PDA

View Full Version : 2014 RB Samaje Perine

8timechamps
2/26/2013, 08:47 PM
For anyone interested in 2014 recruiting, you've probably already heard about Samaje Perine. If not, you will.

Perine is already considered among the top RB recruits in the county by several ranking services, and once the others evaluate the 2014 class, he will be at or near the top of their lists too. The Pflugerville, Texas running back (Hendrickson High School) stands just under six feet (5'11"), and is considered equal parts power (213 lbs) and speed. Already with offers from several big name schools (including Oklahoma), Perine is a self admitted Tide fan.

Growing up an Alabama fan, Perine was overjoyed to pick up the recent offer and had nothing but good things to say about his recent visit to Tuscaloosa for Alabama's junior day. It wasn't his first time in Tuscaloosa, as he was recently an unofficial visitor for the 2012 Iron Bowl. While at Alabama's junior day this past weekend, Nick Saban offered a scholarship to Perine. Needless to say, it was like a dream come true for the kid that has grown up a Tide fan.

Unlike the 2013 class, OU seems to be moving a lot quicker this year, and was not late to the party for Perine. The Sooners offered Perine just prior to the Tide's offer, but it's going to be an uphill battle for the Sooners to land the services of Perine. Many folks thought Perine's commitment was a forgone conclusion, and the only thing standing between him and the Tide's class of 2014 was an Alabama offer. Turns out, many folks may be wrong.

Tradition being equal (or close), what does OU have to offer that Alabama doesn't? Lack of depth. Perine told reporters today that "OU has a slight lead" because the running back numbers are low. That, combined with Coach Gundy's relationship with Perine should keep the Sooners in the hunt. It's still early in the process, and you can't count the Tide anywhere near out of the picture, but Perine wants to get his recruiting settled in the next couple of months.

Oklahoma is looking to add at least 2 running backs to the 2014 class, and with the prevailing thought that Las Vegas RB Nathan Starks is a heavy OU lean, it's possible that the Sooners could again land elite talent at the RB spot for the next recruiting class.

Stay tuned...

boomersooner28
2/26/2013, 09:48 PM
Hmmmm I have a buddy that coaches Perine at Hendrickson. Too bad he is a whorn and hates OUr Sooners. lol I'll see what I can find out about the kid.

boomersooner28
2/26/2013, 10:35 PM
From my buddy who coaches Samaje Perine:

"Man, he's a stud and great kid. And actually OU is #1 on his list...I spoke with Coach Gundy a couple of weeks ago and he asked why Samaje hasn't had any major offers"....Bama came in quickly after OU

8timechamps
2/27/2013, 04:46 PM
From my buddy who coaches Samaje Perine:

"Man, he's a stud and great kid. And actually OU is #1 on his list...I spoke with Coach Gundy a couple of weeks ago and he asked why Samaje hasn't had any major offers"....Bama came in quickly after OU

What I'm hearing is that he likes the fact that OU's depth is much thinner than Bama. As for the offers, I'm sure he's going to have a ton by the time it's all done. I'm not sure Texas will even offer, as Perine doesn't seem to have any interest in the Horns at all.

Scott D
2/27/2013, 05:22 PM
Well it doesn't hurt that Bama brought in 3 guys as high profile RB's this year. That being said, he's going to be impressed with their junior day because I've gotten direct information from someone who was at their junior day that they bring out more than just all the bells and whistles. Their coaches really do their research, and it shows based upon the information about each kid they can rattle off about that kid and what their expectations of them are.

VA Sooner
3/2/2013, 11:45 PM
Emphasize the over-signing by Saban and we'll bring the kid here.

StoopTroup
3/3/2013, 12:58 AM
He looks kind of slow on film. IMO his best run on this is at 1:23 to 1:35. Of course if he makes it to Bama or OU....he can always get the help he needs to make it to the next level. A little work on these kids really can polish a rock into a beautiful stone that can skip across the pond.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_S-fBxq1WVo

8timechamps
3/11/2013, 08:37 PM
Samanje visited Norman today. No word on how the visit went, but I'd guess it went well.

OU looking good for RBs in this next class.

Salt City Sooner
3/13/2013, 04:26 PM
Samanje visited Norman today. No word on how the visit went, but I'd guess it went well.

OU looking good for RBs in this next class.
Nice guess.

Confirmed: Pflugerville Hendrickson RB Samaje Perine has committed to Oklahoma.

https://twitter.com/max_olson/status/311946386604167168

Boomer.....
3/13/2013, 04:51 PM
Awesome! Hopefully he stays committed.

Widescreen
3/13/2013, 05:19 PM
Looks like he has lots of experience running behind an OL that isn't great at making running lanes. So that's good.

