PDA

View Full Version : The Sea Shepherds = Pirates!

sappstuf
2/28/2013, 04:44 AM
The 9th circuit ruled.

A US court has declared the conservation group Sea Shepherd to be “pirates” and ordered it to stop its aggressive actions against Japanese whalers. The ruling was issued on Wednesday by chief judge Alex Kozinski of the 9th US circuit court of appeals. In his 18-page opinion, he wrote: “You don’t need a peg leg or an eye patch. When you ram ships; hurl containers of acid; drag metal-reinforced ropes in the water to damage propellers and rudders; launch smoke bombs and flares with hooks; and point high-powered lasers at other ships, you are, without a doubt, a pirate, no matter how high-minded you believe your purpose to be.”

I have a hard time disagreeing with the judge because I have seen them do all of those things on the show.

My biggest surprise is they haven't caused the death of 5-10 of their own people. They usually had about 1 competent person for every 25 on the ship...

diverdog
2/28/2013, 07:17 AM
The 9th circuit ruled.

I have a hard time disagreeing with the judge because I have seen them do all of those things on the show.

My biggest surprise is they haven't caused the death of 5-10 of their own people. They usually had about 1 competent person for every 25 on the ship...

I will still send them money. What the Japanese are doing is also wrong. There fishing and whaling fleets violate every law on the books.

Turd_Ferguson
2/28/2013, 07:39 AM
I will still send them money. What the Japanese are doing is also wrong. There fishing and whaling fleets violate every law on the books.

So, you help fund vigilantes?

diverdog
2/28/2013, 07:58 AM
So, you help fund vigilantes?

No pirates. Pay attention.

sappstuf
2/28/2013, 08:00 AM

Well, not EVERY law, or they would be considered pirates as well...

I think this ruling is one that stands against radical enviromentalism. Just because you think you are doing something righteous doesn't mean you can just do whatever you want.

SicEmBaylor
2/28/2013, 08:12 AM
There are few things more sacred to me than private property rights. The only thing stopping me from wishing the Japanese would unleash some legitimate firepower at these *******s is my fear the Japs would get carried away and start invading islands again.

olevetonahill
2/28/2013, 08:26 AM
I laughed OUT loud when their boat got crunched between two Jab tubs.

diverdog
2/28/2013, 12:36 PM
There are few things more sacred to me than private property rights. The only thing stopping me from wishing the Japanese would unleash some legitimate firepower at these *******s is my fear the Japs would get carried away and start invading islands again.

Sorry but this all governed under a different set of rules.

Turd_Ferguson
2/28/2013, 12:43 PM
Sorry but this all governed under a different set of rules.

Please, cite the rule that say's they can do the destructive things they do.

StoopTroup
2/28/2013, 10:31 PM
Where are the rules that say they can't? Wouldn't that have what you are looking for?

diverdog
2/28/2013, 11:24 PM
Please, cite the rule that say's they can do the destructive things they do.

The ruling means chit. Maritime laws, international conservation laws and enforcement are murky at best on the high sea. This ruling is probably relevant to our jurisdictional waters in the EEZ. It has no effect in the southern oceans.

StoopTroup
2/28/2013, 11:49 PM
The ruling means chit. Maritime laws, international conservation laws and enforcement are murky at best on the high sea. This ruling is probably relevant to our jurisdictional waters in the EEZ. It has no effect in the southern oceans.

The Oceans and Seas have all sorts of Meter Maids. I can't see why the law isn't enforced....:D :wink:

SicEmBaylor
3/1/2013, 12:16 AM

That being the case, the Japs should just start sinking them.

SCOUT
3/1/2013, 12:52 AM

Yep

olevetonahill
3/1/2013, 01:06 AM

Yep

Yup also.

RUSH LIMBAUGH is my clone!
3/1/2013, 01:24 AM
That being the case, the Japs should just start sinking them.How would the world get along without so many whales?...It would be tough, I tellya. Edible fish would explode in numbers, with all the additional baitfish that the whales don't eat, but so what. WHALES ARE PEOPLE TOO!!!

