PDA

View Full Version : Sooners Add Jay Boulware to Coaching Staff

MsProudSooner
3/1/2013, 06:22 PM
http://www.soonersports.com/sports/m-footbl/spec-rel/030113aaa.html

swardboy
3/1/2013, 06:48 PM
Looks like we just got serious about special teams performance....yay.

sooner KB
3/1/2013, 06:55 PM
Looks like we just got serious about special teams performance....yay.

How are we any more serious about special teams now? Special teams is just shifting from Bobby Jack Wright to this guy.

Seamus
3/1/2013, 06:56 PM
**** just got real.

Well, I dunno -- but that sounded like the thing to say.

Intriguing hire -- hope recruiting is a forte, and I hope that means tight ends will be more than a rumor.

8timechamps
3/1/2013, 07:01 PM
This is a surprise. Never even heard this coach mentioned in any of the rumors. Regardless, I like this hire.

Oklahoma guy, former Big XII player, SEC recruiting experience. Great combination!

swardboy
3/1/2013, 07:05 PM
How are we any more serious about special teams now? Special teams is just shifting from Bobby Jack Wright to this guy.

I was impressed by what he did at Auburn.....weren't you?

StoopTroup
3/1/2013, 07:33 PM
I was impressed by what he did at Auburn.....weren't you?

This stuff?

At Auburn, was part of Gene Chizik's staff that inherited a team coming off a 5-7 record in 2008. Two seasons later, the Tigers posted a 14-0 record culminating with a 22-19 win over Oregon in the BCS Championship Game.

Star pupil at tight end while at Auburn was Philip Lutzenkirchen, a second-team All-SEC selection in 2011 who set the school's record for tight ends with 14 career touchdown receptions.

Under Boulware's direction, the Auburn punt coverage unit ranked second in the nation in 2012, permitting four punt return yards on 70 punts.

Auburn ranked third in the country in kickoff coverage in 2012, allowing 16.6 yards per return.

Under Boulware's direction in 2011, Auburn led the SEC in kickoff return yards (1,264), kick return touchdowns (2), kickoff coverage (546 yards) and fewest punts returned (10).

Under Boulware's tutelage, Wes Byrum set an Auburn single-season record for points by a kicker (99) in 2009 and broke that mark with 123 points in 2010 en route to becoming the all-time leading scorer in school history.

In 2010, Auburn led the SEC and ranked ninth in the nation in punt coverage, allowing 4.6 yards per return. The Tigers also ranked 16th in the nation, permitting 19.7 yards per kickoff return.

The Tigers ranked 25th nationally with a 23.5-yard per return average in 2010 and led the SEC with 1,482 return yards.

With Boulware coaching the Auburn special teams in 2009, Byrum set a single-season school records for field goal percentage (93.8, 15 of 16), as well as PAT conversions and attempts (54).

With Boulware coaching the Auburn special teams in 2009, Byrum set a single-season school records for field goal percentage (93.8, 15 of 16), as well as PAT conversions and attempts (54).

In 2009, Boulware also guided running back Demond Washington to an Auburn single-season record with a 31.1-yard kickoff return average, a mark that led the SEC and ranked sixth nationally.

cherokeebrewer
3/1/2013, 07:41 PM
Hired by new Wisconsin head coach Gary Anderson, then a week before spring practice resigns to take job at OU...cool

PLaw
3/1/2013, 08:35 PM
This is a surprise. Never even heard this coach mentioned in any of the rumors. Regardless, I like this hire.

Oklahoma guy, former Big XII player, SEC recruiting experience. Great combination!

whorn mole???

Boomer

goingoneight
3/1/2013, 09:11 PM
"Our tight ends are going to be just fine. We had some really talented guys we signed last year and they've been doing great in their redshirt year. We were also playing a few guys with nagging injuries there and the position is just not as effective without the numbers or the guys healthy."
-Bob Stoops on NSD talking about the "lack of signing tight ends" and looking for a future replacement for Trey Millard--
"Trey's the kind of guy we're always out there looking for. But he's a special player and so it goes without saying that isn't easy to find a guy who is as good as he is at that particular position."