RUSH LIMBAUGH is my clone!
3/13/2013, 05:23 PM
Here's the Scout profile:http://oklahoma.scout.com/a.z?s=146&p=8&c=1&nid=5907854

He's a four star in Rivals: http://rivals.yahoo.com/ncaa/football/recruiting/player-Samaje-Perine-133509;_ylt=AvRZWsTyHkyoLGEBof5590ZIPZB4

8timechamps
3/13/2013, 05:56 PM
Awesome! Hopefully he stays committed.

Yep, that's always the trick.

SoonerorLater
3/13/2013, 06:09 PM
Wow! 5' 11"" 231 lbs. and runs a 4.41 forty? This guy sounds like a bigger, faster Trent Richardson.

OUster
3/13/2013, 10:47 PM
I like this kid. He's a hoss! And, seems to love OU!

LittleElmSooner
3/14/2013, 09:40 AM
Wow! 5' 11"" 231 lbs. and runs a 4.41 forty? This guy sounds like a bigger, faster Trent Richardson.

So what's his REAL weight, Scout says 215, Rivals says 233. Kind of a big difference.

MojoRisen
3/14/2013, 10:04 AM
I heard 213 - 233 might be a typo.

boomersooner28
3/14/2013, 10:25 AM
Apparently he tore his ACL and MCL his sophomore season. Wasn't all the way back last year. Look for a HUGE season out of this kid this year at Hendrickson. Hopefully he will stay healthy and be 100% by the time he gets to OU!

Herr Scholz
3/14/2013, 11:19 AM
Good pickup. Top 5 RB in TX this year. If you can get the Vegas kid Starks to add to the Ford kid in the last class, you'll be set at RB for several years.

Salt City Sooner
3/14/2013, 01:07 PM
Apparently he tore his ACL and MCL his sophomore season. Wasn't all the way back last year. Look for a HUGE season out of this kid this year at Hendrickson. Hopefully he will stay healthy and be 100% by the time he gets to OU!
If he wasn't all the way back last year, he did one heck of a job faking it. Kid ran for over 2,000 yards.

BoomerJ
3/14/2013, 02:16 PM
I've also ready somewhere he's 220lbs. Either way he should pack some power running down hill. I like to see these big backs coming in. However, I have to ask, 8 time, do you really think this kid has 4.41 speed? I'm not so sure, even though I can tell he has decent speed and some quickness. I was able to see some of his Army All American Jr. day catching some balls. He's a good receiver as well.

8timechamps
3/14/2013, 04:04 PM
I've also ready somewhere he's 220lbs. Either way he should pack some power running down hill. I like to see these big backs coming in. However, I have to ask, 8 time, do you really think this kid has 4.41 speed? I'm not so sure, even though I can tell he has decent speed and some quickness. I was able to see some of his Army All American Jr. day catching some balls. He's a good receiver as well.

I never believe the 40 numbers posted online. However, since he's been to Norman I'm sure they've gotten a pretty accurate 40 on him, so it wouldn't surprise me if he is close to that.

From everyone that has seen him in person, the word is that he has a college ready body. One of the Scouts guys said he was the "most impressive specimen" he's seen at RB in the past 5 years.

I'm scratching my head a little about him, but only because I think Nathan Starks is one of the top three backs in this class, but he's not gotten the interest that Perine has received. We'll see I guess, but if Saban wanted him as bad as it appeared, he's got to be pretty good.

stoopified
3/15/2013, 08:27 PM
Heard the kid on KREF this afternoon with Hale.Says he is commited to OU and according to him is 5'11 235,with 4.59 speed,He also says he can bench 415.

8timechamps
3/15/2013, 09:16 PM
Heard the kid on KREF this afternoon with Hale.Says he is commited to OU and according to him is 5'11 235,with 4.59 speed,He also says he can bench 415.

No reason to doubt any of that. The 40 number sounds more accurate than some of the reports I had seen.

Widescreen
3/16/2013, 09:51 AM
Hopefully he'll lose a little weight and gain some speed.

Ground_Attack
3/17/2013, 12:44 PM
I don't think he needs to lose much weight. I think they are looking at him as the next Millard/Clapp/Runnels type player.

8timechamps
3/18/2013, 08:25 PM
He's getting hounded by FSU and Texas. He told the FSU recruiter that he has no interest, and never called the Texas recruiter back. He's getting an early start on hating Texas.

Herr Scholz
3/19/2013, 09:56 AM
He's getting hounded by FSU and Texas. He told the FSU recruiter that he has no interest, and never called the Texas recruiter back. He's getting an early start on hating Texas.
Haven't heard we were talking to him at all and I know we haven't offered. Not to say he's not a great RB but we already have Catalon and Gresham who are both highly ranked as well. I know we were looking at Leonard Fournette from New Orleans as well as Nathan Starks from Las Vegas but that's all I know of.

8timechamps
3/19/2013, 03:37 PM
Haven't heard we were talking to him at all and I know we haven't offered. Not to say he's not a great RB but we already have Catalon and Gresham who are both highly ranked as well. I know we were looking at Leonard Fournette from New Orleans as well as Nathan Starks from Las Vegas but that's all I know of.