SCOUT
3/1/2013, 01:33 AM
How would the world get along without so many whales?...It would be tough, I tellya. Edible fish would explode in numbers, with all the additional baitfish that the whales don't eat, but so what. WHALES ARE PEOPLE TOO!!!
In the interests of full disclosure, I am adamantly opposed to what the Japanese are doing. With that said, the idiots on the Sea Shepherd are pirates and should sunk out of principle.

3/1/2013, 01:41 AM
In the interests of full disclosure, I am adamantly opposed to what the Japanese are doing. With that said, the idiots on the Sea Shepherd are pirates and should sunk out of principle.They aren't going to be able to convince the Japanese, or anyone else who sends out whaling ships to stop whaling. Those that harvest whales don't have the same reverence for whales as some folks do.(I would personally like them more if they didn't eat so goldarned much).

olevetonahill
3/1/2013, 01:43 AM
In the interests of full disclosure, I am adamantly opposed to what the Japanese are doing. With that said, the idiots on the Sea Shepherd are pirates and should sunk out of principle.

I've never watched the Whale wars or anything else related to this. But arnt the Japs doing whats allowed under those treaties?

They are allowed to catch X amount right? the extry they use for food. So they catch the Max amount. Change the Ruels then .

SCOUT
3/1/2013, 01:48 AM
I've never watched the Whale wars or anything else related to this. But arnt the Japs doing whats allowed under those treaties?

They are allowed to catch X amount right? the extry they use for food. So they catch the Max amount. Change the Ruels then .

The accusation is that they catching and killing 2X the number of whales under treaties. The problem is that some of the Japanese ships are listed as research ships, which are exempt from the treaties.

diverdog
3/1/2013, 03:53 AM

Vet that is the whole problem. They are violating a bunch of trearies and no nation will oppose them because of Japans economic power. They are claiming to kill whales for scientific research but it is a lie. They have not advanced the science of whales one bit. On a broader scale Japanese fishing fleets are decimating fisheries throughout the world. They will eventually wipe bluefin tuna off the face of the earth. The fisheries around Japan are gone because of their destructive practices. Every night the Japanese fishing fleets lay out about 10,000 miles of drift nets. The bycatch from these nets is going to wipe out sea turtles and sharks unless they are stopped. I have absolutely no love for the Japanese and as far as I am concerned we should be sinking some of their fishing fleet. They are the real pirates in this story.

sappstuf
3/1/2013, 05:32 AM
Vet that is the whole problem. They are violating a bunch of trearies and no nation will oppose them because of Japans economic power. They are claiming to kill whales for scientific research but it is a lie. They have not advanced the science of whales one bit. On a broader scale Japanese fishing fleets are decimating fisheries throughout the world. They will eventually wipe bluefin tuna off the face of the earth. The fisheries around Japan are gone because of their destructive practices. Every night the Japanese fishing fleets lay out about 10,000 miles of drift nets. The bycatch from these nets is going to wipe out sea turtles and sharks unless they are stopped. I have absolutely no love for the Japanese and as far as I am concerned we should be sinking some of their fishing fleet. They are the real pirates in this story.

I think they have the science of killing them down pretty good....

salth2o
3/1/2013, 07:18 AM
I'm surpised the Japanese whalers haven't already sunk the Sea-Tards.

olevetonahill
3/1/2013, 08:30 AM

Well As you prolly can guess, even tho I do try to hide it , I aint a Tree huggin alarmist.
So tell me again how this will affect ME?

Aint that what most Libs say when some one says The Gov is taking this or that? "Well if ya aint doing anything wrong it dont affect you?

See my point?

Turd_Ferguson
3/1/2013, 09:01 AM
Well As you prolly can guess, even tho I do try to hide it , I aint a Tree huggin alarmist.

Aint that what most Libs say when some one says The Gov is taking this or that? "Well if ya aint doing anything wrong it dont affect you?

See my point?

It's useless OV...that silly bastard sends them money.

olevetonahill
3/1/2013, 09:15 AM
It's useless OV...that silly bastard sends them money.

Comes out even then , I send the Japs money.

sappstuf
3/1/2013, 09:18 AM
Whale meat ranks right up there with horse..

Deelish!

Harry Beanbag
3/1/2013, 10:38 AM
What do they do with all these whales? I haven't seen any blubber fueled lamps or sweet scrimshaw nick nacks in quite awhile.

