PDA

View Full Version : Texas the best coaching job in the country

Mazeppa
2/27/2013, 10:32 PM
According to this guy.

http://network.yardbarker.com/all_sports/article_external/ranking_all_125_college_football_coaching_jobs_for _2013/13001593

Herr Scholz
2/28/2013, 12:25 AM
Texas is one of the top jobs but as he said, there are pluses and minuses just like everywhere else. There's huge pay and a lot of built in advantages but a lot of coaches wouldn't want to put up with all the politics, glad handing and coverage (ie Longhorn Network) such as a Gary Patterson who just likes to coach. UT and Austin have a ton to offer and Texas is a recruiting hotbed but it's not like other teams don't have stocked 85-man rosters too. Just look at A&M. They have some of the same advantages such as recruiting hotbed and huge, rabid fanbase but they haven't won it all in 3/4 of a century.

olevetonahill
2/28/2013, 12:52 AM
Saxet Might be alright If ya dint have to wear that Puke assed ornage shat and put up with all those stinkin whorns

Herr Scholz
2/28/2013, 12:58 AM
Ehh, we're not so bad. I imagine we'd have fun drinking beer together.

olevetonahill
2/28/2013, 01:04 AM
Ehh, we're not so bad. I imagine we'd have fun drinking beer together.

Heh, Moren likely :very_drunk:

SanJoaquinSooner
2/28/2013, 01:15 AM
Dateline: December 2, 2005

By Steve Wieberg, USA TODAY
AUSTIN — Mack Brown was an aspiring young offensive coordinator 21 years ago when he posed a question to his boss, Barry Switzer. Which coaching job was college football's best?

When Brown asked then-mentor Barry Switzer what the best college coaching job was 21 years ago, the Oklahoma coach told him Texas.

Switzer had won a couple of national championships at Oklahoma and in another year he would win a third. But the OU institution didn't hesitate in pointing south across the Red River.

"I said the University of Texas," he recalls.

http://usatoday30.usatoday.com/sports/college/football/big12/2005-12-02-mack-brown_x.htm

olevetonahill
2/28/2013, 01:28 AM
Heh, The King knew what he was doing. Send that stupid sombitch down there so they could be our Bitch for years to come.:wink:

cleller
2/28/2013, 09:43 AM
Unless something drastic happens within the Big 12, Texas will not be above ATM on that list very long.

Maybe Austin is better than College Station, whatever, but Sumlin and the SEC will strip Mack of all the prime recruits. They'd also blow them off the field.

Ruf/Nek7
2/28/2013, 09:52 AM
Shocked on two accords. 1. There is no mention of the glorious lhn that pumps money right into austin. 2. We are actually ranked that high. They must have seen our thread about Bob Stoops' home.

Soonerjeepman
2/28/2013, 10:07 AM
"Not every coach has won big at Oklahoma — John Blake went 8–16 in three seasons (1996-98) — but it is clearly one of the marquee jobs in the nation. Winning a national championship is well within your reach."

really you (article) site JOHN BLAKE...dude couldn't win ANYWHERE, he COULD NOT coach...has nothing to do with OU...geeze.

stoops the eternal pimp
2/28/2013, 10:17 AM
if you can't get the number of games played in 3 season right, i can't read you...Meaning, more than 24 games were played through 3 seasons.

thecrimsoncrusader
2/28/2013, 10:19 AM
Unless something drastic happens within the Big 12, Texas will not above ATM on that list very long.

Maybe Austin is better than College Station, whatever, but Sumlin and the SEC will strip Mack of all the prime recruits. They'd also blow them off the field.

Sumlin won't stay at the Mickey Mouse college long. ATM is just a means to and end.

KantoSooner
2/28/2013, 10:33 AM
"Cons: Since Oklahoma State joined the Big Eight in 1960, the Cowboys have finished ahead of Oklahoma five times. The school will always be the No. 2 program in the state."

Perhaps a bit harsh, but I laughed when I read this.

OkieThunderLion
2/28/2013, 10:33 AM
I agree with the list. I think he nailed the top 10.
1 Texas
2 Florida
3 Bama

Soonerjeepman
2/28/2013, 12:18 PM
if you can't get the number of games played in 3 season right, i can't read you...Meaning, more than 24 games were played through 3 seasons.
that was from the website...not mine...maybe the author meant conf record? don't know~

badger
2/28/2013, 01:58 PM
Top pay, zero accountability. Lovely job you have there, Mr. Brown

8timechamps
2/28/2013, 05:16 PM
I don't have a problem with their list. Texas would probably be at the top on support for the program alone. Then there's the fertile recruiting ground, funding, administration support, etc. It's a sleeping giant right now. Hope it stays that way for a while.