The report of Texas calling came from Perine, so who knows.

Starks is probably the Sooners #1 target at RB (with Perine signed), but there are some other kids on the list (like Mixon out of Cali and Myles down in Georgia). It doesn't seem like the Sooners or the Horns have had trouble getting quality backs in recent years. That's one positive of the offensive minded conference we're in.

Fraggle145
3/19/2013, 07:58 PM
... or the Horns have had trouble getting quality backs in recent years.

Huh?

Herr Scholz
3/19/2013, 07:59 PM
Yeah, who knows. And you're right about the RBs. Perine and Starks will be very good for you guys. We're also supposedly targeting another RB now: Nick Chubb of Cedartown (GA.). He's got a pretty stout offer list. Our new RB coach Porter and OL coach Searels have been venturing out of Texas in the South more for this class, especially in Lousiana:

http://rivals.yahoo.com/texas/football/recruiting/player-Nick-Chubb-143831

8timechamps
3/19/2013, 08:01 PM
Huh?

Really?

I'm guessing you haven't followed the national recruiting scene over the past few years.

8timechamps
3/19/2013, 08:06 PM
Yeah, who knows. And you're right about the RBs. Perine and Starks will be very good for you guys. We're also supposedly targeting another RB now: Nick Chubb of Cedartown (GA.). He's got a pretty stout offer list. Our new RB coach Porter and OL coach Searels have been venturing out of Texas in the South more for this class, especially in Lousiana:

http://rivals.yahoo.com/texas/football/recruiting/player-Nick-Chubb-143831

Wow, I hadn't heard of Chubb, and I'm wondering how that happened. Very impressive looking back (and offer list).

On a different note, is Swoopes going to play QB at Texas? And for this class, is Heard the only QB offer?

Herr Scholz
3/19/2013, 11:38 PM
Wow, I hadn't heard of Chubb, and I'm wondering how that happened.
I hadn't either. Our new RB coach Larry Porter has some ties all over though. He's the one pushing for all the New Orleans recruits we're in on too.

On a different note, is Swoopes going to play QB at Texas? And for this class, is Heard the only QB offer?
Yeah, he's definitely going to be a QB. He's come in much more polished than he was at that Nike camp last year and of course he's got the athleticism. He's a specimen and is supposedly spinning the ball pretty well. I really have no idea who's going to be 2nd string this year. All of McCoy, Overstreet, Brewer and Swoopes are getting backup snaps right now. I would think one of Overstreet or Brewer are sure to transfer. And with Heard coming in, I doubt even Swoopes would redshirt if he can help us.

Yes, Heard is the only guy we're looking at taking in this class as far as I've seen.

Herr Scholz
3/20/2013, 01:40 PM
BTW, 8, we're starting to have Soph days. We'll have 2015 recruits on campus the next two weekends. Kind of crazy to me but kids these days want all the love as early as possible.

Confirmed for March 23:
QB/ATH Jaylon Henderson, Humble Kingwood Park
OL Aaron Garza, Sherman
DT Daylon Mack, Gladewater
LB Cameron Townsend, Fort Bend Ridge Point
DB Justin Dunning, Whitehouse
DB Kendall Sheffield, Fort Bend Marshall
DB Larry Pryor, Sulphur Springs

Confirmed for March 30:
QB Nathan Elliot, Celina
OL Mitchell Watanabe, San Antonio Brennan (possible)
LB Malik Jefferson, Mesquite Poteet (possible)
DB Deionte Thompson, West Orange-Stark
DB Johnny Shaw, Center

Fraggle145
3/20/2013, 05:05 PM
Really?

I'm guessing you haven't followed the national recruiting scene over the past few years.

I guess I was talking more about their on the field results in recent years rather than the recruits they were bringing in... Carry on...

8timechamps
3/20/2013, 06:51 PM
I guess I was talking more about their on the field results in recent years rather than the recruits they were bringing in... Carry on...

Well, that is still a mystery. And hopefully one that isn't solved anytime soon.

8timechamps
3/20/2013, 07:07 PM
For anyone interested, there is a video interview with Samaje over on ESPN.

Here's the link: Click Me (http://espn.go.com/video/clip?id=9069701)

The kid is HUGE.

Fraggle145
3/20/2013, 09:53 PM
Looks pretty stacked, makes me wonder how much room he has to grow. But seemed well-spoken for a high schooler. I like it when smart kids want to play here.

goingoneight
3/24/2013, 05:30 PM
Looks pretty stacked, makes me wonder how much room he has to grow. But seemed well-spoken for a high schooler. I like it when smart kids want to play here.

I think the predictions of him being recruited for a Runnels/Millard role are pretty accurate looking at his build and his HS film.

Soonerjeepman
3/24/2013, 05:48 PM
dude is frickin huge..

VA Sooner
3/24/2013, 08:28 PM
Need more bruising backs on the team.

Curly Bill
3/25/2013, 07:55 AM
We need some bruising offensive and defensive linemen on the team!