Oh, and the Japanese are showing remarkable restraint in dealing with these retards. They seem to be well within their rights to sink these idiots ships since they are being attacked on the high seas.

olevetonahill
3/1/2013, 10:41 AM
What do they do with all these whales? I haven't seen any blubber fueled lamps or sweet scrimshaw nick nacks in quite awhile.

Oh, and the Japanese are showing remarkable restraint in dealing with these retards. They seem to be well within their rights to sink these idiots ships since they are being attacked on the high seas.

They eat em

3/1/2013, 01:25 PM
Whale meat ranks right up there with horse..

Deelish!Have you eaten it? I had a friend eat some porpoise once, and he said it was nasty. Of course, he could have somehow screwed up the preparation and cooking. I don't know.

diverdog
3/1/2013, 01:43 PM

Most of the meat is thrown away.

diverdog
3/1/2013, 01:47 PM

See my point?

No. Why then would we care about any critter by your standards.

Harry Beanbag
3/1/2013, 02:03 PM

That doesn't answer my question.

diverdog
3/1/2013, 02:09 PM
That doesn't answer my question.

Yes it does. Young Japanese don't eat whale meat. The industry cannot survive without heavy government subsidies. They even siphoned off tsunami relief money to the whale industry.

3/1/2013, 02:19 PM
Yes it does. Young Japanese don't eat whale meat. The industry cannot survive without heavy government subsidies. They even siphoned off tsunami relief money to the whale industry.reducing the whale population helps the edible marine creatures fishing industry. FWIW to you...so, maybe it's a political and economic decision by the Japanese govt.

diverdog
3/1/2013, 02:23 PM
reducing the whale population helps the edible marine creatures fishing industry. FWIW to you...so, maybe it's a political and economic decision by the Japanese govt.

Do you have a link to your assertion? I am unaware of any whale populations having any effect on fish populations.

3/1/2013, 02:31 PM
Do you have a link to your assertion? I am unaware of any whale populations having any effect on fish populations.Shirley, are you srs, ?

olevetonahill
3/1/2013, 02:33 PM
No. Why then would we care about any critter by your standards.

I was being a smartass if ya couldnt tell.
Most Libs say shat like that. Well I dont care if they use drones IM not doing any thing wrong, I dont care if they Ban guns I hate them, I dont care It doesnt affect ME, ME, Me.
well I hope you get the point this time

olevetonahill
3/1/2013, 02:36 PM

Now DD think about it. WHY would they go to all the trouble to go out Find the whales Chase em down kill em haul em aboard and these just toss em away?

You been into Bob Barkers Meds?

olevetonahill
3/1/2013, 02:46 PM
http://animal.discovery.com/tv-shows/whale-wars/about-whaling/why-japanese-hunt-whales.htm

From what little Searchin I just did , Looks to me like they eat the hell out of it. Plus they only harvest less than a 1000 a year.
leave em alone.

diverdog
3/1/2013, 03:50 PM
Now DD think about it. WHY would they go to all the trouble to go out Find the whales Chase em down kill em haul em aboard and these just toss em away?

You been into Bob Barkers Meds?

It is like any government financed operation. Once it is started you can't get rid of it. Canada does the same thing with cod fisherman and we do it with some farm operations.

Harry Beanbag
3/1/2013, 03:55 PM
Yes it does. Young Japanese don't eat whale meat. The industry cannot survive without heavy government subsidies. They even siphoned off tsunami relief money to the whale industry.

I never said they ate them. I asked what they do with them. Honest question.

olevetonahill
3/1/2013, 04:07 PM

They DO eat em

3/1/2013, 04:13 PM
They DO eat emnuttin' like New York Cut Minke! yum!

with Wasabi...YOW!

there ya go!

Harry Beanbag
3/1/2013, 05:30 PM
I'll eat anything with wasabi.

FaninAma
3/1/2013, 05:39 PM
I am not much of an animal right's advocate but I do agree the Japanese are violating anti-whaling maritime treaties. There are some acts that just aren't supportable. Killing whales and dolphins intentionally are among those. I say more power to this group.