VA Sooner
3/1/2013, 09:35 PM
It's looking like a pretty good group of assistant coaches in the last few weeks... we'll see where it goes from here.

Whet
3/1/2013, 10:32 PM
I heard he left Wisconsin because he was not comfortable with all the supper clubs.

jkm, the stolen pifwafwi
3/1/2013, 11:10 PM
seriously? someone from the gardere teams? you have got to be kidding me

picasso
3/2/2013, 01:39 AM
Peter the great?

stoopified
3/2/2013, 09:12 AM
Hired by new Wisconsin head coach Gary Anderson, then a week before spring practice resigns to take job at OU...coolWhen I heard he had only been at Whiskey for 6weeks before resigning to take the OU job,my first thought was that them cheese eaters ain't gonna be too happy with Sooner Nation.

blacktop
3/2/2013, 10:22 AM
Saw this on SB Nation.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y47f2tJkqzg

MyT Oklahoma
3/2/2013, 12:41 PM
whorn mole???

Boomer

Hey UT's greatest football Coach ever came by way of Holister OK.

cherokeebrewer
3/2/2013, 01:59 PM
Hollis

sooneron
3/4/2013, 09:49 AM
If he's any good, we can look forward to the Boulware to Austin" threads on Shaggy.

Sooners78
3/4/2013, 12:04 PM
Hey UT's greatest football Coach ever came by way of Holister OK.

That would be Hollis. There's still a town at Hollister, but barely.

TheHumanAlphabet
3/4/2013, 12:07 PM
whorn mole???

Boomer

Another one...Boren just hired a UT grad and Longhorn band alum as the Director of The Pride...

HateTheWhorns
3/4/2013, 05:09 PM
seriously? someone from the gardere teams? you have got to be kidding me

Would it make you feel any better if he were from the Gibbs, Smellyburger, Blake teams? Had he been dumb enough to go to OU during those years, those are the cards he would have been dealt.

jkm, the stolen pifwafwi
3/4/2013, 05:15 PM
Would it make you feel any better if he were from the Gibbs, Smellyburger, Blake teams? Had he been dumb enough to go to OU during those years, those are the cards he would have been dealt.

Why do you hate Cale Gundy?

Aren't there 4 QBs that are coaches from those eras?

sooneron
3/4/2013, 09:32 PM

Maybe your whorn hatred has you oblivious. Are you more of an OU fan or a whorn hater? I guess you think the guys that signed a NLoI back then were idiots. I don't think so. I thank Tyrell Peters, Cedric Jones, Kenyon Rasheed, Aubrey Beavers, James Allen, Jajuan Penny, Garrick McGee, Jarrail Jackson, PJ Mills, Jerald Moore, Stephen Alexander, DeMond Parker and many others...

You might actually want to look into those "awesome" teams the whorns fielded back when they could only claim a squirrelly victory over us. ( Gardere years)

jkm, the stolen pifwafwi
3/4/2013, 10:30 PM
Maybe your whorn hatred has you oblivious. Are you more of an OU fan or a whorn hater? I guess you think the guys that signed a NLoI back then were idiots. I don't think so. I thank Tyrell Peters, Cedric Jones, Kenyon Rasheed, Aubrey Beavers

You were doing pretty well until you got there. I'm honestly surprised that Kenyon didn't become a basketball coach somewhere. That guy was on the court when I got there and still there 3 hours later when I left (except football season where he left 1 1/2 hours in for practice and returned after).

sooneron
3/5/2013, 10:33 AM
He had a monster game against CU when we tied them.

jkm, the stolen pifwafwi
3/5/2013, 11:03 AM
He had a monster game against CU when we tied them.

You mean that game where the he kept one of their drives alive by trying to twist the QB into a twizzler on a sack?

sooneron
3/5/2013, 11:08 AM
heh, touche'

Scott D
3/5/2013, 03:39 PM
to be fair, who didn't want to twist CU players into pretzels back then.

stoopified
3/5/2013, 11:21 PM
WTF does it matter that Boulware played at UT? He was hired for his coaching ability,not his alma mater .

jkm, the stolen pifwafwi
3/6/2013, 01:55 PM
WTF does it matter that Boulware played at UT? He was hired for his coaching ability,not his alma mater .