If you notice, Oklahoma is really the only team in the top 10 that isn't located in a rich recruiting state. That tell's you just about everything.

KantoSooner
2/28/2013, 05:25 PM
And probably explains why Bob appears to have geared OU into one of the few teams that is now truly recruiting nationally. I would guess that he and Castiglione have decided that OU is going to have to be a national brand or suffer the fate of an Arkansas or Nebraska.

stoops the eternal pimp
2/28/2013, 05:31 PM
that was from the website...not mine...maybe the author meant conf record? don't know~

Oh yeah I know..I was saying I can't read the article because he can't count games.. and Blake was 7-17 in conference so even that isn't right..

Herr Scholz
2/28/2013, 06:32 PM
If you notice, Oklahoma is really the only team in the top 10 that isn't located in a rich recruiting state. That tell's you just about everything.
I'd throw LSU in there too. Their state population is 4.6M to your 3.8M. And then there's ND. Indiana isn't exactly a hotbed but they go national. All 3 are on the list for a reason though.

Anyway, OU is a national brand plus you've always been able to get Texas kids. Not to mention the history. That's why it's a top job.

8timechamps
2/28/2013, 06:56 PM
I'd throw LSU in there too. Their state population is 4.6M to your 3.8M. And then there's ND. Indiana isn't exactly a hotbed but they go national. All 3 are on the list for a reason though.

Anyway, OU is a national brand plus you've always been able to get Texas kids. Not to mention the history. That's why it's a top job.

I don't know, Louisiana typically has a lot of home grown talent. Les Miles can't throw a rock out of his office without hitting a D1 defensive lineman. But, I'd put Louisiana on the bottom of the talent rich states.

Notre Dame does it on national brand though, as Indiana is not a talent rich state. Then again, Notre Dame has the biggest nation wide fan base, so it's not as hard as say a team like Indiana or Purdue.

There's no question that OU's success has been, in large part, credited to the ability to land top recruits out of Texas.

Since71ASooner4Life
2/28/2013, 09:32 PM
Sure it is - you get paid a fortune, and with cream of the crop talent you can have a mediocre record and still keep your job.

bluedogok
2/28/2013, 11:59 PM
Texas is one of the top jobs but as he said, there are pluses and minuses just like everywhere else. There's huge pay and a lot of built in advantages but a lot of coaches wouldn't want to put up with all the politics, glad handing and coverage (ie Longhorn Network) such as a Gary Patterson who just likes to coach. UT and Austin have a ton to offer and Texas is a recruiting hotbed but it's not like other teams don't have stocked 85-man rosters too. Just look at A&M. They have some of the same advantages such as recruiting hotbed and huge, rabid fanbase but they haven't won it all in 3/4 of a century.
That is why about half the names that my UT friends bring up I just dismiss, most aren't the political animal that Mack is and would have a hard time putting with the expectations of what the HC of Texas has to do. There is no way Chip Kelly (the hot name for my friends towards the end of last season) would put up with it.

Sumlin won't stay at the Mickey Mouse college long. ATM is just a means to and end.TAMU has the means to be a destination job, I don't anticipate him going somewhere else unless he has a desire to go to the NFL.

MyT Oklahoma
3/2/2013, 12:57 PM
Top pay, zero accountability. Lovely job you have there, Mr. Brown

"It is what it is."

goingoneight
3/3/2013, 05:59 PM
Ask elite level coaches what it takes to win championships and Texas has every bit of it and much to spare. That said, they still have to get it done. Look at how bad OU's defense has been the last two years and they've thrown those Johnny 5-stars all around the Cotton Bowl like ragdolls.
If [insert top-flite coach name here] said Texas needed the biggest weight training facility in the nation-- they'd build it.
If "" said he needs to make a last-minute flight out to the other side of the country to visit a recruit, they'd have the jet running for him as soon as he arrives.

Few programs have these advantages built in along with their location.

thecrimsoncrusader
3/4/2013, 03:37 PM
LSU has a 4.6 million population, but 3.6 million of them are "athletic" in nature. Oklahoma is a lot more white than Louisiana, so LSU has a big advantage there in recruiting.