3/1/2013, 05:45 PM
I am not much of a animal right's advocate but I do agree the Japanese are violating anti-whaling maritime treaties. There are some acts that just aren't supportable. Killing whales and dolphins intentionally are among those. I say more power to this group.snail darters? K-Mart sign owls?

KantoSooner
3/1/2013, 06:09 PM
Against my better judgement, here goes.

(provenance: lived there a long time. had this screaming argument in bars across the country and with my father in law too many times to count).

1. Whaling has been practiced by the Japanese for over a thousand years. Now, that was coastal whaling and was done by hand and, if bloody, was at least sustainable. But, still they've done it for a while. And they've butchered porpoises, as well. Traditionally, they weren't seen as mammals but as some different kind of fish, thus they were not on the Buddhist strictures against eating land animal flesh. Important source of protein in a very pretty, green, but nutrient poor set of islands.

2. Whaling rules today permit 'scientific whaling' and 'traditional harvest' (the native people's clause). What the Japanese are doing today may fall within the letter of those rules, but certainly violates the entirety of the spirit and intent. For some Japanese, it's gotten to be a deal where they are just going to get their backs up because a bunch of foreign tree huggers are telling them what to do. It's gotten way beyond rational.

3. Most of the whale meat that is harvested is eaten. It's in virtually every grocery store in the country labelled as 'Kujira' (whale). Not hiding the ball. It's dark, dark red, almost black, extremely rich and very 'iron' tasting. I've eaten it, didn't like it much, but you can't argue that it is nutrient dense. It's also, as in the case of every apex predator, loaded with heavy metals and toxins. It's not terribly healthy. The major buyers now are elderly people who remember it from their post war school days when it was reserved mostly for school lunches to provide malnourished kids some heavy protein (from 1945 to 1955, it was not unusual to see the bodies of dead-from-starvation Japanese being hauled out of commuter train stations in the mornings).

So, you've basically got the Japanese completely in the wrong on this one...and yet I am not without sympathy for their animousity at having the very people who were largely responsible for driving whales, globally, to the brink of extinction now telling them that they have to be the ones to lay off what is a very limited whaling program.

If I were to run a program, I'd target the young and use internet available films of the porpoise slaughters to try and turn public opinion. I'd also see if I could recruit young pop stars to do little 5 second spots saying 'Kujira? Yuck!'. It'd be hard for them as they are still pretty much 'owned' by their record labels, but there are enough who make their dollar being 'rebels' that you could get some. You're not going to win the old farts, Hell, they think the war went the wrong way, but you can win the kids. That at least ends it in 30 years or so.

StoopTroup
3/1/2013, 06:46 PM
If we kill off all the Whales...aliens are gonna come and wipe out all of us. Surely some of you saw that Star Trek movie.

SicEmBaylor
3/1/2013, 07:10 PM
If we kill off all the Whales...aliens are gonna come and wipe out all of us. Surely some of you saw that Star Trek movie.

A billion times and that is absolutely not the plot.

StoopTroup
3/1/2013, 07:18 PM
HeH. I have found another Trekkie. :wink:

http://4.bp.blogspot.com/_36_pu_Vtt_c/TUIsJqDFb1I/AAAAAAAABBM/43PzwLu7g6Y/s1600/trekkies.jpg

olevetonahill
3/1/2013, 07:42 PM

(provenance: lived there a long time. had this screaming argument in bars across the country and with my father in law too many times to count).

1. Whaling has been practiced by the Japanese for over a thousand years. Now, that was coastal whaling and was done by hand and, if bloody, was at least sustainable. But, still they've done it for a while. And they've butchered porpoises, as well. Traditionally, they weren't seen as mammals but as some different kind of fish, thus they were not on the Buddhist strictures against eating land animal flesh. Important source of protein in a very pretty, green, but nutrient poor set of islands.

2. Whaling rules today permit 'scientific whaling' and 'traditional harvest' (the native people's clause). What the Japanese are doing today may fall within the letter of those rules, but certainly violates the entirety of the spirit and intent. For some Japanese, it's gotten to be a deal where they are just going to get their backs up because a bunch of foreign tree huggers are telling them what to do. It's gotten way beyond rational.

