me that he actually does know something about football.

IF KU would have played Mizzou that year in Lawrence instead of over at Arrowhead (they did it for the extra money of course) the Jayhawks would have won and then had to face us in the Conference Championship Game. KU would have been the guest of honor for the San Antonio beatdown which would have suited me just fine since I can't stand them.

picasso
3/2/2013, 02:05 PM
IF KU would have played Mizzou that year in Lawrence instead of over at Arrowhead (they did it for the extra money of course) the Jayhawks would have won and then had to face us in the Conference Championship Game. KU would have been the guest of honor for the San Antonio beatdown which would have suited me just fine since I can't stand them.
Agreed, I have a special hatred for KU.

Salt City Sooner
3/2/2013, 02:17 PM
Central Michigan was the only team that KU beat in the regular season who won as many as 8 games. For them, that year was a perfect storm of having their hands down best team of the MM era combined with a schedule that would've almost made '84 BYU blush.

picasso
3/2/2013, 04:13 PM
Central Michigan was the only team that KU beat in the regular season who won as many as 8 games. For them, that year was a perfect storm of having their hands down best team of the MM era combined with a schedule that would've almost made '84 BYU blush.
Yeah yeah yeah. I don't care one damn thing about that. It was at frickin' KU. So with that logic we better back off the holier than thou attitude towards Bill Snyder winning the Big 12 this year because the league was down with not one elite team.

picasso
3/2/2013, 04:14 PM
Mangino also beat UT in their national title season with VY. Except the refs didn't agree.

OkieThunderLion
3/2/2013, 06:14 PM

His and Glen Mason's resumes at Kansas were very similar.

He had a great year in '07, but he didn't have to play the 3 best teams from the south (OU, Texas, Tech).

OkieThunderLion
3/2/2013, 06:15 PM
Yeah yeah yeah. I don't care one damn thing about that. It was at frickin' KU. So with that logic we better back off the holier than thou attitude towards Bill Snyder winning the Big 12 this year because the league was down with not one elite team.
At least you're open-minded. lol

stoops the eternal pimp
3/2/2013, 07:40 PM
What about the 5-7 2009 season where they went 1-7? Who was responsible for that?

I could give him more credit if he had sustained any of that success..It was a great year for them, but his overrall body of work isn't impressive at all.

The only team he owned a winning record over was Iowa State and he was 4-20 against the South teams..

RUSH LIMBAUGH is my clone!
3/2/2013, 07:53 PM
I think he was the best Coach Kansas ever had and they were crazy to let him go.Kinda like Mike Leach.(although Tubberville did well at the Tigers/War Eagle/Plainsmen stop.

3/2/2013, 07:57 PM
Agreed, I have a special hatred for KU.Their hatred for all things Sooner is legend.(although, I contend not as much as orange aggy has for us)

badger
3/3/2013, 04:38 PM
Mangino had the second most wins in school history,I believe he only needed two wins to get the top spot.

I think everyone thought he'd get it when they started 5-0 his final year. That final seven were killer (and let their ath dept fester the abuse allegations more than they likely would have had they still maintained a winning, or even undefeated record).

WA. Sooner
3/3/2013, 07:09 PM
Did KU have another coach win a BCS bowl?

OkieThunderLion
3/4/2013, 12:09 AM
Did KU have another coach win a BCS bowl?
Luck of the draw.

Glen Mason's '95 team went 10-2 in a Big 8 that featured four Top 10 teams.

3/4/2013, 12:14 AM
Luck of the draw.

Glen Mason's '95 team went 10-2 in a Big 8 that featured four Top 10 teams.There was college football in the '90's?

Mazeppa
3/4/2013, 08:41 AM
There was college football in the '90's?

Not in Norman.

StoopTroup
3/5/2013, 04:29 PM
I think Mangino is just waiting for the right time to come back to Norman. :wink: