PDA

View Full Version : ARE WE DOOMED?

StoopTroup
2/27/2013, 02:56 AM
Comet is coming and will possibly be seen by the naked eye.

http://landing.newsinc.com/shared/video.html?freewheel=91227&sitesection=catholiconline&VID=23841783

Another comet passing near the sun is brightening close to naked-eye visibility. If the comet brightens further, it will become the first of no less than three such comets to appear visible to the naked eye in 2013 alone, making this year the "Year of the Comet."

http://www.catholic.org/technology/story.php?id=49636

cleller
2/27/2013, 08:44 AM
Halle-Bopp was a lot of fun. Memorable. Wish I'd had a telescope when that one came around. Got one for Christmas shortly after that.

Hopefully some of these next ones will be half as good.

FirstandGoal
2/27/2013, 01:02 PM
I'm not worried. I've started running again so by the time this thing comes I will be able to run rilly rilly fast and all the rest of you fat asses will be overcome by the zombie apocalypse. :onthego:

StoopTroup
2/27/2013, 01:26 PM
I got all of this from some documentary stuff that was talking about that last Asteroid that went by and the meteorite that exploded over Russia. One of the Scientists was saying that if that Russian one hadn't exploded in air and instead had hit the surface of the Earth there.....it would have been equivalent to 40 Hiroshima Bombs. The one that hit 100 miles near there in 1908 supposedly was the equivalent of 185 Hiroshima Explosions. It wiped out everything in a 820 mile circle when it hit.

This all went on to say that they think another huge Asteroid is scheduled to enter Earths Atmosphere around 2036 and that some are talking about nudging it away from Earth in 2029 when it comes really close to us but isn't predicted to hit.

One of the wildest things is that NASA only has around 100 people watching the vastness of space that produces these potential bombs upon our Earth. Since 2012 DA14 was only 17,000 miles away and we didn't really here a lot about it and the Russian meteor wasn't even seen until reports of the in air blast came from Russia....it makes you think about how much or what is missed.

tator
2/27/2013, 02:01 PM
ARE WE DOOMED?

Eventually and at some point, we all are, yes.

KantoSooner
2/27/2013, 02:23 PM
Are we doomed?

Yes. Yes we are. Mind, that this might not happen for another several million years, or tomorrow. But, yes, ultimately, even if we escape the meteors and comets, our sun will eventually go nova and consume us in a wave of radiation. All nobility and beauty ever known on this earth will be extinguished and sintered. Ashes will, indeed, go back to ashes; and dust to dust, except where the power of our dying sun literally rips the molecular bonds apart and rends the dust into primal elements.

So I'm really not sweating my sales calls next week.

In the larger scheme of things.

StoopTroup
2/27/2013, 06:05 PM
What if mission probes found another Earth for us to go to and they were all just cavemen in the grand scheme of things and their Women were hawt and understood their role in life? Would we want to tell the Women of Earth about it and just leave before our Sun went Super Nova?

Soonerjeepman
2/27/2013, 06:25 PM
What if mission probes found another Earth for us to go to and they were all just cavemen in the grand scheme of things and their Women were hawt and understood their role in life? Would we want to tell the Women of Earth about it and just leave before our Sun went Super Nova?

ummm...nope.

Blue
2/27/2013, 08:46 PM
Google comet to hit Mars in October 2014. It will blow your mind. Would be a planet killer here.

StoopTroup
2/27/2013, 09:19 PM
ummm...nope.

I'll let you know once I'm Pope there. :wink:

ouwasp
2/27/2013, 09:24 PM
Thanks, Blue... that will be interesting to follow...

StoopTroup
2/27/2013, 09:56 PM
I liked when Jupiter got a shiner.

http://spaceweather.com/submissions/pics/d/David-Storey-Jupiter-.20090720_1248090218.jpg?PHPSESSID=h776e4omuih9pb2 9p28epnva26

Blue
2/27/2013, 09:57 PM
They were saying if it hit mars, it would be as bright as the sun in our skies.

StoopTroup
2/27/2013, 09:58 PM
Jupiter really got hit...imagine if something like that had hit a smaller planet...

http://bluemoviereviews.files.wordpress.com/2010/01/2010-2.jpg

Blue
2/27/2013, 09:59 PM
I'm hoping comet Ison will be as bright as the moon as well. You never know until they get close how they are going to be.

KantoSooner
2/28/2013, 09:35 AM

I like your optimism! One caveat, however: if you intend on leaving the Earthwomen behind, make very, very sure your rocket ship was completely foolproof. Having to come back after that would entail some 'splaining to the Earthwomen that, even on my finest day, would be a tall mountain to climb.
Don't leave any maps behind, either. You would NOT want to have them catch up.