I see that someone did not have recurring nightmares of gardere jump passes to a cash brother. And he has been hired for his "alleged" coaching ability, he hasn't proved anything yet. I'm just stating upfront that he isn't starting out with a neutral grade from me, but I'm not at "Fire the 'Shock the Nation' dude". I wonder if Randall Hill is coaching somewhere to offset this guy.

HateTheWhorns
3/6/2013, 02:30 PM
Maybe your whorn hatred has you oblivious. Are you more of an OU fan or a whorn hater? I guess you think the guys that signed a NLoI back then were idiots. I don't think so. I thank Tyrell Peters, Cedric Jones, Kenyon Rasheed, Aubrey Beavers, James Allen, Jajuan Penny, Garrick McGee, Jarrail Jackson, PJ Mills, Jerald Moore, Stephen Alexander, DeMond Parker and many others...

You might actually want to look into those "awesome" teams the whorns fielded back when they could only claim a squirrelly victory over us. ( Gardere years)

Sooneron,

I'm just talking with hindsight the same way JKM was. Just as Boulware had no idea what he was signing up for at UT, nor did any of our guys. No I have nothing against Cale Gundy. As for my Sooner ties and loyalty, I have been attending OU games for 43 years and family has had season tickets since 1928. Father was a Regent, grandfather sponsored and passed the bill in the Oklahoma state legislature that funded the original OU basketball arena (MaCasland), and my great-grandfather was one of the key fundraisers for the football stadium in the late 1920s. Ties run deep.

My original comment was "tongue-in-cheek." Didn't mean to get under anyone's skin.

jkm, the stolen pifwafwi
3/6/2013, 02:37 PM
Sooneron,

I'm just talking with hindsight the same way JKM was. Just as Boulware had no idea what he was signing up for at UT, nor did any of our guys. No I have nothing against Cale Gundy. As for my Sooner ties and loyalty, I have been attending OU games for 43 years and family has had season tickets since 1928. Father was a Regent, grandfather sponsored and passed the bill in the Oklahoma state legislature that funded the original OU basketball arena (MaCasland), and my great-grandfather was one of the key fundraisers for the football stadium in the late 1920s. Ties run deep.

My original comment was "tongue-in-cheek." Didn't mean to get under anyone's skin.

No need to apologize, pretty much everything that Ron and I say is "tongue-in-cheek". A lonnnnng time ago, the "Why do you hate" phrase was a sarcastic way of pointing out that you were right (in this case, Gundy being dumb). I had 3 classes with the guy and anytime a teacher asked him a question he got that same deer in the headlights look he got on the football field when he was about to be sacked. You know the one where he immediately goes to almost a jumping jack position and then starts looking for a place to run?

jkm, the stolen pifwafwi
3/6/2013, 02:46 PM
it wasn't as bad his senior year, but still noticeable

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9aGGZkIlk9k

53-54 second mark (really wish that youtube would let you bookmark times)

the saddest part about watching even these 93 videos is how much better their linebackers were than what we have now.

HateTheWhorns
3/6/2013, 05:59 PM
No need to apologize, pretty much everything that Ron and I say is "tongue-in-cheek". A lonnnnng time ago, the "Why do you hate" phrase was a sarcastic way of pointing out that you were right (in this case, Gundy being dumb). I had 3 classes with the guy and anytime a teacher asked him a question he got that same deer in the headlights look he got on the football field when he was about to be sacked. You know the one where he immediately goes to almost a jumping jack position and then starts looking for a place to run?

Gotcha. Guess I don't spend enough time on this board to pick up on all the double-edged lingo that goes on between all of the regular posters.

Thanks

8timechamps
3/6/2013, 07:12 PM
I liked his interview. Seemed more charismatic than Montgomery, and his ties to Oklahoma outweigh his injury filled football career at UT.

sooneron
3/6/2013, 09:15 PM
Sooneron,

No big, I prolly overreacted...