PDA

View Full Version : Who's the favorite?!

8timechamps
2/26/2013, 09:02 PM
Seems that every year, there is one (or two) teams that stand out above the rest. This year, there is no clear front runner. Indiana, who I think has been slightly overrated recently, looks like they'll drop a game tonight to Minnesota (and even if they pull it out, they haven't looked that good). It doesn't look like they're any stronger than Duke, or Miami, or even KU. OU beat KU, and I think they could do it again, so does that mean this year is wide open...so much so, that even a team like OU could win it all?

Eielson
2/26/2013, 09:39 PM
I don't consider this Kansas team a contender. I'd put them in the second, maybe even third tier. Indiana is far from invincible, but I'd say they're a pretty solid favorite. I'd give Duke, Gonzaga, Miami, Florida, and Georgetown all the advantage over Kansas, and I don't like our odds of making it competitive if we get one of those draws in the tournament.

Soonerjeepman
2/26/2013, 09:42 PM
Michigan st, Wisconsin, duke, gonzaga, miami...I don't think ku is athletic enough.

badger
2/27/2013, 09:16 AM
When I was little, Gonzaga was still a "Cinderella," so I don't see how they can't be anyone's favorite or at least second-favorite team. :)

8timechamps
2/27/2013, 04:58 PM
When I was little, Gonzaga was still a "Cinderella," so I don't see how they can't be anyone's favorite or at least second-favorite team. :)

So true. Now they're almost assured a #1 seed.

8timechamps
2/27/2013, 05:01 PM
I don't consider this Kansas team a contender. I'd put them in the second, maybe even third tier. Indiana is far from invincible, but I'd say they're a pretty solid favorite. I'd give Duke, Gonzaga, Miami, Florida, and Georgetown all the advantage over Kansas, and I don't like our odds of making it competitive if we get one of those draws in the tournament.

Michigan st, Wisconsin, duke, gonzaga, miami...I don't think ku is athletic enough.

You both are probably correct, but I keep thinking that the talent at KU is going to eventually show up.

Eielson, I know you're closer to being right than I am about OU being able to play with the big boys...I just have this feeling that we're going to upset someone in the tournament. I'm not saying we're going to the Final Four or anything, but I can see someone overlooking this team, and getting booted.

8timechamps
2/27/2013, 05:11 PM

See, you are falling into the media hype. Look at these sets of statistics:

Conference record: 11-4
RPI: 25
Strength of schedule: 18

Conference record: 9-5
RPI: 20
Strength of schedule: 7

Conference record: 10-5
RPI: 18
Strength of schedule: 20

Three teams that are all in the top 25 of the RPI. Three teams with similar conference records. Three teams with SOS in the top 20. Can you guess who they are? In order (from top to bottom); Wisconsin, Oklahoma and Ohio State.

On paper, all three are very similar, with the only big exception being OU's strength of schedule is in the top 10. How are they all actually ranked in the polls? In order (from top to bottom); 16, UR, 17.

Hard for me to understand how the pollsters ranked (or in OU's case, didn't rank) these teams. I'm not arguing that OU should be in the top 20, but I am arguing that the Big 10 is overrated. And if not, then the Big XII is underrated.

badger
2/27/2013, 05:25 PM
Why you should not buy into the B1G hype:

THE BIG TEN HAS NOT WON THE NCAA TOURNAMENT SINCE 2000.

Makes a good argument for why the SEC may suddenly not dominate if they have to play in a tournament-like thing to get the football championship

Of course, they might win it all this year. Hell any of the 68 teams could win it all with the way the regular season went (cmon Sooners!)

Soonerjeepman
2/27/2013, 05:54 PM
I just saw them the other week....maybe against tosu? I thought they looked pretty good. The one thing about MM is one game at a time.

Even Minn upsetting IU...I can see OU making some noise. I'm hopeful to the team gets past the first weekend...that would really be sweet.

Eielson
2/27/2013, 06:08 PM
I'm not gonna say that we can't beat the top teams, but making a run at a 5 seed would do wonders for our Sweet 16 odds. A 6 seed could be nice, too, if we got the right draw. I don't want anything to do with the RPI top 10 right now come tournament time (except New Mexico and maybe Kansas).

8timechamps
3/5/2013, 10:44 PM
If you had to name your top 4 #1 seeds, who would you go with?

Here's mine:

Gonzaga
Duke
Kansas
Indiana (although I'd rather see Georgetown here, I know Indiana will get the 1 seed).

Spray
3/6/2013, 08:50 AM
If you had to name your top 4 #1 seeds, who would you go with?

Here's mine:

Gonzaga
Duke
Kansas
Indiana (although I'd rather see Georgetown here, I know Indiana will get the 1 seed).

I'd agree with those. I think the Big 10 has been a tough conference this year- I kind of like that Indiana team. I think you could interchange any of Duke, Kansas, G'Town, and Louisville and be okay. I think we are setting up for a fun tournament- because the top 10 has been so fluid this year anybody with a Top 3 seed can make some noise. I know it's blasphemy, but there is something about the Pokes that I like- they could be dangerous. Or they could go out in a spectacular ball of hellfire. Keep in mind, I am merely a casual viewer, so swallow a big grain of salt along with anything I post.

Lott's Bandana
3/6/2013, 09:03 AM
Regardless of the regular season, I expect the two teams from the Bluegrass State to go far...per usual.

Something about being an Italian snake and coaching basketball seems to work.

8timechamps
3/6/2013, 11:06 PM
Indiana loses to Ohio State last night.
Georgetown loses to Villanova tonight.
Miami loses to Georgia Tech tonight.

3 potential #1 seeds popped. G'town and Miami may be flirting with #3 seeds, while I think Indiana is hanging on to a #1 seed (by the skin of their teeth).

8timechamps
3/9/2013, 09:39 PM
I'd agree with those. I think the Big 10 has been a tough conference this year- I kind of like that Indiana team. I think you could interchange any of Duke, Kansas, G'Town, and Louisville and be okay. I think we are setting up for a fun tournament- because the top 10 has been so fluid this year anybody with a Top 3 seed can make some noise. I know it's blasphemy, but there is something about the Pokes that I like- they could be dangerous. Or they could go out in a spectacular ball of hellfire. Keep in mind, I am merely a casual viewer, so swallow a big grain of salt along with anything I post.

Don't know how I missed this before my last post, but I agree with what you said. There are probably 8 teams that could claim a top seed, so that means the tournament should have a wide array of teams that could win it all. Let's just hope the selection committee doesn't screw it up and put 5 of the 8 in the same regional!