PDA

View Full Version : Arrow up or down for next year?

OkieThunderLion
2/28/2013, 12:26 PM
Losing Osby is massive. Pledger is a shooter we can't replace. Grooms and Fitz have been solid role guys.

Desperately need some bigs. What kind of impact is anticpated from Spangler?

Soonerjeepman
2/28/2013, 02:19 PM
I'd say we might be sideways? I saw the 6'10 kid play up here, honestly - good hands, lefty, good FT, hit a 3 in transition...but got blocked 3 times by a 6'10 210 kid. He was the biggest guy on the floor but didn't use it.

He definitely won't fill any of those holes. We need another big.

badger
2/28/2013, 02:26 PM
I'd say we might be sideways? I saw the 6'10 kid play up here, honestly - good hands, lefty, good FT, hit a 3 in transition...but got blocked 3 times by a 6'10 210 kid. He was the biggest guy on the floor but didn't use it.

He definitely won't fill any of those holes. We need another big.
I'll take a sideways arrow too.

A few roster questions:
- Who is DJ Bennett? Will he be a junior next year also since I haven't seen or heard from him this year?
- How bout Ryan Spangler? Another guy that will be the same classification (soph) next year due to transfer?

Our three studly freshman still have tons of room to grow. Can anyone say anything about the rest? (Isaiah Cousins, Steve Norworyta?)

8timechamps
2/28/2013, 05:22 PM
I'm going to say up.

There is no question that it's going to be hard to replace a guy like Osby, but I honestly have felt like Pledger has been absent most of the season. We get the freshman back with a year under their belt, and M'Baye too. Add the JUCO big boys and Spangler will be eligible. I actually think we'll be a better overall team next year.

Eielson
2/28/2013, 06:00 PM
It will be interesting. A lot of it's going to depend on if M'Baye and Clark step up. They've been decent players, but I've always felt they have something more. Hopefully Woodard can run the point from day 1. Grooms is the only guy we have that looks like a point guard right now. Of the four, Osby is the only one I'm worried about replacing.

OkieThunderLion
3/1/2013, 12:03 AM
It will be interesting. A lot of it's going to depend on if M'Baye and Clark step up. They've been decent players, but I've always felt they have something more. Hopefully Woodard can run the point from day 1. Grooms is the only guy we have that looks like a point guard right now. Of the four, Osby is the only one I'm worried about replacing.
I just don't see M'baye as are true big. He needs some muscle next to him. Is Spangler definitely that guy?

Eielson
3/1/2013, 12:58 AM
I just don't see M'baye as are true big. He needs some muscle next to him. Is Spangler definitely that guy?

I think Bennett is our guy, but we'll have to see what progress the coaches made with him during his redshirt. He's got the size and athleticism, but his offensive game needed some work. That 7-4 wingspan could come in handy. We won't be able to replace the low post scoring of Osby, but hopefully our guys on the perimeter can make up for some of that.

Soonerjeepman
3/1/2013, 01:11 AM
I'm going to say up.

There is no question that it's going to be hard to replace a guy like Osby, but I honestly have felt like Pledger has been absent most of the season. We get the freshman back with a year under their belt, and M'Baye too. Add the JUCO big boys and Spangler will be eligible. I actually think we'll be a better overall team next year.

Sorry 8time...saw the kid play...true only 1 game, and he was the biggest guy out there...3/4 FT, 1 FG, got blocked 3 times. He is no where near anyone that plays for OU right now...well maybe Neal. I do think he's got good hands and some range but not a big post guy...that I saw. Let a 6'10 210 lber block his shot.

tycat947
3/1/2013, 06:04 AM
I say up. I think with Spangler and Bennett we will be a much better rebounding team. The 3 frosh will be more experienced and comfortable and I think M'Baye will have a much better year. We lose some experienced players but will be better IMO.

kevpks
3/1/2013, 08:23 AM
Up. A good point guard and post player are coming in and our young guards will be a year older. I think Buddy could make a huge leap forward based on the flashes he has shown.

Soonerjeepman
3/1/2013, 02:02 PM
Kev, the kid from Norman (pg)? have you seen him? just curious.

kevpks
3/1/2013, 02:13 PM
Kev, the kid from Norman (pg)? have you seen him? just curious.

I was talking about Jordan Woodard from Edmond. I haven't seen him play, but I know he had offers from Baylor, Iowa, Memphis and Kansas. That tells me he is pretty good. Plus, I am to the point where I really trust Kruger given what I've seen. Maybe he can dribble through a trap at least : )

OkieThunderLion
3/1/2013, 05:04 PM
Up. A good point guard and post player are coming in and our young guards will be a year older. I think Buddy could make a huge leap forward based on the flashes he has shown.

Yeah, I think it's his team.

8timechamps
3/1/2013, 11:46 PM
Sorry 8time...saw the kid play...true only 1 game, and he was the biggest guy out there...3/4 FT, 1 FG, got blocked 3 times. He is no where near anyone that plays for OU right now...well maybe Neal. I do think he's got good hands and some range but not a big post guy...that I saw. Let a 6'10 210 lber block his shot.

Interesting. I guess we can only hope he improves under Lon. The good news is we really only need him to be a 8-10 point/game type of guy. The bad news is, it doesn't sound like he's going to be the next Ro Osby.

I also learned today that the Sooners parted ways with the second of the two JUCO guys (Dominique Elliott) due to academic issues. I don't know if Lon will look to add another big via the JUCO ranks, or push forward into 2014.

IF we get decent play from Hamilton, and Spangler plays as well as I think he will, I'm still going with an "up" arrow.

8timechamps
3/1/2013, 11:48 PM
I was talking about Jordan Woodard from Edmond. I haven't seen him play, but I know he had offers from Baylor, Iowa, Memphis and Kansas. That tells me he is pretty good. Plus, I am to the point where I really trust Kruger given what I've seen. Maybe he can dribble through a trap at least : )

Woodward is the real deal. He will be a lot like Hield/Hornbeak this year. We'll be in really good shape on the parameter. Now, if Lon can build the interior, this could be a really, really good team.

Soonerjeepman
3/2/2013, 08:12 AM
cool...yeah, my mistake..knew he was local. **not bashing the kid, but Kev said he had offers from KU, BU, Iowa..on the board it says offers from OU, stanford and memphis, osu and tt were looking, no ku, bu or iowa offers. Which I know don't mean jack ;-)... just pointing it out.

I agree it's Buddy's team for the next few years. Really unfortunate he broke his foot...the team was really jellin and Lon had a great rotation. I also think Cousins will grow a lot and learn, but it's up to him..his mental approach.

Too bad about the other big juco. Spanglet might really blossom, and this Steve kid from NJ...just don't know. Obviously LK got him for some reason, just didn't WOW me with his HS bio, but I'm not a D1 coach.

I definitely see a sideways or up arrow~