3. Most of the whale meat that is harvested is eaten. It's in virtually every grocery store in the country labelled as 'Kujira' (whale). Not hiding the ball. It's dark, dark red, almost black, extremely rich and very 'iron' tasting. I've eaten it, didn't like it much, but you can't argue that it is nutrient dense. It's also, as in the case of every apex predator, loaded with heavy metals and toxins. It's not terribly healthy. The major buyers now are elderly people who remember it from their post war school days when it was reserved mostly for school lunches to provide malnourished kids some heavy protein (from 1945 to 1955, it was not unusual to see the bodies of dead-from-starvation Japanese being hauled out of commuter train stations in the mornings).

So, you've basically got the Japanese completely in the wrong on this one...and yet I am not without sympathy for their animousity at having the very people who were largely responsible for driving whales, globally, to the brink of extinction now telling them that they have to be the ones to lay off what is a very limited whaling program.

If I were to run a program, I'd target the young and use internet available films of the porpoise slaughters to try and turn public opinion. I'd also see if I could recruit young pop stars to do little 5 second spots saying 'Kujira? Yuck!'. It'd be hard for them as they are still pretty much 'owned' by their record labels, but there are enough who make their dollar being 'rebels' that you could get some. You're not going to win the old farts, Hell, they think the war went the wrong way, but you can win the kids. That at least ends it in 30 years or so.

Knowing you lived and worked there, I was hoping to hear from you on this ,
Thanks for a Great post.

diverdog
3/2/2013, 08:18 AM

i am not opposed to indigenous people eating whales. What bothers me is industrial whaling. Those boats the japanese are using can kill thousands of whales without restraint. And for the record I am against the countries in the EU who whale.

From a study they say more than 5000 metric tons of whale meat is thrown away each year in Japan. The eating of whale meat is generational and is not popular with the youth of Japan. I think it will become a thing of the past.

When I was in Japan I bought some whale jerky. I did not know what it was until someone told me. It was heavily flavored with soy.

diverdog
3/2/2013, 08:22 AM

I think there is a use for the whale oil in the perfume industry.

olevetonahill
3/2/2013, 08:24 AM
i am not opposed to indigenous people eating whales. What bothers me is industrial whaling. Those boats the japanese are using can kill thousands of whales without restraint. And for the record I am against the countries in the EU who whale.

From a study they say more than 5000 metric tons of whale meat is thrown away each year in Japan. The eating of whale meat is generational and is not popular with the youth of Japan. I think it will become a thing of the past.

When I was in Japan I bought some whale jerky. I did not know what it was until someone told me. It was heavily flavored with soy.

DD where are you gettin your information?
Every thing Ive read is they take less than a 1000 of The Minsk (sp) whales of which there are a **** load.

Agreed I think the demand is and will continue to shrink . So why keep on ****in with them over it?They a Proud people and Like Most Proud folk you Tell ME i have to STOP doing something that I been doing all my Life, Why I reckon I aint gonna pay ya much mind , Ya come ****in with me about it and Ya gonna get ****ed right back.

Leave em alone, It will be gone before long.

diverdog
3/2/2013, 08:37 AM
DD where are you gettin your information?
Every thing Ive read is they take less than a 1000 of The Minsk (sp) whales of which there are a **** load.

Agreed I think the demand is and will continue to shrink . So why keep on ****in with them over it?They a Proud people and Like Most Proud folk you Tell ME i have to STOP doing something that I been doing all my Life, Why I reckon I aint gonna pay ya much mind , Ya come ****in with me about it and Ya gonna get ****ed right back.

Leave em alone, It will be gone before long.

vet:

I am saying those boats have the capability to kill a lot more than they do. And I can guarantee you if the Sea Shepard's were not down there they would kill way more than they are allowed to kill. Japan does not care about quotas. The have consistently violated about every marine quota set.

olevetonahill
3/2/2013, 08:44 AM
vet:

I am saying those boats have the capability to kill a lot more than they do. And I can guarantee you if the Sea Shepard's were not down there they would kill way more than they are allowed to kill. Japan does not care about quotas. The have consistently violated about every marine quota set.

Bro, You've still failed to explain WHY they would go to the Expense and trouble to Kill all these whales just to throw the meat away?Are you tryin to say That the Japs Just have a really bad hard on for whales? Did the whales cost em the War?
Your argument aint makin much sense , At least to ME.

diverdog
3/2/2013, 09:00 AM
Bro, You've still failed to explain WHY they would go to the Expense and trouble to Kill all these whales just to throw the meat away?Are you tryin to say That the Japs Just have a really bad hard on for whales? Did the whales cost em the War?
Your argument aint makin much sense , At least to ME.

It is a cultural thing, I guess. Kanto addressed it.

I sat on a lot of fishery management panals in my day and the economics of fisheries make little sense to me. The US cod fleets almost completely wiped out the cod. When there were no more fish they should have gone out of business. Instead the government stepped in with tens of millions of dollars to prop them up.

I know it is tough to understand unless you live near oceanic fisheries. Let me put it this way, fisherman and whalers hold as much economic and political power as the American Cattlemans Association. Do you get the picture? Whalers in Japan are politically connected and hold a lot of power in Japan. They are able to get lots of taxpayer dollars to stay in business. Without that money they could not survive. Now if they could expand whaling ( their ultimate goal) and create a market for whale meat they might be economically sustainable. The problem is that whaling on an industrial scale is not sustainable.

FaninAma
3/2/2013, 12:07 PM
snail darters? K-Mart sign owls?

I certainly think consideration should be given to minimizing loss of population in any animal species without understanding the long term consequences.

3/2/2013, 01:18 PM
Your argument aint makin much sense , At least to ME.It's the reverence some have for selected species of animals. (and ALL animals for some people)It matters not whether the killed animals are used for. Their belief is just that those animals shouldn't be killed.

diverdog
3/2/2013, 04:31 PM
It's the reverence some have for selected species of animals. (and ALL animals for some people)It matters not whether the killed animals are used for. Their belief is just that those animals shouldn't be killed.

I hunt but I agree with your last sentence. Sometimes I fall into that category.

3/2/2013, 07:51 PM
I hunt but I agree with your last sentence. Sometimes I fall into that category.You could open the first whale & precious sea creatures zoo. I can lease you the property pretty cheaply, and will provide the animals at no extra charge...

KantoSooner
3/4/2013, 10:22 AM
I don't get the 5,000 tons thrown away thing. Are these estimates of the skins, blubber and the like that is thrown away at sea when butchering the carcasses?

Here are a couple of other random ideas to throw in the hopper:

1. The Japanese are no more reverent of nature than any other group of people. Japanese cities, for instance, are basically hell holes of over development with very little in the way of park space or greenery. Think of the bonsai trees. Is this evidence of some mystical devotion to the natural world, or a sick desire to control each and every detail of it? The book 'Dogs and Demons' addresses this point very directly and is an entertaining read.

2. The fisheries industry and its attendant trade organization is phenomenally strong in Japan. When the Tokugawa Shoguns fell in 1868 (?) and the emperor Meiji was restored, the Japanese faced an existential threat from the relatively well developed West. They had seen what had happened to China during the Opium War and its aftermath and wanted no part of that. So they sent out groups to study different aspects of modernity and bring this knowledge back home. Thus you have a bureaucracy that is modelled on the French, trains and train stations that look very English and Dutch and dairy farms in the North of the country that make you feel like you're in Minnesota.
The ministries in charge of these industries or functions became all powerful because they controlled access to development capital and could thus make or break companies and the people who ran them.
Fisheries, of course, was one of them.
As the industry has faded as an employer, their power has not decreased, it's just become more concentrated in fewer hands. So now you've got a few old men controlling a lot of money. And they use it to buy politicians.
So whaling becomes a sub-text to a much larger generational shift in domestic power politics.

Doesn't help the whales much, but it makes more sense when you have the background.

3/4/2013, 02:17 PM
The Sea Shepherds should wage war on the whaling industry bigwigs, then. Send clandestine operatives in(with photographers, of course, for the Whale Wars show)to throw stuff at the industry moguls, and hold up anti-whaling signs right there in Japan.

Lott's Bandana
3/4/2013, 02:20 PM
I think there is a use for the whale oil in the perfume industry.

NASA uses whale oil in their spacecraft and used it in the shuttle program.

random-ish